2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the "things are moving slowly this year, but you remain under consideration" e-mail from Dean Nicholas today. Has anyone received a second interview request after this kind of response?

at least u got this, i dont have anything :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I received the "things are moving slowly this year, but you remain under consideration" e-mail from Dean Nicholas today. Has anyone received a second interview request after this kind of response?

I got a similar email from him. Mine said something about my being among a "small group of particularly highly rated applicants" and that he "continues to be hopeful" about my chances. Did yours say that...?

I got something very similar: "...you remain under active consideration..." It also said: "we will keep your candidacy very much in mind..."

spyderracing, did you get "active" as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got something very similar: "...you remain under active consideration..." It also said: "we will keep your candidacy very much in mind..."

were these e-mails unsolicited? or had you all contacted the admissions office or dean nicholas recently and this was in response?

I didn't get any sort of email. I guess it's either a silent rejection of the waitlistees or a phone call coming up. :p No 2nd interview, 1 update letter from a long time ago.

Is Columbia financial aid all need-based?

:laugh: looking back on these posts months from now, we're all going to laugh at ourselves for nitpicking this much, but I can't help it right now! I got excited when my letter said "particularly highly rated" but I guess everyone is getting pretty much the same thing

Never received a reply in response to my updates, but got this when I asked if a 2nd interview would be possible during my visit to NY from Dean Nicholas (mind you, it was a poorly planned trip, and I only emailed them a week before I was to be there)

"I am sorry that it is not possible for me to schedule any additional interviews at the present time...want to assure you that your application remains under active consideration by the Committee"

ARRRRGH Columbia, I would give my left ovary to go to your school. Show me some love, damn it.

Talked with the financial aid office recently, and yes, the only aid is need-based (except outside scholarships, I would imagine). Also, no use in filling out your P&S-specific forms until/unless you get that lovely call or email from Dr. Nicholas.

Awesome. Congrats! Did you address your emails to Dean Nicholas or Dean Frantz? I thought Dean Frantz was in charge but it seems like Dean Nicholas is taking over a lot of it from the talks on the board?

Dr. Nicholas is doing the vast majority of the communication work as Dean of Admissions. Dean Frantz is still around though, he's just not doing that much of the letter/email writing stuff. This is a transition year as Dean Nicholas takes over and Dean Frantz retires from the role.

I didn't get any sort of email. I guess it's either a silent rejection of the waitlistees or a phone call coming up. :p No 2nd interview, 1 update letter from a long time ago.

Columbia financial aid is mostly need based with some merit based scholarships (they often have specific restrictions though like gender or what not).

Dr. Nicholas is doing the vast majority of the communication work as Dean of Admissions. Dean Frantz is still around though, he's just not doing that much of the letter/email writing stuff. This is a transition year as Dean Nicholas takes over and Dean Frantz retires from the role.

Columbia financial aid is mostly need based with some merit based scholarships (they often have specific restrictions though like gender or what not).

any updates on how the waitlist movement is coming along, mmmcdowe? :)

any updates on how the waitlist movement is coming along, mmmcdowe? :)

Not yet no. I talked to an adcom member today but it was because we were both at a talk given by Dr. Oliver Sacks. Something useful that did come up is the adcom is used to people withdrawing from letters of intent over financial aid reasons, so I hope that will allay any fears of people that they will get black listed for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like there was no love this week beyond those who had second interviews, huh? Hopefully next week is a little more generous...

Dean Frantz came to the play yesterday. I chatted briefly about admissions with him and he didn't seem to think that things were over for the waitlist hopefuls.

thanks for this update. maybe this week will bring good news to us.

anyone know when we'll hear back about housing?

Sent an update + letter of intent earlier this month to Dean Frantz, then my transcript and ANOTHER LOI earlier this week to Dean Nicholas (though i don't think they got it yet - supposed to arrive friday afternoon) and got this lovely yet depressing email last night:

"Thank you very much for your continuing interest in and enthusiasm ... While withdrawals are slow in coming this year, compared to years past, I want to let you know that your application continues to be under very serious consideration."

I swear to god, it's worse than dating.

