2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
n000.jpg

I don't know about you, but I thought ninja were supposed to be quiet... Does that look quiet?

Well, if I'm accepted to CCLCM, I'll be receiving a laptop of some kind I think. UP rejected me straight out.

But otherwise, I'll probably buy my computer online. I was looking at many school computer store's deals and they're less than impressive. Maybe you'll save 2% on a Mac, 5% on a PC. I can do better on online close-out sales.

I understand about the big screen. I do like a big screen at home and would love one at school (I have one at work at the moment), but I also like the ultraportable nature of laptops. I guess the best of both worlds to be at a school that gave you permanent work desks on campus. Alas.

True. I had considered getting a 17" laptop, but after a certain point, it stops being practical as a portable computing device.

Members don't see this ad.

B-b-but Diablo III!

(Would never run on my machine in a million years.)

:laugh: I've actually never gotten into those games. I, of course, know people who love them. I don't know if I want to get into it either with med school starting. I don't know how I would ever find the time.

:laugh: I've actually never gotten into those games. I, of course, know people who love them. I don't know if I want to get into it either with med school starting. I don't know how I would ever find the time. Are you saying it wouldn't run because Mac's don't have the gaming capabilities that PC's do?

The video cards are usually inferior. If you get the school spec, it's usually on-board, as well, meaning that it cannot be replaced or upgraded.

Members don't see this ad :)
The video cards are usually inferior. If you get the school spec, it's usually on-board, as well, meaning that it cannot be replaced or upgraded.

The ultrabooks I mentioned are similar. Graphics are integrated into the processor chips so no heavy game lifting if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm happy as long as I can run Baldur's Gate 2
Oh yeah!

The ultrabooks I mentioned are similar. Graphics are integrated into the processor chips so no heavy game lifting if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm happy as long as I can run Baldur's Gate 2
Oh yeah!

Ahaha. I don't think that'll be a problem for you. :hungover:

Eventually, I just gave up and bought a PS3. On a related note, I read an interesting article that suggested that PC gamers are holding back the development of games that make use of high-end graphics processing. The argument was something like "games must still be made to be playable on such a wide variety of machines, which limits possibilities."

I've always been a PC gamer, but I can see where they're coming from.

Eventually, I just gave up and bought a PS3. On a related note, I read an interesting article that suggested that PC gamers are holding back the development of games that make use of high-end graphics processing. The argument was something like "games must still be made to be playable on such a wide variety of machines, which limits possibilities."

I must disagree. Usually on release, consoles push graphics forward. This is less about the power of the hardware than its uniformity and the resulting software optimization. For example, the PS3's GPU, based on nVidia's 7900, was antiquated on release. Today, consoles, specifically ports of console games, limit graphical advances.

Ultrabooks are not monster gaming machines, but an nVidia 650m or 660m is certainly respectable.

Do you feel that you get significant enough free time to get a bit of gaming in during medical school Myuu?

Quick question,

Who do people use for internet access at Case company-wise?

I must disagree. Usually on release, consoles push graphics forward. This is less about the power of the hardware than its uniformity and the resulting software optimization. For example, the PS3's GPU, based on nVidia's 7900, was antiquated on release. Today, consoles, specifically ports of console games, limit graphical advances.

Ultrabooks are not monster gaming machines, but an nVidia 650m or 660m is certainly respectable.

True, true.

Do you feel that you get significant enough free time to get a bit of gaming in during medical school Myuu?

During the early blocks? Absolutely.

Quick question,

Who do people use for internet access at Case company-wise?

Anyone but Time Warner.

Last edited:
AT&T (uverse), also, fake uverse. Not really sure what other ISPs are available.

It sounds like everybody in the building I'll be living in gets Time Warner. Booo:thumbdown:

By the way, that was one bada** ninja post up top. One of your best yet.

Way to go! Congrats!

Yep! I had some football weight that I needed to lose now that I'm done playing. My playing weight was around 242, and now I'm down to 208. Gotta get ripped!

Hey! Alright mate! So similar here. 235 down to 210 so far. Definitely got to get in shape. It feels so good to be lighter on the feet. I'm dancing in lab, dancing I tell you! I'm 6'1". You?

Mine was pizza weight though, not football weight. It's my kryptonite.

Congrats to both of you! I know how you feel. I lost 20 pounds this semester by cutting out fast food, cheese, fried food, desserts, other stuff high in fat, etc. I also work out 1.5-2 hours a day now, and am training for a half-marathon.

