worth it to go public as IS Ohio? (OSU v. Top ten)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aloepathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

As most of you know, Ohio makes it very easy to become an IS resident, and as a result of this the tuition for Ohio State is much higher for in state residents than comparable public schools. Do you think the roughly 15k per year you save going to OSU is worth it compared to a top tier school like Michigan, Columbia, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

In all seriousness, I would be surprised if Michigan and/or Columbia don't give you grant money/ scholarship money that would make up most, if not all, of this difference.

I personally didn't care for OSU a whole lot and I know that scholarship/grant money is hard to find there. I would choose mich/columbia

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's assume there's no money, so the difference comes out to around 15K per year (60k total), what then?

If you're sure you're going to do academic medicine and/or research, I'd pick the top 10 school. Otherwise, cheaper is better.

I'm actually pretty sure I want to go into private practice. Does that change things?

In all seriousness, I would be surprised if Michigan and/or Columbia don't give you grant money/ scholarship money that would make up most, if not all, of this difference.

I personally didn't care for OSU a whole lot and I know that scholarship/grant money is hard to find there. I would choose mich/columbia

Really? I was under the impression that OSU gives out more money than most schools. Many schools give only need-based aid, but OSU gives both need and merit-based scholarships. A bunch of students I talked to during my interview mentioned that they received money from the school, and I was given a four-year in-state tuition scholarship before I even submitted my FAFSA.

As a qualifier, I haven't seen any stats on this, nor did I apply to any "top tier" schools, so I'm not sure how they compare...

I think they do give some scholarships but they seem to be in small denominations. 5k a year is helpful, but I wouldn't call it a "scholarship."

I'd probably go with the more expensive school if the difference is 15k.

This is of course assuming that you actually like the more expensive school.

I think they do give some scholarships but they seem to be in small denominations. 5k a year is helpful, but I wouldn't call it a "scholarship."

"some" = 1 in every 10 students gets an admission scholarship, which goes as high as the full tuition, and 1 in every 5 gets a need-based scholarship (http://medicine.osu.edu/futurestudents/financialaid/scholarships/COMscholarships/#admission). OSU gives the following scholarships (not including need-based): Endowed Academic Merit, Excellence Awards, Oustanding Academic Merit Scholarships (Dean's, Achievement, Schmidlapp, Maves, and College Merit Scholarships), and the Admission's Dean Scholarship.

True, some of the scholarships are smaller, but of the eight schools I was accepted to, Ohio State was the only one who seemed to offer as many scholarship options. Columbia's website didn't seem to offer anything but outside and need-based scholarships, but aloepathic probably knows more about this than I do. I do agree that 5k a year is not quite a scholarship, but it's something, and personally I was surprised that OSU offered me the full tuition--other schools didn't offer me squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.