2009-2010 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I received an interview invite about 2 hours ago...so excited!! :) . It said in the email that it was for the last interview day, which is March 24th. Hopefully they are sending out more of those tonight/tomorrow!!

Members don't see this ad.

Posting this late, i was in the Jan 2nd interview group, and was accepted Jan 29th.

3.55 cum gpa, 3.35 science gpa, 29 mcat, taking a year off after graduating undergrad to do a volunteering corps program

wahoooo!

Hi everyone...as the screenname implies, I'm an M4 here, finishing up my last few weeks at Rush. I'd be glad to answer any questions you guys might have about our school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone...as the screenname implies, I'm an M4 here, finishing up my last few weeks at Rush. I'd be glad to answer any questions you guys might have about our school.

any general first year advice, made specific to Rush? what do you wish someone would have told you? also, are all you students really as happy as you seem when you wave and smile at us during our interviews??? :D

This definitely makes sense. This year the M1 class is their biggest class ever (144 vs the usual 128) - and they were very surprised with how many people accepted their spots so I imagine this year they will be a little more careful giving out acceptances and hopefully use the waitlist! Good luck!

oh my, that is a lot . . .

so this year do you think their goal is to get it back down to 128?

Hey everyone! I am so excited about Rush... Is there a second look day? I hope so! I think I'll email Jill about it when I get back from work today, but just wondering if any of you guys knew of one :) Hope to see you all there!

Hey everyone! I am so excited about Rush... Is there a second look day? I hope so! I think I'll email Jill about it when I get back from work today, but just wondering if any of you guys knew of one :) Hope to see you all there!

I got this e-mail from Jill on Saturday:

Rush Medical College Second Look Day -- Friday, April 30, 2010

Rush Medical College is hosting its Second Look Day on Friday, April 30, 2010, from approximately 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Please mark the date in your calendar now, and watch your e-mail for more details!

Looking forward to seeing you again on April 30!

any general first year advice, made specific to Rush? what do you wish someone would have told you? also, are all you students really as happy as you seem when you wave and smile at us during our interviews??? :D

Sorry about the late response. In terms of advice for your M1 year at Rush, keep in mind the fact that the administration have been instituting pretty significant changes in the curriculum since I was a first year. That said, here goes...

If your undergrad experience was anything like mine, med school is going to quite a new experience for you. Be prepared for wrote memorization of random minutiae like you've seen before, because that's about 80% of your first two years of med school. One of the great things about Rush is that on the first day of every quarter, your professors will give you syllabuses, which are essentially binders containing comprehensive notes for that course. Don't waste too much money on books!!! In most of your classes, the syllabus will be more than sufficient to ace the exams. A lot of M1s (myself included) will panic at some point and end up buying textbooks that we never end up using.

I would try to attend all of you classes for at least the 2 weeks or so, and then decided which you can afford to skip. Since most of the syllabuses contain everything you need for the exam, there will be some classes where you'll gain little from attending...when I was a 1st year, those courses were biochem and physio. Anatomy, on the other hand, had lousy notes and you definitely had to go (esp. to gross lab).

I'll try to think of more stuff...and I'd be more than happy to any other questions you might have.

And yes, we are as friendly as we seem on the tours :)

Sorry about the late response. In terms of advice for your M1 year at Rush, keep in mind the fact that the administration have been instituting pretty significant changes in the curriculum since I was a first year. That said, here goes...

If your undergrad experience was anything like mine, med school is going to quite a new experience for you. Be prepared for wrote memorization of random minutiae like you've seen before, because that's about 80% of your first two years of med school. One of the great things about Rush is that on the first day of every quarter, your professors will give you syllabuses, which are essentially binders containing comprehensive notes for that course. Don't waste too much money on books!!! In most of your classes, the syllabus will be more than sufficient to ace the exams. A lot of M1s (myself included) will panic at some point and end up buying textbooks that we never end up using.

I would try to attend all of you classes for at least the 2 weeks or so, and then decided which you can afford to skip. Since most of the syllabuses contain everything you need for the exam, there will be some classes where you'll gain little from attending...when I was a 1st year, those courses were biochem and physio. Anatomy, on the other hand, had lousy notes and you definitely had to go (esp. to gross lab).

I'll try to think of more stuff...and I'd be more than happy to any other questions you might have.

And yes, we are as friendly as we seem on the tours :)

any advice regarding 3rd and 4th year there? now that you've been applying for residency is there anything you wish you would have done differently/ done more of? anything that turned out to be less important than you thought it would be? (i hear people say M1 grades a lot for that!) :D

good luck matching by the way. what are you trying to go into?

