2009-2010 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I got the special interest email from Pitt today, and sent an email reply to them about 2 hours later. Do they update the status page with an acceptance (assuming that I am indeed accepted)? How soon after the status page is updated do they want a definitive reply re: matriculation? I got a really good financial aid package from Northwestern, but this morning's email gives me pause since I really enjoyed Pitt...

Edit: Oh! just received email acceptance! For those who are wondering about timeframes, they are giving me about 10 days to give them a final answer.

so if you receive this "interest" email and then say that you are still interested, but then after you get the acceptance you decide that you don't want to go there, is that bad? The school where I'm planning to matriculate is awesome, but I MIGHT choose Pitt over it... it would be a really tough decision and I haven't really thought it through. So, if I were to receive this elusive interest email, would it be acceptable to say I'm interested, even though I may not go?

Members don't see this ad :)
so if you receive this "interest" email and then say that you are still interested, but then after you get the acceptance you decide that you don't want to go there, is that bad? The school where I'm planning to matriculate is awesome, but I MIGHT choose Pitt over it... it would be a really tough decision and I haven't really thought it through. So, if I were to receive this elusive interest email, would it be acceptable to say I'm interested, even though I may not go?

I think as long as you would legitimately be considering attending pitt if given the option, its ok to tell them you're interested, as its not a binding statement.

What would be wrong is to tell them you're interested when you know you won't go to boost the ego and "stats"

I got the interest email too! Email confirmation about 1.5 hours later! MY FIRST acceptance and it just truly feels so surreal right now.:eek::):D

Gluck for the rest of u guys on the waitlist!:luck:

I got the interest email too! Email confirmation about 1.5 hours later! MY FIRST acceptance and it just truly feels so surreal right now.:eek::):D

Wow, congrats on your first acceptance, and to Pitt no less!

Any plans for the celebration?

Wow, congrats on your first acceptance, and to Pitt no less!

Any plans for the celebration?

Thanks DoctwoB!!! I will be celebrating for sure, don't know yet when, where or what!

And btw, do you know of a good place to start looking for housing in Pitt?

Yeah, as others said, it's fine to express interest without being 100% sure that you'd matriculate. I said that I was "very interested" (which I am), and if my Pitt financial aid package is comparable to that offered by my May 15th school, then I'll have some big decisions to make.

yo if I remember correctly, you have pretty killer stats. But only ONE acceptance? And with that- off the waitlist? What happened?!??

yo if I remember correctly, you have pretty killer stats. But only ONE acceptance? And with that- off the waitlist? What happened?!??

I'm not sure when I disclosed my stats here on SDN...with that said, I'm pretty sure the problem with my application was my LORs (I got a professional's opinion). I've been improving my application since last Oct 2009 for reapplication and am pretty sure I will get into A LOT more schools next time cuz I've fixed the non-academic weaknesses in my app...but Pitt is an awesome school so I will NOT be reapplying.

I'm not sure when I disclosed my stats here on SDN...with that said, I'm pretty sure the problem with my application was my LORs (I got a professional's opinion). I've been improving my application since last Oct 2009 for reapplication and am pretty sure I will get into A LOT more schools next time cuz I've fixed the non-academic weaknesses in my app...but Pitt is an awesome school so I will NOT be reapplying.

hey, all you need is one acceptance, and it's so great that it's to Pitt. congrats!!

Did the accepted people get the Welcome Certificates?

Kind of corny, but it reminds me that I'm going to Pitt!! :D

Did the accepted people get the Welcome Certificates?

Kind of corny, but it reminds me that I'm going to Pitt!! :D

By mail? I got an e-mail telling me I better make sure I pay them and not have other acceptances right now :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
What's a welcome certificate?

Just an email we received today with a pdf attached that is basically a sheet that says:

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Office of Student Affairs and Diversity Programs
Welcomes......John Doe, MS1
To the Pitt Med Fam

Just an email we received today with a pdf attached that is basically a sheet that says:

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Office of Student Affairs and Diversity Programs
Welcomes......John Doe, MS1
To the Pitt Med Fam

i got an email today but no attachment....weird?

did you guys send your deposits already? I've been lagging on that...:sleep:

Nope, haven't received the PDF. I just got the email yesterday about the deposit.

I'm living abroad at the moment and my Pitt SOM acceptance packet will be mailed to my parents in the States. Seeing as they will also be out of the country when it arrives, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it contains? Besides filling out my financial aid information and finding a place to live, I'm just wondering if there's anything else I need to do to prepare. I'd love to just get it done and then enjoy my summer before things get crazy!

