2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Not sure if I'll be coming yet, but wow.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm okay since we're building up posts, I guess I'll ask these questions I've had for a while but didn't want to ask until I arrived on campus:

1. How much time do Case students have to study for the USMLE (ie: number of weeks between end of second year and start of third)?

2. When do students usually do research - is it typically done during the school year or are you all pretty busy with work?

3. Do people play computer games during medical school in their limited spare time as a way to relax or is this seen as somewhat of a childish pursuit?

Thanks. :)

1. You have up to 8 weeks alloted for boards study time. If you take less than 8, the rest is vacation or available to do an elective.

2. Research depends on how motivated you are. You can do it during the school year, you can do it during the summer between year 1 and 2, or you can just do it during your 4 month research block.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh when... OH WHEN!!!!! would I get that call...
I would just drop dead on the spot with heart attack if I did.. :xf:
*little cheer dance 4u* Did you decide to send a love letter?
I'll let you know in a month. I'm flying in on a redeye the day before orientation starts at CC. :p
No sleep for IHeartSleep? :(
If you make an eggplant, do you get chickenfruit? (Yeah, I know. That's a fairly chicken-centric question ... I suppose you might get lizardfruit, instead.)
I vote fishplant. Then it can be a side dish to the eggplant from whence it came. :thumbup:

Weekend prognosis looks 50% chance of apartment hunting in the rain :/ but high of 75 degrees sounds yay!
Thanks everyone for your advice on places. I'll put it to good use :D

And I found out you can't open a Key bank account without a Cleveland address. Oops. With luck, that will change by Sunday. ;)

oh when... OH WHEN!!!!! would I get that call...

I would just drop dead on the spot with heart attack if I did.. :xf:

I got called on Tuesday morning and Thursday morning. I actually rejected them the first time, changed my mind, and when another spot opened up they offered it to me. Still not 100% sure I'll be attending. Waiting for a financial aid letter and what-not.

OK - question for any current Case students.

If I choose Case I'll be in a long term relationship. How easy would it be to take a trip once or maybe even twice a semester to see my girlfriend during the first 2 years? I understand 3rd year would be basically impossible - but it'd be nice to know what the first two would be like. We'd either both be at SLU or I'd be at Case and she at BU...

Any stories, comments, advice, etc. are welcomed! :D

Thanks!

I got called on Tuesday morning and Thursday morning. I actually rejected them the first time, changed my mind, and when another spot opened up they offered it to me. Still not 100% sure I'll be attending. Waiting for a financial aid letter and what-not.

They have THAT many spots? So you told them you don't want to go there and then they called you AGAIN to make you attend? they must really like you...

OK - question for any current Case students.

If I choose Case I'll be in a long term relationship. How easy would it be to take a trip once or maybe even twice a semester to see my girlfriend during the first 2 years? I understand 3rd year would be basically impossible - but it'd be nice to know what the first two would be like. We'd either both be at SLU or I'd be at Case and she at BU...

Any stories, comments, advice, etc. are welcomed! :D

Thanks!

If I had the chance to go to school with my honey, I think I would do that. It would make med school more enjoyable because you could support and encourage each other (and have more shared experiences) and going to separate schools would probably create much frustration. Also, our initial gut reactions are often the correct ones for us.

That said, I don't know much about SLU, so I can't comment about that aspect.

Also, my opinion is somewhat biased in that I'm still on the waitlist for Case. I would definitely attend Case, but that's more because the curriculum aligns very well with the way I learn best (and I LIKE Cleveland).

So take that for it's worth.

As someone who attended SLU for both undergrad and graduate school... I would recommend stabbing your eyes out before going there. Students are not happy there and it's in a terrible area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest taking a look at the average price of tickets between CLE and an airport close to BU. Financially is it feasible? Maybe, maybe not, depending on your circumstance.

I would suggest taking a look at the average price of tickets between CLE and an airport close to BU. Financially is it feasible? Maybe, maybe not, depending on your circumstance.

For sure. Tickets are $270 round trip. I have et to get my fin aid packet - but I'm hoping there's some wiggle room (i found an apartment that's $300/mo with gas and water). Also, I may be teaching some live online classes through Kaplan during breaks, so that should help with $. Hopefully Case doesn't decide m parents will be contributing, b/c that would be a deal-breaker :-(

As someone who attended SLU for both undergrad and graduate school... I would recommend stabbing your eyes out before going there. Students are not happy there and it's in a terrible area.