At my interview they said that we will be the first class to have a systems/organ based syllabus. This is an extreme plus for me because it seems to make more sense to learn about the body this way! One question that might have been answered somewhere: what is the first year like in day-to-day terms? Are we done with classes by 12 most days or are classes kind of held throughout most of the day?

Thanks RushM4 for your offer to give advice. I take your offer as a sign that the students at Rush really are as friendly and collegial as they seemed during my interview (1/20/10). I was accepted in Feb!!

Anyway, I'd like to know your opinion on living situations while at Rush, particularly during the 1st year? I know there's the Center Tower (or something like that) but do students ever get together and rent apartments in the area? If I can find 1-2 students that would want to live in apt, would we be "outsiders"? What proportion of M1s live on campus, if you had to guess?

Thanks!!

At my interview they said that we will be the first class to have a systems/organ based syllabus. This is an extreme plus for me because it seems to make more sense to learn about the body this way! One question that might have been answered somewhere: what is the first year like in day-to-day terms? Are we done with classes by 12 most days or are classes kind of held throughout most of the day?

It's hard to say what your schedule will be like as it is changing so much next year. Right now we usually have lectures 8-12 every morning and then a couple afternoons a week we have small group stuff or workshops. We always are done at noon on friday and at least one other day of the week. Next year I have heard they are cutting back even more on class time and having more self study for lectures, but more small group things.

Thanks RushM4 for your offer to give advice. I take your offer as a sign that the students at Rush really are as friendly and collegial as they seemed during my interview (1/20/10). I was accepted in Feb!!

Anyway, I'd like to know your opinion on living situations while at Rush, particularly during the 1st year? I know there's the Center Tower (or something like that) but do students ever get together and rent apartments in the area? If I can find 1-2 students that would want to live in apt, would we be "outsiders"? What proportion of M1s live on campus, if you had to guess?

Thanks!!

Center Court is the housing for Rush students. I would guess about 30-40% of the M1 class live in the complex. They are a little older, but only a block from the hospital...so super convenient! I know some people have had issues (especially the first floor as it is almost like a basement feeling), but they have TONS of closet space and all the rooms are really good sized. People also comment that you can find housing for cheaper around the area, but since I don't have a car, I am a huge fan of the proximity to Rush. Another huge plus is if you decide to stay, you can store your stuff for free over the summer (b/w M1 and M2 year) and there is also parking, cable, and soon to be internet included in the rent.

As for other places to live, I'm sure people will post in the facebook group closer to the start of class asking for roommates on apartments they find. If you chose to do that, I don't think you will be an outsider, there are a lot of get togethers at center court before going out and stuff, but there are plenty of outings planned by the class for you to meet up at. Anyways, Let me know if you have any specific questions about Center court or other complexes in the area!

Members don't see this ad :)
Center Court is the housing for Rush students. I would guess about 30-40% of the M1 class live in the complex. They are a little older, but only a block from the hospital...so super convenient! I know some people have had issues (especially the first floor as it is almost like a basement feeling), but they have TONS of closet space and all the rooms are really good sized. People also comment that you can find housing for cheaper around the area, but since I don't have a car, I am a huge fan of the proximity to Rush. Another huge plus is if you decide to stay, you can store your stuff for free over the summer (b/w M1 and M2 year) and there is also parking, cable, and soon to be internet included in the rent.

As for other places to live, I'm sure people will post in the facebook group closer to the start of class asking for roommates on apartments they find. If you chose to do that, I don't think you will be an outsider, there are a lot of get togethers at center court before going out and stuff, but there are plenty of outings planned by the class for you to meet up at. Anyways, Let me know if you have any specific questions about Center court or other complexes in the area!

If I live in Center Court, where do I live during the summer? Do I have to move out for the summer, or does Rush allow students to stay there over the summer? I know Rush allows you to store belongings over the summer, but do the students themselves have to move out for the summer?

any advice regarding 3rd and 4th year there? now that you've been applying for residency is there anything you wish you would have done differently/ done more of? anything that turned out to be less important than you thought it would be? (i hear people say M1 grades a lot for that!) :D
If you think you're interested in a competitive field (ortho, neurosurg, derm, plastics), I would definitely try to get involved with research fairly early on. The reality of the situation is that you will need research & publications to be a competitive applicant in those fields...and even if you ultimately decide to pursue a different specialty, a little research never hurt anyone's application. Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks to Rush is that, outside of a couple of fields, we're not really a research powerhouse. As a result, it can be a little challenging (though by no means impossible) to find a project to get involved with. The department chairs here are generally very approachable, and appreciate students who demonstrate an interest in their fields.

