2009-2010 Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Download my letters already!

I resubmitted my AMCAS after my UG uploaded my letters. BCM changed my status to under review by committee within 48 hours. Not sure if this applies to you, but if it does....resubmit the AMCAS.

Now I'm nervous...really hoping for some nontraditional love from Baylor!! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

With interview season around the corner, I thought some of you may be interested in reading about my experiences in the last application cycle:

http://rk.md/2008/bcm-interview-outcome/

Also, here's a pretty in depth and up-to-date comparison between UT Southwestern and Baylor Med:

http://rk.md/2008/bcm-vs-utsw/

The one thing I noticed about BCM more than any of the other Texas schools I interviewed at is their "bluntness." They flat out tell you after everyone's interview that they're going to rank all of us while we tour the facilities. They flat out asked me why they should take me. And they flat out refused to validate parking ($12, woo).

Thanks riskh for your help.

My status still say waiting for LOR. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My status still say waiting for LOR. :(
Just stay on top of it after you resubmit your AMCAS application. Oh, and pray that a hurricane doesn't interrupt this interview season. I was so excited last year when I got the interview invite. It was supposed to be on my 21st birthday (9/19), so I was hoping that'd bring some extra luck to get into my dream school. Unfortunately, hurricanes don't really care about the ambitions of pre-meds, and Ike pushed my interview back nearly a month. :laugh:

I resubmitted my app as everyoen said and now i am complete. My app is currently under review. :)

:luck::xf::luck::xf:

How long did it take you guys for them to receive the letters after you designated them / resubmitted? I designated my letters to be sent to MCW and they marked them as received the same day. It's already been 3 days since I designated to Baylor and their status site still says "we have not received letters from."

How long did it take you guys for them to receive the letters after you designated them / resubmitted? I designated my letters to be sent to MCW and they marked them as received the same day. It's already been 3 days since I designated to Baylor and their status site still says "we have not received letters from."

Took me a day after I resubmitted my AMCAS app.

Status updated to "Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

I hope they didn't laugh my app right into the trash.

Guess they'll be sending interview invites sometime in August? :xf:

Status updated to "Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

I hope they didn't laugh my app right into the trash.

Guess they'll be sending interview invites sometime in August? :xf:

Hey, me too. I wanna know now. Hmph.

So...you guys wrote about your favorite EC's for the additional essay? I STILL don't know what to write I rambled a bit about why I want to go to Baylor ... I dont know what else there is to say. Is this an optional-but-really-not-optional kind of essay?

So...you guys wrote about your favorite EC's for the additional essay? I STILL don't know what to write I rambled a bit about why I want to go to Baylor ... I dont know what else there is to say. Is this an optional-but-really-not-optional kind of essay?

Yes. Just write about something you are passionate about. It seems like an essay where they just want to get to know us more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... I have that too. Does anyone know when they start sending out invites?

No idea. :confused: My status has said just that for several weeks now.

I'm not sure when invites go out, but don't worry you'll be forgotten if you don't get an interview as soon as they do. You could receive an invite at any point, even later in the season.

Complete here, which is exciting since Baylor is my top choice.

I know this school is a long shot for me but I'm hoping one of my recommender's letter will help me get at least an interview. She used to be on the adcom for 4 years...so still praying. :xf:

inaugural sdn post! :D

these emoticons are sweet :cool::mad::love:!!

wow, I really need to get this application in. Only 2,000 characters and its been sitting in my inbox for a month!

With regard to the supplemental application essay prompt, I was thinking about writing about a grade dip in my sophomore year. I made a 4.0 in my freshman, junior, and senior years, but my sophomore year had three B's and a C among the A's. There were no "extenuating circumstances;" if I write this essay about my grades, I would only be able to attribute it to my inexperienced study methods. Think it's a worthwhile topic to write about?

To be honest, I can't think of any other topic that would be more significant to write about anyway. :oops:

With regard to the supplemental application essay prompt, I was thinking about writing about a grade dip in my sophomore year. I made a 4.0 in my freshman, junior, and senior years, but my sophomore year had three B's and a C among the A's. There were no "extenuating circumstances;" if I write this essay about my grades, I would only be able to attribute it to my inexperienced study methods. Think it's a worthwhile topic to write about?

To be honest, I can't think of any other topic that would be more significant to write about anyway. :oops:

Honestly, not really.

anyone heard anything from this school besides complete?

Honestly, not really.

Yeah, I agree.

How about I write about my maturity? At 19 years of age, I'm a somewhat atypical applicant, and I have a feeling that schools would like to know why I think I'm mature enough to enter medical school after just turning 20. I only briefly mentioned my maturity when I wrote in the Work/Activities section about the program that allowed me to enter college early, so maybe I can elaborate on it with this essay?

