i want to go to india

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwantochngindia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am an NRI living in America. I have lived in America since i was nine years old. Now I am 16 years old. My dream is to become an IAS officer. I have wanted to be an IAS officer since my childhood. But, in order to become an IAS officer, I need to go to India and get a degree from a college in India. Do I stay in America or do I go to India and become a doctor by studying MBBS? I lived there for nine years so I know what the load is like. I was one of the top students in the school when I lived there. Ever since I came to America I have been in a dilemma of what I want to be when I am an adult. If I go to India I will study for the IAS exam while I am studying MBBS. I don't like the American school system as I have been bombarded by homework ever since I came here and school STARTS AT 7:20 AM IN THE MORNING. If you ask me I think that is just not a civilized time to start school. I have to go to sleep at 8:00 pm and wake my self up at 6:00 am. It is terrible

Frankly, I don't do most of my homework because it is busy work that I don't learn anything from. Here are my grades and scores:

1) I have a 3.85 GPA ( weighted) with out doing homework and will take the SAT in march. I will get a 2150 or above on it and I know this because I have took the college board's practice tests and got 2200 and above on them.

I am asking this because I am tired of the school system in America. In order to tell you the truth, i am pissed. I love India. I want to study there because I want to help India grow as a country an be a part of its growth.I would probably study in a rural place as i love villages and hate the robotic look cities have.

Is it a good idea for me to go to India for MBBS? What are the tuition rates there like? Is it better for me to stay in America? When does Medical school start in the morning in India?

Do you guys know the tuition cost of Kamineni medical college in Hyderabad?

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you get lots of homework and busy work here, you're in for a big surprise with MBBS in India. Over there, you have innumerable record books and assignments that are required to be submitted, and most of their content is useless and outdated. It's pure busy work. You will not learn a single thing, except how to copy from previous students' record books.

My college starts classes at 7:30 AM. Most colleges start between 7:30 and 8:30. Being late means being marked absent, and getting kicked out of class.

If starting class early and getting homework is something that affects you so much, India is NOT the place for you to be. You can start your classes later in the day in the US, and the assignments given here have an educational purpose.

I suggest you go to undergrad in America, and figure out what you actually want to do with your career, rather than basing your life decisions on what you remember of India as a child.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is, I have lived in India and went to a school until i was 9 years old. I was told that college starts at around 8:00 to 9:00 in India. My parents went to college there so they know.

From my experience in India: I used to just copy down notes from the textbook but in India I wanted to learn more as I was copying things down. The homework here actually goes into your GPA. While in India, it does not. Of course, if you do not do your homework everyday in India then the teachers will hate you but the only thing that matters is your semester and final exams, right? And besides, I would not mind doing a lot of homework if I could wake up late in the morning. I can't even stay awake in school waking up at 6:00 in the morning. The reason I am attending India is not because I want to finish school "early" but because I love it there. I mean, I could stay here and get into a good college with my sat score but I do not know, American schools have killed me.
Another question: For the IAS exam, what subjects would be helpful for me to choose if I were to do MBBS?

BTW, what college do you attend in India? How much did the tuition cost?

If you're 16, I'm sure your parents went to college almost 2 decades ago. India has changed a lot, and you can't expect it to be the same as when you were there 7 years ago.

If your teachers have a bad opinion about you for coming late, falling asleep, or not turning in assignments, they will make sure to fail you in your papers. That's worse than having your assignment count for something.

If you love India, and want to be there, why the debate? Just go. You're not going to find someone on here that thinks homework and early hours are valid reasons to make that decision. No one is going to give a crap how sleepy you are when you are in a hospital. They'll tell you to grow up and stop complaining or making excuses.
Don't bother thinking of money as a decision making factor. Tuitions these days run above 100 grand, not including travel and living expenses.

I went to college there, so I know, too.

I didn't mean to come off as stubborn , I just wanted to see if I could do it in India. It is still an on-going debate about me going to India and leaving my parents. That is what is holding me back. I have never been away from my parents. You have REALLY been a huge help to me by answering my other questions. Thanks

But, can you explain to me about the college experience in an Indian Medical School?

What is your daily routine? That is, when does college start and end? How much time do you have after school to have other activities? How long does homework take to complete each day? When do you go to sleep?

And on Sunday, Can you go outside, like to watch movies and eat some samosas, or is the administration restrictive on going outside?

Are there activities that you can part take in such as cricket or is everyone too busy to play?

I workout here so is the weight room, you know the GYM, good or does it have the minimum equipment to call itself a GYM? Does it have a bench and some dumbbells?

And, last but not least, is ragging prevalent? Do the "raggers" target NRI's in specific? I am fluent in Telugu so will they not rag me because I can talk in the native language and "blend in"

I want to go to India but I do not know how it will be there. I haven't gone to school there in 7 years. I just want to know if it is worth it for me to leave my parents and go there.

