2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, that woman DOES look surprised, btw.

That's pretty average for asian variety TV surprised, actually.:laugh::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

If I choose Case I'll be in a long term relationship. How easy would it be to take a trip once or maybe even twice a semester to see my girlfriend during the first 2 years? I understand 3rd year would be basically impossible - but it'd be nice to know what the first two would be like. We'd either both be at SLU or I'd be at Case and she at BU...

I'm not a current Case student, but I am an incoming M1 in close to the same situation as you. During this last application season, I got into Case and pretty much wanted to go here while my boyfriend of several years got into Case and several other schools (including BU and Georgetown). While he thought the Case PhD program was okay, he really liked the programs at BU and Georgetown. Even though we'd be together if he went to Case, I told him to go elsewhere since I could tell that the research being done at Case just wasn't as appealing to him as the other two schools. The point being that as painful as it is to separate from someone, you are going to school (and spending a lot of money) for professional reasons, so you should choose the option that best fits you. If our relationship survives this separation I figure we'll be stronger for it. If not, at least we would have only grown apart and not broken up fighting.

Having said that, I still plan to visit him in Georgetown every couple of months. I figure the time apart will allow me to buckle down and study here. Now I have extra motivation to do well in classes and really focus: I want the best opportunity to be near him in four years.

You're really brave! That's amazing dedication to your goals. Long distance relationships are hard, but do-able. Skype, bluetooth headsets, video conferencing, having the same cell phone company so all your calls are free... It'll be really hard at first then settle into a pattern. My husband and my long-distance relationship was a total of about a year. And I know my cousin who's a med student got together with his brothers for short trips between his clinicals frequently, so a life can still coexist with med school ^_^ But even if you are living together while in school, there'll be lots and lots of time spent apart. In which case, those same tactics are equally useful. That's my plan. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
damn, you guys start in a few weeks....wow. good luck to all of you :luck:

Does anyone know how to sign into the eCurriculum? I wanted to download epocrates but can't figure out how to get in?

For the UP people.... which parking pass do I buy?
I just had to step into here to pout about forking over $975 for parking in Veale... :cry: That seemed to be the absolute best option from all the advice I've heard, but it still stiiiiings, tho. I don't want to have to dig my car out of the snow on a daily basis in the Cleveland-famous long winter. If I find a better way this year, next year I'll change, but for now I want the security of being near.
Now I see how the Triangle might look more appealing :hungover:

LOL. I just received a letter from Drexel University, dated June 9. They told me they finalized their wait list and are no longer considering me. I'd never heard a single thing from them after confirmation of receiving my secondary last fall. June 9th. :laugh:

I just had to step into here to pout about forking over $975 for parking in Veale... :cry: That seemed to be the absolute best option from all the advice I've heard, but it still stiiiiings, tho. I don't want to have to dig my car out of the snow on a daily basis in the Cleveland-famous long winter. If I find a better way this year, next year I'll change, but for now I want the security of being near.
Now I see how the Triangle might look more appealing :hungover:

Hey Auriga - which parking pass was this? I'm on the Case parking website, and I'm not sure which one to pick. I read somewhere that Veale is lot S-53 - is this the same as choosing the "Lot 53FTC Full Time Cash / LOT 53 FULL TIME"? Did you select the July'10 - June'11 choice?

Thanks!

Hey Auriga - which parking pass was this? I'm on the Case parking website, and I'm not sure which one to pick. I read somewhere that Veale is lot S-53 - is this the same as choosing the "Lot 53FTC Full Time Cash / LOT 53 FULL TIME"? Did you select the July'10 - June'11 choice?

Thanks!
Yes that's exactly what I did. It's confusing, isn't it? I went through several pages and compared names with the map until I was sure. S53 is the Veale parking garage. It also states that they send out renewal information prior to the date they allow new orders, so it appears we are fairly secure to be able to keep it annually. :thumbup:

Does the 75$/Semester graduate UPass apply to us? If so, does anyone get that? Would that be better than paying for parking? My apartment is less than a block from a rapids stop. Is public transport in Cleveland safe?

Does the 75$/Semester graduate UPass apply to us? If so, does anyone get that? Would that be better than paying for parking? My apartment is less than a block from a rapids stop. Is public transport in Cleveland safe?

Hopefully, this will help with your decision.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if the UPass applies to CWRU-SOM students or not.

If you live less than a block from a rapid stop, then you might live only a few blocks from the school. You might want to double check how far away from the school you live.

I think the public transportation system is fairly safe, especially during the day. However, I'm a guy and I've been living in Cleveland for a few years (and know the city pretty well). In the past, a problem with the public transportation system in Cleveland has been the frequency of the buses/trains. You really need to know the schedule to make sure you're not waiting too long (depending on the time of day or day of the week). However, I know that the Google-Map app on the iphone will look up public transit times if you give it start and end points.

