Why So Much "Hate" Against RVU on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lodo.owl

Above all, be human.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-Med, GPA 3.9 (Freshman though, so, doesn't mean much), RVU CO & NYIT Westbury are my two top interests as of right now. Noticed that I've barely seen any threads about NYIT, and RVU threads are overwhelmingly almost always negative? (Not LECOM level, but nonetheless...)

I'm assuming this is due to RVU's for-profit status, which I don't see much of an issue with at all if they're performing well academically. So why all the hate?

Members don't see this ad.

Really? I feel like I've seen mostly positive things over the last couple of years. Initially I do believe the for-profit status was a point of criticism but they have since proven to graduate competent students who match pretty well.

Reactions: 5 users
I thought most people have a hard on for RVU ok this site

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I feel like I've seen mostly positive things over the last couple of years. Initially I do believe the for-profit status was a point of criticism but they have since proven to graduate competent students who match pretty well.

Maybe I'm looking at older posts, mostly I saw users claiming the school was a "controversy in of itself" (regarding for-profit), and I heard some students had issues with rotations, though honestly I'm not versed. Could be outdated concerns.

You're probably looking at older posts. RVU has become one of the highest regarded DO programs on here.

There were some concerns on here about the for-profit status when it first opened, but those concerns have mostly disappeared.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I'm looking at older posts, mostly I saw users claiming the school was a "controversy in of itself" (regarding for-profit), and I heard some students had issues with rotations, though honestly I'm not versed. Could be outdated concerns.

Far outdated. Has IMO the best match list amongst DO medical schools. I'd go there in a heart beat.

You must not have read a lot of RVU threads if you found that they are “overwhelmingly almost always negative.” Many students would love to have the opportunity to attend such a well-respected DO program, despite its for-profit status.

You must not have read a lot of RVU threads if you found that they are “overwhelmingly almost always negative.” Many students would love to have the opportunity to attend such a well-respected DO program, despite its for-profit status.
Actually RVU had a really bad rep initially for being for-profit. Now they kill the game.

This thread really makes no sense. OP should've done a little research before making such a claim. As others have stated, RVU is a very solid school.

This thread really makes no sense. OP should've done a little research before making such a claim. As others have stated, RVU is a very solid school.

Actually, I'm a huge fan of RVU and I think that they, like you said, are a very solid school. The point of my post was to ask why SDN appeared to have it out for RVU initially, although that has definitely been cleared up. No where did I claim to think that they were a poor school.

Actually, I'm a huge fan of RVU and I think that they, like you said, are a very solid school. The point of my post was to ask why SDN appeared to have it out for RVU initially, although that has definitely been cleared up. No where did I claim to think that they were a poor school.
Yeah next time you see a post like that see if it was from 2013 or prior, cuz those ones definitely had a lot of hate. And then there was a shift. I feel like and then from 2015 on SDN has been very much in favor.

I haven't done the research but I'm fairly certain they're the only school right now with the cut suit technology. I may be totally wrong though. Regardless, they have established themselves as one of the top DO programs in the country based on board scores and match rates.

I haven't done the research but I'm fairly certain they're the only school right now with the cut suit technology. I may be totally wrong though. Regardless, they have established themselves as one of the top DO programs in the country based on board scores and match rates.

Oklahoma State has multiple cut suits, yale, and harvard have one as well I believe

There was skepticism of RVU initially, but it's a good school to attend. A lot of what you're seeing is probably old information.

Actually RVU had a really bad rep initially for being for-profit. Now they kill the game.

Imagine that, many aren't surprised considering how many programs claim to be non-profit while making a killing and unethically increasing tuition every year.