Oh, and also, I have a 5-year old Macbook. What are the odds it'll last me through med school? ;) I'm SO not a computer person.

Last edited:
I'm living abroad at the moment and my Pitt SOM acceptance packet will be mailed to my parents in the States. Seeing as they will also be out of the country when it arrives, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it contains? Besides filling out my financial aid information and finding a place to live, I'm just wondering if there's anything else I need to do to prepare. I'd love to just get it done and then enjoy my summer before things get crazy!

Oh, and also, I have a 5-year old Macbook. What are the odds it'll last me through med school? ;) I'm SO not a computer person.

Hmm...I don't remember there being anything TOO important in the packet. You need to sign and return a couple forms. Also, you need to send the 100$ deposit. Aside from those two things, I don't really see anything you will need to do.

as for the computer, I think most people consider getting a new computer that will last them the four years of med school. I don't think Pitt has any specific requirements for computers (correct me if im wrong...). I'm sure you're macbook will be OK for most things you'll need to do for school

If its a problem, you could email Pitt and ask for digital copies of the forms you need to submit and return and do them where you are.

About the Macbook, I'd say it should be fine, assuming you've kept it in relatively good shape. You might want to consider upgrading the RAM (costs about $50), which is pretty easy and will boost the speed by a lot, and its something I could help you with on campus if you want.

Filling out the Need Access form since I was pulled off of the waitlist a few days ago - this thing is an utter beast.

Need Access must be something similar to childbirth. It sucks while you are going through it, but as soon as you are done, it's a huge relief. I really liked the need-based scholarships I got from filling it out! Keep that in mind.

So not everyone got the Welcome Certificates? It's really just a formality, so don't freak out fellow SDNers/classmates. Just thought it was a kinda dorky, but well intentioned gesture and that's why I mentioned it.

I'm so damn excited about Pitt Med!!!!

How many of you guys are planning on doing the pre-mat program?? I probably won't do it because I need some R&R out of the country before school starts. Wish I could actually move in earlier.....can't move into Darragh until August 6th with White Coat being August 8th....

How many of you guys are planning on doing the pre-mat program?? I probably won't do it because I need some R&R out of the country before school starts. Wish I could actually move in earlier.....can't move into Darragh until August 6th with White Coat being August 8th....

Thats rough, especially as darragh comes unfurnished. I thought the leases started August 1st though.

Accepted today off the waitlist! I thought my cycle was over already. What a rush. Now I just have to figure out where I'll be next fall.:confused:

I'm attending the pre-mat. I think it's limited to ~20 people and almost full right now. The program seems like it's a laid back introduction to Pittsburgh the city, the hospitals, the curriculum. I'm excited to check out Pittsburgh and find an off campus place to live. Looking forward to meeting some of you there.

Thats rough, especially as darragh comes unfurnished. I thought the leases started August 1st though.

Yea management said that for the 2 bedroom im moving into, people move out a little before august 1st and there are a couple days devoted to cleaning and maintenance so my roommate and I will move in around august 6th based on their calculation when things would be ready. Lol, two days to get settled and build my furniture. Though, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter as much just a little bit of an inconvenience.

Accepted today off the waitlist! I thought my cycle was over already. What a rush. Now I just have to figure out where I'll be next fall.:confused:

Congrats! For what its worth, everyone on this thread thinks pitt is awesome in our completely unbiased opinions. Where are you trying to decide between?

Congrats everyone!! I'm going to be attending Pitt this fall, and I was wondering if any others matriculating at Pitt have begun thinking about where to live. It seems the only reasonably priced places are 15-20 minutes away by bus. Having lived on campus all through college, this seems a little far.

Can someone advise me on areas, etc? If anyone is looking to share too, let me know!

Congrats everyone!! I'm going to be attending Pitt this fall, and I was wondering if any others matriculating at Pitt have begun thinking about where to live. It seems the only reasonably priced places are 15-20 minutes away by bus. Having lived on campus all through college, this seems a little far.

Can someone advise me on areas, etc? If anyone is looking to share too, let me know!

I'm planning on living in the darragh street apartments right across the street from campus. If you go to the off campus living website http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/apartments/university-owned.html, you can call and ask. There were still a few available last time I checked.

I am really begining to despair in my hopes for getting of the waitlist, this school is my absolute top choice....

a lot of pitt med students live in shadyside and squirrel hill. both neighborhoods have plenty of availability and you can easily get to and from pitt by bus, and remember, buses are free for pitt students. the current students i talked to who live in these neighborhoods seem to think it works out just fine. there were really no significant complaints. i'll be living in shadyside next year and i don't expect it to be inconvenient at all. i've even heard of some people living downtown or in south side. those seem too far away for me, but to each his own i guess.

