2009-2010 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if this is the case, then i do not have any sort of essay that i am submitting with the secondary. Also, this question is not listed as optional, so is it really safe to simply leave it blank?

I didn't submit any essay. And write "Not applicable" if it makes you feel better.

Members don't see this ad.

if this is the case, then i do not have any sort of essay that i am submitting with the secondary. Also, this question is not listed as optional, so is it really safe to simply leave it blank?

I think the "if" implies it is not required, unless it applies to you. I think it is different than optional. You have no choice, you didn't take time off, so you do not have to write this essay.

What about the first prompt? Is it only referring to obstacles in college? I had a small health problem when I was younger-- nothing big, but it led to some self-esteem issues. In the middle of high school the problem was taken care of, but I think it was a huge personal obstacle in my life. Would it be appropriate to write about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just there if you need to explain a bad semester, or if you had to re-take the MCAT after performing poorly due to personal issues, stuff like that. Like if there is some glaring fault in your application that has a good explanation, well here's your chance to give it.

I think it's just there if you need to explain a bad semester, or if you had to re-take the MCAT after performing poorly due to personal issues, stuff like that. Like if there is some glaring fault in your application that has a good explanation, well here's your chance to give it.

This is how I interpreted it.

i didn't put anything for the essay either. it didn't seem necessary to answer unless you had something unusual to put down. why ramble if it isnt useful

i didn't put anything for the essay either. it didn't seem necessary to answer unless you had something unusual to put down. why ramble if it isnt useful

I completely agree. I feel like a rambling essay would only take away from the high points of my primary application.

That essay is for explaining "extenuating circumstances," as is the admissions lingo for it.

I posted a photo of me helping an elderly woman across the street for the secondary. I thought it would help me look more caring, that's what they wanted, right? In all seriousness though, I am just going to do a headshot of me in my suit, is that what everyone else is doing?

I posted a photo of me helping an elderly woman across the street for the secondary. I thought it would help me look more caring, that's what they wanted, right? In all seriousness though, I am just going to do a headshot of me in my suit, is that what everyone else is doing?

I just took a picture I had, cropped and retouched it to make myself look all pretty.

The optional question is truly optional. I left it blank; I got in. Many others have too.

The "what have you done since you graduated from college" essay only applies if you've taken time off. You leave it blank if you're going straight from college to med school.

The optional question is truly optional. I left it blank; I got in. Many others have too.

The "what have you done since you graduated from college" essay only applies if you've taken time off. You leave it blank if you're going straight from college to med school.

I really wish med schools would be more clear about this; instead of writing "obstacles or experiences," can't they just write "extenuating circumstances"? That's a pretty universal term that everyone recognizes and would make it clear that the question is TRULY optional. Leaving pre-meds unsure about something is a very bad idea; don't they know our neurotic mentality??? If they want less secondary essays to read, then it should be more clear, right? anyway, I'm glad I don't have to write this essay =P

Is the login not working for anyone else? I went to go print the Dean's thingy so I could take it up to school, but it won't work. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
It just worked for me to login. Try restarting your computer?

Probably my computer. Ugh, I need a new one. I feel like this one is going to implode at any given second.

Well my computer wasn't letting me login last week for some reason, so maybe their website just gets confused?

If you are looking for a new computer, get the HP mininotebook. Its a netbook (basically a smaller laptop), but it is awesome. It only cost $350, but it is awesome. Only issue is no CD drive.

I got an interview last cycle without filling it out. It says "if", if you don't meet the criteria you don't have to answer it.

But if you want to be sure you can allways call and ask.

Edit: haha, answered a question from the other page, oh well.

So I just went to get my Dean's thingy filled out. And my Dean's office decided that my IA isn't important enough to report. So my primary says that I was on probation, and my form thingy said I never did anything wrong. Oh, application inconsistencies.

So I just went to get my Dean's thingy filled out. And my Dean's office decided that my IA isn't important enough to report. So my primary says that I was on probation, and my form thingy said I never did anything wrong. Oh, application inconsistencies.

That is not a bad inconsistency though. The reverse would be much worse, if you did not report it and your dean did. This way they might ask you about it, but they won't throw away your application like they might if you didn't report it.

That is not a bad inconsistency though. The reverse would be much worse, if you did not report it and your dean did. This way they might ask you about it, but they won't throw away your application like they might if you didn't report it.

Yeah. Even if my dean's office reported it, I still got in trouble for something completely ridiculous. I'm not too worried about it.

So how do we LORs here? They don't use AMCAS' thing, do they?

I think you can just use VirtualEvals. I had my school designate WashU on there, so I am assuming WashU has a school account that let's them access the LORs of students who made them available to WashU. I don't think we have to do anything after making them available to the school on VirtualEvals (or whatever similar programs there are).

I just gave my letter writers pre-stamped envelopes to send to washu. That way they can just print off your letter and send it away.

I just gave my letter writers pre-stamped envelopes to send to washu. That way they can just print off your letter and send it away.

Using VirtualEvals works too, right?

Its less of a hassle for your LOR writers if you ask them to mail it to one place. Then, let that "place" mail the letters to each individual school / AMCAS.