Feels good, man!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to both of you! I know how you feel. I lost 20 pounds this semester by cutting out fast food, cheese, fried food, desserts, other stuff high in fat, etc. I also work out 1.5-2 hours a day now, and am training for a half-marathon.

Feels good, man!

Yikes! That's a lot of working out. Well done! I'm usually so tired after work, that unless I get an hour in in the morning, I'm sunk.

Yikes! That's a lot of working out. Well done! I'm usually so tired after work, that unless I get an hour in in the morning, I'm sunk.

Yeah, but it makes me feel so much better. At least 45 minutes of cardio, then stretching, abs and weights. Sometimes I'll go to the classes that 121 offers, like the spin cycle one that's 60 minutes. They're awesome!

Yeah, but it makes me feel so much better. At least 45 minutes of cardio, then stretching, abs and weights. Sometimes I'll go to the classes that 121 offers, like the spin cycle one that's 60 minutes. They're awesome!

I do my lifting and running on separate days. I find that I get my best gains that way, but I'm also a man and trying to maintain significantly more muscle mass than women (on average :smuggrin:).

Anybody from the December 6th interview group on here?

Anyone know Case's avg step 1 scores over the last few years?

Anyone know Case's avg step 1 scores over the last few years?

Firstly, keep in mind that judging a school based on average USMLE is about as useful as judging and undergraduate college based on students' average MCAT. Step 1 scores are highly dependent on the individual student. It just so happens that excellent students attend Case, and the teaching faculty are very reputable.

Straight from one of Christian's emails:

Since the implementation of the WR2 Curriculum, students in the Classes of 2010, 2011, & 2012 scored, on average, more than 10 points above the national average on USMLE Step 1.

I was accepted from the Alternate List today! I am so excited!!! First MD acceptance, re-applicant.

Another alternate list offer here as well! Interviewed back in early October. Shocked and delighted!
(UP, by the way)

Just got off the UP alternate list as well! So happyyyyy

Wow, big day for UP!

Congrats to all accepted. Let's home for some CCLCM movement soon as well!

Congrats everyone who got off the waitlist! For those of us still waiting, is this just the first big round or acceptances, or was that pretty much it?

Congrats to those of you who got pulled off the waitlist today!!! Now the tricky part of not getting discouraged that I wasn't one of them and continue to have hope :xf:

Congrats to those of you who got pulled off the waitlist today!!! Now the tricky part of not getting discouraged that I wasn't one of them and continue to have hope :xf:

+1

Exactly what went through my mind.

I was accepted from the Alternate List today! I am so excited!!! First MD acceptance, re-applicant.

accepted yesterday! first acceptance and re-applicant =]. Case was my #1 choice! WHAHOOOOOO

see you all in july!

I withdrew 2 days ago. Hope good luck for all of you. I only withdrew due to financial reasons. Case is a fantastic school.

Would someone mind sending me or posting the example, weekly schedule that was handed out on interview day for UP? I seem to have misplaced mine. Thanks!

Does anybody know of any good golf courses close to Case? Any that may have a student discount or anything?

Does anybody know of any good golf courses close to Case? Any that may have a student discount or anything?

Look up the metro parks golf courses...there are a bunch around cleveland and they are all very reasonable...manakiki, sleepy hollow, big met, seneca are decent.

is today or tomorrow the last day to hold multiple acceptances?

Withdrew from the WL today, I don't think I have much of a shot anymore and I'd rather someone else hopeful get any spots that open up. Good luck, you guys! :)

has only one person been called of the alternate list for cclcm? Hopefully we see some movement.

A quick CCLCM question:

I'm on the alternate list and I sent in a letter of Intent in Feb/March. Would it make sense to write the adcom another letter expressing my continued interest in the school, or would that just be overkill?

S

A quick CCLCM question:

I'm on the alternate list and I sent in a letter of Intent in Feb/March. Would it make sense to write the adcom another letter expressing my continued interest in the school, or would that just be overkill?

S

honestly don't know how much good it would do. I called admissions a few days ago trying to get some kind of clue where I stand. All they said is that there has been very little movement off the alternate list and you can get accepted any time from now until July 9, which is the first day of school. They also said the list is not ranked, which I heard before. At this point, I think we've done all we can do. It's just a waiting game from here on out.

I like how you're telling other applicants not to write letters...

Status
Not open for further replies.