2009-2010 Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is everyone who just got them scheduled for September 4th?

Members don't see this ad.

is rescheduling to the very NEXT available date usually looked down upon? i'm on the 4th too, but i have a wedding to go to on the 3rd. and the interview starts at noon on the 4th, so i think it'll be impossible/too hectic to get a really early morning flight on the 4th.

is rescheduling to the very NEXT available date usually looked down upon? i'm on the 4th too, but i have a wedding to go to on the 3rd. and the interview starts at noon on the 4th, so i think it'll be impossible/too hectic to get a really early morning flight on the 4th.

That's something you just can't get out of. Call and reschedule. I'm sure it's not the first time it's happened to them, what with them saying be here at this time. No biggie. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm in the same boat. I have a flight that I scheduled in March, so I can't do anything about that. I would realllly like to be there for the first interview, since I love Baylor so much. I guess the next date will be 9/18 huh? It seems like it's every other Friday, from last year's thread? I hope so, because that would work for me.

So you guys say it is Friday? I was under the impression Baylor is one of the few schools to interview on Saturdays.

Maybe someone who followed Baylor's process last year can answer this - if I've been complete and reviewed for a while (~month) and didn't get an invite in tonight's batch, should I assume rejection or is there still a chance?

Maybe someone who followed Baylor's process last year can answer this - if I've been complete and reviewed for a while (~month) and didn't get an invite in tonight's batch, should I assume rejection or is there still a chance?

As far as I understand the process, they rank the applicants they have and then send them out 50 at a time. So yes, definitely still a chance.

From what I got out of what I read (like 4 pages before I got the email), is that they rank you after they review you and send out the highest rank people interviews first? What I mainly got out of it is there is a rank system for interviews. Some people had that message for a while before getting an invite. This is all my interpretation of last year's thread, so don't hold me verbatim. :laugh:

Interesting. To all who have received interview invites, when did you submit your secondaries? Early July? I just turned "complete and reviewed" this morning because I didn't submit my secondary until last week, and I'm wondering if my "late" secondary submission may have contributed to the lack of an interview invite for me.

Also, if I didn't receive an invite today, does that mean I shouldn't expect to get one for another couple weeks at the earliest? The reason I ask is because I see that Baylor holds interviews only every couple weeks, so do they wait every couple weeks to send out invitations themselves as well?

Last edited:
i was complete & reviewed by mid to late July. i am guessing that timing is the reason you weren't invited for an interview yet, but probably the next batch (apparently they interview every 1-2 weeks)

Interesting. To all who have received interview invites, when did you submit your secondaries? Early July? I just turned "complete and reviewed" this morning because I didn't submit my secondary until last week, and I'm wondering if my "late" secondary submission may have contributed to the lack of an interview invite for me.

Also, if I didn't receive an invite today, does that mean I shouldn't expect to get one for another couple weeks at the earliest? The reason I ask is because I see that Baylor holds interviews only every couple weeks, so do they wait every couple weeks to send out interviews as well?
I was complete 7/1, so quite early.

Members don't see this ad :)
how long did it take you guys to go from complete and under review to "has been reviewed by the committee" ?

Does anybody know if Baylor grades on a curve? Like, if all students get a High Pass/Pass, then that is ok...or do they only have a set amount of students who can receive top grades? I know UTSW is like this, but am wondering if Baylor is like this as well.

Mine was complete yesterday, reviewed today.. Anyone check last year's thread to see if interviews/rejects go out in waves?

Does anybody know if Baylor grades on a curve? Like, if all students get a High Pass/Pass, then that is ok...or do they only have a set amount of students who can receive top grades? I know UTSW is like this, but am wondering if Baylor is like this as well.
From ze Baylor website:
"The grading system in the Pre-clinical Curriculum is comprised of official letter grades:
P = Pass: Good academic work =/< 70%
F = Fail: An unsatisfactory performance - < 70%
I = Incomplete: Used when a complete evaluation cannot be rendered.
D = Deferred: Used when a student has an isolated deficiency in a component of a course – e.g. a student’s score on the National Board Examination was unsatisfactory.
All Pre-clinical electives and the IPS and PPS courses in Block 1-3 are graded P/F – Pass/Fail."

