2009-2010 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waffling, but I've narrowed it down to Boston or Bay. You?

Harvard or UCSF then? Nice choices. Well, Sinai of course. Still keeping Cornell, Penn, and Stanford in the running in case I get in off the waitlist. Then I'll have another decision to make.

For NYC though, I've pretty much determined that Sinai is probably the best fit for me...so I'm slightly less keen on Cornell now.

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard or UCSF then? Nice choices. Well, Sinai of course. Still keeping Cornell, Penn, and Stanford in the running in case I get in off the waitlist. Then I'll have another decision to make.

For NYC though, I've pretty much determined that Sinai is probably the best fit for me...so I'm slightly less keen on Cornell now.

Actually, prolly Harvard or Stanford b/c UCSF (while dreamy) would require too much more debt. Yeah, if I weren't so keen on getting out of NYC for a bit, Sinai would be it, no question. Good luck with any choosy, choosing, choices. :)

Actually, prolly Harvard or Stanford b/c UCSF (while dreamy) would require too much more debt. Yeah, if I weren't so keen on getting out of NYC for a bit, Sinai would be it, no question. Good luck with any choosy, choosing, choices. :)

Awesome, I'm interested in your thoughts on Stanford. I kind of got the sense that students didn't go out and have too much fun there, versus the Sinai kids who seemed way more social/wanted to have a life outside of medical school...but I also interviewed on a Wednesday so I didn't meet too many of the Stanford kids. The suburb vs. NYC thing is such a huge difference, I sometimes question whether or not I'd choose Sinai over Stanford.

On all other counts (non suburb vs. city), I loved it so much. Everyone there was just so friendly, the weather was beautiful, Stanford is like a resort, and (despite what many think) I thought the clinical training sounded excellent from the people I talked with. You can PM me if you want, I don't think the Sinai forum is perfect for this...although, I know I've talked to you about this before.

Good luck with your decision (it's one many of us are surely jealous of)

Members don't see this ad :)

UCSF would be more debt than Stanford? Interesting.

UCSF would be more debt than Stanford? Interesting.

Maybe pre-mad got the full university grant. It basically reduces tuition to about $15k/year. And, given Stanford's other programs (med scholars, $60/hour to be a TA), their students do have ridiculously low debt compared to other private schools. It's something like 80k. It is easier to provide so much financial support when you're part of a university with a 12 billion dollar endowment and only have 86 students in each class lol.

Maybe pre-mad got the full university grant. It basically reduces tuition to about $15k/year. And, given Stanford's other programs (med scholars, $60/hour to be a TA), their students do have ridiculously low debt compared to other private schools. It's something like 80k. It is easier to provide so much financial support when you're part of a university with a 12 billion dollar endowment and only have 86 students in each class lol.

How expensive is UCSF then? Has it fully reached private school tuition?

UCSF is 28K but an additional 12K for out of state (if its your first year), so yeah, its getting up there in cost. I was surprised, they gave me a little bit of $ so I would assume most people got a lot.

UCSF is 28K but an additional 12K for out of state (if its your first year), so yeah, its getting up there in cost. I was surprised, they gave me a little bit of $ so I would assume most people got a lot.

Wow it's gotten expensive.

Wow it's gotten expensive.

Yeah, it's pretty pricey, and they gave me very little money. Not shocking, but I just can't really justify all the extra debt...and I wonder if there will be another major tuition hike in the next 4 years. Stanford gave me a pretty good grant, then called back to say they could make it full tuition. I had a heart attack from joy. Seriously, I feel very lucky.

To make this about Sinai...The students did seem a bit more chill than Stanford, and more engaged in the kinds of activites that I really value (service stuff, global health things). Stanford students did seem happy, like cruise passengers. My tour guide was like, 'Some people call this the 'country club' of med schools...I don't understand why..." as we had just exited the hospital onto the front GIANT FOUNTAIN with ducks and could see the rows of golf carts that are used to get around campus.

But yeah, seems like Sinai folks and Sinai in general are a bit ore my style. I don't really like the 'burbs, I do not love to drive, I love having so many options to go out and explore. But, if the cruise is paid for...all aboard?

Call Harvard and tell them to get their act together and give you a full ride already.

Call Harvard and tell them to get their act together and give you a full ride already.

