2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took me waaaaay to long to get that.

Nontrad needs to start studying for the MCAT....:( only been 10 years since Ochem...

*edit:
ninja-training-canada-ninja-training-bmoc-8ft-10in-at-the-sh-demotivational-poster-1262810314.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:thumbup: You also forgot about Lord of the Rings fan too haha. Maiden in Detroit in mid July. Think about coming my man! Do you lift weights much? I need to see if you fit the stereotype for an ortho doc as well as I do.

Lord of the Rings geek check!
I used to run roleplaying games for my mates back in grad school.... think Cthulhu.

I just started again a few months ago. I lift 3 times a week and run 2 times. I'm training for a half marathon at the end of May. I'm not superfit anymore by a long shot. I play football, but the real football none of this american football nonsense that's so popular here. :D he he he I've also been practicing karate for the past 22 years. That's my main sport atm.

I can't come unless I'm accepted. lol. :)

Lord of the Rings geek check!
I used to run roleplaying games for my mates back in grad school.... think Cthulhu.

I just started again a few months ago. I lift 3 times a week and run 2 times. I'm training for a half marathon at the end of May. I'm not superfit anymore by a long shot. I play football, but the real football none of this american football nonsense that's so popular here. :D he he he I've also been practicing karate for the past 22 years. That's my main sport atm.

I can't come unless I'm accepted. lol. :)

Niiicccee. I'm most familiar with the Cthulhu mythos through Metallica. Karate guy, eh? Pretty badass. You can use those moves to snap some hips before you replace them. Well, I'll cross my fingers that you get a spot then!

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I know you guys like ninjas... and I like star wars.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9Qk6m_b74&ob=av3e[/YOUTUBE]

May the 4th be with you! :) It's the anniversary of Star Wars' release in theaters!

303323_10151634190565099_736820098_23572564_1621912164_n.jpg

Teh awesome Metallica. Teh Awesome.

I can't wait to learn about Midichlorians in histology.

Any idea what primary antibody would be used in the staining process? Anti-Jedi?

Oh well the primary would be specific for the midichlorians of course. Definitely want a monoclonal grown in whatever beastie you choose. We don't need much. Jedi's are rare. It's the secondary that would be anti-beastie.

Oh well the primary would be specific for the midichlorians of course. Definitely want a monoclonal grown in whatever beastie you choose. We don't need much. Jedi's are rare. It's the secondary that would be anti-beastie.

Imagine doing flow cytometry on midichlorians :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So far, only one person has been admitted to CCLCM eh? Here's hoping for more movement!!!

Got a question for CCLCM folks. Are there opportunities to ask questions on unclear concepts? Who would you ask? Say for example I don't understand the physiological basis of some symptom, I tried looking it up online and still don't get it .. In undergrad I could go to office hours, whats the equivalent if any at CCLCM. I remember self-learning was pretty big, but sometimes I've found asking a more experienced person is really helpful

jokerman, did you get off the CCLCM alternate list?

as for unclear concepts, I'd imagine you could ask classmates or the professor/clinician in charge of your course.

:eek: An actual question! Sorry...here we go! I am going to answer just the first question for now (too late tonight)
Got a question for CCLCM folks. Are there opportunities to ask questions on unclear concepts?
There are more opportunities than you can even imagine during the normal course of the CCLCM day. At most, there will be 32 people in the seminar with you. At most. Usually you break in to smaller groups - down to 4 or 6 to 1 faculty ratio. Remember, these are interactive too. This isn't a "sit there and listen to someone speak". You are often called down to the board to draw (I was on Wed, for example, asked to draw renal bicarbonate handling in detail).

If anything, there is real risk of people hijacking seminars/lectures/etc by OVER-engaging speakers/leaders/faculty. Abusing the opportunity, you know? Understanding is important - but you have to be cognizant of others in the room too. This cannot be over-stressed for people entering CCLCM - but this holds true at most med schools. Having a "one-on-one" convo even in the smallest group is somewhat selfish and not very helpful to others. In these situations, it is best to recognize that you are not "getting it" and withhold more than one or two questions for after seminars or seek out alternative sources of instruction. This, I think is part of taking ownership of your own learning. At least, the first step in taking ownership.

More to come when I can talk about who you ask etc...

