What's with all the "Dropping out of Med"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are you, OMFS? The intern year of a surgery residency will suck compared to just about anything.

Geek moment: I finally know what your S/N is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What are you, OMFS? The intern year of a surgery residency will suck compared to just about anything.
Nah, but I know people doing that. They were telling me that even though they are only in the hospital "80 hours per week", they are in the hospital 120 hours per week. That's a lot.

Geek moment: I finally know what your S/N is.
When I first read this, I thought you were talking to me and I got all excited. Interestingly, this username exists on every social media page you can think of (tumblr, facebook, youtube, twitter, etc.) and none of those people are me.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know whats up with all these people complaining about "x% of my class had life so much easier!". Life is inherently unfair, thats one of the first things you realize before you even realize your parents are rich or poor. How? If you're an ugly kid, other kids will treat you pretty badly. If you're attractive, other kids will treat you well (generally) and this is all the way down in pre-school. I remember watching this chubby kid in my class get bullied because he was fat. Guess what? He went home crying to his mom every time she picked him up. Sure, his dad was loaded. I went his birthday parties and remember the house. Did he have a tough life? Probably, girls aren't too keen on the chubs early on. The big tough bully? He didn't know his dad and his mom didn't seem to pay much attention to him.

We all start at different positions in life. Everyone has disadvantages. Some people are ugly, some people are poor, some people were raised by parents who didn't care. Etc. All these idiots complaining about how 65% of the class is "privileged" need to check their theory. Everyone in the US is an immigrant of some sort. Anyone who is decently well off has had someone somewhere along the line that had to work hard and climb out of the lower socioeconomic class. Neither of my parents make near remotely what a physician makes but thats fine with me. They were great parents and they worked hard to help me as much as they could. I'm the first one in my family to go to medical school or college for that matter. Do i go around looking for gold stars like all these other dramatic people? No. I'm just the one along the line that had to climb out of the socioeconomic class i was born into. My kids and my grandkids will be better off for it.

This is going to be controversial but most of the people that have given this complaint in real life are URMs of some sort who think the government owes them something. URMs have nothing remotely viable to complain about. If you get half decent grades, you get a full ride to college. If you get a half decent mcat, you can go to medical school.

Now what if you're not a URM and you don't come from a privileged class? Well **** you better make it on your own. Thats pretty much the vibe that i've gotten my entire life. I still made it. Don't want to be a doctor? drop out and go work the 50k/year job that the average american does. Nothing wrong with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know whats up with all these people complaining about "x% of my class had life so much easier!". Life is inherently unfair, thats one of the first things you realize before you even realize your parents are rich or poor. How? If you're an ugly kid, other kids will treat you pretty badly. If you're attractive, other kids will treat you well (generally) and this is all the way down in pre-school. I remember watching this chubby kid in my class get bullied because he was fat. Guess what? He went home crying to his mom every time she picked him up. Sure, his dad was loaded. I went his birthday parties and remember the house. Did he have a tough life? Probably, girls aren't too keen on the chubs early on. The big tough bully? He didn't know his dad and his mom didn't seem to pay much attention to him.

We all start at different positions in life. Everyone has disadvantages. Some people are ugly, some people are poor, some people were raised by parents who didn't care. Etc. All these idiots complaining about how 65% of the class is "privileged" need to check their theory. Everyone in the US is an immigrant of some sort. Anyone who is decently well off has had someone somewhere along the line that had to work hard and climb out of the lower socioeconomic class. Neither of my parents make near remotely what a physician makes but thats fine with me. They were great parents and they worked hard to help me as much as they could. I'm the first one in my family to go to medical school or college for that matter. Do i go around looking for gold stars like all these other dramatic people? No. I'm just the one along the line that had to climb out of the socioeconomic class i was born into. My kids and my grandkids will be better off for it.

This is going to be controversial but most of the people that have given this complaint in real life are URMs of some sort who think the government owes them something. URMs have nothing remotely viable to complain about. If you get half decent grades, you get a full ride to college. If you get a half decent mcat, you can go to medical school.

