Where should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ps342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a premed at an American university, and am trying to make a hard decision.

My heart is set on leaving the US and practicing medicine in India. I want to finish the undergrad degree I am working on right now, too. So, should I stay in the US or go to India for medical school after I finish this degree?

I don't know whether it's worth getting an MD in the US because of the cost - because I won't be working here, I really won't be able to pay off the loans for a long time. I would also lose a lot of time. A US residency would be meaningless apart from looking good on the "resume." But I would probably have to do it.

Of course, if I go to medical school in India, it might end up being the same amount of time. But that time will have been spent more meaningfully considering my goal. Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
where are you set on practicing ? are you planning on eventually going back to the US for residency? if you are dead set on practicing in India then your US MD would probably be of no use...but then again if u attend a medical school in india do u have an idea for specializing in any branch ?? or ur just set on practicing as a MBBS doctor?

am a private medical college student from india too..getting into a private medical college in India is also damn expensive !! if u want any more details about private medical colleges just PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to practice in India, preferably in Rajasthan or Gujrat. I don't want to practice in the US. I would not go back to the US for residency, I would look for a compulsory internship 1y internship in India.

I am interested in pathology, anesthesiology and nephrology as specialties. I'm not sure how specialization works in India though, or whether these are offered...?

I would say if you do your residency from there and come here chances are you will be well accepted here and if you dont like it you can always go back to US so you will have a back up plan, my honest suggestion to you is to do it from there and then come here, your MD from there is defiantly valid here, US MD's are recognised world wide and its always better to have A back up plan