2009-2010 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone's status been changed to "complete"? I submitted all of my stuff back on the 17th and my letters are in, so I should be complete.

My status updated to complete! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

lrkoehle: do you have a check mark by the dean's certification form too?

lrkoehle: do you have a check mark by the dean's certification form too?

Not yet. I guess that isn't a terribly important form at this stage. Maybe they want it before an interview? Maybe they just want it before matriculation? I don't know. Do you already have a check mark by Dean's Certification? If so, your school is faster than mine. Are you complete yet? Am I the only one on here that is complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not yet. I guess that isn't a terribly important form at this stage. Maybe they want it before an interview? Maybe they just want it before matriculation? I don't know. Do you already have a check mark by Dean's Certification? If so, your school is faster than mine. Are you complete yet? Am I the only one on here that is complete?

No, I'm not complete yet(waiting on committee letter). But my dean's certification was sent last week and it is not showing a check mark.....

No, I'm not complete yet(waiting on committee letter). But my dean's certification was sent last week and it is not showing a check mark.....

I submitted the request for mine to be sent from my school on the 17th, so I think mine should have been sent too. Maybe WashU is slower with the paper documents than they are with the online stuff (secondary, fee collection, LORs, etc.).

How long did it take for this to change from incomplete status? I have all my stuff in, and it still reads incomplete.

I had everything in on the 17th of June, including my LORs already designated to go to WashU. That means it took them about 12 days from when I submitted my secondary stuff. However, considering they didn't have my primary until the 24th, I guess that means it took 5 days. I don't know if submitting my secondary before my primary affected how long it took, but it was somewhere between 5 and 12 days if that helps.

Got something in the mail from Wash U today. A "thanks for applying, we got your AMCAS, here have some info."

They are just now sending you the email about receiving your AMCAS application? I got that email on the 25th. You submitted everything around the same time I did (I think), so that would be weird if I am somehow ahead of you.

FYI, the "completed" email says this "Your application to Washington University School of Medicine is now complete and is under review.
The review of your file may take several months but be assured that we shall notify you when a decision is made. In the meantime, if you have questions, contact us by e mail at [email protected]."

Will it really take "months" to review the application or is that just for later in the cycle? At least I have other secondaries now to fill my time with after work.

Snail mail.

I guess I need to check the mail when I get home then...

Are you "complete" too? I don't mean like, "you complete me," complete, I mean are you complete at WashU. :p

I guess I need to check the mail when I get home then...

Are you "complete" too? I don't mean like, "you complete me," complete, I mean are you complete at WashU. :p

They still haven't gotten my dean's thingy. The booklet thingy from them was postmarked on June 26th.

They still haven't gotten my dean's thingy. The booklet thingy from them was postmarked on June 26th.

Well, what is weird about my completion is that I was complete before they received my dean's thing. In fact, I don't even know if they have my dean's thingy right now. However, they may have caught wind of your "bad girl" reputation, and so they want your dean's thing to make sure you aren't bad to the bone (or something like that).

When I got home a few minutes ago, I too had the WashU packet, also postmarked on the 26th.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, the "completed" email says this "Your application to Washington University School of Medicine is now complete and is under review.
The review of your file may take several months but be assured that we shall notify you when a decision is made. In the meantime, if you have questions, contact us by e mail at [email protected]."

Will it really take "months" to review the application or is that just for later in the cycle? At least I have other secondaries now to fill my time with after work.

Last year, I got my interview invitation on 9/11 and I was in the first batch. After my interview (early October), though, I didn't find out that I was waitlisted until sometime in April (though I think batches of acceptances went out once every month beginning in November).

Check my MDApps for my dates from last year. I *think* I was in the first or second batch for interview invite / notification.

You can also check the washu thread from last year to find out when they started inviting... I think it was sept-ish?

High School
Rank in Class (if known) Class Size Cumulative G.P.A. (if known)

do they mean GPA in HIGH SCHOOL?

I haven't got the dean's verification check mark yet, and it was mailed last Wednesday. Perhaps they do not care much about it until they are interested in inviting us for an interview. Oh well, at least I am marked as complete here now :)

I haven't got the dean's verification check mark yet, and it was mailed last Wednesday. Perhaps they do not care much about it until they are interested in inviting us for an interview. Oh well, at least I am marked as complete here now :)

I'm complete now too. Woo hoo. (I actually said "woo hoo" aloud when I saw it, and no one else is home. I'm such a loser. :laugh:)

I'm complete now too. Woo hoo. (I actually said "woo hoo" aloud when I saw it, and no one else is home. I'm such a loser. :laugh:)

Yay! I was getting kind of worried that I was the only one who was complete, and that maybe they made an accident marking me complete. I am happy to have company in the complete category now. :D

You think saying woo hoo is bad, I didn't say anything. Instead, I rushed onto SDN to brag, only to find out that I was the only one complete. I had no one else to share my excitment with...:(

Yay! I was getting kind of worried that I was the only one who was complete, and that maybe they made an accident marking me complete. I am happy to have company in the complete category now. :D

You think saying woo hoo is bad, I didn't say anything. Instead, I rushed onto SDN to brag, only to find out that I was the only one complete. I had no one else to share my excitment with...:(

Well we can be excited together then. :soexcited:

Too bad Wash U doesn't start interviews til like October. :( Waiting game.

can you send the dean's certification before submitting your secondary?

does anyone know if the "During your undergraduate career did you work..." question refers to paid work only, or includes lab research and/or volunteer work etc.?

does anyone know if the "During your undergraduate career did you work..." question refers to paid work only, or includes lab research and/or volunteer work etc.?

i believe it refers to paid work only

Hmm, I submitted the supplemental app but the status page says it still hasn't been submitted. Any similar experiences?

