2009-2010 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey applicants,

I am a first year student at Rush and having been in your shoes last year, I know the process can be hell. Let me know if you have any questions about Rush and I'll try my best to answer them.

Members don't see this ad.

hey kenny!
it would be great if you could tell us if it took this long to hear back post-interview last year too? its been 5 weeks for me and 6 weeks for medicalkid...does this mean we are rejected/waitlist?

Hey applicants,

I am a first year student at Rush and having been in your shoes last year, I know the process can be hell. Let me know if you have any questions about Rush and I'll try my best to answer them.

i want to know why you chose Rush, and what you like about it? is it really as awesome as it seemed on our interview day? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG OMG OMG....I GOT ACCEPTED.

medicalkid, I highly suggest you email them, Jill emailed me back with my acceptance. i'm literally shaking right now, i REALLY hope you get an acceptance letter soon, i know you want it so badly and i'm certain you'll get in.

thanks to everyone for the help and advice, time to go celebrate!

ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!! My first one!!! ahhhhhh I'm SOOOO EXCITED!!!

Interviewed 11/11 :-D

i am so excited for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

i don't know how i am going to endure this damn wait . . . so how long was it from interview to acceptance??!

congratulations!! :D

marylennox, i totally hope you get in too and hopefully you will esp. since you clicked so well w/ your interviewers.

and to all those waiting, good luck and don't lose hope. i have very, very average stats (if not lower than average), am not URM, and this is my first time applying. have total faith in yourself, it pays off!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I also got accepted! Interviewed on 11/11, just heard back yesterday! Definitely going there, but may defer a year!

ACCEPTED!! Heard back on Friday, interview 11/18

soo excited to go to RUSH :) Has anyone started a facebook group yet?

soo excited to go to RUSH :) Has anyone started a facebook group yet?

Not yet. I couldn't find one on facebook.

Also, does anyone know if the $100 tuition deposit to hold your spot is refundable or not?

Any advice on the interview? Do they really focus on your apps in the interview or are the interviewers really conversational? Do they ask some tough ethical questions? I'm super nervous... this will be my first interview! Ahhh!

anyone know if rush accepts pre-interview update letters?

I got into Rush a few weeks ago, 2 weeks after my interview. I was way too excited/ relieved to be into medical school (not a safety, one that I really wanted to attend) to even think about SDN.. my bad.

Any advice on the interview? Do they really focus on your apps in the interview or are the interviewers really conversational? Do they ask some tough ethical questions? I'm super nervous... this will be my first interview! Ahhh!

Rush was my first interview, and I was also super super super nervous beforehand. I am being entirely honest when I say that both of my interviews were very laid back. Most people I talked to on my interview day also had really pleasant interviews. There are no "set" questions that the interviewer has to ask, and the direction/intensity of the interview basically depends on the interviewer. To answer your questions though, they may ask you some questions about your application to jump start the conversation, but you know everything on there so it erally doesn't matter. And no, I had no questions on ethics, health care, etc. You're going to walk out of your first interview and find yourself wondering what you were so worried about in the first place... Good luck!

hey someone needs to start a "Rush Medical College Class of 2014" group on facebook!!!! can someone do it!?!?!

:) :)

you should do it!! :D

so the adcom at UIC just met again yesterday and i am still in limbo there, 2 months after my interview . . . i want so badly just to get into Rush, and then I can stop worrying about UIC at all.

oh, how i love Rush . . . the suspense is killing me! I would be so happy to go here. Rush, please accept me!!

Acceptance email this afternoon. :) Hard copy packet to come in a "few weeks"

11/25/09 Interview

31P In state

Congrats to those who have been accepted!
--> Are any of you OOS? If so, what are your stats? And when did you submit your secondaries?

Thanks!

Is Rush a silent rejection school? Still hoping for some Chi-town lovin'. :)

i want to know why you chose Rush, and what you like about it? is it really as awesome as it seemed on our interview day? :)

Obviously I'm biased, but I think Rush is awesome. Rush left me with a great first impression. A little background. I didn't interview until March and was virtually certain I would be interviewing for the waitlist. Jill assured all the interviewees that if you have an interview, there's a spot for you. This is how all schools should operate, but usually isn't the case.

Now that I'm a quarter into M1 (yes, Rush is on the quarter system) I can say that Rush really has your back. Sure, the classes are tough and you'll be studying your brains out, but the profs really want you to succeed.

One caveat, Rush is changing over to a systems-based curriculum next year, so your experience will likely be different than mine. However, don't be concerned that you'll be guinea pigs, it is my understanding that Rush tweaks the curriculum every year to reflect the input of the students. They really care what the students think.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong at Rush. Every med school is going to be difficult, but Rush makes an effort to help its med students at every stage of the process.

so I had a dream that I got my decision from Rush and it was a REJECTION . . . it was horrible!!!! :eek: i was so relieved when i woke up and realized it wasn't real. still though, the next couple weeks are going to be killer while I wait for my news . . .

i guess it's a double-edged sword, i am so glad that i interviewed somewhere i really loved- but it makes waiting and the possibility of rejection that much scarier. hopefully it will be closer to the four week mark than the six.

