2009-2010 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Zone, click "Academics" on the left, click "USMLE Step 1 prep" and on the right hand side, you can see all (or at least most) of the lectures from MS1 and MS2. I'll admit that I listened to the first anatomy lecture (I promise I'm not a gunner, I was just curious).

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if we need to buy our own stethoscopes/oto/opthalmoscopes or if they're provided by the school?

You can buy your own but most students buy the stethoscope, oto-ophthalmoscope, reflex hammer, and tuning forks at discounted rates through the AMSA student group. This sale occurs during the beginning or middle of your first year.

Really? I was able to set up my email immediately. Spent about an hour and a half scouring the Zone. Has anybody been able to figure out what their Pitt ID is? There's a link on the MyZone page that says "My Student ID and Pitt ID" but I get an error when I click on it.

The Pitt ID is your university ID. It's different from your med school zone ID. You'll be able to get a Pitt account when you get your U Pitt student ID card.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the Zone, click "Academics" on the left, click "USMLE Step 1 prep" and on the right hand side, you can see all (or at least most) of the lectures from MS1 and MS2. I'll admit that I listened to the first anatomy lecture (I promise I'm not a gunner, I was just curious).

Wow! great find!

You can buy your own but most students buy the stethoscope, oto-ophthalmoscope, reflex hammer, and tuning forks at discounted rates through the AMSA student group. This sale occurs during the beginning or middle of your first year.

The money from the AMSA sale goes towards school events, so it is a worthy cause. But be aware there are often MUCH cheaper versions that are functional available.

I don't think I have heard of anyone getting accepted off the waitlist after may 15, anyone know if there's any hope?

Thank you!

Yeah, this process has not made much sense to me. All I have really learned is not to let myself be defined by the good or the bad of it.

Has anyone already received their ####@pitt.edu email account through written notification?? (Just the general pitt account not the medstudent.pitt account). Thanks!

Has anyone already received their ####@pitt.edu email account through written notification?? (Just the general pitt account not the medstudent.pitt account). Thanks!

I got it through snail mail about a week back.

The money from the AMSA sale goes towards school events, so it is a worthy cause. But be aware there are often MUCH cheaper versions that are functional available.

Yes... one could make a very strong argument that you don't even need anything except the stethoscope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know, Natrix, but I did ask the people at Admissions whether I was the last one admitted, and they said no. They admit people until August, they said, so I imagine there is still a chance.

So, just wanted to let all the admitted students who will be coming here know that they are in for an awesome experience!

I just recently arrived to Pitt Med, doing the pre-mat program (think of it as a little preview of what is to come in the fall), and I can tell you, being here is amazing! They have so much stuff to offer in terms of opportunities and resources, and all the administration we've met seem to be really invested in us, and our future success. The class, judging from the pre-mat population, seems to be a really cool bunch, too!

If you guys have any questions, let me know. Not that I know all the answers after being here a couple of weeks, but I certainly can find out answers from the terrific Pitt support network, which I'm getting more familiar with...

I guess I could be particularly useful for answering questions relating to getting here/adjusting & such. We just finished our small preview of the Medical Anatomy course (1st block we take as med students) and had a test this past Friday, so I could answer some general questions regarding that specific class. Dr. Schumann is the man!

Anyways, Pitt is off the hook! You will be so glad you decided to come here! I am F***ing ecstatic!!

Last edited:
Hey all! As school begins in just 3 weeks, I was wondering if any of you have already taken out an internet plan. What service provider/plan do you recommend? It appears that Verizon is cheapest ($24.99/mo for the first 6 months and then $39.99/mo after that). Did any of you find better?

Hey all! As school begins in just 3 weeks, I was wondering if any of you have already taken out an internet plan. What service provider/plan do you recommend? It appears that Verizon is cheapest ($24.99/mo for the first 6 months and then $39.99/mo after that). Did any of you find better?

Not sure if its available in the area, but Verison's fiber-optic FIOS service is very fast and pretty reasonable.

