2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oblig ninja placeholder.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off UP alternate list earlier today! Hours later, and I still can't believe it...

To all those still on the list: keep hope alive!

Accepted off UP alternate list earlier today! Hours later, and I still can't believe it...

To all those still on the list: keep hope alive!
Have you been sending update letters since the alternate list came out?

Just send a telegram, it will show how unique and different you are than all other applicants.

well...all u guys r being cheap, i'm sending over a couple of benjamin franklins

Members don't see this ad :)
Just declined my acceptance. Hope the spot goes to one of the SDNers still waiting! Case seems like a fantastic school.

Hi all! I just got accepted to Case-- woohoo! Does anyone know if there's an accepted students Facebook group, and if so, would you mind sharing the link? I'd love to start looking for a roommate (or 2!) and FB seems like a good place to start.

Have you been sending update letters since the alternate list came out?

I sent one Monday morning (May 14th) and one of my PI's submitted an additional recommendation letter later that day. Good luck to you!

I am looking for an apartment downtown, preferably within 15 min of CCF. Any suggestions?

Just a question: Do students do research during the year or is it mostly over the summer and/or research block?

+1

I feel behind on searching for apartments

My advice for apartment searching is to look on Overlook. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from school, and for the money you'll pay, you'll usually get much more relative to popular student housing complexes like Waldorf and the Triangle. I'll be living in Lewis Manor up on Overlook, and I can't be happier with my decision. It's a gorgeous neighborhood full of young professional students that is also pretty close to virtually everything (at least that I need).

My advice for apartment searching is to look on Overlook. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from school, and for the money you'll pay, you'll usually get much more relative to popular student housing complexes like Waldorf and the Triangle. I'll be living in Lewis Manor up on Overlook, and I can't be happier with my decision. It's a gorgeous neighborhood full of young professional students that is also pretty close to virtually everything (at least that I need).

thanks! that definitely helps

+1

I feel behind on searching for apartments

People have come into town the day before class starts and had an apartment lined up in less than 24 hours. Commencement is this weekend, though, so lots of housing in the area is opening up.

Just a question: Do students do research during the year or is it mostly over the summer and/or research block?

Some do. It's definitely an option, if you want to pursue it.

Pfft. The Triangle isn't that popular, at least not when compared to the Waldorf. A new grocery store just opened up about a 5-minute walk from here, so I have everything I need (except for gas) right here. It'd be a 2-minute walk, were it not for the construction. Much closer to the museums, the libraries, and Wade Lagoon, too. :p

8 minutes to walk to school. 5 to run (I run slow when encumbered, but also in general).

Pricier, for sure, but amazingly convenient. Also, pro-cat, anti-dog. $300something for parking, though... which I don't have to pay, as I won the free parking raffle (and am a renewing resident). Covered parking in assigned spaces. Surface lot is cleared relatively quickly in the event of snow.

I have the same question, but one addition. Is there any place where the majority (or a large percentage) of first year students live?

Can't help you with room mates, but a good 20-30% of the incoming classes tend to end up in the Waldorf.

I don't really remember from the presentations, but when do people start taking the Masters of Anatomy courses? Will there still be some free time to do research? And is there a separate application? THanks for the help!

I don't really remember from the presentations, but when do people start taking the Masters of Anatomy courses? Will there still be some free time to do research? And is there a separate application? THanks for the help!

The classes start late August of your first year (as per the regular university calendar). As to research, say goodbye to free time. You might have some while you're taking histology, but you definitely won't once anatomy and embryo start in January, overlapping block 4. While there is an 'application,' it is a formality required at some point before you graduate, so your degree will be conferred. You do not need this document to take the classes.

Also, you don't need to be in the masters program at all to take a course here and there, if you want to.

I'm considering the Masters of Anatomy program as well, because I want to go into orthopedics. However, I'm wondering if it's worth it. I plan on taking extra anatomy courses, but would having that extra degree significantly impact my chances of placing into a good ortho residency?

I'm considering the Masters of Anatomy program as well, because I want to go into orthopedics. However, I'm wondering if it's worth it. I plan on taking extra anatomy courses, but would having that extra degree significantly impact my chances of placing into a good ortho residency?

Not terribly, although they like to tell you it does. If anything, I'd take histo, gross, and neuro, if you've got the time.

Not terribly, although they like to tell you it does. If anything, I'd take histo, gross, and neuro, if you've got the time.

Hmmmm... Thanks for the advice. Any idea how much extra time the Masters takes? Do you have any friends in it? I'd like to fill some of my free time with research and the classes you suggest more so than adding extra letters after my name.

Hmmmm... Thanks for the advice. Any idea how much extra time the Masters takes? Do you have any friends in it? I'd like to fill some of my free time with research and the classes you suggest more so than adding extra letters after my name.