Haha, well they gave me the best possible deal, b/c my fam does not have the dough. 24,500 in sub loans, other money up to CoA in free money. I just think I'm allergic to Harvard. Like, I've never gone there and I've never gotten a bee sting, and I am irrationally afraid that either will send me into some sort of anaphylaxis. And, the cruise...boat drinks...sunshine.

Haha, well they gave me the best possible deal, b/c my fam does not have the dough. 24,500 in sub loans, other money up to CoA in free money. I just think I'm allergic to Harvard. Like, I've never gone there and I've never gotten a bee sting, and I am irrationally afraid that either will send me into some sort of anaphylaxis. And, the cruise...boat drinks...sunshine.

Haha, well good luck at Stanford.

Soooo i just found out that mount sinai gave me a full ride! Which is a an amazing and surprising gift. However before I got the award I wasn't really seriously considering this school. My interview day wasn't overly impressive and I did not attend the second look. I've heard wonderful things about the school and love how committed the institution is to community service.

I've been reading all about the school online but am wondering if current students could tell their thoughts on the school? People that are for sure going why Mount Sinai? I'm from Cali and ultimately would like to go back their for residency. Is their match list posted on here somewhere? I can't find it anywhere....And finally I really really DO NOT want to live in student housing...Are there any current students that have other living accomodations? How expensive is it really to live on the upper east side? I've been checking out craigslist but want the inside scoop from students.

Any info would be great!

Oh I'm deciding between Mount Sinai, Penn, and UCSF at this point

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm deciding btw Mount Sinai and UCSF too, but basically am sure that I'll be going to Sinai though I expect my aid package to be a big old zero ... :(

I'll let JBZ answer questions from student's point of view, but UES housing can be really cheap which people don't seem to realize. Park ave is expensive and people associate the UES with that, but if you go East (say 2nd/1st ave), UES is some of the cheapest housing in Manhattan (if you go way north, it gets cheaper again). Realistically though, if you want to live alone, any apartment will be expensive, so expect for a single to pay at least double Sinai's rent, most likely near triple. If you want to split w/ another person, your rent could be closer to around $1k/month. If you want to pay a bit more, there are nice new buildings that have gyms/doormen/etc for probably about 1400 (again, living in 2 room splitting)...

GOODLUCK!

btw, does anyone know when deposits are due?? I know we didn't need $ to reserve a seat, but a real deposit?

Soooo i just found out that mount sinai gave me a full ride! Which is a an amazing and surprising gift. However before I got the award I wasn't really seriously considering this school. My interview day wasn't overly impressive and I did not attend the second look. I've heard wonderful things about the school and love how committed the institution is to community service.

I've been reading all about the school online but am wondering if current students could tell their thoughts on the school? People that are for sure going why Mount Sinai? I'm from Cali and ultimately would like to go back their for residency. Is their match list posted on here somewhere? I can't find it anywhere....And finally I really really DO NOT want to live in student housing...Are there any current students that have other living accomodations? How expensive is it really to live on the upper east side? I've been checking out craigslist but want the inside scoop from students.

Any info would be great!

If you really want to practice on the West Coast eventually then I would suggest you go with UCSF. Tuition is already cheap there so you won't be losing too much from the full-tuition scholarship.

Any info would be great!

Congrats on the award. I'll re-post the match list.

In terms of housing, are you single or in a relationship? If you're married, you can apply for couples housing. Finding an affordable apartment in the UES just for yourself will be tricky. Apartments are easily 1500-2000+ per month. I lived in Aron Hall so I'm not the best person to ask for living off campus. Many of my classmates lived off-campus (and many throughout NYC) so it's definitely possible.

Feel free to PM me or post here any specific questions you may have.

Attachments

• Mount Sinai 2010.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 774
If you really want to practice on the West Coast eventually then I would suggest you go with UCSF. Tuition is already cheap there so you won't be losing too much from the full-tuition scholarship.

I would agree with this. If you are certain that you want to go back to Cali, UCSF seems like your best bet even in spite of the money. I know everyone on SDN says go with the money, but I think happiness is more important than money.

Last edited:

Not according to the above posts about UCSF tuition. The match list for sinai is in this thread, and they had plenty of cali matches so I don't think you would be at a disadvantage coming from Sinai. Full ride? YTMND.

