2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 2nd interview today with Dr. Nicholas. I was given a fat envelope and welcomed aboard. I was prepared for a far more serious encounter. I received an e-mail from Dr. Nicholas on April 26th asking me to schedule a second interview. He said when they scheduled me they intended it to be more like an interview but that in the past few days some spots had opened up and he was happy to give me the offer in person. Sounds like there is some room for a few more WLers! Good luck to those who still need it.

congratulations!!! :) so jealous! nice that you got an acceptance right off the bat. continuing to wait over here. :xf:
by chance did he happen to give you an idea of how many spots had opened up, how many offers they'd made from the wait list so far, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

kind of confused. Has anyone received this message when signing up for housing on the housing website.

Applications are not accepted until April 15th 2009.

Your application has been received by Columbia University Medical Center – Office of Housing Services.

....seems contradictory

Regarding Housing, If/When People move off campus (I've heard of people moving downtown closer to the undergrad area) are there certain buildings people move into to or do they just kind of disperse?

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding Housing, If/When People move off campus (I've heard of people moving downtown closer to the undergrad area) are there certain buildings people move into to or do they just kind of disperse?

There's a lot of dispersal. However, a lot of fourth year students will email the student body to offer other class mates a chance to be first in line for the apartment.

For people who got second interviews here (or for anyone else who might know -- mmmcdowe?), what are they like? Are they completely conversational, or are they more intense? Just wondering how it works - I've never heard of any other school doing this. Thanks!

For people who got second interviews here (or for anyone else who might know -- mmmcdowe?), what are they like? Are they completely conversational, or are they more intense? Just wondering how it works - I've never heard of any other school doing this. Thanks!

Mine was just a conversation. We talked about where we grew up, global health because I just returned from a conference, pediatrics (his specialty), etc. Lasted maybe 20 minutes. Would not describe it as intense at all.

Is there any additional paperwork that we need to fill out before the 15th? The only thing I've sent in so far is the initial form holding my place, and I just wanted to be absolutely sure I'm not missing anything. Is there a deposit or anything??

Is there any additional paperwork that we need to fill out before the 15th? The only thing I've sent in so far is the initial form holding my place, and I just wanted to be absolutely sure I'm not missing anything. Is there a deposit or anything??

You can always call and confirm, but if anything is missing at the deadline they will contact you to remind you not throw you out.

I already sent an update letter in late April.. How soon is too soon to send another update?

I already sent an update letter in late April.. How soon is too soon to send another update?

Monthly is the recommendation given in waitlist letters. It's not a bad rule of thumb.

Someone asked about 2nd interviews. They are very similar to what your first interview was (hopefully!) like. Low stress, chatty, friendly, and just talks about whatever you've done insider or outside of medicine and about why you like Columbia and why your interviewer likes Columbia.

So a good question came up recently about pre-studying. Now undoubtedly there are those reading who are considering doing it for a variety of reasons. Some have been out of the education game and are nervous about getting back into mental shape, some are hoping to front load, and I'm sure quite honestly many of you are just plain excited to start your medical career. So with that in mind I hope to give you some pointers on things that will, at the very least, not be total wastes of your effort. I will preface this by saying that I did not pre-study anything nor did I have advanced knowledge in anatomy, histology, physiology, microbiology, etc like some members of my class. My performance, nonetheless, has always been proportional to my effort and I have not found myself at a disadvantage because of my lack of previous knowledge. Don't feel obligated to pre-read, nor do I really encourage you to (enjoy your summer!), but like I said some will for a variety of reasons and you might as well get some small thing out of it.

I'd buy a batch of Netter's flashcards and begin memorizing the stuff if you've never had anatomy before. I didn't do this and I was fine (never took anatomy), but it's the one thing that I can confidently point to and say that you will be expected to learn and will make the transition easier by at least ensuring that you are familiar with some of the words even if you aren't 100% able to remember them all. Start with muscles and bones, ignore specific attachments unless you hate yourself and just generalize what bone each tendon is attached to. After that, hit up nerves and vasculature then review it all. I'd focus on the upper body and neck, because that's what is first and thus that's what will be freshest in your mind rather than, say, cranial anatomy which you won't get to til December. Like I said though, ultimately just having the words sound familiar is a good achievement. Other than that, you could maybe pick up a histology book and get your head around the basics. The trick in my opinion is to go for general, not specific. Specifics are forgotten where as the general stuff will be there for you to ground yourself in. I don't recommend any specific histology book (it doesn't matter because there aren't assigned readings), just go for one which seems to have really nice pictures. Other things you could consider doing besides anatomy and histology would be EKG reading. Once again, I did fine without learning before hand but its a skill that is always nice to at least know what a QRS is when you are shadowing and on your clerkships and for pharmacology.

