2011-2012 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Location?

NYC...

Did not get a personalized note... the letter was addressed to me and it looks like the Dean signed it but that's it...

Members don't see this ad.

600-800??? Geez...why is the waitlist so huge?

Is it ranked?

Based on last year, apparently depending on if you got a note or not, it was "kinda" ranked - not sure if anyone got notes this year. But officially, Columbia says they don't rank. Realistically though, with a waitlist that large, they must have some way of categorizing applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any Canadian/international (living outside of the U.S) comment on whether they have received an international acceptance phone call/letter or waitlist letter?

I live in Ontario and still nothing.... :thumbdown:

Can any Canadian/international (living outside of the U.S) comment on whether they have received an international acceptance phone call/letter or waitlist letter?

I live in Ontario and still nothing.... :thumbdown:

Nothing in Toronto yet…

Also the London (Ontario) club scene is pretty great, in case you were wondering

Last edited:
came home from work yesterday to a large packet from Columbia! I live in southern CA...good luck everyone!

came home from work yesterday to a large packet from Columbia! I live in southern CA...good luck everyone!

Ahhh this is going to drive me insane, my campus won't deliver mail until Monday. Congratulations though! :)

Does anyone know if the form included in the admissions packet is a form for simply accepting their offer/holding our spot in the class, or is it a form for intent to matriculate? It wasn't very clear in the instructions. Thanks!

Just got a waitlist letter. I'm in NYC and the letter was postmarked March 2nd.

Anyone get a personal message from the Dean on their letter? Last year's thread showed some people with written notes
My s.o. and I both got a little hand-written congratulations note from Dean Nicholas (love him!) on our acceptance letters but it was exactly the same note haha so I'm not sure if it quite counts as personalized.

Does anyone know if the form included in the admissions packet is a form for simply accepting their offer/holding our spot in the class, or is it a form for intent to matriculate? It wasn't very clear in the instructions. Thanks!

The former

My s.o. and I both got a little hand-written congratulations note from Dean Nicholas (love him!) on our acceptance letters but it was exactly the same note haha so I'm not sure if it quite counts as personalized.

Me too. Made me feel special all the same.

For people who have waitlist letters.. is this the same as this letter I have that says "a list of alternates?" Just curious, because mine doesn't say the word "waitlist." Good luck everyone!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone elaborate on financial aid? I've already asked this via PM, and I really appreciate the answer I was given, I'm just super nervous. This is my only acceptance (and that really isn't likely to change) so I'm not really asking to help make a decision, but simply wondering just how much I should brace myself.

In addition, congrats to everyone since my last post! Good luck on Monday for those still waiting.

Waitlisted here too. Congrats to those accepted!

Can anyone elaborate on financial aid? I've already asked this via PM, and I really appreciate the answer I was given, I'm just super nervous. This is my only acceptance (and that really isn't likely to change) so I'm not really asking to help make a decision, but simply wondering just how much I should brace myself.

In addition, congrats to everyone since my last post! Good luck on Monday for those still waiting.

It depends on the type. Need based at columbia is excellent, and they are very crafty about ringing out every last drop. Merit based is good, but it is much more fragment. There are hundreds if not thousands of them, but many are very specific. When you get. Your fin aid. Packet they. Will include a paper for you to list some biographical info, so that they can filter the scholarships.

those of you who were wait listed - did any of you get a personalized note on your letter?

those of you who were wait listed - did any of you get a personalized note on your letter?

I don't know how personalized it was, but I did receive a handwritten note on my letter

Something along the lines of "we will continue to strongly consider you"

I got the acceptance letter in the mail never received a call

I know this is sort of silly but.... is there a facebook group for the class of 2016 yet?

Waitlisted in central PA. I have been lurking in this thread for a while, and I figured I could contribute to the neuroticism. Yay, I'm contributing!

Not sure if I will accept the waitlist position... I did not have many good feelings during my interview day, especially when my interviewer's only major question was, "So, since you come from a small liberal arts college, how will you get along with the Harvard snobs?" In hindsight, perhaps there was a strong implication in those words.

Also in hindsight, perhaps I should not have responded "LOLWUT."

Got my waitlist letter in Ohio. Does anyone else's say they are "very highly ranked" within the text of the letter? I don't know if they write that in all of them? No hand written note.

Waitlisted in central PA. I have been lurking in this thread for a while, and I figured I could contribute to the neuroticism. Yay, I'm contributing!

Not sure if I will accept the waitlist position... I did not have many good feelings during my interview day, especially when my interviewer's only major question was, "So, since you come from a small liberal arts college, how will you get along with the Harvard snobs?" In hindsight, perhaps there was a strong implication in those words.

Also in hindsight, perhaps I should not have responded "LOLWUT."

Woah...I definitely didn't go to an Ivy League school for undergrad and was not asked about this at all. My interviewer was a feisty New Yorker...so we discussed our mutual distaste for Rick Santorum. Seriously though, I didn't get a snobby vibe from anyone...did you? I thought everyone was super nice.

wow.... ouch...
so am I the first person to post on SDN that I received a post-interview rejection in the mail? Feels lonely...

To Quote Dr. Seuss (my favorite doctor of all time):

"All alone. Whether you like it or not, alone will be something you'll be quite a lot. And when you're alone there's a very good chance you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants! There are some down the road between hither and yon that can scare you so much you won't want to go on (like a rejection from Columbia P&S). But... On you will go, though the weather be foul. On you will go though your enemies prowl. On you will go though the hacken kacks howl. Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak.
And you will succeed? Yes! You will, indeed. (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed!) Kid, you'll move mountains! So, be your name Bauxbaum, Bixby, or Bray, or Mordecai Ally Van Allen O'Shea, you're off to great places, today is your day, your mountain is waiting... so get on your way!"