Any info would be great!

Well congrats on the awesome scholarship! Is there anyway you could possibly lay this out school by school so we can assess the cost differences. How much will your COA (minus the scholarships) at each school end up being. If it's something significant....like avoiding 100k in loans, I'd personally go Mount Sinai. If it's something more manageable...I think UCSF is your best option if you want a west coast residency.

I know a lot about Penn and Sinai (you're waitlisted at Stanford too as well, aren't you?). So feel free to PM me with any questions about the schools.

Hey, I read that people mainly suggest to follow the money to a certain extent. I'm stuck between Umass and Sinai (which would cost 10-15k more per year). I'm wondering if this extra cost is worth it (how much does ranking actually reflect the quality of school/students/future careers)?
Will I have different opportunities based on these schools?
I'm not too keen on Worcester, but if I were to want to return to MA after school, would med school seriously affect getting into places?
Any thoughts/ideas would be awesome.

Hey, I read that people mainly suggest to follow the money to a certain extent. I'm stuck between Umass and Sinai (which would cost 10-15k more per year). I'm wondering if this extra cost is worth it (how much does ranking actually reflect the quality of school/students/future careers)?
I'm not too keen on Worcester, but if I were to want to return to MA after school, would med school seriously affect getting into places?

10-15k a year ends up being 40-60k extra. To me, it's worth it to go to Sinai in spite of this. Ranking, if you mean US News, does not completely reflect quality, but there is some correlation between rank and prestige. You will have no problem returning to MA if you go to Sinai. Sinai does fantastically well in the northeast, much better than UMass typically does.

I think the 40-50k extra might not be enough to sway me to go to UMass. NYC is obviously a more fun place to live than Worcester, but maybe you like that quieter atmosphere? There are certainly opportunities at a place like Sinai that you won't find at a less research focused state school (and also one that doesn't benefit from Sinai's diverse patient population), it made it pretty apparent on interview day. I ended up getting a small scholarship to Jeff, less than the price difference you talked about....but second look made me seriously realize the vast difference in opportunities that attending at Top 20 school affords compared to some other institutions. The faculty members seemed well connected (they all went to school, trained at prestigious residency/medical school programs), there was great research in the basic sciences, clinical, and some cool global health opportunities.

I know less about UMass, but I can't imagine it's the same environment/opportunities as Sinai.

Yeah, it's pretty pricey, and they gave me very little money. Not shocking, but I just can't really justify all the extra debt...and I wonder if there will be another major tuition hike in the next 4 years. Stanford gave me a pretty good grant, then called back to say they could make it full tuition. I had a heart attack from joy. Seriously, I feel very lucky.

To make this about Sinai...The students did seem a bit more chill than Stanford, and more engaged in the kinds of activites that I really value (service stuff, global health things). Stanford students did seem happy, like cruise passengers. My tour guide was like, 'Some people call this the 'country club' of med schools...I don't understand why..." as we had just exited the hospital onto the front GIANT FOUNTAIN with ducks and could see the rows of golf carts that are used to get around campus.

But yeah, seems like Sinai folks and Sinai in general are a bit ore my style. I don't really like the 'burbs, I do not love to drive, I love having so many options to go out and explore. But, if the cruise is paid for...all aboard?

Hey! I'm wondering who you talked to at stanford about the full grant? They gave me one but I'm wondering if they'd go up considering awards from other schools?

Sorry i know this is not sinai specific...maybe PM me if you could? Or i should PM you?

I never received a rejection from Sinai (i was complete back in early sept and never heard back since then)..anyone else not hear anything since submitting the secondary?? its obviously too late now but i wonder if they lost my application lol...just curious if stuff like that actually happens...congrats to everyone accepted!

Well congrats on the awesome scholarship! Is there anyway you could possibly lay this out school by school so we can assess the cost differences. How much will your COA (minus the scholarships) at each school end up being. If it's something significant....like avoiding 100k in loans, I'd personally go Mount Sinai. If it's something more manageable...I think UCSF is your best option if you want a west coast residency.

I know a lot about Penn and Sinai (you're waitlisted at Stanford too as well, aren't you?). So feel free to PM me with any questions about the schools.