This book: http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Interpre...3505346&sr=1-1

Seems to be the Columbia favorite. I have a copy myself and plan on reading it as review this summer because I really enjoyed the EKG section. I learned EKG reading from this book, the required text for cardiology, which is great for the basics and very good at making sure you understand them but I assume the ekg book takes it to a more extensive level. Like I said, I haven't read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pathophysiolog...3505441&sr=1-1

Last edited:
I had a similar experience to that of quemador, and was offered a place at the beginning of the meeting and handed the big envelope. I am extremely excited. Good luck to those still waiting:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar experience to that of quemador, and was offered a place at the beginning of the meeting and handed the big envelope. I am extremely excited. Good luck to those still waiting:luck:

Very nice, Congrats!

When did this happen?

wow, congrats!
did he say anything else about waitlist movement?

For those who are accepted, did anyone get acknowledgment from the office about them receiving the acceptance reply form? If so how long did it take?

For those who are accepted, did anyone get acknowledgment from the office about them receiving the acceptance reply form? If so how long did it take?

I didn't get any acknowledgment, so I wouldn't worry about it.. but you can always call to make sure. :thumbup:

Columbia people - How useful would a basic knowledge of medical Spanish be, esp. for CoSMO/CHHP? I was thinking about getting a book this summer and going through it (eh, I probably will regardless, cause my Spanish is terrible, but I'm curious how much I would need it.)

I didn't get any acknowledgment, so I wouldn't worry about it.. but you can always call to make sure. :thumbup:

Columbia people - How useful would a basic knowledge of medical Spanish be, esp. for CoSMO/CHHP? I was thinking about getting a book this summer and going through it (eh, I probably will regardless, cause my Spanish is terrible, but I'm curious how much I would need it.)

It's helpful because it is faster but not necessary. There are plenty of opportunities to brush up along the way like medical spanish courses and summer emersion.

By the looks of last year's thread, nobody got in (and posted about it) after 5/15. Anyone else starting to freak out?

It's helpful because it is faster but not necessary. There are plenty of opportunities to brush up along the way like medical spanish courses and summer emersion.

What year do people take the medical spanish courses?

Also, what is a good histology book to get?

By the looks of last year's thread, nobody got in (and posted about it) after 5/15. Anyone else starting to freak out?

People in my class got off waitlist post 5/15. The thread just starts to die as people move over to the facebook group.

What year do people take the medical spanish courses?

Also, what is a good histology book to get?

Usually at some point within the first two years. I don't really have any recommendations for a histology book specifically. The pictures more than the text is what is important in my opinion. Honestly though I just picked up the first and cheapest that I saw. I use it on occasion but Columbia's online histology resources are truthfully going to be of the most use.

People in my class got off waitlist post 5/15. The thread just starts to die as people move over to the facebook group.

Any idea how many people, typically? Do most get in pre-5/15, or do many more spots open up post? Also, if one has requested a second interview but not received it, is that a good/bad sign?

Any idea how many people, typically? Do most get in pre-5/15, or do many more spots open up post? Also, if one has requested a second interview but not received it, is that a good/bad sign?

Just a little bit over 100 have joined the facebook group, so assuming a class size of 150, I'd say there's still some hope! Now of course this assumes the majority of people who have made up their mind have joined (why wouldn't you?)...I guess there's still too much uncertainty at this point to say for sure.

getting extremely nervous about the wait list after reading the last couple posts!

mmmcdowe, is there anything you can shed more light upon? things you've seen/heard in the past couple days regarding second interviews, acceptances, etc.? thanks so much - as always.

No clue how many people get off post-May 15th, I don't have enough to go on to stress you with a guesstimate (lol spell check says that guesstimate is a word, who would of thunk it). likewise, I can't tell you if getting/not getting a 2nd interview is a good thing because it varies on a person to person basis and isn't set in stone either way.

Some people haven't joined facebook because, surprisingly, some don't have one. This is probably balanced out by the fact that some people in the facebook group are going to withdraw as well.

I've been on vacation the last week so I haven't seem or heard anything. I may see one of the Deans tomorrow, but I doubt he will be chatting about admissions. It's a social event. I did see someone interviewing today, so they are still doing it.

No clue how many people get off post-May 15th, I don't have enough to go on to stress you with a guesstimate (lol spell check says that guesstimate is a word, who would of thunk it). likewise, I can't tell you if getting/not getting a 2nd interview is a good thing because it varies on a person to person basis and isn't set in stone either way.

Some people haven't joined facebook because, surprisingly, some don't have one. This is probably balanced out by the fact that some people in the facebook group are going to withdraw as well.

