why people DON'T emmigrate???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGarfield

Fat Cat of the house
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
I have had my share of the age old rotten process of Arranged Marriage drama.

I have met atleast 4 of medico gals who firmly believe that they Did NOT want to leave India at any cost!!! (Not that we were compatible in any other way!!)

Most of them justified their decision with the reason that they wanted to Serve Their Own People- which atleast according to me is Bull****!

I wonder whether the real reason is the Idealism as they claim, or fear of adjustment in a new environment and need to go through all the qualifying process again- which may include examinations and all!???!!!!??

Members don't see this ad.

I think both reasons are justified. Why should women go to a new environment where they have to be model "bahu's" while going through the training process all over again? These days if you are well educated, you can make a great life for yourself in India albeit at indian salaries, but a really good life nonetheless. You can also stay close to your friends and family. I applaud such women who choose to control their own environments rather than marry for a green card just to show society that they migrated to America.

well, it was not about marrying a Green Card holder. I was talkin about an Indian citizen who wanted to work for emmigration to Australia for himself too. And there's no issue of the Adarsh Bahu involved- noone expects a Bahu who's gonna fly away with the boy in some months to be an Adarsh Bahu- housewife type. If one needs an Adarsh Bahu- Tulsi type- then one should better search back a Home Science Graduate from a town!! The expectations from a Medico Bahu are not all the same- Indian society and Indian Saas' are changing dear.
And about leading a pretty good life in India- I would not argue! It's all about lifestyle and personal growth- and different people would get satisfied at different levels of achievements in their lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they are only saying that so that if they aren't able to emmigrate (how is it different from immigrating?) to another country, no one will know that they wanted to in the first place. Girls can often say one thing and really mean something else.

NRAI2001 said:
Maybe they are only saying that so that if they aren't able to emmigrate (how is it different from immigrating?) to another country, no one will know that they wanted to in the first place. Girls can often say one thing and really mean something else.
Immigrating is coming to a new country. Emmigrating is leaving your country for another one.

sunny123 said:
Immigrating is coming to a new country. Emmigrating is leaving your country for another one.

So they basically mean the same thing, but from different perspectives.