Congrats! For what its worth, everyone on this thread thinks pitt is awesome in our completely unbiased opinions. Where are you trying to decide between?

I'm trying to decide between Pitt and UVa at the moment. I'm also on the waitlist at Mount Sinai and I'm curious to see how that turns out. But they said most of their movement won't occur until the beginning of June.

I really want to see what kind of financial aid I receive from Pitt before I decide. I just submitted my need access yesterday. Hopefully they give me monies! :xf:

And another thing. I never got an interest email, just a straight acceptance. I guess they knew I was interested? Lol

I'm attending the pre-mat. I think it's limited to ~20 people and almost full right now. The program seems like it's a laid back introduction to Pittsburgh the city, the hospitals, the curriculum. I'm excited to check out Pittsburgh and find an off campus place to live. Looking forward to meeting some of you there.

I'm also doing the pre-mat program! The main draw for me was getting to move there earlier and be settled once school starts.

Where are you planning to live during the program? Litchfield? I'm desperately trying to find a sublet, but obviously, timing is really inconvenient. Also, people in Craigslist just ignore my inquiries. Not even a "ugh, no thanks!"

About the Macbook, I'd say it should be fine, assuming you've kept it in relatively good shape. You might want to consider upgrading the RAM (costs about $50), which is pretty easy and will boost the speed by a lot, and its something I could help you with on campus if you want.

Hey thanks... I already upgraded the RAM to the max (2 gigs) so I'm okay there. I think I just WANT a new comp, even if I don't need it! I am so tempted by Snow Leopard!!

Hey thanks... I already upgraded the RAM to the max (2 gigs) so I'm okay there. I think I just WANT a new comp, even if I don't need it! I am so tempted by Snow Leopard!!

If your computer is already 5 years old, I would get a new one before med school starts. My mac book is 4 years old and I'll be replacing it in before school starts. Newer macs have much better videocards. We'll have to study/analyze a good amount of images and video. If you're getting a MacBook Pro, I'd also consider getting the anti-glare screen, even if it doesn't look as slick. When you're looking at tissue slides, X-rays, MRI's, etc., you're not going to want the glare.

If I were buying a laptop, this is the one I would get

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=808&item=CN7054.

It's fast, supposedly well built, and has great battery life.

That being said, my thinkpad is holding up just fine, so i'm not in the market for med school.

Has anyone received info on stuff like the computer, titers, equipment and whatnot? Or does that all come closer to the time we start?

Has anyone received info on stuff like the computer, titers, equipment and whatnot? Or does that all come closer to the time we start?

I haven't, and we'll probably get the list closer to the start date. I'd hold off on buying anything until then (though I'm pretty sure any kind of computer is fine). Haven't heard about immunization forms and whatnot also.

I'm going to build a desktop and keep using my laptop I bought at the beginning of undergrad, even if it doesn't have a battery anymore, haha. Besides, if the laptop breaks, I could probably use the money saved on the desktop to buy a netbook for a few hundred (I hope!)

I'm going to build a desktop and keep using my laptop I bought at the beginning of undergrad, even if it doesn't have a battery anymore, haha. Besides, if the laptop breaks, I could probably use the money saved on the desktop to buy a netbook for a few hundred (I hope!)

Nice. I built my desktop about 2 years ago, and it's still running strong. Though, I think Pitt just gives out Windows 7 if you want it, so I'm going from XP to 7 as soon as I get there. I don't own a laptop, and I'm thinking about a Mac maybe.

Nice. I built my desktop about 2 years ago, and it's still running strong. Though, I think Pitt just gives out Windows 7 if you want it, so I'm going from XP to 7 as soon as I get there. I don't own a laptop, and I'm thinking about a Mac maybe.

Yup, I think we get a version of Office too. Free software!

Is the version of Office they offer only for Windows, or do they also have Mac versions?

Cool, Office 2008 for Mac! Along with the latest Mac OSX, Adobe, Corel, Matlab, EndNote, Parallels, Symantec, and others. I'm impressed by what they offer.

Thanks AUD!

Cool, Office 2008 for Mac! Along with the latest Mac OSX, Adobe, Corel, Matlab, EndNote, Parallels, Symantec, and others. I'm impressed by what they offer.

Thanks AUD!

Gotta get our money's worth, right? Hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.