2011-2012 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know what the grading distribution tends to be for the major clinical year, as in what percentage if students get honors, high pass, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely very early for second interview requests. Feel free to send an update. Second interviews typically start in the late April- early May period.

so when should we send a request? I was thinking first week of april. Was going to send an update letter that included a request for a second interview in it. that sound about right?

Members don't see this ad :)
so when should we send a request? I was thinking first week of april. Was going to send an update letter that included a request for a second interview in it. that sound about right?

Mid april is fine if you are emailing, but yeah update + request.

Dear mmmcdowe,
I was wondering if you could possibly post the average of the step 1 scores for Columbia when you find out. I would be really interested to see how this new structure affects performance on the exam. Also, I was wondering whether the class before you had 2 years preclinical or was is still 1.5 and then step 1 and then the wards? And also I was wondering if you recall how students and assessed during the preclinical and clinical years-i.e are there quizzes, exams, practicals, etc? Do students take some exams in groups ( I heard some schools do this)? are there oral exams? etc....

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on how feasible it is to take a research year at Columbia (do five years of med school)? In most schools, people can take a year off after third year rotations, but how would this work at Columbia since they have the condensed preclinical curriculum, and take Step 1's after 2.5 years? Thanks in advance!

Can anyone comment on how feasible it is to take a research year at Columbia (do five years of med school)? In most schools, people can take a year off after third year rotations, but how would this work at Columbia since they have the condensed preclinical curriculum, and take Step 1's after 2.5 years? Thanks in advance!

Absolutely, 20% of our class takes a research year and 20% does a second degree. In either case, in some cases you can either start immediately after finishing clinical year (december) or in the typical fashion starting in June/July (6 months after you finish clinical year). If you start in January, they just postpone your last clinical rotation so that you have time to study for the step 1 before January. I myself am taking a research year off starting in July. Until then, I can either do more research (for a total of 16t months) or I can do four 1 month electives. I'm choosing to do the extra research months, but others are choosing to do electives.

Dear mmmcdowe,
I was wondering if you could possibly post the average of the step 1 scores for Columbia when you find out. I would be really interested to see how this new structure affects performance on the exam. Also, I was wondering whether the class before you had 2 years preclinical or was is still 1.5 and then step 1 and then the wards? And also I was wondering if you recall how students and assessed during the preclinical and clinical years-i.e are there quizzes, exams, practicals, etc? Do students take some exams in groups ( I heard some schools do this)? are there oral exams? etc....

Yes, i will. It was predicted to be 240 based on early estimates, but apparently it may be higher. The class before me was a tradition 2 year class followed by the step 1 and their average was 237. After getting the step 1 I feel pretty confident that the clinical year helped me (and it was also nice to have up to 10 weeks to study, though most people did 5-7). Well, pre-clinicals are pass fail unranked, but there are exams primarily (multiple choice). For anatomy, there are also practical exams. We also have a physical diagnosis exam where you do 2 histories and physicals in a short amount of time, then present to the attending (there is no fail grade for this, it's just for feedback before you start the clinical year). We take our anatomy practical exams in groups, but the written exams for anatomy and other courses are all by yourself. We do have a few (I believe five to ten question) quizzes throughout the 2nd and 3rd semesters (maybe 1 every other week). You take the quiz by yourself and then you take the quiz again in your group (this is part of our problem based learning part of the curriculum). No one has ever failed a block because of quiz scores. They are factored into your exam grade, but they are a small fraction of it. They also drop your lowest grade I believe. None of these "grades" are recorded after the block, just an indication of if you pass or fail.

Yes, i will. It was predicted to be 240 based on early estimates, but apparently it may be higher. The class before me was a tradition 2 year class followed by the step 1 and their average was 237. After getting the step 1 I feel pretty confident that the clinical year helped me (and it was also nice to have up to 10 weeks to study, though most people did 5-7). Well, pre-clinicals are pass fail unranked, but there are exams primarily (multiple choice). For anatomy, there are also practical exams. We also have a physical diagnosis exam where you do 2 histories and physicals in a short amount of time, then present to the attending (there is no fail grade for this, it's just for feedback before you start the clinical year). We take our anatomy practical exams in groups, but the written exams for anatomy and other courses are all by yourself. We do have a few (I believe five to ten question) quizzes throughout the 2nd and 3rd semesters (maybe 1 every other week). You take the quiz by yourself and then you take the quiz again in your group (this is part of our problem based learning part of the curriculum). No one has ever failed a block because of quiz scores. They are factored into your exam grade, but they are a small fraction of it. They also drop your lowest grade I believe. None of these "grades" are recorded after the block, just an indication of if you pass or fail.

I always read your posts with excitement. I really appreciate the effort you put into thoroughly answering our questions even though you don't have to. I really like Columbia but I am torn between Columbia, Yale, and Columbia. I'm just waiting for the financial aid information from the different schools to have a clearer picture.

I always read your posts with excitement. I really appreciate the effort you put into thoroughly answering our questions even though you don't have to. I really like Columbia but I am torn between Columbia, Yale, and Columbia. I'm just waiting for the financial aid information from the different schools to have a clearer picture.
Well I like the 2:1 odds you're giving us :) It's a pleasure to serve.

So last year when did movement off the Waitlist start? April or May?

Have any second interviews been granted so far this year? I am aiming to get my letter/request out this week. Waiting on a certificate from CME course that I took...

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any second interviews been granted so far this year? I am aiming to get my letter/request out this week. Waiting on a certificate from CME course that I took...

It's very early for second interviews. I haven't seen any.

When do you guys think the financial aid packages will be available?

When do you guys think the financial aid packages will be available?

I've been wondering the same thing. I think I remember hearing somewhere that they try to let us know by revisit.

