2009-2010 University of Louisville School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey can u post whether you're oos/is and when u were complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was working through the UofL Secondary and started doing the course audit- I don't know if I meet the requirements?! I took AP Bio which took care of my general biology credits; there are several schools that didn't mind this as long as I took two advanced biology classes and two advanced biology labs, which I did. I don't know UofL's policy and I can't find it. Anyone who can shed some light on this for me (good or bad) would be very helpful. I guess I could always take it this year.

Shoot an email to [email protected] with your question. I did that because I wanted to check and see if I met the "organismal" biology requirement. They were very helpful. Just make sure to thoroughly explain your situation and list the course descriptions. That way they can make a judgment.

On another note: Did folks recieve an email with interview invites, or was there just a status update? Any difference for IS/OOS?

Shoot an email to [email protected] with your question. I did that because I wanted to check and see if I met the "organismal" biology requirement. They were very helpful. Just make sure to thoroughly explain your situation and list the course descriptions. That way they can make a judgment.

On another note: Did folks recieve an email with interview invites, or was there just a status update? Any difference for IS/OOS?

Email. No status update yet.

i mean according to the MSAR theres a huge difference in IS/OOS but i had ties to the state

Interview Invite just now! OOS. Interview: 9/16

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else on SDN going down next wednesday for the interview?

Hey, did anyone else have any issues formatting the "essays" on the secondary? I typed the essays directly into the secondary using IE. The formatting is fine for the "Education" section, but the "Employment History and Extracurricular Activities" section is causing problems. It won't allow me to use an apostrophe.

Also, for the "What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?" question, it won't save my entire essay. I've typed the entire essay 2-3 times then saved. Each time, it cuts it off after the first line. In other words, it only saves one line.

Not sure if anyone else had these problems. Perhaps its my computer. If nothing else, I'll call them Monday.

Hey, did anyone else have any issues formatting the "essays" on the secondary? I typed the essays directly into the secondary using IE. The formatting is fine for the "Education" section, but the "Employment History and Extracurricular Activities" section is causing problems. It won't allow me to use an apostrophe.

Also, for the "What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?" question, it won't save my entire essay. I've typed the entire essay 2-3 times then saved. Each time, it cuts it off after the first line. In other words, it only saves one line.

Not sure if anyone else had these problems. Perhaps its my computer. If nothing else, I'll call them Monday.

I found their secondary really screwy... it was obnoxious that you couldn't edit a page you had already saved. But I didn't have problems like yours - maybe try Firefox? Thats what I used

Hello everyone. I am a fourth year medical student at U of L and would be happy to answer any questions. Feel free to send PM's too.

I interviewed last week. It was a very laid-back interview. I was first interviewed by a 4th year student and then a faculty physician. The first interviewer really read my PS from AMCAS and I was asked questions based on that so you better know yours well. The ladies at the admissions office desk were really nice and sweet. I didn't realize this but you can complete your Criminal Background Check form at home and bring it in to the interview so that you don't have to fill it again when you get there.

After the interview, you are then matched with a 1st year student for lunch and then will take you on a tour of the school facilities. The University Hospital is located next to other mega-hospitals, research buildings and the medical school. Basically, it's a medical center. After the tour, you get to sit in a full class session with other med students. The day ends after this.

If you're from out-of-state, come early the day before so that you can take a tour of city and really get a feel for it.

Does anybody know what the minimum MCAT score UofL taken?

Does anybody know what the minimum MCAT score UofL taken?

My understanding is a 27/28 is the bottom of the competitive range for IS. OOS you probably want a 10/10/10 30.

I think as far as individiual scores, they TAKE anything above a 6, but your life is alot easier if everything is at least an 8.

This is just the impression others have given me, not promising it's 100% accurate.

yeah, at the interview they said that they notify by snail mail....but i forgot what they said about calling to find out. does anybody who has interviewed remember what they said about that?
I'm so impatient and want to know, but i also don't want to be annoying, haha.

yeah, at the interview they said that they notify by snail mail....but i forgot what they said about calling to find out. does anybody who has interviewed remember what they said about that?
I'm so impatient and want to know, but i also don't want to be annoying, haha.

The dean stated that they won't give out status information over the phone.

Hey everyone!
I just got in a couple of weeks ago...so if you have any questions feel free to ask me

The response does come in the mail, but it doesnt take very long at all, had my mom scan it and send it to me at school!

Will we get a final decision made status change online? I thought I remember them telling us something about that. I am aware that i won't know if i'm accepted, but it would be nice to know if snail mail is on its way.

Hey everyone!
I just got in a couple of weeks ago...so if you have any questions feel free to ask me

The response does come in the mail, but it doesnt take very long at all, had my mom scan it and send it to me at school!

Congrats! Do you know if they changed your status online before you got the mail? I interviewed back in August, so they should have a decision made by now. Status hasn't changed yet though...

yeah, i interviewed in august too, and i don't think my status has changed. "committee decision pending"?

Haha, yea they said they were going to change your status once a decision was made but mine still says "committee decision pending" even though my seat deposit has been received and everything.

I was checking everyday after they said they should have made the decision on my app...hence why i was sooo surprised when my mom sent me my letter.

It's a little frustrating but it also makes it more exciting :laugh:

If your status says "committee decision pending" for the Committee Decision box, but there's an extra section underneath with the header "Seat Deposit Received: " does that mean you have been offered a seat?
Or am I just reading too much into this...? :p

If your status says "committee decision pending" for the Committee Decision box, but there's an extra section underneath with the header "Seat Deposit Received: " does that mean you have been offered a seat?
Or am I just reading too much into this...? :p
Mine has that section, but I've been complete since 7/24 and haven't heard anything from them since my secondary was received...so no, we all have that. Sorry, but good luck!

Anybody had a status change yet? To the "Decision Notification Pending" thing they mentioned at the interview? So far no changes for me and as per last year's forum U of L definitely changed statuses during the day today...

Commme onnn...

does anybody have their status change today or yesterday from what it was?

As I said before, I got in like a month ago on early decision and my status still hasnt been changed. Just (try) to relax and your decision will come when it comes. If you are anything like me, you wont relax but i thought i would at least throw that out there in case you wanted to try it out :p

The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your file and a letter has been sent to you in the mail notifying you of this decision. No final decisions will be given out over the phone.

:):(:confused:

I may be mistaken or have just misunderstood but I thought that they said we would recieve an email and/or they would update or status if we were waitlisted/denied and that we would only find out about an acceptance through snail mail.

So, no one has had a change in their status?

I may be mistaken or have just misunderstood but I thought that they said we would recieve an email and/or they would update or status if we were waitlisted/denied and that we would only find out about an acceptance through snail mail.

So, no one has had a change in their status?

well here's what i know, they don't update you if you are waitlisted until they compile a waitlist in the spring. you get a letter if you are accepted, last year they updated it online about this same date to people who got accepted that a letter was being sent that a decision was made (hint hint). I don't know if everyone got updated today or the lady started and will finish tomorrow or won't bother with it at all...

letters are sent to applicants who are accepted or rejected.

I just looked online and my status has been updated, but I didn't get an email saying that my status had changed, so you might want to check even if you didn't recieve an email. Getting this letter is going to feel like forever....

it means that you are not going to be waitlisted. The committee has made a yes/no decision on your file and will notify you by regular mail.

So you WILL get a definite answer.

I talked with admissions this morning. If your status didn't change to something that says they have sent you a letter then you will not be hearing.

I'm sorry for the confusion. She didn't say but I guess for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.