Now what if you're not a URM and you don't come from a privileged class? Well **** you better make it on your own. Thats pretty much the vibe that i've gotten my entire life. I still made it. Don't want to be a doctor? drop out and go work the 50k/year job that the average american does. Nothing wrong with that.

Who do you see looking for gold stars? I don't even have enough URMs in my class to even get an opinion. I highly doubt you know any URMs like this in real life. For the record im a URM and I don't think anyone owes me anything for my race. I don't like the med students because I come from a background where my peers were worth 10 of them. I think med students are boring, and wouldn't trust most of them to take care of anyone I knew. Yes, I can tell from now. There's something called character, and it's lacking.

For what it's worth, the people I know who seemingly love med school are douchey little kids who post 50 times on facebook looking for attention that they're in med school.

That is kind of a stupid thing to say!

OH HEY. Here's some perspective that isn't pre-health (undecided) - let me grace you with it. I'm a 45 year old M1 who had an honest-to-god career, and it was pretty cush but I hated it. I have real **** in my life - kids, husband, extended family, bills and right now, health issues, and to me, med school is hard, but it's also a break from the really hard **** I deal with on the daily. All I have to do while I'm in medical school is learn butt load of hella cool info that isn't even that ******* complicated. I show up, get my **** done, take some tests, make sure my white coat is clean. The rest of my life is all compromises, heartache and compartmentalization of issues, just like everyone else's, except I don't hate my job, and I'm totally grateful that I even get the opportunity to do this.

STOP WHINING. If all you have to complain about is how hard medical school is, your life is soft like margarine on white bread. Shut up and enjoy the ride.

Oh HAY! Here's an idea, be cognizant of what you're posting before you post it, clearly there are people here who are struggling in school and to them, maybe...just maybe...everything in school actually IS complicated and tough. But you know, med school is just a break from your real life for you, and all...

Sigh

Reactions: 2 users
Oh HAY! Here's an idea, be cognizant of what you're posting before you post it, clearly there are people here who are struggling in school and to them, maybe...just maybe...everything in school actually IS complicated and tough. But you know, med school is just a break from your real life for you, and all...

Sigh

Wow, I clearly hit a big nerve with you if you're bringing this up again. I sincerely apologize for that - I honestly didn't think, given the general tone of this entire thread, that I'd said anything that out of line.

I actually do know what it's like to struggle in school, and I do know what it's like to fail (holy crap, do I know failure, we were bff's for a while), or hate something you thought you'd love. It's scary, and I get it. But - and this is my opinion based on my life experience - a sure path to being unhappy with your life is to allow yourself to lose perspective and gratitude. I completely acknowledge that medical school is difficult on a lot of different levels. But if school is difficult for a person, there are a lot of ways to address that - tutoring, outside sources, therapy, re-evaluating your career plans, etc.

Life gets. so. much. harder. when you have more responsibility and less control over the outcome (ie, have kids, get older, etc.). But even so, I know that I probably couldn't have handled medical school when I was in my early 20's, and I have a lot of respect for my classmates who are. I just get frustrated when I hear people complain rather than do something about it.

Hope that helps. Again, I apologize for stepping on toes.

Sigh
I could be wrong, but I don't think Dylasa was referring to people who are failing. She was referring to complain about EVERYTHING under the sun in med school - i.e. EMDO. That's what irritates people.

It is not about giving EMDO ammo, but many of the things that @Hemorrage were just stupid...
I actually agree with him a lot on some things. The truth is just based on the stats, your medical school class will have a huge percentage of people who are quite affluent - many of them from 2 physician families. Medical school is no more protected than other professions - esp. as certain schools recruit that way to bring in more donations later, etc. A lot of it has to do with income inequality (I hate this term bc it's a misnomer to the issue) in which those who are working have seen their wages stagnate.

I disagree. It's pretty hard not to feel insulted by lines like these:

I've said it before in this thread. Lots of people enjoy med school. If you're one of those people, great, good for you (and I was one). But don't get up on your soapbox and lecture your classmates about your "real s***" and tell them to enjoy the ride. It's insulting and dismissive to those who do struggle in med school.

And one of the people in my med school class who struggled the most in the school was a non-trad who had been f***ing deployed in Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure he knew what "real s***" looks like, and yet med school nearly caused him to quit.