We had a career center, or you could use interfolio/virtual evals.

yeah, unfortunately the career center at my school doesn't do that... so I just had to give them envelopes, in addition to the online submission to AMCAS.

I assume everyone else got the email acknowledging us and telling us to fill out secondaries? That's my first school acknowledgment, feels good!

My AMCAS still says "Ready for Review" as opposed to actually indicating that it has been processed- but I got the e-mail from Wash U to fill out the secondary. Did anybody else get the invite before their AMCAS was processed? Or does this just mean my primary is processed and they just haven't told me.

My AMCAS still says "Ready for Review" as opposed to actually indicating that it has been processed- but I got the e-mail from Wash U to fill out the secondary. Did anybody else get the invite before their AMCAS was processed? Or does this just mean my primary is processed and they just haven't told me.

Maybe you are just that good that you don't even have to be processed for schools to want a secondary from you...to answer your question, I don't know, sorry.

Hey guys do you think I've got the calculus requirement for WashU fulfilled with a semester of stats and a semester of calculus with this course description-"course in calculus and analytic geometry; basic techniques of differentiation and integration with applications including curve sketching; antidifferentation, the Riemann integral, fundamental theorem, exponential and trigonometric functions."

They threw me with that differential equations stuff on the secondary

Hey guys do you think I've got the calculus requirement for WashU fulfilled with a semester of stats and a semester of calculus with this course description-"course in calculus and analytic geometry; basic techniques of differentiation and integration with applications including curve sketching; antidifferentation, the Riemann integral, fundamental theorem, exponential and trigonometric functions."

They threw me with that differential equations stuff on the secondary

Sounds like you've got the calculus covered for sure, differential equations are differentiation and integration.

so it says that we should have the supplemental app turned in within 4 weeks of receiving it. does that mean we have to have our LORs in at that time too? I have a feeling mine won't be; ah the disadvantages of being on the quarter system :(

so it says that we should have the supplemental app turned in within 4 weeks of receiving it. does that mean we have to have our LORs in at that time too? I have a feeling mine won't be; ah the disadvantages of being on the quarter system :(

The app and the LORs are different. I think you'll be fine.

Sounds like you've got the calculus covered for sure, differential equations are differentiation and integration.

So can I just list my differential equations class and stats class to fulfill that req?

Why do they only want you to list your calc classes? Kind of strange...

They send it the day you submit your secondary before it gets verified. I submitted my primary on July 18th and got the secondary in a couple of hours in the dead of night.

So can I just list my differential equations class and stats class to fulfill that req?

I don't know what's up with that question. I didn't have enough room for all the calculus classes, but I'm a math major.

I just put Calc I and Stats. Hope that works for them.

The app and the LORs are different. I think you'll be fine.

hmm, the instructions for applicants section of the secondary says your LORs, Dean's Certification, fee, and Supp app all need to be in before you're considered "Complete." So when it says that we need our stuff submitted within 4 weeks, does that mean we need to be "Complete" within 4 weeks? Like I said, I have no clue when my letters will be in lol

hmm, the instructions for applicants section of the secondary says your LORs, Dean's Certification, fee, and Supp app all need to be in before you're considered "Complete." So when it says that we need our stuff submitted within 4 weeks, does that mean we need to be "Complete" within 4 weeks? Like I said, I have no clue when my letters will be in lol

Yeah, I took it as just having the supp app in. I'm sure the don't expect to have everyone's complete app in a month. Just try and get those LORs in. :)

Regarding the "optional" essay question (Do you have any unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee?), would it be reasonable to discuss a research scholarship that I have recently won? It's not on my AMCAS because it's so recent, and it's an independent public health research proposal that I think can tie in well to my application. Furthermore, I'll be spending my next year working on the research so it's something long-term. I understand that it's not an obstacle, but it's definitely an unique experience that was not covered in my application.

Regarding the "optional" essay question (Do you have any unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee?), would it be reasonable to discuss a research scholarship that I have recently won? It's not on my AMCAS because it's so recent, and it's an independent public health research proposal that I think can tie in well to my application. Furthermore, I'll be spending my next year working on the research so it's something long-term. I understand that it's not an obstacle, but it's definitely an unique experience that was not covered in my application.

Seems reasonable to include it there. I know that won't hurt you to put it on your secondary.

I just graduated and am now applying. So, I'm taking a year off before medical school, but I have yet to do much (mostly application stuff). Should I leave the second essay prompt blank? Or write about what I plan to do? I assume there are others in this position.

I just graduated and am now applying. So, I'm taking a year off before medical school, but I have yet to do much (mostly application stuff). Should I leave the second essay prompt blank? Or write about what I plan to do? I assume there are others in this position.

The prompt clearly states that if you do not plan on being a full-time student this coming year, you have to tell them what you are doing. So yes, answer it. Write your plans.

I think they will understand that this is going to be your year off, so you haven't done anything yet. I would include my plans for the upcoming year, so they don't think you are just going to watch scrubs reruns or something. I know that is an absurd example, but if you don't tell them they can't know.

Has anyone's status been changed to "complete"? I submitted all of my stuff back on the 17th and my letters are in, so I should be complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.