Poll ~ Where do i go for med school? - the logical choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one is better? (Read below)

• Total voters

sga430

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this chart is only for those trying to decide where to go to med school. not meant to discourage those already in med school.

there r 2 paths and 2 charts. one is the logical choice, the other is isnt. tell me which one which. this should make for a lively debate although in my opinion it is clear cut.

Path 1- the desi path

Go to India for med school --> possibly save some time but have poor college experience ---> spend a year or 2 taking the boards and working for free as an extern -----> not matching or end up getting family med residency in 1 horse town (with no pani puri) or inner city slum ---> spend rest of your life doing a speciality you dont like

(of course those who get double 99s may fare better.)

Path 2a - staying in the US

try getting into american med school (by doing undergrad) ----> get into US med school or osteopathy school -----> get into ortho or residency in california (or any other desired residency with location) and feel bad for imgs stuck with family med in nome alaska

Path 2b - staying (or trying) to stay in the US

try getting into us med school ---> don't get in and go to europe or carribean and have a blast ----> do rotations in the us and get US LoRs ---> possibly end up like path 1 but in a better position due to usce(yet u atleast gave urself a chance of going to the US)

Which is better Path 1 or Path 2????

Members don't see this ad.

I of course chose Path 2. Of course 15 years ago i made the illogical choice by taking Path 1. In the end it worked out for me all though i took way longer than a us med student.

Path 2 is not guaranteed but atleast you give yourself a shot at a us med school and the option of derm. Path 1 you deny yourself this opportunity.

Path 2 could be modified with those who didnt get in the us who refuse to go to the carribean or europe fearing a desiless experience (those med schools r desiful.) you could go to india if u dont get into med school. of course it may end up being 4 years undergrad with 5.5 years in india. however i feel this is ok as u tried and didnt deny urself the chance.

I am curious as to why any1 who is clinically sane would choose Path 1 and rob themselves of both a great college life and a good carreer.

What I have told you above I was ignorant of when i made my decision. Please dont ignore logic.

16 views yet no one took the poll. please take the poll.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahah, who said you have a blast in the carribean!? you don't get to live in posh hotels like its a vacation...and you have to be prepared for hurricanes all the time.

oh, and you have to work harder than in a us med school, they are stricter b/c they know the students aren't as smart as those on the mainland.

I'll vote for path 2a.

hahahah, who said you have a blast in the carribean!? you don't get to live in posh hotels like its a vacation...and you have to be prepared for hurricanes all the time.

oh, and you have to work harder than in a us med school, they are stricter b/c they know the students aren't as smart as those on the mainland.

i guess ur right. however even if the carribean is 10x worse than india it is still worth a chance to try and get a us med school. if u fail u can spend the extra 3 semesters and still go to india.