I wasn't talking about people who are failing or struggling in medical school or in life. Without giving up too much personal information, I can tell you that I have absolutely failed in lots of areas of my life when there were too many heavy things for me to carry. I couldn't do medical school during that part of my life. But when I made that post, I was talking specifically about people who say, "Medical school is hard and it bums me out so I quit," not the people who say "I just got deployed to Afghanistan and holy crap, now what?"

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I actually agree with him a lot on some things. The truth is just based on the stats, your medical school class will have a huge percentage of people who are quite affluent - many of them from 2 physician families. Medical school is no more protected than other professions - esp. as certain schools recruit that way to bring in more donations later, etc. A lot of it has to do with income inequality (I hate this term bc it's a misnomer to the issue) in which those who are working have seen their wages stagnate.
Saying URMs think government owe them stuff! It is not URMs that think that; it is generally the disenfranchised who think government should help them... I really don't like these kind of political statements. I am a person who think it's easy to make it into the middle class even if your parents are poor, but I don't like to make value statement about a group of people... What you said is way different than what 'hemorrhage' was getting at...

Members don't see this ad :)
Saying URMs think government owe them stuff! It is not URMs that think that; it is generally the disenfranchised who think government should help them... I really don't like these kind of political statements. I am a person who think it's easy to make it into the middle class even if your parents were poor, but I don't like to make value statement about a group of people... What you said is way different than what 'hemorrhage' was getting at...
And you'd be wrong.

And you'd be wrong.
I am not wrong on that... You might not be able to make it into the upper middle class easily, but it is not difficult to make it into the 'lower/mid' middle if you have some work ethics... I am talking about 70k-100k/year salary for a family of 4-5...

Oh ffs. Life is unfair. Put on your big kid pants and get over it.

I am not wrong on that... You might not be able to make it into the upper middle class easily, but it is not difficult to make it into the 'lower/mid' middle if you have some work ethics... I am talking about 70k-100k/year salary for a family of 4-5...
70 to 100k IS NOT lower or middle class for a family of 4.

It shows how out of touch you are when you think a 70 K to 100 K salary is lower/middle class. I should probably be surprised, but I'm not.

Ahahahaha. Try getting there when you've had your first child at 18 years old. And then the second like 2 years later. And then a third.

It shows how out of touch you are when you think a 70 K to 100 K salary is lower/middle class. I should probably be surprised, but I'm not.
What are the figures now? Boy! I might really out of touch..:rolleyes: I said mid middle class as well, though I am aware there is not such term..

When I took sociology , years ago the figure was 60k-79.9k for lower middle class... upper was 80k-119.9k... Maybe these figure have changed..
Where? New York City? JFC.

What are the figures now? Boy! I might really out of touch..:rolleyes:
Again, you are WAY OFF if you think an annual salary of 70 K to 100 K puts someone in the lower/middle class. Coming from someone who had a diary listing one's med school grievances, being out of touch is consistent with that.

Again, you are WAY OFF if you think an annual salary of 70 K to 100 K puts someone in the lower/middle class. Coming from someone who had a diary listing one's med school grievances, being out of touch is consistent with that.
I also said mid middle class... I guess living in Miami-Dade county make it seem like a lower/mid middle class salary. That med school grievances stuff is getting old...

I also said mid middle class... I guess living in Miami-Dade county make it seem like a lower/mid middle class salary. That med school grievances stuff is getting old...
And you would still be wrong.

That is nobody's fault if you get a child at 18....
There's irony in this statement when there's posts like "how and when can i bang allllll the hotzz womenzzz" and "would smash" floating around on these boards.

And that's exactly my problem with your posts. To a lot of people - Med school is really hard and bums them out. Even people who've never failed or come close to it. Yet your response is to judge them for that and call them soft as whitebread, because they don't have your vast experience and perspective. Get off your high horse.

My point was that - given my perspective and experience, which is a valid thing for anyone to bring into a conversation - complaining will do nothing, and action with a good attitude will. I still don't see how that's a bad point. I apologize to all of you for not communicating it in the right way. And I'm out.