Oh, and that's another thing. You might want to calculate how much time public transportation will take as opposed to other possible options.

I don't know if this helps, but it might give you a bit more to consider in trying to figure out what's best for you.

Does the 75$/Semester graduate UPass apply to us?
Yes, it applies to med students. You go to the parking office, pay the $75, and they give you a pass good for four months. It has your name and picture on it.

If so, does anyone get that?
Yes.

Would that be better than paying for parking?
That I can't answer for you. We don't pay for parking at CCF. But I can tell you about the RTA routes that go to campus.

First, there is one bus coming from Shaker Square that goes right past the medical school, which is the #48. That's a pretty good bus--it comes every 20 minutes or so all day long. If you continue on past Case, it goes to CCF next, so this is a good bus for CCLCM students also.

The Health Line comes up Euclid past the University Hospital, and you'd have to walk a couple of blocks across campus to the med school. If you're living downtown or on Euclid somewhere, this is extremely convenient. Those buses come every 5-10 minutes all day long. The Health Line also goes to CCF. (That's why it's the Health Line. :))

The #32 comes down Cedar from the Beachwood area and the #7 comes down Euclid Heights and Monticello--both would let you off at the corner of Murray Hill and Cedar, and you'd have to cross the Adelbert bridge on campus. It's a little farther from the med school compared to the Health Line stop on Euclid. You could also transfer to the #48 if you wanted, but it's kind of silly to do that IMO. These buses are much less frequent than the #48 or the Health Line, around every 30-45 minutes.

The red line (train) comes from the West side (all the way to the airport) and there is a University Circle stop that is close to where the #32 and #7 buses stop. Those come every 15 minutes or so during the day. Again, you'd either walk over the Adelbert bridge or take the #48.

The university also operates a shuttle service after 5 PM. This is free of charge. There are two routes: one for the south campus and one for the north campus. The north route mainly goes around the campus, while the south route goes off campus up to Coventry and back.

My apartment is less than a block from a rapids stop. Is public transport in Cleveland safe?
Having ridden the RTA for four years now, I've never had anything worse happen to me than someone begging me for money or asking me to sign some petition. Then again, I don't ride the buses or trains in the middle of the night, sit there flashing my cash, etc. But in all seriousness, I think if you use common sense, you should not have any problem.

HI CCLMer and MusictoMed
Coming from Chicago, I will be new to Cleveland I am trying to get my bearings. I am renting an apt. on euclid heights blvd. near overlook. There is a bus stop on Euclid Heights Blvd. It would be so convienent to take that bus to school. Is that bus stop on the Health line you mention? Or is that a different bus route? I tried to read the RTA map and it was not helpful. I even called the RTA and the operator had me transfering busses 3x to travel the one mile to the school .... I think she was just messin with me.........:smuggrin:
thanks........
Also for anyone still apartment hunting, there is a 3 bedroom available in our 6 flat building. Reasonable rent. appears to be a good deal. If interested let me know and I can send you info.:welcome:

Members don't see this ad :)
HI CCLMer and MusictoMed
Coming from Chicago, I will be new to Cleveland I am trying to get my bearings. I am renting an apt. on euclid heights blvd. near overlook. There is a bus stop on Euclid Heights Blvd. It would be so convienent to take that bus to school. Is that bus stop on the Health line you mention? Or is that a different bus route? I tried to read the RTA map and it was not helpful. I even called the RTA and the operator had me transfering busses 3x to travel the one mile to the school .... I think she was just messin with me.........:smuggrin:
thanks........
Also for anyone still apartment hunting, there is a 3 bedroom available in our 6 flat building. Reasonable rent. appears to be a good deal. If interested let me know and I can send you info.:welcome:

Did you check out:
http://www.riderta.com/

?

Not sure if this is the RTA map you were referring to?

HI CCLMer and MusictoMed
thanks........
No, that's the #7 that goes down Euclid Heights, not the Health Line. Euclid is different than Euclid Heights. But if you're at Euclid Heights and Overlook, then you're really close to campus anyway and you can just walk.

So, did anyone get orientation stuff in the mail? Is the information posted online the extent of the information available?

I just don't really know where to go and at what time on the 8th of July. I suppose the info will be given at the computer orientation sessions, but I kind of expected a packet with some info on school starting.

