2010-2011 Morehouse Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my letter as well. I loved Morehouse and am definitely keeping it toward the top of my list. Choosing where to go to med school is going to be hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Yayyyyyyyy!! CONGRATS!! Idk if youd remember me but im the one who was talking to you about UMiami.. have you heard anything from them yet??

Hey Thanks so much for the Congrats... I still can't believe it! With regards to UM I haven't heard anything yet and at this point it will have to be till next year. Time to enjoy the last real Xmas of total freedom :)

Interview is on 1/14/2011 and it's the very first one:scared:. I've been out of school for going on two years, but this is my first time applying. I've been teaching math and science and coaching high school. Not even sure what I'm going to wear!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview is on 1/14/2011 and it's the very first one:scared:. I've been out of school for going on two years, but this is my first time applying. I've been teaching math and science and coaching high school. Not even sure what I'm going to wear!

Congrats! I'm sure you will do great just stay calm. When did you turn in your app?? I'm still waiting for a response been almost 2 1/2 months now...

Congrats! I'm sure you will do great just stay calm. When did you turn in your app?? I'm still waiting for a response been almost 2 1/2 months now...

As of 10-27 my file was complete and on 11/2 I got an email with the Interview information

Does anyone know if a Morehouse School of Medicine Class of 2015 group on Facebook has been created?

I got an interview on 1-14 too; my first one. Good luck to all.

does anyone know if the 100$is refundable

Hello everybody. What are some interview questions asked, and what's the duration of the interview?

Hello everybody. What are some interview questions asked, and what's the duration of the interview?

The questions asked are the basic ones such as why do you want to be a doctor? What experiences in your life led you to this decision? Why shoud we pick you at this point in your life instead of waiting until you're more academically prepared (Many of the students there have Master Degrees)? Duration is all day from 10 AM to 5 PM. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Dec 3rd and they said that we should hear back around Jan 21st so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. The waiting is the worst part! What's the shortest amount of time people have heard back in?

Hi. Do they ask you in the interview what specialty you want to do? Since Morehouse is big on primary care, does it put you at a disadvantage if you tell them you want to do Surgery or Emergency Medicine?

Hi. Do they ask you in the interview what specialty you want to do? Since Morehouse is big on primary care, does it put you at a disadvantage if you tell them you want to do Surgery or Emergency Medicine?
From what I heard from my current classmates, it was a pretty common interview question. Both of my interviewers asked me what specialty I was most interested in. I told them emergency medicine as there was a lack of primary care facilities in the area I was coming from and the ER was used as the main source of healthcare in the hospitals I volunteered in. Moreover, I am interested in working in an underserved, urban environment similar to the conditions found at Grady. I don't think it puts you at a disadvantage as long as you can articulate why you think that you will be able to fulfill the mission of MSM. MSM emphasizes primary care but also stresses a commitment to the underserved population.

During my interview day, Dr. Roaf said that it is ok if you're interested in a different specialty as MSM students go on to all specialties, not just the primary care specialties. However, Dr. Roaf doesn't influence the admissions committee's decision on your application and doesn't interview anyone. Also, my interview was last application cycle and not every interviewer will ask that question. On the other hand, a large portion of our class is interested in specialties outside of primary care. It's very common for med students to choose a specialty different from the one they were considering when they started school. After all, rotations don't start to 3rd year.

Hi everyone, Im a non-trad applicant. Applied to Morehouse in October and haven't received an invite yet? Im super stressed!

"Due to inclement weather we will not be interviewing on tomorrow, Friday, January 14, 2011. We will be in contact with you to reschedule your interview date once we return to the office. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thanks again for your interest in Morehouse School of Medicine."

...:uhno:...

"Due to inclement weather we will not be interviewing on tomorrow, Friday, January 14, 2011. We will be in contact with you to reschedule your interview date once we return to the office. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thanks again for your interest in Morehouse School of Medicine."

...:uhno:...

Yah I got this email on the plane lol. I am currently in my hotel room in ATLANTA....hmmmm.....

Hi everyone, Im a non-trad applicant. Applied to Morehouse in October and haven't received an invite yet? Im super stressed!

Don't let it get to you. They interview rthrough Feb or March so there's still time.

For those with delayed interviews for the weather, sorry we southerner's don't know how to handle the snow and aren't equipped. The city and schools were basically shut down for an entire week. What can I say, it's supposed to be Hotlanta.

thanks scorpiomd. My fingers are crossed. Ill keep you all posted.

SuperMomMD: please keep us posted. I'm non-trad as well and on the waitlist. It's my only option right now so worst case I'll reapply for next cycle. Good luck!

Anyone who interviewed on 12/3 heard anything yet?

After seeing some of the stats that get accepted, I wish I would have applied here..... Heard some good things about the school, and a little easier to get into.

Anxiously awaiting some form of communication from MSM (email, letter, smoke signal, anything?!) i've been complete since october, and I would love an interview. *sigh*

So, for anyone who interviewed on Dec. 3rd with me, it looks like letters being mailed out now and we'll be getting them within the next 5 business days. I emailed Dr. Roaf and thats what he told me.

Does anyone know when Morehouse will stop sending out invites?

Does anyone know when Morehouse will stop sending out invites?

I am just wondering what is going on, it has been very quiet here lately. I have yet to hear back from them since getting a complete in October. :oops:

yea same here..also complete since October..I also wonder if they give some priority to Georgia residents??

Last edited:
They interview through March is what I was told.

Got in!! Yeah booyyyiieee :)

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!!

Last edited:
So, for anyone who interviewed on Dec. 3rd with me, it looks like letters being mailed out now and we'll be getting them within the next 5 business days. I emailed Dr. Roaf and thats what he told me.

I emailed Dr. Roaf with updates...was that a bad idea?
I just figured since I haven't heard anything...I'm more or less silent rejected so why not lol

Thank you, SuperMomMD!

SpaceDoc, I guess it wouldn't hurt. When were you complete?

Does anyone know when ppl who interviewed first week of Jan should be hearing back? I thought they said by the end of January. Maybe I misheard him.

They are still waiting on my jan mcat score which wont be in until march 1. So interviews go through end of march i believe. I loooove Morehouse!

Does anyone know when ppl who interviewed first week of Jan should be hearing back? I thought they said by the end of January. Maybe I misheard him.

Has anyone that interviewed on Dec. 10th heard anything yet?

I interviewed at Morehouse SOM on 1/21 and got in. I got my acceptance mail on Monday this week. Congrats to the recent acceptances and those waiting, keep up the faith.

Been complete for about three-four months now

I wouldn't send updated materials just yet. You could probably email Dr. Roaf and see if they looked at your stuff yet and ask if you could send updates.

I wouldn't send updated materials just yet. You could probably email Dr. Roaf and see if they looked at your stuff yet and ask if you could send updates.

Unfortunately, I did send him my updates :/
I just hope that doesn't work out negatively for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.