I agree, M1 grades are not super important here - they count for less than 10% of your final GPA which is used to calculate your class rank. Everything is heavily heavily weighted towards your M3 grades here (ultimately your Medicine rotation counts for almost as much as your M1 & M2 years combined). That said, I wouldn't completely disregard them - I would focus on learning the material as well as possible to help you prepare for Step I (and preclinical honors are still looked upon well).

Thanks!!
Congratulations on getting in!

You wouldn't by any means be an outsider if you chose to live elsewhere. I lived in Center Courts my M1 year, but moved out after that. It's not a bad deal, but I wanted live in a nicer building. I don't know if you can give you an exact proportion, but most of my friends live elsewhere.

If I live in Center Court, where do I live during the summer? Do I have to move out for the summer, or does Rush allow students to stay there over the summer? I know Rush allows you to store belongings over the summer, but do the students themselves have to move out for the summer?
As I recall, you do have the option to pay rent and stay over the summer.

Last edited:

No you don't have to move out for the summer...just continue to pay rent. By being a huge plus I just meant for all the students that are going home for the summer you don't have to worry about subletting/moving all of your stuff into storage and wasting money.

The schedule for next year is not 100% confirmed yet. However, it is confirmed that you guys will have much more time off than we do and I am currently an M1. You guys start at 8 and get off between 10-12 depending on the day. In the afternoons you have 2 hour small group/lab sessions but not everyday. Overall, your schedule is much nicer than ours, not that ours is all that bad :)

Here's the 2009-2010 tuition/fees:
M1: $46,272
M2: $45,804
M3: $45,804
M4: $45,804

Doesn't include health insurance ($2600/year) I believe.

Health Insurance IS included in these fees and yes it is mandatory regardless of if you are on another plan or not.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably join a Rush M1 Facebook group this summer and find other students looking to rent an apartment in the area.

My next question is: I recall during my interview that there is not a gym facility on campus, but UIC offers one to Rush students. Do you know much about this? Is it close to where I'll be spending most of my time? How much does it cost approximately?

Hello!

So second look is Apr 30th from 9:30 to 3:30 pm... I wonder if there are other events scheduled for the rest of the weekend, or other unofficial events that current med students set up for us? Just wondering because I am out of state, definitely want to attend, but want to know when to book my flight home. Any thoughts? I kind of assume that we might set something up for fri night or sat amongst ourselves anyway, but yeah. Just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone has any comments! :)

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably join a Rush M1 Facebook group this summer and find other students looking to rent an apartment in the area.

My next question is: I recall during my interview that there is not a gym facility on campus, but UIC offers one to Rush students. Do you know much about this? Is it close to where I'll be spending most of my time? How much does it cost approximately?

I don't remember the exact numbers - but I believe the gym was about 450 for the whole year and then Rush reimburses you 150 - so it ends up costing you about 300 for the whole year. It is about 4 or 5 blocks from the school so not super close, but not super far. It has all the standard machines, weights as well as a pool.

Hi everyone. I noticed for the two most recent match lists (including 2010), 8 students matched for general surgery each year. Is it common for only 8 students a year to pursue general surgery, or is it too competitive for more than 8 students to match into general surgery each year? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone. I noticed for the two most recent match lists (including 2010), 8 students matched for general surgery each year. Is it common for only 8 students a year to pursue general surgery, or is it too competitive for more than 8 students to match into general surgery each year? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

general surgery in general is not very competitive. match lists are only representative of what that class is interested in. for example, rush attracts people who are interested in ortho because of our really good ortho department so we have a higher number who match into ortho. it just depends what the class is interested in. and plus i wouldn't worry about matching just yet. but good luck!

Does anyone happen to know for sure whether the interview season is done? i read someone's thread a few weeks ago that they received an interview and it was for the last day (Mar 24). However, looking at Rush supp, I noticed they write they are extending interviews till late march, early April!!!

Can someone with the know-hows explain what stage we are at. Should I just give up hope on Rush and just focus on the schools I got into or do I still have a chance of getting an interview.

Thanks

^Wondering the same thing. If anyone can provide some input, it would be very helpful.

I received a letter telling me about Rush's second look on Apr. 30th today. However, I havent received any info about my admissions status after the interview. Is there anyone out there that might have some info about that? I hate it because Im so anxious to know whether this may be good news or no news at all lol.