Maybe I'm just freaking out. Moving is troublesome :confused:

Snagged a Penske truck and a hitch for one of our cars.
Per calculations, we're looking at a 15-17 hr drive... :annoyed:
So...just bought "Complications" as an audio book :D

No, that's the #7 that goes down Euclid Heights, not the Health Line. Euclid is different than Euclid Heights. But if you're at Euclid Heights and Overlook, then you're really close to campus anyway and you can just walk.

thanks
that info helps a lot

When exactly are you moving?
We pack the truck Monday, then drive Tue-Wed. (Stop over in Indianapolis)
By Wednesday evening, we'll be dining on eggplant parmesean at the Trattoria (it's omgawesome btw. One of the M1s at my interview suggested it.) A must for our first official meal in the Cleve. :thumbup:

We decided to have our goodbye party at a kids' pizza party arcade place tonight :laugh:

Meat said:
I just don't really know where to go and at what time on the 8th of July. I suppose the info will be given at the computer orientation sessions, but I kind of expected a packet with some info on school starting.
Maybe I'm just freaking out.
Moving is troublesome :confused:
I'm hoping to get more details closer to the 5th as to what to expect for the first week, too.

And agreed, moving sucks....I can't wait until this is done! All worth it tho :D

BTW,

You got me thinking about the books-on-tape.

IIRC Audible.com had at one time a promotion for people to download a free audio book when you register. And I believe Complications was on this list, when I checked. Don't know if this is of interest to anybody or not.

BTW,

You got me thinking about the books-on-tape.

IIRC Audible.com had at one time a promotion for people to download a free audio book when you register. And I believe Complications was on this list, when I checked. Don't know if this is of interest to anybody or not.
That's exactly what I did. It worked marvelously - but it costs like $7 to join.

Anyhow I'm off to Cleveland! Last night in KC! See you guys in a few days :D

I didn't want to post this until I was fairly confident that it wasn't a hallucination of some sort, but seems have actually happened ...

Holy crap ... I got in! To Case! UP! Just want to use exclamation marks!!!!!!!!

So now, I'm scrambling to catch-up on all sorts of administrative stuff. Fortunately, I already live here (relatively close to the SOM, too).

Thank you so much to all who put out good positive energy for me! I'm still feels very surreal, but it will be very real on July 8th. Yippee!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

(I kind of like the synchronized cheering of the smileys.)

And here we go ...

I didn't want to post this until I was fairly confident that it wasn't a hallucination of some sort, but seems have actually happened ...

So now, I'm scrambling to catch-up on all sorts of administrative stuff. Fortunately, I already live here (relatively close to the SOM, too).

Thank you so much to all who put out good positive energy for me! I'm still feels very surreal, but it will be very real on July 8th. Yippee!!

And here we go ...

Congratulations!!:D:D:D:D

And here we go ...
wow crazy that's pretty awesome though.

Congratulations!!:D:D:D:D

Thank you. :D

So now I have some questions ... I'm still going back and forth between Dell and MBP.

I have a Dell that pretty much meets the specs except for one glaring problem: it's built around the inspiron/studio/xps architecture and they require us to have a latitude. I bought my current Dell because they actually stand by their incredible warranty. I bought a Dell originally (about 6 years ago) because Macs were still pretty limited in what they could do (and there was no "boot-camp"). I can think if pluses and minuses about both machines. This afternoon/evening, I'm heading out to the Apple store (before tomorrow hits) to take an MBP for a serious test-drive. I don't want to rehash a discussion that's already been exhausted, but I do have a few specific questions. If there is some place I can look for answers, that would be great. If not (or if earlier conversations haven't addressed my questions), I would be grateful for any words of wisdom/experience from those who have already traveled this road for a little while.

Here are the specific questions:

1. How "road warrior" durable is the MBP? This goes to the issue of the MBP's warranty which doesn't cover accidental damage. I gather the Dell line is sort of designed for the business user. Some have suggested that the MBP doesn't need the accidental damage protection (as much) because their build is so much better than the Dells in the first place? Does this notion bear out in your (and your friends) experiences?

2. How often do viruses crop up? I would imagine the Dell's are more susceptible. Is the MBP just as vulnerable if it's running boot-camp? Again, some say that Macs are harder to fix when they need it but don't need it as often as the Dells.

3. Are there any applications/programs that we will be using that are easier to run on one system over another? For example, Office for Windows has "one-note" while Office for Mac does not. Mac's have a harder time working with flash media (ongoing spat between adobe and apple). Is that a noticeable obstacle?

4. How hot do the Dell's get? I know that my Studio-15 gets pretty hot. I also noticed that my computer will occasionally misread a brush of my hand NEAR my touchpad and suddenly open a new window (or close the window where I'm working); this is extremely annoying. Any other similar issues with either system?

5. What's the difference in feel? I know this is a vague question. Let me see if I can explain what I'm getting at ... I know that different people have different preferences. There are some Mac people who wouldn't touch a Window's machine with a ten-foot pole and some PC people who scoff at Macs. If you have a strong opinion either way, let me know. If you didn't have a strong opinion but went one way or the other, why? I would really like to know the opinions of previous PC users who switched to the Mac for CWRU-SOM and vice-versa. Also, I'd like to know if any users see the grass as greener on the other side. I asked someone (and current M1-2) about the difference between the two and he said that gesture enabled Macs enable you to do access more common shortcuts more easily than a PC. (He was a PC to Mac person.) Others might say that, for them, the Mac or the PC just "feels" better. That's a completely valid answer to this question.