I've been on vacation the last week so I haven't seem or heard anything. I may see one of the Deans tomorrow, but I doubt he will be chatting about admissions. It's a social event. I did see someone interviewing today, so they are still doing it.

thanks so much! it's hard to not be antsy at this point and i appreciate all the info you share. :)

Fuuuuu-- So antsy right now! I'm paranoid that because I'm in Canada, even if they take me off the WL it'll take forever to get here and i will miss the deadline. :(

anyone hear anything today or over the weekend? anyone know if the post may 15th movement has already started or even ended?

anyone hear anything today or over the weekend? anyone know if the post may 15th movement has already started or even ended?

Nothing for me. I spoke with Dean Nicholas last week, and he mentioned that waitlist movement was going quite slowly this year (looking back on last year's thread, the situations seem parallel, and the outcomes not great), so to hang back for a little bit while they sort things out. No comment on my chances, but I didn't press him at all.

mmmcdowe, any inside information or deep P&S wisdom, except chill out?

Nothing for me. I spoke with Dean Nicholas last week, and he mentioned that waitlist movement was going quite slowly this year (looking back on last year's thread, the situations seem parallel, and the outcomes not great), so to hang back for a little bit while they sort things out. No comment on my chances, but I didn't press him at all.

i also got this kind of a response via email :( - that withdrawals were coming in later this year than last year, but they continue to be hopeful about my chances...

i feel like this is just a really lame way to say that your chances are bad . after all the waitlist has CLEARLY moved quite a bit, judging by the number of acceptances on SDN

Ohhh nooes! :(
Sob, Columbia. Way to break my heart. Maybe next year.
Already getting ready to re-write my applications... Ugh. Not looking forward to re-doing this whole damn thing again. I wish they'd just outright reject people they don't think have a chance on the waitlist instead of making us keep our hopes up.

Ohhh nooes! :(
Sob, Columbia. Way to break my heart. Maybe next year.
Already getting ready to re-write my applications... Ugh. Not looking forward to re-doing this whole damn thing again. I wish they'd just outright reject people they don't think have a chance on the waitlist instead of making us keep our hopes up.
yeah, especially if you get handwritten notes on the waitlist letter and the reply letter to your letter of intent and still hears nothing yet...but I am still keeping my hopes up..at least for the next two weeks.

Dr. Nicholas just gave me a call - I'm in. I can't believe it.

!!!!!!!

Good luck to all still waiting!

Congrats!

I have no news, but I will go by in a few days to see how Columbia did in the waitlist game.

I just realized I've never answered this question. Dean Nicholas likes photography (black and white seems to be his specialty), Wyoming, public health/international health, the opera (he seems quite knowledgeable about all parts of it, including the ballet), children's health, HIV initiatives, painting (pastels and watercolors), sketching (using a camera lucida no less), and seems to value the triad of healing, teaching, and research. He tours art museums and is a very snappy dresser if I may say so. I've found myself envious of some of his scarves and vests :laugh:.

and just like that opera houses across the country see a sudden spike in interest from 20-somethings, all curiously looking to become physicians... or surgeons

i feel like this is just a really lame way to say that your chances are bad . after all the waitlist has CLEARLY moved quite a bit, judging by the number of acceptances on SDN

Perhaps we do need this gut check. No more seeing the admissions process through rose-colored glasses with four leaf clover lenses. On the other hand, I reallllly don't want to let go...I'm giving it til the end of next week before that happens.

!!!!!!!

Congrats! Out of curiosity, were you accepted to the normal program, or to the Bassett program?

!!!!!!!

Good luck to all still waiting!

congrats! at least we know the waitlist is moving...just not to me (yet?) haha...

I just realized I've never answered this question. Dean Nicholas likes photography (black and white seems to be his specialty), Wyoming, public health/international health, the opera (he seems quite knowledgeable about all parts of it, including the ballet), children's health, HIV initiatives, painting (pastels and watercolors), sketching (using a camera lucida no less),

Damn it, and I sent all of my paintings to Dean Frantz. :laugh:

Congrats! Out of curiosity, were you accepted to the normal program, or to the Bassett program?

I was accepted to the normal program. I'm pretty sure all the Bassett program slots filled up a long time ago...

and in response to an earlier question about if I did anything special - I did sent an update letter and two update emails as new things came in (awards, grades, etc). In everything I emphasized how I would definitely attend if taken off the waitlist.

ahh still so happy. good luck!!

I was accepted to the normal program. I'm pretty sure all the Bassett program slots filled up a long time ago...

and in response to an earlier question about if I did anything special - I did sent an update letter and two update emails as new things came in (awards, grades, etc). In everything I emphasized how I would definitely attend if taken off the waitlist.

ahh still so happy. good luck!!

Awesome. Congrats! Did you address your emails to Dean Nicholas or Dean Frantz? I thought Dean Frantz was in charge but it seems like Dean Nicholas is taking over a lot of it from the talks on the board?

I received the "things are moving slowly this year, but you remain under consideration" e-mail from Dean Nicholas today. Has anyone received a second interview request after this kind of response?

Status
Not open for further replies.