Again, just trying to find something substantial enough to write about.

Yeah, I agree.

How about I write about my maturity? At 19 years of age, I'm a somewhat atypical applicant, and I have a feeling that schools would like to know why I think I'm mature enough to enter medical school after just turning 20. I only briefly mentioned my maturity when I wrote in the Work/Activities section about the program that allowed me to enter college early, so maybe I can elaborate on it with this essay?

Again, just trying to find something substantial enough to write about.

Just my opinion but, that sounds like a much better topic.

Maybe I've been working at UT-H for too long but has anyone else heard about bcm losing alot of its 1st and 2nd year teaching faculty? Or about the possibility of it being bought out by rice? Or about other problems it has been having?

The reason I ask is that I've been hearing these rumors from various people over here at UT-H and wanted to know if there was validity to any of them or if they are just the product of the rather intense rivalry...

Maybe I've been working at UT-H for too long but has anyone else heard about bcm losing alot of its 1st and 2nd year teaching faculty? Or about the possibility of it being bought out by rice? Or about other problems it has been having?

The reason I ask is that I've been hearing these rumors from various people over here at UT-H and wanted to know if there was validity to any of them or if they are just the product of the rather intense rivalry...

I've heard about the Rice thing. Pretty sure that one's true.

This secondary is killing me!! If my scholarship covers tuition but not all of my rent, does that mean I should put "educational expenses paid by" scholarships at 100% or around 50%?? :rolleyes:

This secondary is killing me!! If my scholarship covers tuition but not all of my rent, does that mean I should put "educational expenses paid by" scholarships at 100% or around 50%?? :rolleyes:

IMO, rent isn't an educational expense. You'd have to live somewhere regardless of whether you were in school or not.

Go by your UG school's official COA, then take any grants as a % of that, loans as a %, etc. That keeps it simple and logical.

Just to clarify, BCM is not being "bought out" by Rice. There are still continuing talks of a merger, which would seemingly benefit both institutions. However, no one seems to have a clear answer when, or if, this proposed merger will take effect. If it does take effect, it will likely be a lengthy process in order to hammer out all the details, but hopefully there will be a definitive answer on this matter in a few months.

My application has been reviewed.They'll let me know soon.My heart is pounding!

that's exactly how I felt about a month ago when mine got processed. I had about a week straight of checking my email like 10 times per day, but I had to try to forget about it. I feel it is probably gonna take FOREVER!

that's exactly how I felt about a month ago when mine got processed. I had about a week straight of checking my email like 10 times per day, but I had to try to forget about it. I feel it is probably gonna take FOREVER!

Yeah, mine's said that for awhile. I figure they are waiting to let us know stuff in bigger groups.

I've been checking my email 10 times a day since I started this whole process back in June... how did you get past that?

I've been checking my email 10 times a day since I started this whole process back in June... how did you get past that?

This is going to sound beyond lame, but I actually have to schedule like 2x during the day when I allow myself to check my "med school app" email account. If I didn't I would totally go crazy!

This is going to sound beyond lame, but I actually have to schedule like 2x during the day when I allow myself to check my "med school app" email account. If I didn't I would totally go crazy!

Ohhh I like that... however, I don't know if I could stick by it... maybe once all my secondaries are submitted (only Baylor, WesternUCom, and TOURO NV left), then I will add structure... for now though i'd better check my email again :rolleyes:

I love how gmail automatically updates itself. I just keep it open all the time. No need for obsessive checking. :)
:thumbup:

:thumbup:

It seems as if last year's interview invites came out the first week of August...

Is anyone else having problems with paypal? After I put in my CC info, I get an error message so I'm not sure if it went through, or if I needed to be able to get back to the baylor app page.:confused:

Is anyone else having problems with paypal? After I put in my CC info, I get an error message so I'm not sure if it went through, or if I needed to be able to get back to the baylor app page.:confused:

Me too! I'm going to wait 30 minutes for a confirmation....

Now it's telling me that neither of my credit cards can be used. wtf?:mad:

so strange.... I haven't tried again yet, but I will let you k now how it goes...

haha man i went short and sweet...607 characters for their question...feel like most of the stuff that's important is on amcas anyways...

Hey has anyone's Paypal transaction taken a week to show up on the status check? My payment looks like it went through, but my status hasn't reflected it yet.

Hey has anyone's Paypal transaction taken a week to show up on the status check? My payment looks like it went through, but my status hasn't reflected it yet.

Mine took exactly a week to be marked complete.

cool. sounds good. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.