6. What are people's subjective opinions about screen size? Quality? Weight? My brother gave me a gift-certificate thingy for a Timbuk2 bag, so I'll probably get one of those with a laptop sleeve it in that'll fit my computer. My sense is that the MBP is a little more compatible with laptop sleeves (uniform sized battery & more commonly used dimensions).

Whichever way I go, I'm going to keep my Studio15. I'd get pathetically little for it on ebay and I figure that keeping it would help me keep my person and school work from cross-pollinating. Finally, there is a chance that I might get to the Apple store, try a Mac and go ... ewww! or Wow! This would make my decision easier. That's possible ... but not likely. I'll probably think, "Well, what are the other issues that I need to consider?"

Well, so much for a short email. Again, any words of wisdom (even those that are horribly biased) would be very well received.

Thanks.

And here we go ...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And here we go ...

FANTASTIC- Looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks :welcome:........

And here we go ...
Woohoo, congrats! :hardy:

Why I like the apple store:

I can play with fun toys (read: iPad :D). I can talk to a sales-person who will give me good (and honest) advice. I'll be going with the Dell. The MBP is a pretty sweet little machine, but just not quite "this is how I want to spend an extra $1,000" sweet.

congrats musictomed!!! :D

our sdn group is growing and growing...

Is anyone else frustrated with The Daily and how it comes EVERYDAY!?!? Why can't it be the weekly or something like that.

Is anyone else frustrated with The Daily and how it comes EVERYDAY!?!? Why can't it be the weekly or something like that.

Well, I expect The Daily to be daily, but it is interesting how it seems to come out at random times during the day.:laugh:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :shrug:

CCLCM-folks, do you feel left out of all this banter too? :(

Us over in the CP haven't been given cwru e-mail addresses yet, btw.

OK - time for some CP-specific banter:

Yay! Summer Preceptors and Physician Advisors have been assigned! :soexcited:

(As anyone else virtually e-stalked their preceptors and advisors yet, or is it just me? :smuggrin:)

And here we go ...

Yay, congratulations and see you there!

(As anyone else virtually e-stalked their preceptors and advisors yet, or is it just me? :smuggrin:)

I think that's just you... I haven't got my assignment yet. :(

Most current students have set up a gmail filter that sends the Daily right to the trash.

musictomed, wow you're not playing around, those are some pretty in depth questions. Instead of answering them all (not sure I can) I'll just lend you my experience and explain why I chose the 15" MBP.

I've been a heavy PC user forever. I've done/do web design, and dabble in most of the Adobe creative suite, and like the odd programming work. I've found that my PCs serve fine for this but wanted to try something different. I've always been impressed with Apple's engineering. I get salty when I hear people marvel that they're innately superior, my opinion is more that they're just a product you can only buy in one very well controlled upper tier. (Mac OS only runs on Apple hardware, at least it is designed that way) Windows on the other hand can be put on just about anything and thus there is far less quality control hardware-wise. This makes PCs a cheaper option but it does sometimes come at a price if you don't pick an equally powerful hardware set.

Viruses? Can Mac's get them? Absolutely. Do they as frequently? Nope. It's all about marketshare. It's certainly possible for Mac OSX to be compromised but it really doesn't happen all too often simply because the market share isn't there. People will say its more secure because it's based on a BSD core, but unix isn't fool proof either, though perhaps significantly more so than earlier Windows versions (Pre Vista/7). In fact I would argue that based on the reason that many switch to Mac's, because of their ease of use, that this user base might be just as if not even more susceptible to malware.

Simply put, I chose the MBP because I wanted to try something new. I've used Mac's before and consider myself comfortable but still have a bunch to pick up on by actually owning one. It's also worth noting that if you're not familiar with OSX that there's such a large user base these days (even within our own class) that you'll have no problem finding help. Especially so since Mac users seem to be so proud of the fact that they're Mac users? :)

I gotta stop rambling, but if you can afford the price difference I would say take the chance and try something new. Afterall like you already know Mac's are capable of running Windows as well, a feature that will actually be set up for you prior to orientation. Still don't like it? Well they have pretty solid resale value.

Not just you!~~ I e-stalked mine toooo :DDD

All good points, dmex. I do have a little bit of Mac envy, but not $1,000 worth. That's what I realized, last night, when I went to the Apple store. With the exception if two or three "OSX only" programs, there isn't much that the Mac does that I need, right now.

But your insight is very helpful. I hadn't considered that the hold their value pretty well. If I decide to get one for personal use, it's nice to know it doesn't depreciate nearly as quickly as a PC.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.