2009-2010 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey so how do we withdraw from Sinai? just send an email?

Yeah just send an email. Where are you heading?

Members don't see this ad.

As much as it pains me, I just withdrew from Sinai. Good luck to those on the wait list!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Landrigan is one of the smartest and most caring doctors that I had the pleasure of working with.

On another note, graduation was today. We are now officially MDs :laugh:

CONGRATS to the CLASS OF 2010 who graduated today at LINCOLN CENTER

featuring honorary keynote speaker
PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON!!!

Other luminaries receiving honorary degrees included:
Jim Yong Kim (first Asian-American President of an Ivy League college)
J. Craig Venter (responsible for mapping the first human genome in 2000)
Shinya Yamanaka (pioneer in stem cell research)

Last edited:
CONGRATS to the CLASS OF 2010 who graduated today at LINCOLN CENTER

featuring honorary keynote speaker
PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON!!!

Other luminaries receiving honorary degrees included:
Jim Yong Kim (first Asian-American President of an Ivy League college)
J. Craig Venter (responsible for mapping the first human genome in 2000)
Shinya Yamanaka (pioneer in stem cell research)

Yamanaka! That's bada**. He's like a stem cell celebrity.

Dr. Landrigan is one of the smartest and most caring doctors that I had the pleasure of working with.

On another note, graduation was today. We are now officially MDs :laugh:

Congratulations. Where are you headed next?

Congrats to you guys! To any Sinai Student, question about Aaron Hall...I only just found the housing forms (did we get an email about them??) but when I was reading it I saw that you have a guest that is staying for 2 consecutive nights you need written permission from all your roommates?? Also that there is a limit of times per term that a guest can stay with you? How strict are these rules and do people often run into problems? Also, are the dorms open during the holidays?? I am trying to figure out if this is the best option for me or not...

Congrats to you guys! To any Sinai Student, question about Aaron Hall...I only just found the housing forms (did we get an email about them??) but when I was reading it I saw that you have a guest that is staying for 2 consecutive nights you need written permission from all your roommates?? Also that there is a limit of times per term that a guest can stay with you? How strict are these rules and do people often run into problems? Also, are the dorms open during the holidays?? I am trying to figure out if this is the best option for me or not...

That is Aron Hall's "official" guest policy, but they are not very strict with the forms. In reality, your friends can come and stay as long as they want without filling out any forms and there is no limit to the number of times per term as long as your roommates are chill with it which they usually are. Sometimes, the doorman may make your visitors sign a book when they enter the lobby, but it's kind of funny b/c they never check the ID to confirm the person's identity or make the person sign out when they leave Aron Hall, so this is really just a formality. If there is a sketchy person entering Aron Hall, then the security guard will question them for your own safety but if your non-sketch friends visit they will not give them any problem. At most, they may make you come down to the lobby to sign them in. Also, the apartments are totally open during the holidays and summer. This means you don't have move your stuff out of your apartment every year like some of us had to do in college...good times! If you do happen to go somewhere else (for summer vacation, away electives, etc.) for an extended period of time, you can sublet out your apt officially or unofficially to anyone affiliated with Sinai (e.g., visiting students doing away electives at Sinai), and it is usually very easy to do so because everyone under the sun seems to want our cheap subsidized apartments. Bottom line: It is the best option for you :laugh:

Last edited:

No need to ever get forms signed, but if you do anticipate having someone stay over for an extended time (greater than a week), it would be best to ask the people in your suite if they are cool with it. Some people get upset if someone who is not technically a tenant is there for a long time without contributing. Just proper apartment-etiquette.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soooo I just withdrew from everywhere else and am going here! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Besides withdrawing from all other schools, is there anything we need to do to confirm our spot at Sinai? I don't remember hearing about a tuition deposit...and the drug test, etc. aren't due til before matriculation, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything...

And yay Sinai 2014!

No one follows this. ever. it is a good idea to get your roommates permission, but more out of courtesy. I've never seen/heard of having anyone fill out those forms, and my (ex) fiance used to stay over alllll the time. And yes, the dorms are open during holidays.

Besides withdrawing from all other schools, is there anything we need to do to confirm our spot at Sinai? I don't remember hearing about a tuition deposit...and the drug test, etc. aren't due til before matriculation, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything...

And yay Sinai 2014!

As long as there was no deposit, you should be good.

And yay Sinai 2014!

Haha, I totally forgot about that drug test thing-y. And we have to send our transcript too, right? I guess I have until August to do that, lol.

I did it. Withdrew from everywhere except Sinai. Feels really good to make that decision

Hello, I plan to apply to for Fall 2011. I just want to know everyone's experience applying there.

Did you get in?
What were your grades?
How was the interview?

I would love to hear some feedback, Thanks!

Hello, I plan to apply to for Fall 2011. I just want to know everyone's experience applying there.

Did you get in?
What were your grades?
How was the interview?

I would love to hear some feedback, Thanks!

if you do want to get an early start on interview prep (i highly discourage that, but it's your call) look under the interview feedback tab that sdn has collected. you'll realize that asking for grades doesn't give you a whole lot of information. i feel like sinai, especially, cares much more about the whole applicant, rather than just their numbers

good luck!

phoenixsuns, why do you discourage early start on interview prep?

