Should I go to India for MBBS as a NRI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electricflash91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I just had some question? Does anybody think I would have a chance for MBBS in India(preferably South India, such as Kerala)? Right now I am a freshman with a 2.8 gpa here studying in the United States. I really don't want to spend the 11 years to become a doctor, I heard in India it is only 5 and a half years, but it is 10x harder. People kept on telling me if you worked hard, you will succeed. I don't know. Anybody have suggestions. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind taking extreme challenge of getting residency in the US, foreign med schools shouldn't matter much. I have done extensive research before choosing US college as I also had the notion of wasting so many extra years. What I found that most Indian med schools will admit with 2.0 GPA against heavy capitation fee, sure you can get a proxy to sit for you USMLE, get question papers leaked out ahead of time but at the end have to realize American Med Assoc is no fool. They keep track of everything and that's why admissions in the US med school is so difficult. Laws are changing drastically, and my suggestion would be to do thorough research of after math once you have the MBBS degree and if you chose to come back to the US. Because getting MBBS degree in India for NRIs is a piece of cake....

Hey guys,

I am currently a 12th grade student studying in the US. However, I'd like to settle and work in my home country, India, after my studies. My plan is to go into medicine (specialty undecided at this point). I wanted to stay in the US and earn my MD degree from a medical college but return to India to complete my residency. However, what will this MD degree from the US equal to in India? Will I have to take any exams before my residency? I want to somehow how avoid doing the three extra years for an MS (like MBBS students).

In addition, we all know how expensive it is to study and adjust to a new lifestyle (especially for NRIs going into medicine in India)! I want to find out which medical colleges in southern India accept NRIs (since I'm somewhat familiar with the languages) and require the lowest expenses (though I have a feeling they're all ridiculously expensive...). I am a fairly good student but I like to know my options :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I am currently a 12th grade student studying in the US. However, I'd like to settle and work in my home country, India, after my studies. My plan is to go into medicine (specialty undecided at this point). I wanted to stay in the US and earn my MD degree from a medical college but return to India to complete my residency. However, what will this MD degree from the US equal to in India? Will I have to take any exams before my residency? I want to somehow how avoid doing the three extra years for an MS (like MBBS students).

In addition, we all know how expensive it is to study and adjust to a new lifestyle (especially for NRIs going into medicine in India)! I want to find out which medical colleges in southern India accept NRIs (since I'm somewhat familiar with the languages) and require the lowest expenses (though I have a feeling they're all ridiculously expensive...). I am a fairly good student but I like to know my options :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey, even though if you have an MD degree, you still have to go through the Indian Examination(Post-graduate) and do PG in the field you wish to choose all over again. No matter what, you have to do PG all over again.

I would write to some of the reputed hospitals to get an answer.