Thanks for the input! I have a friend who attends the med school and he seems to like it. But the area is terrrible.

Also, I'm looking to match into specialized surgery and am REALLY interested in anything Cardio related. Research, surgery, transplants, you name it. So - I'm thinking being so close to Cleveland Clinic couldn't hurt. Also, Case seems to have awesome research opportunities, awesome deans, and incredibly happy students. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Also - I'm not a brilliant student, so I'm guessing school prestige wouldn't hurt come match date in 4'ish years.

They have THAT many spots? So you told them you don't want to go there and then they called you AGAIN to make you attend? they must really like you...

I suppose. I only reconsidered my rejection because 1 hour later my gf got a call from BU. I wouldn't have ditched her at SLU unless it was a better opportunity for us both - which is still to be decided...:(

Sorry for any confusion - lilyellow is my GFs ID and I was using her laptop.

If I were in your situation, I would choose Case and have your GF choose BU.

A few reasons come to mind:

1. SLU, in my opinion, having interviewed there as well, doesn't have the same draw / feeling / academic prowess of Case. The students at SLU just didn't seem to be happy and I was really unimpressed by the overall interview day. This may just be anecdotal, but the nail in the coffin for SLU was having a current 2nd year explain to me how to study / attend class just barely enough to scrape by in her classes, allowing her to party nearly nightly. SICK BRAH.

2. Me and my GF are parting ways (she's going to UoP Pharm) and I really think this time apart will either: Confirm our commitment and relationship or allow us to break apart if we weren't meant to last. It's not like you'll have day and night to frolic with each other like in undergrad anyway :laugh:

If I were in your situation, I would choose Case and have your GF choose BU.

A few reasons come to mind:

1. SLU, in my opinion, having interviewed there as well, doesn't have the same draw / feeling / academic prowess of Case. The students at SLU just didn't seem to be happy and I was really unimpressed by the overall interview day. This may just be anecdotal, but the nail in the coffin for SLU was having a current 2nd year explain to me how to study / attend class just barely enough to scrape by in her classes, allowing her to party nearly nightly. SICK BRAH.

2. Me and my GF are parting ways (she's going to UoP Pharm) and I really think this time apart will either: Confirm our commitment and relationship or allow us to break apart if we weren't meant to last. It's not like you'll have day and night to frolic with each other like in undergrad anyway :laugh:

I couldn't agree more with both of these. Also, Boston is fantastic! I would love to visit her there! Although I have thought of both these things before - it's really good to know others have the same ideas.

Also just got my financial aid from Case. Only 4K in Grad Plus to get max $. How fantastic. SLU is 25K in Grad Plus...how BLAH!

Also just got my financial aid from Case. Only 4K in Grad Plus to get max $. How fantastic. SLU is 25K in Grad Plus...how BLAH!

Great! Good to see someone got some financial aid >.>

SUBJECT CHANGE:

To you current Clevelanders, I'm looking through all my wardrobe at the moment, do I need like, snowshoes or something?

Or like, a trenchcoat type deal? Long johns? I was pleased with the 20ish degree weather when I interviewed, but I don't know how to handle much colder.

Is there like, a winter orientation seminar when school starts?

OMG CAN I SNOWBOARD TO SKOOLZ WHEN ITS SNOWING OUT!?!?!

To you current Clevelanders, I'm looking through all my wardrobe at the moment, do I need like, snowshoes or something?

Or like, a trenchcoat type deal? Long johns? I was pleased with the 20ish degree weather when I interviewed, but I don't know how to handle much colder.

Is there like, a winter orientation seminar when school starts?

OMG CAN I SNOWBOARD TO SKOOLZ WHEN ITS SNOWING OUT!?!?!

Well ... you might be able to snowboard TO school. But, unless you had a jet-pack on your snowboard, you probably wouldn't be able to snowboard back.:D

Of course, cross-country skiing is a different matter altogether.

As far as "what to wear" ... we might get a few weeks of near-zero weather each winter ... sometimes more, sometimes less.

If you're curious, here's a link to an interesting article from Forbes magazine about winter in Cleveland. Oh, and it gets a little ... well, a lot ... gray over the winter months.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/05/weather-snow-storm-lifestyle-travel-winter-snowfall.html

Did I mention that spring-autumn is beautiful, here?

