How to minimize “damage” caused by dropping MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an M3 and I dropped the PhD after M1 year, when I realized I applied for the wrong reasons and I just wasn’t as interested in research as I thought (I did lab work during M1 year so I wasn’t completely separated from research). I decided to drop it asap, because I didn’t want to take more of my program’s money. It is a done deal, can’t go back.

Though there is quite a bit of time, 2025 match applications are approaching. I don’t know if my decision to drop will be in my MSPE. But assuming it is, how damaging is this? How can I minimize damage? I’ve still been involved in research, and I honored almost all of my core rotations. I passed Step 1. I’m applying Neuro most likely.

I know it looks bad because I dropped something that I committed too. I just don’t know how to explain it to residencies… truthfully my decision to do a PhD was fueled by lots of fears and ideas of frankly grandeur, and I finally got mental health help during M1 that let me actually see what I wanted to do and make decisions not based in fears or “looking good.” But I don’t want to discuss mental health/therapy with programs because I don’t want it to be a red flag. I know I am committed to medicine, I know I really love Neuro, and I know I probably won’t drop out of residency randomly like I did the MSTP.

Members don't see this ad.

Not damaging. You'll get asked, but as long as you're able to say why you arrived at this decision then it shouldn't be held against you.

Reactions: 2 users
Firstly, I think it's somewhat unlikely it'll show up on your MSPE. Secondly, if it does, it'll be buried pretty deep in the weeds somewhere, and PDs will be unlikely to notice. Each application arrives with a large volume of data on the ERAS app alone, and MSPEs only add to that in an unstandardized, messy way - usually the process is to pull objectives e.g. grades/rank/AOA from the MSPE, rather than detailed reading of narrative comments. Thirdly, even if PDs do notice, many won't ask. Overall, I think that as long as you don't heavily push/volunteer the information, it won't really come up very often - maybe a few times over the interview cycle. There are too many applicants, too much data, and too little time.

It's reasonable to prepare a bit for a potential question, however. I think I'd just spin it in a positive way; more "why MD/clinical work?" rather than "why not MSTP/research?" even if it's a bit disingenuous/not completely accurate. Say something like "Well, after joining medical school, I realized that I just love caring for patients, and I see clinical medicine as the primary focus of my career. I'm still very excited about innovation and scientific development, but envision myself on the translational and clinical end of the research process. Pursuing the MD has allowed me to more directly pursue these goals, and do more of what I'm passionate about without time diversion. I was glad to come to this realization relatively early in my medical training".

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what the reason was and how it is verbalized. Happened to my friend (no longer interested in research), no issues.