Thanks for the congrats! So here's the break down:

Penn 45k in loans
UCSF 46k in loans
Sinai 15-20k a year in loans
- all include housing and living expenses

So i guess I'd save any where from 88-120k a year? Which is a lot of money....and money is big issue but it is not THE issue...I want to like the school and the people I'd be learning with hence my questions about peoples' personal thoughts/feelings on Sinai! Is the fact that I'm even considering turning down this scholarship to sinai ricidulous? My friends think I'm absolutely crazy....

I really like NYC, Philly, and San Fran. I currently live in Philly, I have some good friends in NY, but my family and close friends are in california...Stanford is not really in the running because I want to be in an urban area but if they gave me a larger scholarship I might also reconsider going there....

Thanks for the congrats! So here's the break down:

Penn 45k in loans
UCSF 46k in loans
Sinai 15-20k a year in loans
- all include housing and living expenses

So i guess I'd save any where from 88-120k a year? Which is a lot of money....and money is big issue but it is not THE issue...I want to like the school and the people I'd be learning with hence my questions about peoples' personal thoughts/feelings on Sinai! Is the fact that I'm even considering turning down this scholarship to sinai ricidulous? My friends think I'm absolutely crazy....

I really like NYC, Philly, and San Fran. I currently live in Philly, I have some good friends in NY, but my family and close friends are in california...Stanford is not really in the running because I want to be in an urban area but if they gave me a larger scholarship I might also reconsider going there....

If you like the social atmosphere at Penn, you'll like Sinai. It's very similar save the dorm life...people seem very active outside of school and you get the sense that most have lives.

I live in Philly now and am sort of weary of returning to dorm life, but the apartments at Sinai are actually pretty nice. You'd be really hard-pressed to find something as decent on the UES (or really, any part of Manhattan and many of the boroughs) for so cheap. They're certainly not like what you can get in Philly though...ah, it's so cheap here....I love it.

I'm probably going to Sinai and I'm planning on living there for M1 and M2, but keeping the possibility open to move off campus once clinical rotations start and I'll want a quieter, more private space to retreat to.

In how much detail did they go over the 3rd and 4th years to you all during your interviews/revisits? Was it really only briefly mentioned? I'm sure they went over some of the other affiliated hospitals (Elmhurst, Bronx VA), but did they talk about schedules, flexibility in schedules, elective time, etc? I have received some PMs about these things, so I wouldn't mind typing out these things on this thread, but I just want to make sure it's worth the effort before doing so :)

Also, happy mother's day to you mothers out there.

Last edited:
Does anyone where I can find a schedule of classes for the first year? This past year's schedule would be fine. I found more general info about which classes are taken when over the year, but I'm look more for the day-to-day stuff.

Does anyone where I can find a schedule of classes for the first year? This past year's schedule would be fine. I found more general info about which classes are taken when over the year, but I'm look more for the day-to-day stuff.

I can't seem to find it either. Guess you will have to wait for a current first year to post theirs. I can post the first couple of weeks of mine from 4 years ago, but it will definitely be outdated

I never received a rejection from Sinai (i was complete back in early sept and never heard back since then)..anyone else not hear anything since submitting the secondary?? its obviously too late now but i wonder if they lost my application lol...just curious if stuff like that actually happens...congrats to everyone accepted!

I'm in the exact same situation and was wondering the same thing!

I can't seem to find it either. Guess you will have to wait for a current first year to post theirs. I can post the first couple of weeks of mine from 4 years ago, but it will definitely be outdated

i think first year schedules from this past fall are here: http://students.mssm.edu/matriculating/md/schedules.shtml

i'm not entirely sure because it says Graduate Schedules for Biological Sciences but it looks like a first year med student's schedule...

i think first year schedules from this past fall are here: http://students.mssm.edu/matriculating/md/schedules.shtml

i'm not entirely sure because it says Graduate Schedules for Biological Sciences but it looks like a first year med student's schedule...

I think that's for grad students. The "core" classes are for Masters/PhD students.

Edit: I take that back, it looks like a maybe an MD/PhD schedule.