There is another thread in this same sub-forum directed to all NRIs thinking of attending medical school in India. It is highly informative of the lifestyle there, and should help give you an idea of the obstacles you will have to overcome. All your questions are also answered in that thread.

I went to MS Ramaiah in Bangalore. We started class around 8, ended classes around 4, and had half hour for lunch in between. Once you pass 1st year, those hours can go longer, depending on your clinical rotations. Class is Monday through Saturday.

I can't comment on how long your homework takes every day. If you do it on your own, perhaps several hours. Most kids copy their seniors' record books, so that decreases the time you spend. I need 8 hours of sleep, so I was in bed by 10 or 11, and up by 6:30. You need to study more, coming from an American education system, because you will not be up to par with the other students.

You get time to yourself, but not as much as you would with the American college experience, which is amazing.

Ragging is prevalent, no matter what language you speak, despite what school officials say.

Go to India for the Summer, and imagine living there every day on your own. Visit some schools and sit in their classes. That might help you figure out the best decision for you.

Oh, yeah. If i go to India I am not planning on returning for the USMLE or what ever. That will be a terrible idea. Is it a good idea in your opinion?

How much time do you get to enjoy some activities such as going out and playing cricket per week? you said the kids in India have not as much as America but you didn't mention how mucj.

And, do you guys have a gym and is it good?

Is it possible to study for IAS while studying MBBS?

Hun, I don't know if you are asking these questions because you are young and immature, or if you actually think these things are important? I don't mean to be condescending, I'm actually confused.

What in the world do play time and a gym have to do with your decision to leave America and live in India for the rest of your life??? And if you want to be an IAS officer, why would you even contemplate coming back to America?

A student makes his own enjoyment time, based on his capabilities. You have work to do, and you figure out the most efficient way to get it done. If you want to screw around, you will find the time. If you want to study all day, it will feel like there are not enough hours in the day.
When comparing the US and India, college life in the US is much more laid back, you have lots more time and better gym facilities.

Most college campuses in India won't have gyms. If they do, they will most likely have equipment that is not based on electricity, and relatively outdated. There are better gyms available outside, for monthly memberships, but are costly.

I have no idea what it takes to study to be an IAS officer, but I know a kid in my class who started studying for it after MBBS, not during.

I believe you need to figure out what you actually want, why you want it, and what is most important for your future. You also need to go through that thread I mentioned.

I think having a gym in the school is important which is why i asked because it will ultimately impact my decision.

Do you think taking a sports medicine course along with human anatomy and ap biology and ap physics in 12th will help me in medical school?

Does the admissions in India take less money if you have a good SAT score and certificates from the US public health service?

Any gym from an American university will outshine even the paid gyms in India. Still, if you are bent on it, check out the campuses in India before actually applying. I only know what the gym at Ramaiah was like, and can't say about the others.

Your AP courses in high school will benefit your college application, but won't help you for medical school, except in building a good foundation. Even if you take AP Bio, you will have to take Bio in undergrad as a pre-med major. Taking those classes may help introduce you to the subject before doing MBBS in India, but the method of learning in America is very different. Don't waste your time on erroneous courses, just focus on the required subjects, and excel at them.

In India, they don't care what your SAT scores are like or what certificates you have. They will find every way possible to squeeze every penny out of you. Again, don't let money affect your decision.

are you in America now? Or are you still in India? In your opinion what are the best medical schools in Andhra Pradesh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you currently in a residency program?

Can you link me to a topic which talks about AP schools.

Did you like your experience in India? Is it possible for NRI's to get college first in the final exams? Can you name some of the best or worst things that happened to you when you were there?

I would just like to know your experience. I looked at other people's experiences like dggopal and the guy who hates Sri Ramachandra Medical college but I would like to know your experience because everyone's experience is different.

Is it hard for you to prepare for the USMLE'S? Do you think you can get a get speciality?

You want to go to MBBS school and you hate waking up early? That sounds like a good combination. If your parents have a ton of money then you should consider going back to india otherwise just be here.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I sense a little sarcasm in your first sentence. Is it because all medical colleges start early in India? When does your college start?

I don't understand... I explained to you in the earlier posts that school in India starts early, no excuses. Premedengineer is trying to drive that point home. You WILL have to wake up early.

My experiences are posted in the same thread as Dggopal's. Please read through the whole thing!
The USMLEs are obviously hard, and even harder if you are a foreign graduate. Why are you even asking if your plan is to stay in India as an IAS officer?

I think you really need to take some time to figure out what you want and why you are posting such contradicting statements. Take your SATs, read through all the threads in this subforum, and then come back.

i asked that because I just wanted to know where you are in your life. I was just a bit interested. Not because I wanted to stay in America

It starts at 8. Go to universities in America. Schedule classes according to your own time. And is your Hindi any good? People will make fun of you. And ragging. Have you even considered that? Take a paper right out the pros and cons. It will help.