Sent an update + letter of intent earlier this month to Dean Frantz, then my transcript and ANOTHER LOI earlier this week to Dean Nicholas (though i don't think they got it yet - supposed to arrive friday afternoon) and got this lovely yet depressing email last night:

"Thank you very much for your continuing interest in and enthusiasm ... While withdrawals are slow in coming this year, compared to years past, I want to let you know that your application continues to be under very serious consideration."

I swear to god, it's worse than dating.

got the same email just now...I wonder why it is not sent in a batch at the same time...

oops, my mistake. 9:36 am for you as well?

Nope, 10:28 am EDT...I guess the administrative assistant is sending out individually with the same email, hence the time difference. May be the lag can explain how many of this emails were sent? I would prefer not to think too much.

Nope, 10:28 am EDT...I guess the administrative assistant is sending out individually with the same email, hence the time difference. May be the lag can explain how many of this emails were sent? I would prefer not to think too much.

Ugh, now i'm thinking about what order they sent the emails in. OVERANALYSIS MODE ACTIVATE.

Dr. Nicholas is going on a trip at the end of this week. I don't know how long he will be gone, but that might put a bit of a pause on admissions decisions until he gets back.

Between that and this morning/last night's e-mails, game over, huh?

Ugh, now i'm thinking about what order they sent the emails in. OVERANALYSIS MODE ACTIVATE.

i am perpetually in overanalysis mode these days :laugh:
does the email say he "continues to be hopeful that [they] will be able to act favorably upon your application"?

does the email say he "continues to be hopeful that [they] will be able to act favorably upon your application"?

I remember the email saying something similar when I asked for a 2nd interview while I was in NY and was turned down. Can't seem to find it though...

I had that in a snail mail last month, but not in today's email...I hope that doesn't mean anything.

I had that in a snail mail last month, but not in today's email...I hope that doesn't mean anything.

Are you two the same person? haha

Are you two the same person? haha

hahaha no, but it confuses even me :p
okay i didn't meant to raise alarms about that last "continue to be hopeful" clause as I only received it in a letter a few weeks ago and haven't had any correspondence of the sort since then. was just curious.

All I can say about the matter is that the facebook group is still quite under filled compared to my class. This may just be because people aren't joining or don't have FB, but I'd suggest not giving up entirely if you have that leisure. I don't even know if Dr. Nicholas is back yet, but he wasn't leaving because there was no more adcoming to do as far as I know. Starting June 1st, however, he is now the only Dean of Admissions so I would address anything to him.

All I can say about the matter is that the facebook group is still quite under filled compared to my class. This may just be because people aren't joining or don't have FB, but I'd suggest not giving up entirely if you have that leisure. I don't even know if Dr. Nicholas is back yet, but he wasn't leaving because there was no more adcoming to do as far as I know. Starting June 1st, however, he is now the only Dean of Admissions so I would address anything to him.

Do you know if any of your classmates were accepted off of the waitlist this late in the season? Thanks for your help!

The emptiness of my mailbox. Sob.
mmmcdowe, do you know how many people got off the waitlist last year after June?

I never posted, but I was accepted from the alternate list a little while back. Definitely don't lose hope!

I have been addressing all my letters of interest to Dr. Frantz; at what point did they switch? I have been receiving letters back from Dr. Frantz, but I have never spoken with Dr. Nicholas. Should I send my next letter to the former or the latter?

I have been addressing all my letters of interest to Dr. Frantz; at what point did they switch? I have been receiving letters back from Dr. Frantz, but I have never spoken with Dr. Nicholas. Should I send my next letter to the former or the latter?

I addressed my first letter to Dean Frantz, but got an email from Dean Nicholas saying he appreciates my interest in Columbia P&S so i've been addressing all of my updates to Dean Nicholas. Not sure if it really matters, though, because even if you don't put down a name, it will probably go to who ever is in charge of the waitlist. they seem pretty good with keeping track of stuff at columbia...

You've probably been talking to Dr. Nicholas anyways, he has been handling Dr. Frantz's mail in at least part for some time. The formal switch was a couple days ago, but rest assured that it will be read by a Dean of admissions regardless of the two you have been addressing it to.

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the response letters and they were all signed by Dr. Frantz. The last one I sent was just before spring break. Goodluck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.