2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooo VC/any other CCLCM-ers

We haven't been given our CCLCM email either right? o_O~

The summer preceptor email was sent to my regular email and my ccf one. Now if only I could figure out how to access that ccf one...heh.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For UP:

I've adjusted some of the loan amounts originally offered on the financial aid letter I received back in April. But I haven't received anything back from their office since then, although I've completed the MPN and entrance counseling online.

Has anyone heard anything back from the financial aid office after having revised their original offers?

Thanks!

For UP:

I've adjusted some of the loan amounts originally offered on the financial aid letter I received back in April. But I haven't received anything back from their office since then, although I've completed the MPN and entrance counseling online.

Has anyone heard anything back from the financial aid office after having revised their original offers?

Thanks!

Hey! So I was in the same position and I hadn't heard anything...I called them and they never received my letter >.< So I would call their office and just double check. Otherwise, you may have to fax them the letter again.

Hi,

I'm an incoming M1 and I've got a parking question I'm hoping some current students could answer. I found an apartment in a great location in Little Italy, but it does not come with a parking space. I'm fine with on street parking during the spring, summer, and fall, but I am a little wary about parking on the street during the Cleveland winter. I was considering one of two solutions to the problem:

1) rent a parking space from someone in the area who is not using their parking space

2) buy a school parking permit in S-53 (Veale?) from September to May and park the car there during snow storms

I'm leaning towards option 2 since S-53 is a garage and even nicer than just plain off street parking, but I was wondering whether Case had restrictions on permit holders leaving their cars overnight (or for several nights, cough). Any current students know of anyone who does this? By the way, both options come out to approximately the same amount per month.

Of course I could just suck it up and dig my car out every time it gets plowed in and I want to go somewhere, but I'm thinking the extra $$ per month so I don't have to do that might be worth it.

So what Anatomy Atlas is everyone getting? The suggested one is Gilroy and it has good reviews, but I've always heard that Netter is the standard. Current students, which atlas did you guys use?

So what Anatomy Atlas is everyone getting? The suggested one is Gilroy and it has good reviews, but I've always heard that Netter is the standard. Current students, which atlas did you guys use?

Thieme's (illustrated) and Rohen's (photographic) are my personal favorites.:thumbup:

There are plenty of old editions of Netter's running around in the labs, so I wouldn't worry about buying one to use in lab unless you need one that's a bit more.... in one piece.:oops:

Hi,

I'm an incoming M1 and I've got a parking question I'm hoping some current students could answer. I found an apartment in a great location in Little Italy, but it does not come with a parking space. I'm fine with on street parking during the spring, summer, and fall, but I am a little wary about parking on the street during the Cleveland winter. I was considering one of two solutions to the problem:

1) rent a parking space from someone in the area who is not using their parking space

2) buy a school parking permit in S-53 (Veale?) from September to May and park the car there during snow storms

I'm leaning towards option 2 since S-53 is a garage and even nicer than just plain off street parking, but I was wondering whether Case had restrictions on permit holders leaving their cars overnight (or for several nights, cough). Any current students know of anyone who does this? By the way, both options come out to approximately the same amount per month.

Of course I could just suck it up and dig my car out every time it gets plowed in and I want to go somewhere, but I'm thinking the extra $$ per month so I don't have to do that might be worth it.

If you live in Little Italy, you can get a street parking permit for $10/year. I don't think it's worth buying a garage spot in Veale because it's so far and going to be a hassle to walk over there every time you need to get groceries or run errands, etc. I lived in Little Italy during Year 2 and it wasn't too bad even in the winter. On the same note, I don't think you should buy an unused garage spot in Little Italy for similar reasons.

I used Rohen as an atlas and Moore as a text. Speaking of which, both are for sale. :)

I used Netter's. But my advice is to buy an old copy of whichever atlas you get from one of the upperclassmen, because all of the atlases show the exact same anatomy, and human anatomy hasn't changed in the past few hundred years since the Enlightenment. So, if iceman77_7 is selling his atlas for a reasonable price, one of you guys should definitely take him up on his offer. :)

Well, moving truly sucks. That was a beast of a drive with a truck and towing a car...and unpacking is eternal. But I <3 our new house :woot:and Cleveland has been great so far! Amazing weather for summer. Moving-out day was almost 100 degrees in KC.

Don't forget the free epocrates offer - today (June 30) is the last day it's free. Usually $150. I thought that we had to access it through the eCurriculum site, which we don't get access to until July 8, but I asked and there's a direct link. Perhaps I missed finding that on my own, but if anyone else is wondering, email or call for the link.

Congrats on your acceptance, MusicToMed!!! :zip:M.C. HammerMonkey dances in your honor!

To those of you that live or have lived in the Waldorf Apartments:

1. Is there really breakfast during weekday mornings?

2. Is there a shuttle that buses students to/from classes during the winter?

3. Are there any other apartments of comparable rates that aren't OLD and are within walking distance to Case?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
1405d1241768450-my-1000th-post-1000th.jpg

I move into a quaint studio on overlook tomorrow. Coming from California was a hell of a drive.