Last edited:
They told us at the interview today that it was definitely the last day for interviews. They also said that both accepted and waitlisted students were invited to second look, and the committee meets on Wednesdays for admissions decisions...hope that helps! :)

I received a letter telling me about Rush's second look on Apr. 30th today. However, I havent received any info about my admissions status after the interview. Is there anyone out there that might have some info about that? I hate it because Im so anxious to know whether this may be good news or no news at all lol.

I'm in the same situation as you. I emailed them today and they got back to me saying that the second look invites were sent out accidently to "all applicants at vote with the Committee on Admissions last week" and that I should find out my decision by the end of the week. Soo nervous! I hope it's good news!

I'm in the same situation as you. I emailed them today and they got back to me saying that the second look invites were sent out accidently to "all applicants at vote with the Committee on Admissions last week" and that I should find out my decision by the end of the week. Soo nervous! I hope it's good news!

hmmm, I wonder if what they really meant is that they accidentally pre-maturely sent second look emails to the people who WILL be accepted this friday! Good luck to you guys, let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten decisions today? I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back. Since most of the correspondences have been sent out at Friday at 3 AM, I'm assuming this is another silent Friday for me. Best of luck to anyone actually getting news today.

:luck:

Has anyone gotten decisions today? I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back. Since most of the correspondences have been sent out at Friday at 3 AM, I'm assuming this is another silent Friday for me. Best of luck to anyone actually getting news today.

:luck:

good luck! i wouldnt worry about the timing, i got my acceptance email at like 7pm on a thursday.

i am so excited for second look . . . i actually had a dream about it the other night, and there were people from my interview there! haha . . .

This is utterly depressing. I just read through the last few pages and found out the last interview date has already passed. I'm usually a pretty laid-back person, but I have to admit, this one stings.

Obviously applications are much more than numbers, but I don't understand how a 32 MCAT/3.8+ GPA doesn't even get an interview. Are others with stronger stats in the same boat?

Sigh. Rush was one of my top 2 choices before the application season even began. I never thought I wouldn't even be invited to interview. The med school application process is one harsh reality check.

As a point of encouragement for those still waiting, I got great news on Friday afternoon! I'm now a part of Rush Medical College Class of 2014!

I'm stoked! Number one choice (by far!)...

For those looking for comparable info, I interviewed on 3/3, so hang in there.

Best of luck to those waiting to hear back. :luck:

congrats to all the acceptances!

I received an email from Jill regarding the Buddy Program. I signed up for it but so far heard nothing else about it. Anyone get paired with a student yet? Thanks!

I received an email from Jill regarding the Buddy Program. I signed up for it but so far heard nothing else about it. Anyone get paired with a student yet? Thanks!

I received that email too and signed up for it, but haven't been paired up yet.

Does anyone happen to know if Rush is officially done with interview season yet? Some earlier posted that they were told Mar 24 was the last interview day.
However, I have still not received an interview nor have I been rejected like a few people on this thread as well as couple of my friends who received a rejection email last Friday.
If anyone knows what is going on, I would really appreciate some feedback as I am completely lost here. Thanks

Hey kaalu. I think I remember someone posting that they were told their interview day was the last... but I looked quickly and couldn't find the post. It wouldn't hurt to just call the office, though and ask if there are any more interview invites going out. Good luck

This is utterly depressing. I just read through the last few pages and found out the last interview date has already passed. I'm usually a pretty laid-back person, but I have to admit, this one stings.

Obviously applications are much more than numbers, but I don't understand how a 32 MCAT/3.8+ GPA doesn't even get an interview. Are others with stronger stats in the same boat?

Sigh. Rush was one of my top 2 choices before the application season even began. I never thought I wouldn't even be invited to interview. The med school application process is one harsh reality check.

I feel for you, 4.0, 38 MCAT, no interview. It stung. What can you do?

I feel for you, 4.0, 38 MCAT, no interview. It stung. What can you do?

Vent on SDN, for one :D

4.0, 38, and no interview? That's rough man. Hopefully you have an acceptance somewhere else.

Congrats to those who got into Rush, though (or interviewed and are waiting to hear back). Phenomenal all-around school.

Just got the sad news this morning. Well, life goes on....
Congrats to those that are already accepted and good luck to those waiting.
Peace out

rejected too this morning after 6 months of silence, pretty happy about getting some closure from these dead silent schools. such detailed advice on reapplication though...lol, please...

rejected too this morning after 6 months of silence, pretty happy about getting some closure from these dead silent schools. such detailed advice on reapplication though...lol, please...
I know, thanks. "Since you didn't get an invite here, you'll probably be reapplying next year and need this pearl of advice."

:uhno:

Status
Not open for further replies.