From ze Baylor website:
"The grading system in the Pre-clinical Curriculum is comprised of official letter grades:
P = Pass: Good academic work =/< 70%
F = Fail: An unsatisfactory performance - < 70%
I = Incomplete: Used when a complete evaluation cannot be rendered.
D = Deferred: Used when a student has an isolated deficiency in a component of a course – e.g. a student’s score on the National Board Examination was unsatisfactory.
All Pre-clinical electives and the IPS and PPS courses in Block 1-3 are graded P/F – Pass/Fail."

I saw this but didn't see anywhere if it was curved or not. Like if they have a set amount of people who get above 70%. I'm going to assume no I guess, because that would be something they would very likely explain if there was some sort of curve.

I saw this but didn't see anywhere if it was curved or not. Like if they have a set amount of people who get above 70%. I'm going to assume no I guess, because that would be something they would very likely explain if there was some sort of curve.
Oh, sorry I totally misunderstood you. Now I know what you're talking about. I would hope that any kind of pass/fail wouldn't set limits on how many people could pass, but maybe I'm naive.

Another interview invite here for 9/4....and another reschedule. Why do all TX schools seem to interview on fridays?! I don't want to have to reschedule!

Here's to hoping I'm in the 9/18 batch...

Congrats to those with invites!!

And to those wondering, my status is still:

Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

I submitted the secondary on 7/2, and have "been reviewed" since around 7/15 or so. Obviously, the 'being processed' status appears when a change is imminent (interview or rejection). So, hopefully I'm in the maybe interview later pile as opposed to the probably reject soon pile!!

Last edited:
seems like everyone with an interview invite thus far is from TX and states within the vicinity, no?

Do all of you with invites so far have amazing stats? Like MCAT above 34 and super high GPA?

So I called the office this morning to reschedule, and they were super nice. They were happy that I got an invite :laugh:. They told me to respond to the email I received, and I got a reply message in a couple of hours telling me the next available date was Sept 18th (like I thought) and asking if that would work for me. They seem pretty flexible/reasonable.
EDIT: Just now said they would send me another interview invitation about 3-4 weeks before the new date of 9/18, and I would confirm then.

Do all of you with invites so far have amazing stats? Like MCAT above 34 and super high GPA?
I guess my GPA is high, but MCAT :laugh: not so much.

Last edited:
congrats on the invite!!!! I doubt I'll ever get one from here.

Texas Medical Center can be hectic, especially the parking. But...you'll feel right at home b/c there's doctors everywhere you look. Good luck!!!

Texas Medical Center can be hectic, especially the parking.

lol, HUGE understatement, especially if you aren't familiar with Houston traffic. If they give you your choice of parking, I suggest parking inside the commons, right across the street from Baylor, on Bertner.

I didn't even submit mine until the end of July...I bet it'll be a longshot to see an interview invite for a while :/

I didn't even submit mine until the end of July...I bet it'll be a longshot to see an interview invite for a while :/

I'm in the same boat, just sent in my secondary this week.... can't help but hope they'll interview me soon, but I know it's incredibly doubtful!

does baylor send complete e-mails? i haven't heard anything from them

I'm in the same boat, just sent in my secondary this week.... can't help but hope they'll interview me soon, but I know it's incredibly doubtful!

Me too, just submitted 11 days ago.:( Hoping that my status changes to "being processed" soon!

I received a complete email... the day i submitted my secondary, and I had to mail in the secondary fee because pay pal wasn't working, and they still sent the complete email. If you haven't received one I might call.

check your status. It should say that you're complete and being reviewed by the committee.

Me too, just submitted 11 days ago.:( Hoping that my status changes to "being processed" soon!

I submitted only a couple days ago and I'm complete...

I received a complete email... the day i submitted my secondary, and I had to mail in the secondary fee because pay pal wasn't working, and they still sent the complete email. If you haven't received one I might call.

But I did not get an email :(

check your status. It should say that you're complete and being reviewed by the committee.

But I did not get an email :(

My file is completed despite not receiving an email. Why dont you check your status?

Good luck!

Sounds to me like recent submissions were not among the invites sent out.

Yea mine recently changed to :

Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.