In how much detail did they go over the 3rd and 4th years to you all during your interviews/revisits? Was it really only briefly mentioned? I'm sure they went over some of the other affiliated hospitals (Elmhurst, Bronx VA), but did they talk about schedules, flexibility in schedules, elective time, etc? I have received some PMs about these things, so I wouldn't mind typing out these things on this thread, but I just want to make sure it's worth the effort before doing so :)

Also, happy mother's day to you mothers out there.

They mentioned the rotation sites and talked about flexibility, but I'm still not certain about which rotations are core rotations, how long different rotations are, and where electives fit into all of this. If you scheduled everything perfectly what would be the earliest time you could do an elective? Is scheduling determined by lotto?

Also, on the issue of MS3/4 grading...it seems like a large majority of the grading comes from resident evaluations. Obviously this will depend somewhat on the resident, but on average are these evaluations pretty strict or do most people do fairly well on them? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out how important shelf exams are at Sinai for getting Honors/High Pass. In other words, for most people is it the shelf exams or the resident evaluations that make them "end up" in Honors/High Pass/Pass? I'm assuming virtually nobody fails.

Thanks and likewise Happy Mother's Day :D

They mentioned the rotation sites and talked about flexibility, but I'm still not certain about which rotations are core rotations, how long different rotations are, and where electives fit into all of this. If you scheduled everything perfectly what would be the earliest time you could do an elective? Is scheduling determined by lotto?

Also, on the issue of MS3/4 grading...it seems like a large majority of the grading comes from resident evaluations. Obviously this will depend somewhat on the resident, but on average are these evaluations pretty strict or do most people do fairly well on them? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out how important shelf exams are at Sinai for getting Honors/High Pass. In other words, for most people is it the shelf exams or the resident evaluations that make them "end up" in Honors/High Pass/Pass? I'm assuming virtually nobody fails.

Grading first - yes a large part of the grade is determined by evals from attendings/residents. Most (emphasis on most) residents and attendings are not strict about evaluations. However, every student has stories about how they did not mesh well with a certain resident or attending which in the end can impact their grade. Sadly, this is a problem with 3rd year in general at pretty much every school (except for the ones with no grades, which are becoming less and less). The shelf tries and adds more objectivity to the grading system, but shelf tests do not always test the most relevant information. For classmates of mine who did not honor a given rotation, I would say half of them attribute it to an evaluation and the other half attribute it to the shelf. It's very specific to that rotation and to the residents or attendings who are grading you. Ultimately, the students who are able to manage their time most efficiently to study for the shelf and the students who are able to be the best team players will be the ones who receive honors. I don't know if this completely addresses your concerns. By the way, this is for 3rd year grading. 4th year grades do not really count (many are just pass fail and for the ones that are not, most people get honors).

Schedules -
Required rotations during third year:
- Surgery (total 8 weeks) - you spend 3 weeks at Mount Sinai doing either colorectal, general, laparoscopic, vascular, or surg onc. You also spend 3 weeks at Elmhurst doing general surgery. The Elmhurst weeks are good for the bread and butter cases and also for trauma cases which you don't get at Mount Sinai. The last two weeks are surgery electives in plastics, ortho, breast, ENT, and many other choices.

- Medicine (total 8 weeks inpatient and 4 weeks outpatient) - you spend 4 weeks at Mount Sinai. There are three services - Berson, which is general medicine, geri, and nephrology; Popper, which is GI and cardiology patients; and Wasserman, which is oncology and HIV patients. You also spend 4 weeks at an affiliate hospital doing general medicine. The 4 weeks of outpatient are broken down as: 1 week palliative care, 1 week Visiting Doctors, and 2 weeks Geri clinic. Palliative care is an important experience for medical students. It gives you a perspective about how to deal with terminally ill patients and how to manage patients with chronic pain. The Visiting Docs program is a unique experience that many other schools don't have. You are teamed up with an attending and you go see patients in their homes. Your first patient might be in a huge 2 million dollar apartment on the east side, and then your next patient can be in a small run down apartment in Harlem. While you generally only deal with simple, general medical problems, it's an interesting experience to diagnose and treat patients with such limited resources at their homes.

- Peds and obgyn are 6 weeks each. They can be done at Mount Sinai or affiliate sites.

- Psych, neuro, and family medicine are 4 weeks each. If you need more elective time during 3rd year, these can be pushed back to 4th year.