On a related note, has anyone received log-in information for the website to check the status of their financial aid application?

Thanks!

I've been wondering the same thing. I think I remember hearing somewhere that they try to let us know by revisit.

On a related note, has anyone received log-in information for the website to check the status of their financial aid application?

Thanks!

It will be around this time, but as you said definitely by revisit. Same for the log in info.

It will be around this time, but as you said definitely by revisit. Same for the log in info.

Do you know when merit scholarships are awarded? Are they definitely awarded before May 15? I know some other schools, like Duke, unfortunately don't award any merit scholarships until after may 15 :(

Do you know when merit scholarships are awarded? Are they definitely awarded before May 15? I know some other schools, like Duke, unfortunately don't award any merit scholarships until after may 15 :(

not true...i know someone who was awarded a merit scholarship from Duke already.

not true...i know someone who was awarded a merit scholarship from Duke already.

+1 There are a couple of people on the thread who have full tuition scholarships from duke.

Hey mmmcdowe, do you happen to know when the White Coat Ceremony is? Is it the first Monday of orientation?

I sent the dean a letter and the delivery confirmation said it was received March 26th. However, I still haven't gotten a response from the office - do you think I should call and check?

Last edited:
I sent the dean a letter and the delivery confirmation said it was received March 26th. However, I still haven't gotten a response from the office - do you think I should call and check?

If it will put you at ease I'm sure they'd be happy to.

Thanks for the helpful answer.

One more question - is casual dress ok for second look weekend? I didn't see anything about dress code in the second look emails, but I know some schools are very picky about what you wear. Do most people wear jeans/casual clothes, or should we wear something a bit nicer? Thanks!

Thanks for the helpful answer.

One more question - is casual dress ok for second look weekend? I didn't see anything about dress code in the second look emails, but I know some schools are very picky about what you wear. Do most people wear jeans/casual clothes, or should we wear something a bit nicer? Thanks!

Casual is fine, though for going out at night that's more of a personal choice. The venues don't have a dress code, but I know some people like to dress up for that sort of thing.

For those of you who went to second look, could you please share your experiences during the weekend? I unfortunately couldn't make it and am hoping to get some information.

Thanks!

For those of you who went to second look, could you please share your experiences during the weekend? I unfortunately couldn't make it and am hoping to get some information.

Thanks!
Have you tried posting on facebook? If you don't have one I'd be happy to request people to email you if you want to PM me an address.

Has anyone on the wait list received a second interview yet?

Hey all, some updated info for you.

Second interviews do still exist, but they have been vastly reduced in number. The vast majority of waitlisted acceptances (80+%) will not be in conjunction with a second interview.

As far as significant waitlist movement, it isn't planned to begin until around May 15th this year. Anything between now and then is an outlier.

Hey all, some updated info for you.

Second interviews do still exist, but they have been vastly reduced in number. The vast majority of waitlisted acceptances (80+%) will not be in conjunction with a second interview.

As far as significant waitlist movement, it isn't planned to begin until around May 15th this year. Anything between now and then is an outlier.

Thanks for the update, I'm sure a lot of us waitlisters are sitting on the edge of our seats waiting.

Do you know what prompted such a change for this year? Does Dean Nicholas still control all waitlist decisions? Any idea of how the yield from this years acceptances has been?

Thanks for the update, I'm sure a lot of us waitlisters are sitting on the edge of our seats waiting.

Do you know what prompted such a change for this year? Does Dean Nicholas still control all waitlist decisions? Any idea of how the yield from this years acceptances has been?

I think the change is just part of the overall transfer of power from one Dean to the new one (Dr. Nicholas). Dr. Nicholas does not have complete control over the waitlist, it is more committee based now I believe though I imagine that he is still the dominant individual. It's too early to tell, because May 15th has not prompted the mass withdrawals.

Thanks again for your answers. Do you think that, when we write update letters, we should be addressing them to the dean or the committee as a whole now?

Withdrew my application from here. It was a tough decision but hopefully it opens up a spot for one of you guys. Good luck!

Withdrew my application from here. It was a tough decision but hopefully it opens up a spot for one of you guys. Good luck!

From all of us on the waitlist- thanks! Where did you decide to go?

Mmmcdowe- when do you think they will give out second interviews? I am dying for one. I was so sick the day I interviewed :(

From all of us on the waitlist- thanks! Where did you decide to go?

Mmmcdowe- when do you think they will give out second interviews? I am dying for one. I was so sick the day I interviewed :(

They have already started, but I would emphasize your sickness in any further requests.

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Straight from the horse's mouth:

Of the Class of 2013 cohort of students who completed 1.5 years of Fundamentals and the Major Clinical Year, and then took Step 1 in early 2012, the Step 1 mean was 241, with 100% pass rate. Scores for MD/PHD and OMFS students (who will have completed 0-2 MCY clerkships before taking the exam) have not all been received yet and were not included in this calculation.

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]The Step 2 Clinical Knowledge mean for the Class of 2012 was 243, with 100% pass rate...

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]The Step 2 Clinical Skills exam (Pass/Fail) pass rate was 100%..

They have already started, but I would emphasize your sickness in any further requests.

The interviews have started or they have started to give them out???

I called on Thursday And was told they haven't started yet but maybe that means ppl have been asked they are just not scheduled. Or the admissions lady was misinformed?

The interviews have started or they have started to give them out???

I called on Thursday And was told they haven't started yet but maybe that means ppl have been asked they are just not scheduled. Or the admissions lady was misinformed?

Both to my knowledge but definitely the latter. To emphasize again, second interviews are no longer going to be important for most waitlistees. The vast majoritynof students accepted won't get one.

So are we to expect a pretty large first Waitlist movement sometime next week or so?

In past years, it seems that people have been calling the Dean for news and updates. Has anyone tried that this year yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.