That is nobody's fault if you get a child at 18....

We're not talking about fault here. We're talking about the difficulty of extracting yourself from poverty to middle class. A good chunk of the US female population has at least one child by the age of 22-25, and we all know that getting through undergrad is a major step in increasing one's earnings to the world of "middle class" and getting through undergrad can be hard enough without having constant financial pressure and children to take care of.

When I took sociology , years ago the figure was 60k-79.9k for lower middle class... upper was 80k-119.9k... Maybe these figure have changed..
:rofl: Dude, the median household income is like $51,000 a year. $60-80k/year is NOT lower class.

We're not talking about fault here. We're talking about the difficulty of extracting yourself from poverty to middle class. A good chunk of the US female population has at least one child by the age of 22-25, and we all know that getting through undergrad is a major step in increasing one's earnings to the world of "middle class" and getting through undergrad can be hard enough without having constant financial pressure and children to take care of.
Having a child at that age is kind of a choice to me...

Having a child at that age is kind of a choice to me...
While I do agree with you, you're completely missing the point. Not to mention other logistics about the "choice" thing.

Dear Diary,

Today my resident talked to me in a very harsh tone in front of the team while he was coding a patient. Tomorrow I'm going to tell him how unprofessional he was towards me and that I deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

A college education doesn't assure jack squat. This isn't the 70s and 80s. Our generation is truly screwed in so many aspects it's not funny. What makes it worse is when the Baby Boomer generation who have truly gotten every advantage have the nerve to lecture to the rest of us.

And you would still be wrong to say a 70 K to 100 K salary is lower middle class.
I have your link that agrees with me; I think you are splitting hairs here . Let me break it into two groups:

70k-84.99k/year .... Lower middle class
85k-100k /year.... mid middle class.

I have your link that agrees with me; I think you are splitting hairs here . Let me break it into two groups:

That was a starting search, genius, to point out the median income in this country. Your 70 K to 100 K doesn't even include the median salary in this country.

A college education doesn't assure jack squat. This isn't the 70s and 80s. Our generation is truly screwed in so many aspects it's not funny. What makes it worse is when the Baby Boomer generation who have truly gotten every advantage have the nerve to lecture to the rest of us.

I'm not suggesting a college education is an assurance of anything, but statistically speaking, it does put one in a far better position to be earning something which might land one in the middle class than having just a high school education.

While I do agree with you, you're completely missing the point. Not to mention other logistics about the "choice" thing.
I am not missing any point; some people make choices but don't think about the consequences. Nothing will be easy if you come from a poor family, but with some work ethics, it's not that hard to make it into the middle class...

I am not missing any point; some people make choices but don't think about the consequences. Nothing will be easy if you come from a poor family, but with some work ethics, it's not that hard to make it into the middle class...
Yes, you are. People can't just not have a child and just wait to save up completely. For you to say that to go from a poor family to middle class just requires work ethic is so out of touch it's not even funny. I say that as someone whose family is not middle class so I have no dog in this fight.

That was a starting search, genius, to point out the median income in this country. Your 70 K to 100 K doesn't even include the median salary in this country.
You just want disagree for the sake of it... You don't have any #s to prove your points... You even brought up #s that agree with my assertion... What are your numbers?

Well gee, maybe all those ppor people should have thought of that before they decided to become poor!!!

Yes, you are. People can't just not have a child and just wait to save up completely. For you to say that to go from a poor family to middle class just requires work ethic is so out of touch it's not even funny. I say that as someone whose family is not middle class so I have no dog in this fight.
It is not the norm to have a child at 18... If you think it is the norm, I don't know what world you are living in!

Well gee, maybe all those ppor people should have thought of that before they decided to become poor!!!
You are being silly now... I am not saying poor people choose to be poor... What I am saying there are choices that MANY of them make that will most likely make them poor... And these are choices.

In NYC maybe, lol.

SDN is the strangest place. It's like no one here has ever even met an honest-to-God middle class American. The average married couple family has an income of just over 63k, and the average doctorate holder makes an average of 81.4k. So basically you're saying the average person possessing a doctorate is lower middle class and the average married household doesn't even qualify as middle class :laugh: