2009-2010 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to those who have been accepted!
--> Are any of you OOS? If so, what are your stats? And when did you submit your secondaries?

Thanks!

...yeah, I'm quoting myself. I was browsing through this thread, came across that post, and was like "oh hey, good question!", then realized it was my own question. Sheesh. Anyway, I'm still curious about OOS acceptances/interviews. I reeeeally want an interview!

Members don't see this ad.

is Rush EVER going to send out another batch of interview invites..

Yeah, they did today.

Complete 9/10/09
Interview Invite 1/11/10 (IS)
Interviewing late January

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone's "complete" date all of the sudden change today? I was originally complete on September 30th, and just today it now says complete on January 8th... I check this almost daily so I know it just happened. Any one else get this?

With invites going out this morning and me not getting one, I'm assuming they changed something on my status and probably denied me.

Did anyone's "complete" date all of the sudden change today? I was originally complete on September 30th, and just today it now says complete on January 8th... I check this almost daily so I know it just happened. Any one else get this?

With invites going out this morning and me not getting one, I'm assuming they changed something on my status and probably denied me.

That happened to my status page too.

Congratulations to those who just received the interview invites.

Looks like I have missed yet another batch of interview invites and must wait till the next one comes out.

On a different note, I talked to the Admissions' office and found out that the wrong dates were simply a glitch and don't mean that we are no longer being considered. I would love to see if one of the people who got the interview invites check their status page and let us know whether their page has the right dates or whether they are also misrepresented.

Invite this morning. Complete in August. Only took them 5 months.

Those who got the interview invites, would you mind sharing your stats please. I was complete in mid august as well. I just wanna compare myself and see where I stand. Thanks

BTW, I had 3.7 cGPA and 35N. I am also a re-applicant if it matters.

...yeah, I'm quoting myself. I was browsing through this thread, came across that post, and was like "oh hey, good question!", then realized it was my own question. Sheesh. Anyway, I'm still curious about OOS acceptances/interviews. I reeeeally want an interview!
i don't know about this year, but i'm a current M1 and I'm oos so you definitely have a chance. good luck!
is there a second look weekend event for RUSH?
last year there was a second look weekend so i'm pretty sure there will be one this year, trying shooting the admissions office an email?

this is from the rush website -

"Although approximately 1/3 of our applicants are Illinois residents and 2/3 from other states, about 75% of incoming matriculants are Illinois residents."

Also during interview day they told us 1/4 of the people they interviewed were out of state, but once you get an interview you have an equal chance of getting accepted. So just getting the interview is the hard part! Last year I was complete at Rush in September and received an interview invite for mid march. They really emphasize during the interview everyone is interviewing for an actual spot in the class and not waitlist positions so don't give up hope! I'm currently an M1 so if anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
God is the Greatest!!!!!!! I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

A question I have for the current students at Rush, is the exams weekly?

I'm leaning more towards Rush than UIC...

Congrats Salam!! :) And congrats and good luck to all of you who just got interviews . . . the Rush 2014 thread is dead, I really really want some more classmates!:luck::xf:

God is the Greatest!!!!!!! I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

A question I have for the current students at Rush, is the exams weekly?

I'm leaning more towards Rush than UIC...

i think at the interview they said it's just a midterms week and a finals week (sounds pretty sweet, huh?)

for current students . . . what's the deal with the quarter system? are there weeklong breaks between? when do they happen (like any sort of fall or spring break?)

Yep you are correct, exams are midterms and finals - but I've heard rumors of switching to systems based next year so I don't know how things will change.

I've been on the quarter system all of undergrad and think it's great. Fall quarter ends with christmas break (2 weeks) winter with spring break (1 week at end of march), and then of course spring with summer break(June-sept). The only other times off are a few days for thanksgiving break and MLK day. I love it b/c spring break you don't have to do any studying unlike semester schools.

Yep you are correct, exams are midterms and finals - but I've heard rumors of switching to systems based next year so I don't know how things will change.

I've been on the quarter system all of undergrad and think it's great. Fall quarter ends with christmas break (2 weeks) winter with spring break (1 week at end of march), and then of course spring with summer break(June-sept). The only other times off are a few days for thanksgiving break and MLK day. I love it b/c spring break you don't have to do any studying unlike semester schools.

I was able to dig up the 2010-2011 calendar, for those who are curious: http://www.rushu.rush.edu/pdffiles/2010-2011calendar.pdf

we don't start until september!! i'm glad . . . although i am anxious to get started, the more time between now and then means more time to work and save $$$ (and possibly go on a vacation) :)

i also noticed orientation is 3 days long . . . current students, what is orientation like?

I was able to dig up the 2010-2011 calendar, for those who are curious: http://www.rushu.rush.edu/pdffiles/2010-2011calendar.pdf

we don't start until september!! i'm glad . . . although i am anxious to get started, the more time between now and then means more time to work and save $$$ (and possibly go on a vacation) :)

i also noticed orientation is 3 days long . . . current students, what is orientation like?

i think that we might also get memorial day off.
orientation is lots of organizational stuff: you get your ID card, student ID number, and informational stuff. but it's a lot fun at night, the student council organizes social activities at night: meeting your new classmates, bar nights trivia night, boat trip on lake michigan

Thank you Mary and much congrats to u as well!! The Midterm and final only sounds really good. Do students perform well in the exams??

I would vote against doing that. The interview dates are set well in advance so they wouldn't be able to add you even if you are interviewing nearby.

Thank you Mary and much congrats to u as well!! The Midterm and final only sounds really good. Do students perform well in the exams??

what do you mean do students perform well. do you mean passing or do you mean honoring. usually 10-15% of the class honor and almost everyone passes the first time. people say most people fail an exam somewhere, but i don't think that's the case at rush. at rush they really want to help you pass. we have free tutoring for all our classes, some of our professors hold help session every saturday, they are very easy to make appointments with, and they respond to email questions. the thing is, everyone in medical school was the top of whereever they came from. However, now 1/2 of the people have to be below average and that is the reality everywhere.

I am interviewing at Rush soon, and I was wondering, what exactly is bad about the technology?

i just mentioned technology as the only thing that i think that rush can improve on.

1. the email server they use is bad. but i just forward to gmail and read it from there so there is no problem. also they are looking to change their server pretty soon to gmail or something like that anyways.
2. the site where they used to post course information was pretty bad. but now, they have switched over to blackboard so it's all good.

we do have loads of computer resources to help us with our classes. our histology is virtual so that means you can look at it from home. i just wanted to make sure i made a whole presentation on rush and didn't just say how good it was.

anyone know if rush accepts pre-interview update letters?

It seems like nobody has 100% answered this question so I figured I would share how they responded to my pre-interview update:

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']"Thank you for applying to Rush Medical College and for providing us with updated information about your application. Our screening process to identify which applicants to invite for interviews will be based on the original information submitted through the AMCAS application and Rush Supplemental Application. We will place additional information that you send us in your application file, but the information will not be part of the routine screening process. ."

My interpretation of this is they will accept it, and it will not have any weight in selecting you for an interview, but may play a role later on if you get one. So now we just need an interview :D:xf:

yeah it's true they send that message out. in my opinion of an m1 student who had no idea about the admissions process, it won't hurt you to send it. they might look at it, they might not. they aren't going to blackmark (unless you write a really bad one, lots of grammatical errors or write the wrong name of the school) but you don't want to ever wonder. what if ...

and for midterms/finals. that is the system we have know. they might change. i know it is going to systems-based so it might be one at the end of each block.

It might have been a total coincidence, but a couple weeks after sending an update letter I received an interview invite so it can't hurt!

Yes! Woke up to the interview email this morning.
Complete since September.

Last edited:
It might have been a total coincidence, but a couple weeks after sending an update letter I received an interview invite so it can't hurt!

What email address did you send the update to?
thanks..

Yes! Woke up to the interview email this morning.
Complete since September.
Congrats Man!
I've been complete since september 10 and have heard nothing yet. Still keeping my hopes up. What interview dates are they giving out rite now?
Also, if you don't mind....can you tell me a little about ur file (stats, OOS?, research?)
Thanks.

I think it's just a coincidence because I sent an update and received a reply that it was added to my file, however, the additional information would not be factored into decisions regarding interview invites.

I think it's just a coincidence because I sent an update and received a reply that it was added to my file, however, the additional information would not be factored into decisions regarding interview invites.

same here

My interview is coming up and I was just wondering what the experiences have been so far. I checked the Interview Feedback section here on SDN, but they changed the format and it is a bit confusing. From what I gather, there are two interviews, one is open-file and the other is closed file. Is this correct? Were the interviews conversational?

i just mentioned technology as the only thing that i think that rush can improve on.

1. the email server they use is bad. but i just forward to gmail and read it from there so there is no problem. also they are looking to change their server pretty soon to gmail or something like that anyways.
2. the site where they used to post course information was pretty bad. but now, they have switched over to blackboard so it's all good.

we do have loads of computer resources to help us with our classes. our histology is virtual so that means you can look at it from home. i just wanted to make sure i made a whole presentation on rush and didn't just say how good it was.

Cool. Thanks for the help. :)

Last edited:
I have an interview coming up and I was just wondering what the experiences have been so far. I checked the Interview Feedback section here on SDN, but they changed the format and it is a bit confusing. From what I gather, there are two interviews, one is open-file and the other is closed file. Is this correct? Where the interviews conversational?

Thanks for the help. :)

yeah one is open and one is closed . . . there's no option for that in the interview feedback. :rolleyes:

i thought mine were really great and conversational. i had two interviewers that i felt like i had a lot in common with, and i don't think it was a coincidence. i think they try to match you up with people that you'll have something to talk to about. i am especially convinced of this because another girl on my interview date said she got interviewed by a surgeon and her dad is one so she got asked a lot of questions about that.

other than that, i really enjoyed the whole day there. lunch was amazing!! and the current students who toured/ate with us were phenomenal . . . make sure you engage them in conversation, they will tell you all sorts of stuff.

good luck! :D i want more people to get into Rush so I can have more classmates!!

Sound good! Thanks. I am so excited about this school. I hope I get it, it really sounds like a great program.

Congrats Man!
I've been complete since september 10 and have heard nothing yet. Still keeping my hopes up. What interview dates are they giving out rite now?
Also, if you don't mind....can you tell me a little about ur file (stats, OOS?, research?)
Thanks.

I remember seeing spots open from the end of January all the way through Feb, and I remember hearing that they interview even later than that--so stay positive!

As for me, my stats are good, but not stellar. They're right along with what they post as the averages for their students. I'm in-state and have been out of school for a bit, so I've got fair amount of EC's to include, however not much formal research.

Good luck!

I remember seeing spots open from the end of January all the way through Feb, and I remember hearing that they interview even later than that--so stay positive!

As for me, my stats are good, but not stellar. They're right along with what they post as the averages for their students. I'm in-state and have been out of school for a bit, so I've got fair amount of EC's to include, however not much formal research.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I guess its just wait and see for me then.

hey everyone. hang in there. they just told us today they are interviewing every wednesday until mid-late march. hopefully i'll get to meet some of you guys. good luck

Hey has anyone received anything post acceptance? When should we hear from them, in May?

What's a good place to eat dinner near the school? I see a bunch of stuff on Tayler street. Anything good/cheap there?

Last edited:
What's a good place to eat dinner near the school? I see a bunch of stuff on Tayler street. Anything good/cheep there?

Eat at Thai Bowl!! It's near Taylor and Racine, cheap, and PHENOMENAL!

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing at Rush soon and booking my plane ticket. About what time does the interview day end? Thanks! :)

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing at Rush soon and booking my plane ticket. About what time does the interview day end? Thanks! :)

Umm i dont actually remember . . . i think i got out around 2 or 3 but-

just wanted to say GOOD LUCK :D do you have other acceptances already? is Rush a top choice for you?

Does anyone remember what time their interview day at Rush ended?

I interviewed on 1/13 and was told to expect a decision in 4-5 weeks. I received an email this morning with an acceptance letter from the Dean :D These kind of deviations from the expected waiting time, I like. :D

I love Rush and I love the city of Chicago :D

Good luck to everyone else here

I interviewed on 1/13 and was told to expect a decision in 4-5 weeks. I received an email this morning with an acceptance letter from the Dean :D These kind of deviations from the expected waiting time, I like. :D

I love Rush and I love the city of Chicago :D

Good luck to everyone else here

CONGRATS! Yay :D :clap:

yeah they told us "normally its 4-6 weeks but due to the holiday it might be longer." it was over christmas and new years . . . but still only took a month! i was prepared for a much longer and more agonizing wait.

are you still deciding between/ waiting on other schools, or do you think you'll be matriculating at Rush??

Any recent invites going out? I feel so ignored. But it's a feeling I'm starting to become quite accustomed to. :p

Any recent invites going out? I feel so ignored. But it's a feeling I'm starting to become quite accustomed to. :p

i'm sure they are . . . someone posted earlier that they are going to be interviewing every wednesday up til (through?) march. my overall impression is that they are filling their class slowly. which is nice, though- i think they are really taking the time picking out people who fit. (which is the exact opposite of how I felt at my MCW interview)

what are your stats?

i'm sure they are . . . someone posted earlier that they are going to be interviewing every wednesday up til (through?) march. my overall impression is that they are filling their class slowly. which is nice, though- i think they are really taking the time picking out people who fit. (which is the exact opposite of how I felt at my MCW interview)

what are your stats?

35 MCAT
GPA is right around their median.

I'm OOS though, so it's okay, I know my chances are much lower that way. :) Thanks for the info. I appreciate the response.

And funny enough, I have an MCW interview coming up. We'll see if I get that same cattle call feeling.

Last edited:
35 MCAT
GPA is right around their median.

I'm OOS though, so it's okay, I know my chances are much lower that way. :) Thanks for the info. I appreciate the response.

so your stats are right on par with mine. and unless your username is totally illogical, you're from CA and . . . well, i think they like cali people. you're the second most represented state there after us (IL)

i know they also like people with lots of clinical experience, and i think they like people with job experience, took a year or two off, etc.

best of luck to you. i love it so much, i seriously just want everybody to get in. did you apply to loyola too? i think they are similar- slow to interview, but accept a big % of interviewees, lots of cali people get invited.

oooh well i got my Rush invite about 2-3 weeks after my MCW invite . . . maybe you're next :) seeing as how these are the only 2 schools that accepted me, maybe they are looking for the same things! (which bodes well for you)

don't get me wrong, MCW is a great school. i just didn't feel the 'fit' there like i did with Rush. but then again i am a chicago girl to the core, so your impressions may be a lot different!

Status
Not open for further replies.