What's with all the "Dropping out of Med"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my own reason... But since my concerns were somewhat addressed, I felt like it was not a productive use of my time and energy...
I'm glad you finally saw it that way. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah unfortunately for many/most organized sports these days, if you want to participate at a competitive level (i.e. beyond PeeWee or Pop warner) - you really need formal lessons. There's also a lot of pressure on kids for early differentiation rather than participating in many different sports. It's unfortunate really.
I'd rather teach my kids actually. I don't like those aspects of organized sports but it does facilitate team building. Sports has become rather elitist for kids these days, and I have to laugh at these how do I say, "soft" kids in my medical school class claiming to be athletic because they played some sort of sport in HS. But then again, this does build the confidence I see in them, and that's another benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Derm, I think you missed what he said. He is in medical school. His spouse makes 55k/year. He has two kids. They are getting by but barely. No parental support.

Edit: I'm assuming full loans.

I never thought putting your kids in some ECs that cost $80/month was a luxury for a middle class family.. Basically, as long as you have a shelter and you can eat, you belong to the middle class... then almost everyone is in the middle class.
Being able to afford to own a home, having two vehicles (in non-public transportation centric areas), having the basic necessities (internet, cable, cell phones), and being able to afford to eat are what make you middle class. The quality of these things is what distinguishes the lower middle from the upper middle class, or at least that's how I feel about it.

Reactions: 1 users
I am pretty sure that you are not serious with that statement!
Um, I am serious. You can exercise or play sports with friends WITHOUT lessons.

Reactions: 3 users
Whaaat?
Get the kids a soccer or volley ball, a couple bikes, a frisbee, a jump rope. Tag. Red rover. Take tem bowling one weekend for fun. No lessons needed.

Ok so maybe do it your self gymnastics with a home made trapeeze is a bad idea, But Seriously what do kids do these days?

Pretty sure my dad taught me everything I needed to know about how to play baseball, basketball, and football. And I learned everything I needed to know about exercise from the good 'ol internet and books.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Boy! You are more out of touch than I thought... I will drop my 5-year old at the park and have him play sports with some friends...:rolleyes:
I know!!! God forbid kids play baseball in the park and embarass themselves!!! Why, they might even strike out and embarrass their parents!! What will the neighbors say?

Reactions: 4 users
Whaaat?
Get the kids a soccer or volley ball, a couple bikes, a frisbee, a jump rope. Tag. Red rover. Take tem bowling one weekend for fun. No lessons needed.

Ok so maybe do it your self gymnastics with a home made trapeeze is a bad idea, But Seriously what do kids do these days?
This. I guess we outsource this and pay someone else to do it these days.

Boy! You are more out of touch than I thought... I will drop my 5-year old at the park and have him play sports with some friends...:rolleyes:
At 5 years old, your kid shouldn't really be involved in organized sports lol. They should be running around enjoying being a damn kid, not engaging in ridiculously structured ECs. When I was that age we were content just playing tag and throwing acorns at each other in the park for the hell of it. Building forts out of cardboard boxes was the ****. Your kid doesn't need private dance lessons, they need some damn boxes and scissors. Maybe some Legos while you're at it. Just let them be creative and have fun.

Reactions: 3 users
At 5 years old, your kid shouldn't really be involved in organized sports lol. They should be running around enjoying being a damn kid, not engaging in ridiculously structured ECs. When I was that age we were content just playing tag and throwing acorns at each other in the park for the hell of it. Building forts out of cardboard boxes was the ****. Your kid doesn't need private dance lessons, they need some damn boxes and scissors. Maybe some Legos while you're at it. Just let them be creative and have fun.
Gotta build that CV early, I guess.

Thanks for telling me what I should do for my kids!

Thanks for telling me what I should do for my kids!
He's not telling you what to do with your kids. What he's telling you is that for the purposes of playing sports and getting exercise, getting lessons is nowhere close to being a necessity. It's to have fun, get a good workout, whatever. You're at a 10 in intensity, you need to be at a 2. Take it down a few notches, you'll be fine.

If I had to choose between sports lessons and food/clothes/whatever, it'd be food not sports. Not sure what the necessity is here. It's kind of like the people who say they're poor cuz they can't afford the Louis Vuitton.

Reactions: 2 users
edit: Staying out of this one.

Last edited:
Most organized sports do have some costs associated with them, but they certainly don't have the same costs that lessons have attached to them.
I think that's the difference. Big difference between organized sports and lessons. You're supposed to go home and practice on your own. Lessons are nowhere close to a requirement.

In this thread : people who don't have kids or play sports talk about parenting and athletics.

In this thread : people who don't have kids or play sports talk about parenting and athletics.
You're 100% right. The first requirement to play sports is lessons. No lessons, no sports. See above:

I know!!! God forbid kids play baseball in the park and embarass themselves!!! Why, they might even strike out and embarrass their parents!! What will the neighbors say?

Hmm. The princesses will take ballet, learn a second language, and maybe I'll allow soccer. Or piano. Actually, violin.

I don't think you do either.

Lol breh YOU really don't get it. How easy do you think it is to organize a bunch of five year olds together to play an organized sport? When you pay for coaching you aren't just paying for your kid to get instructed. You are paying for the staff to organize the entire event. This includes reserving the facilities, providing the equipment, coordinating a schedule with parents, arranging games with other teams, etc.

I like how you see yourself as the authority on everything everyone discusses on these forums.

EDIT: You pathetic mole man

Hmm. The princesses will take ballet, learn a second language, and maybe I'll allow soccer. Or piano. Actually, violin.

Watch out, she might rebel against your tiger mom plans and spend her days playing with GI Joes before joining the boys football team.

Lol breh YOU really don't get it. How easy do you think it is to organize a bunch of five year olds together to play an organized sport? When you pay for coaching you aren't just paying for your kid to get instructed. You are paying for the staff to organize the entire event. This includes reserving the facilities, providing the equipment, coordinating a schedule with parents, arranging games with other teams, etc.

I like how you see yourself as the authority on everything everyone discusses on these forums.

:corny:

Reactions: 4 users

Who is talking about organized sports? We're talking about getting lessons. No one here is talking about coaching an organized sport. Next time if you're going to dive in the middle of a conversation, try to at least understand what is being talked about.

It's ok. They're princesses. I'm guessing cheerleading or gymnastics is out of the question?

Who is talking about organized sports? We're talking about getting lessons. No one here is talking about coaching an organized sport. Next time if you're going to dive in the middle of a conversation, try to at least understand what is being talked about.
You still don't get it... You really think people pay for their kids to kick a soccer ball against a wall or throw a ball into a basket... Boy!

Last edited:
What a thread! This is the typical SDN thread... You have the same people that are often on every single allo thread who think they are expert on everything...

@fancymylotus You definitely spend a lot time in the allo forum and I think many in the pre-dent forum can use your advice regarding dental school and dental practice...

Last edited:

Well they already made a huge mistake by having a kid, so they're probably screwing up raising them.

I never said I was a grown up, I just said that I wanted to talk to adults, which I did for a whole hour. But seriously, in my head, a mature person is someone who takes care of their business, can dispense a joke and can take a joke. Being a mature adult doesn't mean you have to stow your sense of humor or stop being silly or stop swearing or stop eating Lucky Charms. Sheesh.

But. ETA... If my comment hurt your feelings, I apologize. It was actually meant to be more of a reflection on me feeling like (and being) a cranky old lady sometimes. :)
What specialty are you interested in if any?

Well they already made a huge mistake by having a kid, so they're probably screwing up raising them.
You always outdouche yourself.

Reactions: 8 users