But no processing in sight. Or interview :scared:

which airport is closer to BCM to fly into -- Bush or Hobby? And with the hotel list they gave, they listed hotels in the houston downtown area then hotels close to houston medical center? which hotels are gonna be closer to the admissions place (aka maybe walking distance)? i can't find any info on that anywhere.

which airport is closer to BCM to fly into -- Bush or Hobby? And with the hotel list they gave, they listed hotels in the houston downtown area then hotels close to houston medical center? which hotels are gonna be closer to the admissions place (aka maybe walking distance)? i can't find any info on that anywhere.

hobby is 20 min, iah is about 25. both vary due to traffic...

hobby is an easier airport to manage (smaller, not as crowded) although IAH may be cheaper due to more flight variability.

hobby is an easier airport to manage (smaller, not as crowded) although IAH may be cheaper due to more flight variability.

Hobby is a much better option. I've never heard of anyone driving from IAH to TMC in 25 minutes during normal 7-6 hours. It's also much easier to get to TMC from Hobby than from IAH.

there is no way you can get to BCM from IAH in 25 min. Trust me...I live near IAH so I would know. Not unless you're driving like 90mph. Hobby is the best way to go.

there is no way you can get to BCM from IAH in 25 min. Trust me...I live near IAH so I would know. Not unless you're driving like 90mph. Hobby is the best way to go.

my mom is the TSA manager for IAH...you gotta know how to drive. i guess that's how you know we've lived in NY. lol

Hey All,
I handed in my supplemental and had recs and MCAT cleared and I received an email saying my secondary was in and fee was paid but I never received a "Complete" email. Did you guys receive a "Complete" email.

Thanks a lot,

I am interested in Baylor's program because I have very close personal interest in one of their clinics they run/research affiliated with that. However, I am from Kansas, so would be OOS. I have a 4.0 GPA, and got a 31R on my MCAT (13BS, 10PS, and 8VR). So basically my verbal score is a pain in my application! I am involved as an RA in a clinical psychology research study along with a separate genetics research project, and was a CNA at a hospital for about 1 1/2 years. Am I stupid for wanting to apply at baylor?? I know that their average entering MCAT is much higher than my score... but I feel like my application is competitive everywhere but my verbal score. (already taken the MCAT twice, not taking it again). What do you all think?

I am interested in Baylor's program because I have very close personal interest in one of their clinics they run/research affiliated with that. However, I am from Kansas, so would be OOS. I have a 4.0 GPA, and got a 31R on my MCAT (13BS, 10PS, and 8VR). So basically my verbal score is a pain in my application! I am involved as an RA in a clinical psychology research study along with a separate genetics research project, and was a CNA at a hospital for about 1 1/2 years. Am I stupid for wanting to apply at baylor?? I know that their average entering MCAT is much higher than my score... but I feel like my application is competitive everywhere but my verbal score. (already taken the MCAT twice, not taking it again). What do you all think?

Wouldn't hurt to try. Remember that it's not purely a numbers game in the admissions process.

Also, I may be completely wrong about this...but I thought Baylor wasn't as concerned about IS/OOS as the other Texas schools are? Definitely apply!

Also, I may be completely wrong about this...but I thought Baylor wasn't as concerned about IS/OOS as the other Texas schools are? Definitely apply!

Baylor isn't as concerned as the other Texas schools are in that the other Texas schools have to take 90% in state applicants, Baylor does accept some state funding so they usually end up taking around 70% in state applicants.

But I totally think it's worth applying. If you really want to go, it doesn't hurt to apply, with the AMCAS fee and the secondary fee I think it'll be around $140 total, that's not too bad. And $140 is a low price to pay for reaching for a dream!

Baylor isn't as concerned as the other Texas schools are in that the other Texas schools have to take 90% in state applicants, Baylor does accept some state funding so they usually end up taking around 70% in state applicants.

But I totally think it's worth applying. If you really want to go, it doesn't hurt to apply, with the AMCAS fee and the secondary fee I think it'll be around $140 total, that's not too bad. And $140 is a low price to pay for reaching for a dream!

FWIW, I believe BCM is closer to 80% in-state (as far as accepted students), not sure the what final ratio is at matriculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.