Anyone start purchasing tickets for orientation activities already? (Cruise, Rafting, Kennywood and Pirates Games)

I was thinking about the Cruise (heard its the best one), whitewater rafting and possibly Kennywood (not sure about this one). Im not a huge baseball fan (well Pirates or Mets fan) so I will not go to that one.

Last edited:
Anyone start purchasing tickets for orientation activities already? (Cruise, Rafting, Kennywood and Pirates Games)

I was thinking about the Cruise (heard its the best one), whitewater rafting and possibly Kennywood (not sure about this one). Im not a huge baseball fan (well Pirates or Mets fan) so I will not go to that one.

Cruise sounds like the most fun but is also the most expensive. :(

i did all except the Pirates game. I think the amusement park will be fun regardless of how crummy it may be. Besides, might as well max out my fun before the studying sets in.

A second-year I talked to said that the dinner cruise was a must-attend. Apparently, it's when you meet and get to know all your classmates. I went to Kennywood a few weeks ago, and it was pretty fun. I mean, it was no Cedar Point, but there were plenty of rides and enjoyable activities.

Is anyone else having difficulty with setting up DSL/phone through Verizon? They messed up my order and I keep getting the run-around since they were apparently bought out by Frontier. It's getting really frustrating. :mad:

stupid question, but what color scrubs everyone getting?? :p

stupid question, but what color scrubs everyone getting?? :p

Lol, I was kind of excited when I found out we could pick a color. I bought a black set and blue set.

Just got the "Complications" book. I already have it though but its definitely a good book and the little note they left in it was a nice touch. Now I can give my old copy to one of my premed friends

looks like I'll jump on the "blue" bandwagon too :D

looks like I'll jump on the "blue" bandwagon too :D

anyone else find it funny that the letter pitt posted on the zone said "anyone new to Pittsburgh should be moved in no later than August 1st" yet Darragh doesn't let people move in until August 6th. Go school housing.

anyone else find it funny that the letter pitt posted on the zone said "anyone new to Pittsburgh should be moved in no later than August 1st" yet Darragh doesn't let people move in until August 6th. Go school housing.

Are you sure about Darragh? I have an august 1 lease and they said I could move in as early as july 30th, as they would be closed from July 31-August 1. You should give the property management department a call and see what they say.

plus, the week of the eighth is orientation, and from the schedule, it looks like we have some afternoons off.....

im reaching pittsburgh on the fifth :)

Are any of you buying any specific stationery (binders, large notebooks, etc.)?

I don't want to show up to the first day with nothing lol.

Are you sure about Darragh? I have an august 1 lease and they said I could move in as early as july 30th, as they would be closed from July 31-August 1. You should give the property management department a call and see what they say.

Yea, I got the same thing about not being able to move in on the 1st of August. I was a lil pissed about that but I can't really do much. Im gonna UHAUL my stuff over on the early morning of the 6th. They said that we can't move in because people move out on the 1st so they have to check the rooms and clean it so it will take a couple of days.

Hey for those of you already in Pitt and driving, do I need to get a Pennsylvania driver's license or can I drive with my California one? I read up the DMV regulations and they said that I have to get a new one within 60 days of residence but I thought there might be a rule that exempts students for the reasons of state residency.

Hey for those of you already in Pitt and driving, do I need to get a Pennsylvania driver's license or can I drive with my California one? I read up the DMV regulations and they said that I have to get a new one within 60 days of residence but I thought there might be a rule that exempts students for the reasons of state residency.

Incidentally, I'm also from California and Persian. I'm keeping my drivers license from cali -- I think that rule applies if you actually become a Pennsylvania resident (voting in elections) otherwise you should be allowed to keep your license and drive around.

just got to pitt....why is it so freakin hot over here? :eek:

I just got rejected...I don't know what I am going to do. Here I am 3 weeks into medical school and Pitt rejects me? I was already planning on withdrawing from this school to go to Pitt. I thought these 3 weeks here were just practice...

Status
Not open for further replies.