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted to the MSTP program :)D) and am wondering if any women were looking for a roomate. Housing seems pretty cheap and I'd like to stay close to campus. PM me if you're interested or know someone who might be.

This may be a silly question, but what is appropriate attire for the White Coat ceremony for men? Full blown suit? Dress shirt, slacks, +/- a tie?

Thanks! :cool:

How much/month is it for a 121 membership for Case students again? Thanks!

Could any current Cclcm students tell me if Cclcm students get free membership to the walker gym?

Also, for any case/Cclcm students: where do people usually go to get inexpensive furniture for a first apartment? I'm used to always living within 30 minutes of an Ikea, but when I looked into delivery options/truck rental to go to the Pittsburg Ikea, it comes to around $200 :/ Any comparable options right in Cleveland? Or do people get a group to rent a uhaul?

you could always google furniture places in cleveland...check out their selection and prices online. Then go to the store and buy it. A lot of places have free delivery and installation if you're looking to get bed frame/dresser.

Could any current Cclcm students tell me if Cclcm students get free membership to the walker gym?

Also, for any case/Cclcm students: where do people usually go to get inexpensive furniture for a first apartment? I'm used to always living within 30 minutes of an Ikea, but when I looked into delivery options/truck rental to go to the Pittsburg Ikea, it comes to around $200 :/ Any comparable options right in Cleveland? Or do people get a group to rent a uhaul?

I get most of my furniture from craigslist, regardless of where I'm living.

Yes walker gym membership is free

Sent from my phone

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted to the MSTP program :)D) and am wondering if any women were looking for a roomate. Housing seems pretty cheap and I'd like to stay close to campus. PM me if you're interested or know someone who might be.

Luvscience, I just sent you a PM

This may be a silly question, but what is appropriate attire for the White Coat ceremony for men? Full blown suit? Dress shirt, slacks, +/- a tie?

Thanks! :cool:

Oh as for white coat size, if your suit size is in between two of the sizes go a step down. I'm a 42S, right in between two sizes and I went up to the large and that thing was huge.

Oh as for white coat size, if your suit size is in between two of the sizes go a step down. I'm a 42S, right in between two sizes and I went up to the large and that thing was huge.

I'm assuming you me when I give them my size for my white coat?

I need to go check what size suit I am now anyway. When I bought my suit for my interview, I was 20+ pounds heavier!

I didn't know if at the white coat ceremony we were expected to wear a suit or merely the slacks/dress shirt/tie get-up.

I'm assuming you me when I give them my size for my white coat?

I need to go check what size suit I am now anyway. When I bought my suit for my interview, I was 20+ pounds heavier!

I didn't know if at the white coat ceremony we were expected to wear a suit or merely the slacks/dress shirt/tie get-up.

Are you still losing? I'm 23 down now and dropping. Feel the burn!

Are you still losing? I'm 23 down now and dropping. Feel the burn!

Way to go! Congrats!

Yep! I had some football weight that I needed to lose now that I'm done playing. My playing weight was around 242, and now I'm down to 208. Gotta get ripped!

Way to go! Congrats!

Yep! I had some football weight that I needed to lose now that I'm done playing. My playing weight was around 242, and now I'm down to 208. Gotta get ripped!

Hey! Alright mate! So similar here. 235 down to 210 so far. Definitely got to get in shape. It feels so good to be lighter on the feet. I'm dancing in lab, dancing I tell you! I'm 6'1". You?

Mine was pizza weight though, not football weight. It's my kryptonite.

Hey! Alright mate! So similar here. 235 down to 210 so far. Definitely got to get in shape. It feels so good to be lighter on the feet. I'm dancing in lab, dancing I tell you! I'm 6'1". You?

Mine was pizza weight though, not football weight. It's my kryptonite.

Yes, it feels much better. My legs, knees, ankles, and shins don't hurt when I run long distances now ha. I'm 6'1" myself as well.

Next years Case thread is live and as yet still no Myuu posts or Ninjas. What gives?
:)

The Dell with the largest screen size possible :D. I'm stoked! I cannot stand having to do work on Macs (not that they're bad computers, I just despise them :smuggrin:).

I despise them too AND they're bad computers.

Extra cost for the name, expensive wire adaptors, no usb3, no hdmi port, operating system is basically linux.
The apple mentality has always been they know what you want, better than you do and to keep you entrapped in their proprietary hardware and software network. Thanks, but no thanks. Give me my hardware and software that's user-changable. How bout a friggin' SD card slot on anything? How bout a user replacable batter on an ipod? No flash support or usb slot on the iPhone? Seriously? Itunes... don't get me started.