A little inspiration to you all, accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, from me in my son's nursery to my fellow SDNers... Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Last edited:
Balls, rejected. (post-interview)

Last edited:
Now I'm eager to check the mail today! You never know...

You guys get the mail so early! For some reason, the mail doesn't usually come to my house until around 5pm

Got my waitlist letter in Ohio. Does anyone else's say they are "very highly ranked" within the text of the letter? I don't know if they write that in all of them? No hand written note.

Same here. I believe that is the default letter.

Woah...I definitely didn't go to an Ivy League school for undergrad and was not asked about this at all. My interviewer was a feisty New Yorker...so we discussed our mutual distaste for Rick Santorum. Seriously though, I didn't get a snobby vibe from anyone...did you? I thought everyone was super nice.

Certainly not from the students. I had heard about some problems with internal competition before I attended the interview, but, at least while observing students for one day, I did not notice any of the usual warning signs.

My interviewer seemed to perform multiple compliment sanwiches by alternating discussions about my GPA/MCAT and my academic/social circumstances. I assume he meant that while my stats were good enough, I would not fit in with the Ivy League students for some reason or another. Before I left the interview room, he said, "You won't have a problem being successful here, but please think about where you will be most happy." I must admit that he was very kind in general.

By the way, Rick Santorum's predecessor was a much better representative for this area of PA. Many people cannot understand how he replaced that former rep.

There are a few varied letters, none of which guarantee acceptance or rejection. The only truly clear hint at ones status comes from personalization, but not everyone who gets a personalized letter is accepted nor are those without personalization rejected. The best policy in either case is to stay in touch,keep updating, and let them know if you want to come here. Don't get crazy about it, however, certainly not more than once a month and keep in mind most waitlist movement starts in May.

There are a few varied letters, none of which guarantee acceptance or rejection. The only truly clear hint at ones status comes from personalization, but not everyone who gets a personalized letter is accepted nor are those without personalization rejected. The best policy in either case is to stay in touch,keep updating, and let them know if you want to come here. Don't get crazy about it, however, certainly not more than once a month and keep in mind most waitlist movement starts in May.

What do you do if there is nothing new to actually update? And what is the best way to stay in touch - email?

Same here. I believe that is the default letter.

Certainly not from the students. I had heard about some problems with internal competition before I attended the interview, but, at least while observing students for one day, I did not notice any of the usual warning signs.

My interviewer seemed to perform multiple compliment sanwiches by alternating discussions about my GPA/MCAT and my academic/social circumstances. I assume he meant that while my stats were good enough, I would not fit in with the Ivy League students for some reason or another. Before I left the interview room, he said, "You won't have a problem being successful here, but please think about where you will be most happy." I must admit that he was very kind in general.

By the way, Rick Santorum's predecessor was a much better representative for this area of PA. Many people cannot understand how he replaced that former rep.

Some of our interviewers have a very dry sense of humor. He may have been joking with you about the blue streak that Columbia and other Ivies tend to have their share of. I went to a public uni on the reverse spectrum from that of the Ivies and I have never felt like an oddity in my interactions with students or faculty. If anything it has been a point of the glorious diversity that Columbia prides itself on attracting. We also pride ourselves on emphasizing happiness above all other factors in making your decision for medical school. Pre-meds and medical students are essentially all type A and we often have certain obsessive compulsive personality traits deeply ingrained into our psyche. One of the most common is the ability to excessively withhold gratification. Some people can fall into the trap of "I just have to suffer through x and then I'll be happy." The problem is there is a y after x and a z after y. There is no free coupon to relive the 20 years of your life spent on getting to a comfortable part of your career as a physician. This is your life, and being happy during it cannot be overrated. He may just have been trying to give you good advice.

Rejected. South Florida. Pretty bummed. Hopefully get some better news the rest of this month. Post-interview.

Rejected. South Florida. Pretty bummed. Hopefully get some better news the rest of this month. Post-interview.

I'm sorry to hear that. At least, according to your signature, you have acceptances at other places.

I'm sorry to hear that. At least, according to your signature, you have acceptances at other places.

That's true, and I'm very grateful for having acceptances. It's just that Columbia was my top choice for a couple of reasons. Good luck to everyone else.

Officially rejected.. :-( Not even wait-listed!

This is a huge bummer for me because I actually felt like I had a good chance. I thought my interview went really well because it was overwhelmingly positive though in retrospect I'll admit I didn't really 'connect' with my interviewer so much. Regardless, he told me that he thought I'd be a great candidate for the school and the dean of admissions seemed to really like me too. This was my first decision this app cycle and I haven't been accepted anywhere else yet so my confidence took a hit on this one. Oh well, can't ruminate too much about it. Fortunately, I still get to hear back from 3 other great schools.

Congratulations to everyone that got in to such a great school.. and good luck to everyone else!

waitlisted! :)

no other acceptances. I hope it is true that there are spots for waitlisters with no other acceptances.

mmm and rougeunicorn can you confirm this so I have a little more peace of mind?

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but do you guys know how much time is spent on lectures, labs, small groups, etc...? I wanted to get a breakdown of the activities. Also, is the curriculum systems-based? I think it is, but I just want to confirm.

Thanks!

Waitlisted, letter sent to my permanent address in the bay area. No personalization, unless the macro that put my name in the greeting counts. And just to make me feel better, I'm going to call that personalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.