- Elective time during 3rd year (1 week anesthesia + 3 weeks elective or 4 weeks elective and do anesthesia during 4th year) - you can do any electives you want or even take a month vacation if you want to. Mount Sinai has a 21 week total elective credit requirements during the 3rd and 4th years, and you are free to space them out any way you want during the two years.

I know 4th year is very far away, but it's important to go to a school that provides a lot of flexibility during 4th year. You want to be able to experience any clinical rotations you want, do away rotations, do as little or as much research you want, have plenty of time to study for step 2 if you need to, and have as much time for interviews. The bare minimum requirements during 4th year at Sinai are 4 weeks of sub I, 4 weeks of ER, 2 weeks of critical care, and 2 weeks of intro to internship. This allows you to pretty much design a 4th year tailored to your needs. Some schools are so strict with 4th year that you have to worry about failing rotations when going on interviews or competing with classmates to do certain rotations at certain times. There's almost none of that at Sinai.

Grading first - yes a large part of the grade is determined by evals from attendings/residents. Most (emphasis on most) residents and attendings are not strict about evaluations. However, every student has stories about how they did not mesh well with a certain resident or attending which in the end can impact their grade. Sadly, this is a problem with 3rd year in general at pretty much every school (except for the ones with no grades, which are becoming less and less). The shelf tries and adds more objectivity to the grading system, but shelf tests do not always test the most relevant information. For classmates of mine who did not honor a given rotation, I would say half of them attribute it to an evaluation and the other half attribute it to the shelf. It's very specific to that rotation and to the residents or attendings who are grading you. Ultimately, the students who are able to manage their time most efficiently to study for the shelf and the students who are able to be the best team players will be the ones who receive honors. I don't know if this completely addresses your concerns. By the way, this is for 3rd year grading. 4th year grades do not really count (many are just pass fail and for the ones that are not, most people get honors).

Schedules -
Required rotations during third year:
- Surgery (total 8 weeks) - you spend 3 weeks at Mount Sinai doing either colorectal, general, laparoscopic, vascular, or surg onc. You also spend 3 weeks at Elmhurst doing general surgery. The Elmhurst weeks are good for the bread and butter cases and also for trauma cases which you don't get at Mount Sinai. The last two weeks are surgery electives in plastics, ortho, breast, ENT, and many other choices.

- Medicine (total 8 weeks inpatient and 4 weeks outpatient) - you spend 4 weeks at Mount Sinai. There are three services - Berson, which is general medicine, geri, and nephrology; Popper, which is GI and cardiology patients; and Wasserman, which is oncology and HIV patients. You also spend 4 weeks at an affiliate hospital doing general medicine. The 4 weeks of outpatient are broken down as: 1 week palliative care, 1 week Visiting Doctors, and 2 weeks Geri clinic. Palliative care is an important experience for medical students. It gives you a perspective about how to deal with terminally ill patients and how to manage patients with chronic pain. The Visiting Docs program is a unique experience that many other schools don't have. You are teamed up with an attending and you go see patients in their homes. Your first patient might be in a huge 2 million dollar apartment on the east side, and then your next patient can be in a small run down apartment in Harlem. While you generally only deal with simple, general medical problems, it's an interesting experience to diagnose and treat patients with such limited resources at their homes.

- Peds and obgyn are 6 weeks each. They can be done at Mount Sinai or affiliate sites.

- Psych, neuro, and family medicine are 4 weeks each. If you need more elective time during 3rd year, these can be pushed back to 4th year.

- Elective time during 3rd year (1 week anesthesia + 3 weeks elective or 4 weeks elective and do anesthesia during 4th year) - you can do any electives you want or even take a month vacation if you want to. Mount Sinai has a 21 week total elective credit requirements during the 3rd and 4th years, and you are free to space them out any way you want during the two years.

I know 4th year is very far away, but it's important to go to a school that provides a lot of flexibility during 4th year. You want to be able to experience any clinical rotations you want, do away rotations, do as little or as much research you want, have plenty of time to study for step 2 if you need to, and have as much time for interviews. The bare minimum requirements during 4th year at Sinai are 4 weeks of sub I, 4 weeks of ER, 2 weeks of critical care, and 2 weeks of intro to internship. This allows you to pretty much design a 4th year tailored to your needs. Some schools are so strict with 4th year that you have to worry about failing rotations when going on interviews or competing with classmates to do certain rotations at certain times. There's almost none of that at Sinai.