I took a year off after high school before going to college. I'm assuming I should write in that "time off" box? What do you think? ugh...

Last edited:
I took a year off after high school before going to college. I'm assuming I should write in that "time off" box? What do you think? ugh...

That seems like a break in your academic career, so I would say yes. Since it was immediately after high school I don't think they will have high expectations for your activities.

Lame situation: Dean's Certification is in. LORs are not. Curse you non-AMCAS Letter Service fools!

OK, maybe I'm slow today, but is diff-equations required? What can bio-stats substitute for? The secondary is not making sense to me right now.

Anyone else get an error message upon login?

OK, maybe I'm slow today, but is diff-equations required? What can bio-stats substitute for? The secondary is not making sense to me right now.

This requirement was badly worded on their part. I that that what they really mean is that they want you to have taken calculus.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but for the life of me, I can't find the mailing address for admissions (letters of rec) on the application website. My packet sender doesn't have the information, so could one of you post a link if you know it?

Ok, so I'm wondering about this optional prompt. Now, I figure I could answer this in one of 3 ways, but I'm not sure of any, and I could really use some input.

So, let me hear what you think.
1. Talk about being a walk-on fencer who worked hard, trained for 3 years, and managed to do really well at a tourney and win first in the division
2. Talk about watching my sister succumb to addiction and what I learned (really not sure if I should talk about things as dark as this on an app)
3. Just leave it blank

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Ok, so I'm wondering about this optional prompt. Now, I figure I could answer this in one of 3 ways, but I'm not sure of any, and I could really use some input.

So, let me hear what you think.
1. Talk about being a walk-on fencer who worked hard, trained for 3 years, and managed to do really well at a tourney and win first in the division
2. Talk about watching my sister succumb to addiction and what I learned (really not sure if I should talk about things as dark as this on an app)
3. Just leave it blank

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

I personally like sporting experiences if you couldn't tell :)

I just decided to leave it blank. One app down. Phew.

Do we go ask the dean for a certification or does it happen automatically?

You have to print out the request and take it to the dean's office for them to fill out and send in.

Try to do this as soon as possible, but don't be too stressed because I was complete there without it.

about the part where you list your SAT scores and stuff: are we required to list everything? I don't remember my ACT score and don't know where/how to check it. They won't like check up on this stuff right?

Also, I can't remember my rank, but I know I was #5 or 6 or 7. Can I just guess? lol or is that gonna be a bad idea

Edit: ^^ok I know that sounded pretty paranoid. leave me alone; i can have my moments :p^^

about the part where you list your SAT scores and stuff: are we required to list everything? I don't remember my ACT score and don't know where/how to check it. They won't like check up on this stuff right?

Also, I can't remember my rank, but I know I was #5 or 6 or 7. Can I just guess? lol or is that gonna be a bad idea

Edit: ^^ok I know that sounded pretty paranoid. leave me alone; i can have my moments :p^^

I knew my rank so I listed that. I left the SAT and ACT scores blank because it said they were not necessary.

Try to do this as soon as possible, but don't be too stressed because I was complete there without it.

yeah, i actually got my interview offer last year before i bothered to fill out the dean's form. not saying that will be the case for everybody (as in you should still do it) but it doesn't seem to be a huge priority for them.

Was anyone else's nice, crisp (under 1 MG) picture transformed into a blurry and pixelated image on the "upload picture" page? Here's hoping that was an effort on Wash U's part to save bandwidth... :)

Thought I'd ask for advice from fellow WashU applicants.

For the first prompt, I though I would write about a little dip in grades I had back in my sophomore year: I made a 4.0 during my first, third, and fourth years of undergrad, but my second year was tainted by two B's in the fall, and a B and a C in the spring. I have nothing to attribute those grades to other than lack of mature work ethic (I was 16 during my sophomore year of college), and since then I've straightened things out and made A's the rest of the way. It seems obvious enough from my transcripts that I improved my work ethic from that year onward, so should I bother writing about it in this essay, especially considering I have no "special" circumstances to attribute the grades to?

For the second prompt, I feel obligated to write about something since I'll be graduating this fall and I don't plan to take classes in the spring. Guess there's no escaping this essay, but at least it should be short.

Thanks, everyone.

Thought I'd ask for advice from fellow WashU applicants.

For the first prompt, I though I would write about a little dip in grades I had back in my sophomore year: I made a 4.0 during my first, third, and fourth years of undergrad, but my second year was tainted by two B's in the fall, and a B and a C in the spring. I have nothing to attribute those grades to other than lack of mature work ethic (I was 16 during my sophomore year of college), and since then I've straightened things out and made A's the rest of the way. It seems obvious enough from my transcripts that I improved my work ethic from that year onward, so should I bother writing about it in this essay, especially considering I have no "special" circumstances to attribute the grades to?

For the second prompt, I feel obligated to write about something since I'll be graduating this fall and I don't plan to take classes in the spring. Guess there's no escaping this essay, but at least it should be short.

Thanks, everyone.

Do what you think is right, but the adcoms can see that you got a 4.0 again after that. I don't really think it is anything to worry about. You probably have like a 3.9 so it will be ok.

Was anyone else's nice, crisp (under 1 MG) picture transformed into a blurry and pixelated image on the "upload picture" page? Here's hoping that was an effort on Wash U's part to save bandwidth... :)

yes

Status
Not open for further replies.