I don't speak Hindi. It is not my mother tongue. I speak Telugu which is why I plan on attending a college in Andhra Pradesh. I can speak it fluently and I can also write it well and read it well.

The thing about waking up in America is that the sun isn't even out at 8:00 sometimes and that makes it really hard to get up. But I went to India over the summer and I couldn't sleep past 7 on any day because the sun is bright on my face and everyone is already up around me and screaming.

And besides, starting at 8 is better than starting at 7:20 in America. And, sure you can schedule your own classes in America but they usually start really late or really early. some start at 7 some start at 11. I think 11 is too late to start school. I think the perfect time is like 9:00.

Where do you go to college? Do you get ragged a lot?

Keep point being summer. Its the same in winter. The sun doesnt rise early. And you are what in High School? You cant be that picky. High schools in India start at 7 am. And have you tried talking to your parents?

As far as I know, high schools in india start at 8:45. i went to india this summer and went to my cousin's high school.

My school in America starts at 7:20. that is a 1 hour 25 minute difference.

And, my parents are the people who said it might be an option. but, they feel good about me staying in America becuz i will be close to them.

WOW!!!! you guys said school in india starts in between 7:30 to 8:00. But, I asked my uncle who lives in India and works as a Professor in a medical college and he said school goes from 9:00 to 1:00 and a lunch break 2:00 to 4:30. Are you guys writing all this just to make me scared? I mean you guys make it sound like you have to wake up early but that is obviously not the case.

And the guy who said high schools start at 7:00 AM is completely wrong as they too start at 9:00 AM. C'mon guys. I come onto this forum to learn more about med school in India and you guys exaggerate things so much to make it seem like India is terrible.

It's sort of insulting to imply that people on this forum would say things just to scare you. Some immature people come along every so often, but for the most part people in this India sub-forum speak from personal experience.

I have no idea what college your uncle is a professor in, but if you've found a place with a schedule that works for you, then go for it. You have have many threads here that give an accurate description of life and school in India, and the problems go far beyond class timings and gyms. I still don't think you've actually gotten around to reading them.

School goes from 9-1 with a lunch break from 2-4:30? That sounds unbelievable. What happens between 1 and 2? People sit around picking there nose? And after 4:30? Then what? You go back to class until 7?

Look, if you want people to agree that your reasons for wanting to go are valid, that's not going to happen. If you want people to agree that you are making your decision with full knowledge and wisdom, that is also not going to happen.

I do, however, agree that you have already made your decision to go and are looking for ways to validate it.

i am just saying that that is what my uncle said. and, from 1-2 it is a lunch break. I say that you guys were trying to scare me because you said every school starts in between 7 and 8. And all i am saying is that is not true. and the high schools starting completely untrue. i think that even the most rigorous schools do not start that early because an average high school starts at 9.

I am not trying to insult you guys but you and the other person who commented said that IF i go to india then i would HAVE TO WAKE UP EARLY. And yeah these things might seem small to you but i believe they are very important.

I don't think there is any advice on here that anyone can give you, because I don't think you want it. You just want someone to say "Go to to India. It is the best option for you. You will not have homework and will not have to wake up early. Gyms there are decent."

I have compared my life during medical school in India, and my brother's life in medical school in America. I've done undergraduate in America and then gone to medical school in India, so I know the difference between the two education systems.

Seriously, though, you've made up your mind, so there is no point in discussing this. There is nothing wrong with going to study in India, but you should go there with full disclosure of what to expect, and be true to yourself about why you are going.

Do yourself a huge favor and really spend a day thinking through these things, and going through the topics in this forum. You haven't even given your SATs yet, make sure you aren't choosing this route as a way to run away from the hard work you need to put in towards going to college in the US. That hard work will only increase if you go to India, believe me.

Also, if you plan on becoming an IAS officer and staying there, then I don't know why you are here in the first place. There would be no doubts in your mind. Clearly there are doubts, which is why you are posting. Figure your stuff out before you go to India and realize you have gone for all the wrong reasons! It will be too late then!

Is it even possible for an Indian citizen to apply for NRI quota? I am an indian citizen living in America so I just wanted to know. Do I have to write a general Examination because i am an Indian citizen?

You're going in with a high school dimploa from the US, so you will apply under NRI quota. I had a few students in my class apply the same way. You should not be required an entrance exam if you apply under NRI quota.

I have another set of questions.

I heard there some people are awarded gold medals if they get top scores in all or one of the subjects. Is this true?

I heard there some people are given money if they get top scores in all or one of the subjects. Is this true? And, if true, how much money do they earn?

Are there national examinations that you can participate in to get scholarships or awards or money while you are in med school in India?

And, after MBBS, if I choose to be in India, is there a way that i can get a free seat at any of the colleges in India?