See you guys next week! <3 <3 <3

AHH!!~~ can't believe med school is starting so sooonnnnn

I move into a quaint studio on overlook tomorrow. Coming from California was a hell of a drive.

I'm also arriving in Cleveland tomorrow. I also drove from California, but I spent the last two weeks vacationing in DC, so I'll be arriving from the other direction. Can't wait to meet everyone!

I'm moving up Monday! It's both scary and exciting. Next week guys...med school!!

Can't wait to meet everybody! When is everybody doing computer orientation? I signed up for the Apple 10am on Tuesday

I know how you feel man. I have done that drive 5 times.

It almost doesn't even feel real yet - that the thing I've spent the last zillion years working my butt off to get into is about to start in a few days. It still hasn't completely set in that I actually live in this house/city now, rather than just feeling like I'm on vacation! (A grueling vacation involving massive amounts of cleaning and hours at the DMV/Title Bureau :mad:)

BTW you do have 30 days to get plates switched over to Ohio plates.. I don't anticipate having much free time to sit in lines during business hours later this month, so I tried to get it all done asap. Apparently, my car failed the E-Check for emissions (some sort of broken sensor), and I have to have it fixed before I can get my plates. >_<

Okay! So apparently it's not MANDATED that you do it in 30 days, just recommended. Last time I listen to the DMV's "you must"s... tho I'll probably do it anyway now that I have the car fixed

Last edited:
Also, I have a ton of really sturdy cardboard boxes that anyone can have who wants them...maybe a 4th year moving away? Where do you recommend I post them so that someone looking for boxes might find them?

So a few things.

1. Not to hate on Cleveland, but the weather feels like the gates of hell just opened and I'm physically walking into beelzebub's mouth.

2. Why is all the good fast food on Euclid? I don't like being haggled as I drive down the road.

3. I won't have internet in my house until Thursday, I'm going to explode.

4. Have I mentioned that I feel like I'm going to suffocate from humidity? (I'm so happy I bought a Window unit AC)

With that being said, I really like my neighborhood on overlook. I got some decent furniture from some nearby goodwills and dumpsters out back of my apartment. Severence (a shopping area on Mayfield near case) has a walmart / boarders / etc to look at, but I hear the beachwood mall is the place to be. I'll have to check it out before the parents come and I have to "Show them around Cleveland."

With that being said, I'm currently looking for a Food Blog / Guide on delicious Cleveland eats, so keep me updated.

I'll leave with a tid bit of information from a walmart worker about the heat / humidity: "At least you don't have to shovel it."

Weather: It was beautiful last week. Then you guys started showing up.:smuggrin: Seriously, though, it was mid-seventies last week. Now it's 90-something all the way until Friday.:cry:

Sources of food: Euclid isn't your only source of 'good' fast food. Check Cedar, Lee, and drive a bit further down Mayfield.:thumbup:

Interwebs: Oh, man.

Humidity: This is humid? I suppose for Ohio this is pretty humid. It really doesn't get any worse than this, so I'm sure you'll survive.:thumbup:

Getting into Cleveland today, excited! But a bit confused as to where exactly we're supposed to go for computer orientation. What building is E324 in, exactly? I feel so unprepared, hahaha.

So a few things.

2. Why is all the good fast food on Euclid? I don't like being haggled as I drive down the road.

With that being said, I'm currently looking for a Food Blog / Guide on delicious Cleveland eats, so keep me updated.

I'll leave with a tid bit of information from a walmart worker about the heat / humidity: "At least you don't have to shovel it."

Sad to say, but the reason the fast food places are in the ghetto on Euclid is because the people that buy the highest amount of fast food live there. That said, I LOVE fast food. Probably going to Rally's for lunch. :)

Cleveland.com has a pretty good dining guide. Check it out: http://www.cleveland.com/top-restaurants/

Yay, discount books from upperclass students! I'm interested once I'm done with all this moving in business... :)

My Case Med forum post has all the up to the minute inventory. Feel free to send me an email if you want to come by and take a look. Unfortunately musictomed already bought most of the year 1 stuff.

Orientation was super cool. The '14's, upper classmen, and staff are awesome. I look forward to spending the next 4 years with ya'lls! :love:

Sad to say, but the reason the fast food places are in the ghetto on Euclid is because the people that buy the highest amount of fast food live there. That said, I LOVE fast food. Probably going to Rally's for lunch. :)

Cleveland.com has a pretty good dining guide. Check it out: http://www.cleveland.com/top-restaurants/

My Case Med forum post has all the up to the minute inventory. Feel free to send me an email if you want to come by and take a look. Unfortunately musictomed already bought most of the year 1 stuff.

Most, but not all. I think I left a bread-crumb or two. That said, thanks, iceman! I'll use & share them well and, eventually, pass them on.