No sleep for IHeartSleep? :(

I did a redeye to New York for interviews and slept ~2 hours on the plane...I think my bloodshot eyes and angry demeanor led to my waitlist there.

And I found out you can't open a Key bank account without a Cleveland address. Oops. With luck, that will change by Sunday. ;)

For the iPod Touch right? The deal goes till July 30th? Because I won't be in town until early July...From my understanding, I can make payments from my credit card to fulfill their requirements to get it, right? Don't really want to set up automatic credit card payments...

Wonder why Key does these deals. Although Bank of America did give me a free debit/ATM card. Love the Chase Freedom credit card--I've gotten $350 back in the last 3 years, although admittedly $100 was for opening the acct.

Last edited:
I did a redeye to New York for interviews and slept ~2 hours on the plane...I think my bloodshot eyes and angry demeanor led to my waitlist there.

For the iPod Touch right? The deal goes till July 30th? Because I won't be in town until early July...From my understanding, I can make payments from my credit card to fulfill their requirements to get it, right? Don't really want to set up automatic credit card payments...

I believe you are good till then. I opened up my Key Bank account locally already (I had one many moons ago, anyways). They were adamant that I couldn't do a bank transfer to meet the automated payment requirement.... :(. BUT...I will just auto bill pay for two months or so in Cleveland (or have my wife direct deposit two times at $100 each). Either way, the Ipod is mine... :smuggrin:

My GF is studying for her finals this weekend, so I'm condemned to two days of trolling forums and rolling around in my house.

Moving Date T minus two weeks, so I've started throwing away stuff. Also, I've been reading "Complications," our summer reading assignment, and WOW is this surgeon a negative Nancy. I guess cynical would be a more professional word, but it's a little depressing to read his outlook on practicing medicine.

Aside from those activities, I've really been digging Taco Bell. I like to rock two bean and cheese burritos for $2.17, which keeps me full during the afternoon! However, I don't suggest multiple bean burritos if you plan on entertaining later that day. (I do also eat real mexican food, don't fret).

Also, me and the GF have been stopping by stater brothers / albertsons / whatever and getting Banana boxes for moving. They're really sturdy, cheap, and most of the grocers seem more than willing to give them to us. Give it a try!

My GF is studying for her finals this weekend, so I'm condemned to two days of trolling forums and rolling around in my house.

Moving Date T minus two weeks, so I've started throwing away stuff. Also, I've been reading "Complications," our summer reading assignment, and WOW is this surgeon a negative Nancy. I guess cynical would be a more professional word, but it's a little depressing to read his outlook on practicing medicine.

Aside from those activities, I've really been digging Taco Bell. I like to rock two bean and cheese burritos for $2.17, which keeps me full during the afternoon! However, I don't suggest multiple bean burritos if you plan on entertaining later that day. (I do also eat real mexican food, don't fret).

Also, me and the GF have been stopping by stater brothers / albertsons / whatever and getting Banana boxes for moving. They're really sturdy, cheap, and most of the grocers seem more than willing to give them to us. Give it a try!

I wouldn't call Gawande a pessimist but rather a realist. Maybe you're too optimistic about medicine? :D

I wouldn't call Gawande a pessimist but rather a realist. Maybe you're too optimistic about medicine? :D

You're probably right, I'm pretty terrible at reading objectively. It seems like I'll either: really agree with the author and enjoy his work, or decide I don't agree with the author and pick apart everything he describes.

I like Gawande a lot. Before the assignment came out I had actually already read Complications, along with his other book Better. I guess Complications might come off a bit negative, but you have to consider that, as the title suggests, the topic of the book is about times when things don't go exactly right in medicine. More importantly though, he talks about what we can do to prevent these "complications" from occurring. Maybe not the most positive book, but certainly important I think. At least you'll have a lot to say when we "discuss the limits of anecdote as a method of teaching." :D And who knows? Maybe if you do a Sub-I at HMS, you can pick his brain a little bit :p.

And for what it's worth, I liked Better better :thumbup:.

...about to nod off from late (delayed) flight but...

I have (rented) an awesome house that I :love:! We now have an actual address in Cleveland :D it feels sooooooo wonderful to have that secured. Big woot!