Oh, I'm very familiar with how much extra time the Masters takes: all of it. If you're very organized and very efficient, you can pull it off, but don't expect to have an appreciable amount of free time.

Edit:

Disclaimer: I dropped the masters program mid-block 4.

Oh, I'm very familiar with how much extra time the Masters takes: all of it. If you're very organized and very efficient, you can pull it off, but don't expect to have an appreciable amount of free time.

Edit:

Disclaimer: I dropped the masters program mid-block 4.

Thank you again. So, as someone with direct experience, and considering that I am currently wanting to go into ortho, you'd recommend that I just take some of the extra anatomy courses but not bother taking the full degree's worth, correct?

Thank you again. So, as someone with direct experience, and considering that I am currently wanting to go into ortho, you'd recommend that I just take some of the extra anatomy courses but not bother taking the full degree's worth, correct?

To be perfectly honest, I would've taken the others as well and finished the program this year if the clinical rotation schedule had not changed in such a way as to make that impossible. Histo, gross, and neuro are your highest yield classes. Histo is in the fall semester and isn't that much of a drain on resources. Your quality of life starts its precipitous drop in the spring semester with gross, embryo, and seminar. By itself, this course load would be reasonable. However, while these courses are going on, you are in Block 4, which is to say the cardio-renal-pulm-pharm-homeostasis-everything block. Block 4 by itself is also totally ok. Put the two together and your juggling act begins. Neuro and a follow-up seminar class start the following fall, so really, that first winter/spring is the toughest bit.

To be perfectly honest, I would've taken the others as well and finished the program this year if the clinical rotation schedule had not changed in such a way as to make that impossible. Histo, gross, and neuro are your highest yield classes. Histo is in the fall semester and isn't that much of a drain on resources. Your quality of life starts its precipitous drop in the spring semester with gross, embryo, and seminar. By itself, this course load would be reasonable. However, while these courses are going on, you are in Block 4, which is to say the cardio-renal-pulm-pharm-homeostasis-everything block. Block 4 by itself is also totally ok. Put the two together and your juggling act begins. Neuro and a follow-up seminar class start the following fall, so really, that first winter/spring is the toughest bit.

So, did you not finish because the schedule changed, or did you not finish because the new schedule made it too difficult for you to do so? I'd honestly rather do one thing as perfectly as possible than spread myself too thin. I'll already be stressed enough with medical school. We'll see. It's still too early to make the decision myself, but I'm leaning towards not getting it. Like you said, I can't imagine it really helping that much. It can't hurt, but it doesn't seem worth unnecessary stress and strain. Unless you disagree, of course.

So, did you not finish because the schedule changed, or did you not finish because the new schedule made it too difficult for you to do so? I'd honestly rather do one thing as perfectly as possible than spread myself too thin. I'll already be stressed enough with medical school. We'll see. It's still too early to make the decision myself, but I'm leaning towards not getting it. Like you said, I can't imagine it really helping that much. It can't hurt, but it doesn't seem worth unnecessary stress and strain. Unless you disagree, of course.

I could not resume taking the courses this year as they would overlap with my clinical rotations. Definitely take histology, though. Pathology makes way more sense when you know what normal is. :hungover:

I could not resume taking the courses this year as they would overlap with my clinical rotations. Definitely take histology, though. Pathology makes way more sense when you know what normal is. :hungover:

The 2013 version of First Aid will be released in January. I can get a 2012 one right now cheap. Do you think it's worth waiting for the 2013 one to come out? I can't imagine there being that significant of changes year-to-year.

The 2013 version of First Aid will be released in January. I can get a 2012 one right now cheap. Do you think it's worth waiting for the 2013 one to come out? I can't imagine there being that significant of changes year-to-year.

You would think so, but the errors in FA from year to year are hilarious and sometimes frightening. That being said, I'd go for it. It's not going to be something to learn from, though. It's more of a list of topics you should know about.

...I think I might've mentioned that before.

You would think so, but the errors in FA from year to year are hilarious and sometimes frightening. That being said, I'd go for it. It's not going to be something to learn from, though. It's more of a list of topics you should know about.

...I think I might've mentioned that before.

Ha, yes you have. I'll go ahead and grab the 2012 one. Yes, I was planning on looking at it concurrently with what I'm learning through Case's curriculum anyway. I like to have my ducks in a row whenever possible. Thanks again!

have the admins moved to the class of 2017's Facebook group already? :p

Quick question, Myuu...at this point in the cycle, is there much hope for any movement on the CCLCM alternates list?

Quick question, Myuu...at this point in the cycle, is there much hope for any movement on the CCLCM alternates list?

No one here can tell you that. Also, don't call the office to ask that.

In any case, best of luck to you.:luck:

I got accepted off the waitlist to the CCLCM! Cleveland here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.