I'm going with an intel ivy bridge ultrabook or an athon ultrathin. Although you might want to wait until Windows 8 comes out in October. I imagine you'll be seeing a lot of tablet/ultrabook hybrids since 8 caries a lot of touch screen support.

With the low voltage processors, the solid state drives, and lack of optical drive the batteries will last forever, they'll be super fast for non-gaming applications, and super portable. Just by yourself a big flat screen to hook it up to at home and you're set.

The Dell with the largest screen size possible :D. I'm stoked! I cannot stand having to do work on Macs (not that they're bad computers, I just despise them :smuggrin:).

I despise them too AND they're bad computers.

Extra cost for the name, expensive wire adaptors, no usb3, no hdmi port, operating system is basically linux.
The apple mentality has always been they know what you want, better than you do and to keep you entrapped in their proprietary hardware and software network. Thanks, but no thanks. Give me my hardware and software that's user-changable. How bout a friggin' SD card slot on anything? How bout a user replacable batter on an ipod? No flash support or usb slot on the iPhone? Seriously? Itunes... don't get me started.

I'm going with an intel ivy bridge ultrabook or an athon ultrathin. Although you might want to wait until Windows 8 comes out in October. I imagine you'll be seeing a lot of tablet/ultrabook hybrids since 8 caries a lot of touch screen support.

Oh, boys. Remind me to introduce you to my mac.

I fail to see how running a certified UNIX distro is basically linux, but ok. Everything is user-changeable, if you know what you're doing. This includes iPod batteries, drives, etc. Don't even bother dirtying my phone with a usb slot. Why would you do that? Why would you even need that? It's a phone. It makes phone calls. It's also quite capable of doing a host of other things, but I see absolutely no reason to have a usb (or mini-usb) or SD card port on it.

Now, would I use the MacBook as a gaming rig? Oh, god, no. But it's not built for that purpose. It is pretty good at handling graphics and video editing software like photoshop and premiere, though, which is good for me, as those are programs that I regularly use.

I can understand wanting to use something you're familiar with, but I really don't see a need to trash talk another person's hardware. Unless it's a Zune.

But I love Zune! :eek: I'll be in the minority on this one. I've always liked their software, hardware, and actual players much more.

Zune software is far better in my opinion than iTunes, and I like Zune's a heck of a lot better too. It's too bad iPod's already carved such a deep niche in the market that Zune failed.

You aren't buying a lab top through the school? You're going out on your own to get one? I have a big flat screen, but I like to do most of my work in libraries or study areas. I just enjoy big screens and subsequently large lab tops.

I would run the specs by David Pilasky (administrative computing) before you do that, but it really doesn't sound like you're trying to cheap out, so you should be fine.

But I love Zune! :eek: I'll be in the minority on this one. I've always liked their software, hardware, and actual players much more.

Yeah, everyone hates those guys. :p

One of these statements is a lie.

I would run the specs by David Pilasky (administrative computing) before you do that, but it really doesn't sound like you're trying to cheap out, so you should be fine.

I don't know enough about computer spec's to do it anyway. I just trust that the Dell I get will be nice enough for me. I'd rather have very limited choices than a vast group to buy from.

You aren't buying a lab top through the school? You're going out on your own to get one? I have a big flat screen, but I like to do most of my work in libraries or study areas. I just enjoy big screens and subsequently large lab tops.

Well, if I'm accepted to CCLCM, I'll be receiving a laptop of some kind I think. UP rejected me straight out.

But otherwise, I'll probably buy my computer online. I was looking at many school computer store's deals and they're less than impressive. Maybe you'll save 2% on a Mac, 5% on a PC. I can do better on online close-out sales.

I understand about the big screen. I do like a big screen at home and would love one at school (I have one at work at the moment), but I also like the ultraportable nature of laptops. I guess the best of both worlds to be at a school that gave you permanent work desks on campus. Alas.

I don't know enough about computer spec's to do it anyway. I just trust that the Dell I get will be nice enough for me. I'd rather have very limited choices than a vast group to buy from.

B-b-but Diablo III!

(Would never run on my machine in a million years.)

Status
Not open for further replies.