I know I've met a bunch of folks from the list, so far. Hopefully, I'll connect more faces to usernames, soon!

Hmmmm … I need to change my status from "pre-med" to "medical student.". So cool. :cool:

:p

Hmmm...now the game begins...now I'm trying to put names with faces...er...avatars? :shifty:

I stick out like a sore thumb at CCLCM (do I look angry in my photo? Be honest.) but you guys are hard to ID.

vc

I think I found out who you are :ninja:

Hahaha...well like I said...not rocket surgery, now is it? :p

Do you know Myuu and CCLCMer? Auriga? MusictoMed (I talk to him but I am not sure he knows :ninja:)

And yes, I have my suspicions about you, Rock... ;)

EDIT: Its like finding out the alter egos of your Super-hero friends - I'm not sure I wanna know!

OMG I love Case.

I may not always feel as warm and fuzzy about coursework as I do now, so I'll write it down: it is absolutely wonderful to be learning things that are directly related to what I want to do with my life! No more electric circuit equations or the intricate mating habits of Drosophila. :love:

And we have a really, really great class. But I still haven't identified more than a couple of you! I called out Meat, straight up. But other than him, musictomed, Myuu, vc7777777, and stratmaster, as well as a few lurkers, I have no idea. I'm dying to know who everyone is!

EDIT: Its like finding out the alter egos of your Super-hero friends - I'm not sure I wanna know!
hahaha! But sometimes, the alter-ego is more interesting than the superhero ;)

Three cheers for the Nauti Mermaid! ;)
Arrr, she be nauti indeed! Tho those lobsters really should be liberated from their nasty tank... but the shoreline in Ohio would just lead them into a brineless death :/

Thanks for making me chortle in the alumni library at CCF...
I am afraid you may already be too late for some of those guys...

OK...this thread is bound to be locked down soon, right? I demand an egg-plant themed potluck get-together so that I can figure out who is who on this damn thread...

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:P.S. I think I know how to solve BOTH issues click here...

Last edited:
Thanks for making me chortle in the alumni library at CCF...
I am afraid you may already be too late for some of those guys...

OK...this thread is bound to be locked down soon, right? I demand an egg-plant themed potluck get-together so that I can figure out who is who on this damn thread...

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:P.S. I think I know how to solve BOTH issues click here...

count me in. I've only met 1 sdner at school. mentioning sdn to med school classmates is like mentioning the crucifixion to Jesus...they just squirm and go "I'd rather we not talk about that"

I am really jealous of you right now....class of 2015 means that you are doing the special five year med school program...thatz my ideal school but my MCAT sucks, but I do have like two years of full time research and a 3.7GPA and pretty much everything a med schools wants... what did thos guys want from besides the numbers?...i mean, in terms of research...thanks in advance tho...

I am really jealous of you right now....class of 2015 means that you are doing the special five year med school program...thatz my ideal school but my MCAT sucks, but I do have like two years of full time research and a 3.7GPA and pretty much everything a med schools wants... what did thos guys want from besides the numbers?...i mean, in terms of research...thanks in advance tho...
Two years of research would definitely be enough to make you competitive for CCLCM as far as research goes. Your GPA is fine. When you say your MCAT sucks, how bad is sucks? There is no minimum MCAT or cutoff, but if you have like a 20, your chances aren't going to be so great. If you're talking more in the upper 20s-lower 30s range, you should definitely apply.

Besides research, other things the adcomm is looking for are pretty much what every med school wants to see, like clinical experience and evidence of a commitment to medicine. Community service and evidence of leadership are pluses too. The adcomm will also evaluate you on more subjective characteristics like maturity, professionalism, communication skills, readiness for medical school, etc.

Oh, and you might want to post on the new 2010 Case app thread from now on, because the mods are going to lock this one soon.

I wanted to set up a meeting to go over my application to see what I could improve on for reapplying next year after getting rejected at Case back in December. Should I email Dr. Mehta or is there anyone else that I should email to try to set up a meeting? Thanks

I wanted to set up a meeting to go over my application to see what I could improve on for reapplying next year after getting rejected at Case back in December. Should I email Dr. Mehta or is there anyone else that I should email to try to set up a meeting? Thanks
Good that you're sticking to it! Dedication :thumbup: As for with whom to speak, I know very little of the inner workings of that process. I still am standing in the wading pool of M1, with my water wings on, so perhaps an M2 might help you more than I can ^_^
Hear hear! Let's set quill to parchment and discuss. But they will really lock this thread? :/ Perhaps we should move this effort into the 2010-11?

:rofl:
count me in. I've only met 1 sdner at school. mentioning sdn to med school classmates is like mentioning the crucifixion to Jesus...they just squirm and go "I'd rather we not talk about that"
I genuinely lol'd there. I've asked a few about SDN and gotten the "well I didn't post, I lurked" answer mostly. Tho I called out one of our group straight up, proud to say! Like I said elsewhere, we could sit next to each other every lecture and never know it...:ninja:

Status
Not open for further replies.