Thanks...excellent synopsis, I will definitely be saving this to my hard drive :D

anyone have CoA info for years 2-4?

Thanks...excellent synopsis, I will definitely be saving this to my hard drive :D

Wow just reading that made realize how quick medical school/clerkships really are when you think about it.

ah. well, for second year this year our like entire budget (with cost of living, health insurance, etc) was like $56,500.

Seems in line with mine.

Hey mdeast, you said your first year is 62k. Did they give a break down of it?

Hey jbz24! Do you know anyone who did a Dorris Duke fellowship?

I know Sinai is one of a select few med schools that participates in the Dorris Duke program (http://www.ddcf.org/Medical-Researc...l-Students/CRF-Participating-Medical-Schools/). It's very cool that Sinai participates in this and I'm wondering how something like this helps a residency application. Do you know much about it? Thanks!

Yes, I know several Sinai students who have received a Doris Duke fellowship, and they generally fare pretty well in the match. It's really selective so usually only the top students get it. Hence, it's not clear if being a Doris Duke fellow is helping their application or if they were already strong applicants to begin with. But yeah, having a whole year of research is always a plus!

You can visit here for more info about the program: http://www.mssm.edu/education/medic...ris-duke-clinical-research-fellowship-program
(you can click on the links on the sidebar for a list of mentors, etc.)

Hey jbz24! Do you know anyone who did a Dorris Duke fellowship?

I know Sinai is one of a select few med schools that participates in the Dorris Duke program (http://www.ddcf.org/Medical-Researc...l-Students/CRF-Participating-Medical-Schools/). It's very cool that Sinai participates in this and I'm wondering how something like this helps a residency application. Do you know much about it? Thanks!

Hey tralu,

I did not take a year off so I'm less familiar with these types of opportunities, but I know for certain some of my classmates did a Dorris Duke fellowship. I'm not sure how many, but at least a handful. It's hard to gauge how much it helps when applying for residency. Taking a year off to do research definitely helps (at least in most specialties) and a program like this definitely helps above and beyond that in certain fields. I spoke to a program director at a competitive program in IM, and he holds in high esteem these year off opportunities (Dorris Duke, Howard Hughes, etc.).

The new Sinai site is causing link problems galore, so here's a relevant link for you. http://www.mssm.edu/education/medic...ris-duke-clinical-research-fellowship-program

Yes, I know several Sinai students who have received a Doris Duke fellowship, and they generally fare pretty well in the match. It's really selective so usually only the top students get it. Hence, it's not clear if being a Doris Duke fellow is helping their application or if they were already strong applicants to begin with. But yeah, having a whole year of research is always a plus!

You can visit here for more info about the program: http://www.mssm.edu/education/medic...ris-duke-clinical-research-fellowship-program

Beat me to the punch my class of 2010 friend... :)

That link helps. I guess even if it's not possible to get accepted into Dorris Duke, there is still other stuff like that "distinction in research" program. Thanks for posting

That link helps. I guess even if it's not possible to get accepted into Dorris Duke, there is still other stuff like that "distinction in research" program. Thanks for posting

I would definitely do the distinction in research program. Not so much that the program itself matters, but starting your own project, going through the IRB hurdles, and getting published are all important skills if you decide to stay in academia and looks very good for residency resume.

I would definitely do the distinction in research program. Not so much that the program itself matters, but starting your own project, going through the IRB hurdles, and getting published are all important skills if you decide to stay in academia and looks very good for residency resume.

What if you are published, but your research not in the field of medicine that you decide to go into? Is it still considered just as important?

What if you are published, but your research not in the field of medicine that you decide to go into? Is it still considered just as important?

It still looks good. The program directors I've spoken to only care if you were published, not in what field. This is because they want to see if you're able to complete a study to completion and have at least some basic skills in research. Of course this might not be true for every program or specialty. I would still say a publication in the field you ultimately end up in is the most desirable and safest approach but not always possible since med students never really know what field they'll end up in until the end of 3rd year. The best recommendation I can give is start your research in a field you are most interested in or think you will end up in.

Hey so how do we withdraw from Sinai? just send an email?

Status
Not open for further replies.