Is Rush a silent rejection school? Still hoping for some Chi-town lovin'. :)

I'm wondering the same thing-- I've been complete since the end of September and haven't heard anything!!! Does anyone know if they are planning on sending out more interview invites soon? (I am OOS, 4.0 GPA, 31R MCAT)

Just created a 'Rush Class of 2014' thread in the allopathic section!

hey i cant seem to find a phone number for them, just the email can anyone help me out ?

also do they accept pre interview updates ?

I sent them an email with my update letter and was replied with a generic message saying that they were receiving a large volume of emails and that they'll get back to me when possible. I also mailed a hardcopy to their office. However, every other school I sent an email to replied within a week.

Can we call for a status check or is the website the only place for status information?

It's good to hear we still have a chance with late spring interviews.

congrats to people accepted to rush. good luck to those still waiting. these plenty of time still so hold tight! i am also a first year at rush. so feel free to ask questions! like kenny, i am also having an awesome time at rush. i had a hard time deciding which school to go to. i ended up going with my gut decision and i'm glad i choose rush.

its been just over a month now since my interview . . . i knew it wouldn't be super fast due to the holiday, but now that it's over, I hope they make a decision soon!!! All I want for (belated) X-mas is a Rush acceptance :D

i finished my secondary. can anyone give me their unbiased opinion on coughing up the fee. money is very tight.. is it worth it at this point?

OOS (missouri)
cGPA 3.45 BCPM 3.8
31P
Pretty good LORs and extracurrics

i finished my secondary. can anyone give me their unbiased opinion on coughing up the fee. money is very tight.. is it worth it at this point?

OOS (missouri)
cGPA 3.45 BCPM 3.8
31P
I'd lean towards no. Mostly because you are OOS, not because of your stats. Even though Rush is private, they are very IS biased. Again, not to say it's impossible for OOSers, but they have historically been very favorable to IS.

:love:just got the good news this evening (preliminary email, snail mail to follow)!!:love:
interviewed dec. 9
in-state

so excited about this school! good luck, everyone! check your emails!

I'm sorry if this was already covered, but does anyone know if Rush gives any weight to "in the area" emails. I just got an interview at another chicago school and don't really want to have to potentially pay for two plane tickets.

:love:just got the good news this evening (preliminary email, snail mail to follow)!!:love:
interviewed dec. 9
in-state

so excited about this school! good luck, everyone! check your emails!

ME TOO! I GOT INTO RUSH!

I can't foresee NOT going so I will see you all in fall :D:love::D

ME TOO! I GOT INTO RUSH!

I can't foresee NOT going so I will see you all in fall :D:love::D

yay congrats!!!! i'm so happy for you! (i was totally rooting for you!)

I'd lean towards no. Mostly because you are OOS, not because of your stats. Even though Rush is private, they are very IS biased. Again, not to say it's impossible for OOSers, but they have historically been very favorable to IS.

OOS (missouri)
cGPA 3.45 BCPM 3.8
31P

For what it's worth I would be a reapplicant to Rush. Any more thoughts.
thanks

For what it's worth I would be a reapplicant to Rush. Any more thoughts.
thanks

it's a pretty long and thorough secondary. if you think you can convince them that you really want to go there, it's worth a shot.

do you have an mdapps? its hard to say without knowing more about you. but i've heard that Rush likes nontrad/older applicants/applicants with work experience, and also they like people who have had a lot of clinical experience. not that they exclude people who don't have these things, but i'm saying if you do that might be a big plus for your app. if you're a college senior with not much previous employment or clinical experience, i'm not so sure.

hey kenny!
it would be great if you could tell us if it took this long to hear back post-interview last year too? its been 5 weeks for me and 6 weeks for medicalkid...does this mean we are rejected/waitlist?

i think they started interviewing later this year. i think the decision time really varies. right now, they are probably overloaded so yes it will take longer. so just hold tight. don't assume anything. good luck

why i chose rush. cos my gut feeling was that rush was the best place for me. and it is. i really really like it here. it is as awesome as as your interview day :) trust me.

good things:
1. the faculty bend over backwards to help you. i'm telling you the truth. ridiculous help.
2. free tutoring! to help you pass ur classes. definitely take these if you come here, they are really helpful.
3. people are really cool here. students, faculty, doctors. we have a bar night with our professors after exams and stuff. people go out every weekend.
4. we have a really good hospital, midwest orthopedics, and another hospital opening
5. chicago is awesome
6. great shadowing opportunities. the docs let you follow them around.
7. the list goes on forever

bad things:
1. the technology
thats it :)
Not yet. I couldn't find one on facebook.

Also, does anyone know if the $100 tuition deposit to hold your spot is refundable or not?

it is deducted from your tuition first quarter

anyone know if rush accepts pre-interview update letters?

i don't know if they do, but it won't hurt you

I'm wondering the same thing-- I've been complete since the end of September and haven't heard anything!!! Does anyone know if they are planning on sending out more interview invites soon? (I am OOS, 4.0 GPA, 31R MCAT)

yes they interview until late march I THINK NOT 100% SURE

congrats to everyone with acceptances. feel free to ask more q's

has anyone received anything in the mail or through email post acceptance besides the deposit confirmation?? i'm just wondering when do we hear what the next steps are for matriculation from the rush folks?

yes they interview until late march I THINK NOT 100% SURE

congrats to everyone with acceptances. feel free to ask more q's

thanks for the info abmd, I'm hoping my inbox will start getting some action the next few weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.