And where do I find the interview tab?

Thanks. :)

Anyone know approximately (or exactly) when they will release the first set of spots off the waitlist. Starting to get anxious..

From last year- it looks like the first set was released May 19... but that wouldn't give the committee a chance to meet after May 15 if they only meet on Wednesdays. So- have they already decided who they are going to take off and they are just waiting a few days to actually send out the email?

Anyone know approximately (or exactly) when they will release the first set of spots off the waitlist. Starting to get anxious..

From last year- it looks like the first set was released May 19... but that wouldn't give the committee a chance to meet after May 15 if they only meet on Wednesdays. So- have they already decided who they are going to take off and they are just waiting a few days to actually send out the email?

I think Sinai is typically slower. Early June is when most of the waitlist movement happens. I think they do this to avoid the immense shuffle that occurs this first two weeks, when many students are switching spots based upon waitlist movement.

I think Sinai is typically slower. Early June is when most of the waitlist movement happens. I think they do this to avoid the immense shuffle that occurs this first two weeks, when many students are switching spots based upon waitlist movement.

Makes sense. Was last year's early notification just an anomaly then?

Makes sense. Was last year's early notification just an anomaly then?

Hmmmm.....my bad. Yeah, it looks like people found out in two waves. One a bit after May 15th...these students were given 2 weeks to decide. And then another group the second week of June. And that was it.

Good luck! I think normally 40 students/class come in off the waitlist (this is a big chunk, about 1/3....so watch your email inbox).

Good luck to all of you waiting! Tomorrow might be a big day.

Hmmmm.....my bad. Yeah, it looks like people found out in two waves. One a bit after May 15th...these students were given 2 weeks to decide. And then another group the second week of June. And that was it.

Good luck! I think normally 40 students/class come in off the waitlist (this is a big chunk, about 1/3....so watch your email inbox).

Thanks!

Anybody whos waitlisted here back yet?

Just out of curiosity....when do we move in/can move in as MS1s? I was thinking it might be nice to move in a week early and just hang out in NYC for a bit.

Just out of curiosity....when do we move in/can move in as MS1s? I was thinking it might be nice to move in a week early and just hang out in NYC for a bit.

Did you submit your housing info or does that come later in the summer? I remember reading something about July, but not sure if we had to do anything beforehand? :)

I don't think they've sent anything with housing yet though some forms are online (not sure if old or what).

also, i thought it was in this thread but I cannot find it, who do we email about financial aid? I know Lillian originally gave the package, but is she the person we directly speak with?

I don't think they've sent anything with housing yet though some forms are online (not sure if old or what).

also, i thought it was in this thread but I cannot find it, who do we email about financial aid? I know Lillian originally gave the package, but is she the person we directly speak with?

Dale Fuller ( [email protected] )

Thanks!

Anybody whos waitlisted here back yet?

I just called and the lady told me that there has been some movement of the waitlist but obviously I wasn't chosen. :( in addition it seems the # of ppl getting off the list this year would be smaller.

I am sad, but good luck to you!

I just called and the lady told me that there has been some movement of the waitlist but obviously I wasn't chosen. :( in addition it seems the # of ppl getting off the list this year would be smaller.

Wait, so did she say there wasn't going to be any more waitlist movement? Or did she give you info on your app in particular?

Wait, so did she say there wasn't going to be any more waitlist movement? Or did she give you info on your app in particular?

Hi meds8765,

She said:"Keep calling us in a couple of weeks' time and check again during the check-hours, they will have meetings again and offers will be sent out"... No, it was not file-specific as she declined to pull out my file and was not interested in hearing my aamc no.

The conclusion is that there should be further movements, that's why i said good luck. =)

thanks for checking up. I called in also and they told me the same thing. "very little movement so far. there will be some movement in the upcoming weeks."

I think you are right.. the # of ppl getting off the WL does seems small this year. good luck to everyone waiting!

i got in off the waitlist yesterday (via email). i also was accepted into the Portal Program. I'll likely be withdrawing within the next few days though - so there is def a spot out there (especially if you fit my demographics - white male).

best of luck

i got in off the waitlist yesterday (via email). i also was accepted into the Portal Program. I'll likely be withdrawing within the next few days though - so there is def a spot out there (especially if you fit my demographics - white male).

best of luck

Ahuh, I definitely don't fit the demographics...:rolleyes:

finally....they sent me a rejection letter (didn't interview, guys. don't worry lol). about time though. took 'em long enough.

finally....they sent me a rejection letter (didn't interview, guys. don't worry lol). about time though. took 'em long enough.

Same here! hahaha. It's only been almost a year...

I've officially heard 'something' from every school now.

There is hope for waitlistees!

I just got in off the waitlist and am deciding whether to defer entrance for a year to do research at a highly respected hospital in a competitive specialty I have always been interested in and done a lot of shadowing in. I was hoping for opinions from current Sinai students/grads (like jbz24) on the benefit of doing such a year of research prior to med school - that would be the main reason for defering enrollment for me. In addition to enjoying doing the research, do you think that it would provide an advantage when I ultimately do apply for residency placement?

Status
Not open for further replies.