Househunters beware, many houses that we looked at were absolutely craptacular. Leave your options wide open - ads can be quite misleading. I really found a gem, even if it is like ~15 mins drive, it's worth it.

My continued cheers for homoochan and Musictomed and others waiting! :thumbup:

...about to nod off from late (delayed) flight but...

I have (rented) an awesome house that I :love:! We now have an actual address in Cleveland :D it feels sooooooo wonderful to have that secured. Big woot!

Househunters beware, many houses that we looked at were absolutely craptacular. Leave your options wide open - ads can be quite misleading. I really found a gem, even if it is like ~15 mins drive, it's worth it.

My continued cheers for homoochan and Musictomed and others waiting! :thumbup:

Thank you, Auriga, for the kind words. And congrats, again, on your fantastic find!

I'll keep my fingers crossed I hear some good news, soon. (is there a smiley for crossed fingers, luck or patience?)

I'll keep my fingers crossed I hear some good news, soon. (is there a smiley for crossed fingers, luck or patience?)[/QUOTE]

:luck::xf::luck::xf::thumbup::thumbup::xf::luck::xf::luck:

:zip: That's about as close to patience as I could find...lol

If only I could cross my toes for you...

To the med students: do you put your middle initial in your name for your ID badge? Also, do we get our names embroidered on our coats? I see no mention of that in our ceremony flier that Christian just emailed us.

To the med students: do you put your middle initial in your name for your ID badge? Also, do we get our names embroidered on our coats? I see no mention of that in our ceremony flier that Christian just emailed us.

I heard you can get it embroidered by a student org the week after for $10.

:luck::xf::thumbup::thumbup::xf::luck:

:zip: That's about as close to patience as I could find...lol

If only I could cross my toes for you...

I'll take all of the positive energy I can get. I continue to remain hopeful and optimistic (is that redundant?).

:xf::luck::xf:

I was accepted to UC Davis today, so I will most likely be opening a spot up very soon. I love Case but Davis is awesome too and much closer to my family and significant other. Good luck to you all!

Name tag or hospital ID? I don't think our name tags had middle names, but honestly I don't remember. Mine for sure does not have my middle name.

I heard you can get it embroidered by a student org the week after for $10.

Yup!

Just made my acceptance to Case official!! w00t! Hard not to be excited 24/7 :D:D:D:D:D

31 days until classes start! First time I've been excited about school starting since the 3rd grade I think...:soexcited:

Just made my acceptance to Case official!! w00t! Hard not to be excited 24/7 :D:D:D:D:D

31 days until classes start! First time I've been excited about school starting since the 3rd grade I think...:soexcited:

Sick! See you in July!

I was accepted to UC Davis today, so I will most likely be opening a spot up very soon. I love Case but Davis is awesome too and much closer to my family and significant other. Good luck to you all!
T_T ...Formerwaitlistpal I'll miss uuuu! No, seriously, congrats on acceptance to what you had your heart set on. I know how awesome that feels :D Have a great time in CA!

Has anyone bought or attempted to buy a parking permit from the online system? The permits available to me to buy are not any of the garages near the school of medicine as far as I can tell. What garages/lots have previous medical students bought permits for? And also, what lot number is Veale

It seems that I am just generally confused about parking =).

T_T ...Formerwaitlistpal I'll miss uuuu! No, seriously, congrats on acceptance to what you had your heart set on. I know how awesome that feels :D Have a great time in CA!

Thanks! I'll miss you all too and Case in general. If it weren't for the proximity to my family it would have been a tough decision. Case admissions are SOOOOO much easier and nicer than Davis' and I really think Case's curriculum is Amazing! I'll still lurk on the thread though and I'm going to continue to read Complications, so I'll post here if I need someone to discuss it with. Thanks all for being awesome!

Sorry in advance...
This is super awesome and now on my ipod...
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamg hahahaha <3

Tho, technically, many of those are apes not monkeys. :zip:

Therefore, allow me to retort with a proper ape: chimpanzee.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp9Gm-aRe5A[/YOUTUBE]

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamg hahahaha <3

Tho, technically, many of those are apes not monkeys. :zip:

Therefore, allow me to retort with a proper ape: chimpanzee.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp9Gm-aRe5A[/YOUTUBE]

right....and I'm no Ornithologist, but some of those "ducks" weren't ducks either..and don't get me started on that "goose".

Boy, that woman DOES look surprised, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.