Considering dropping out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With a 205 and all passes you can't really be picky about university versus community I don't think. Just be content with getting something you can do for the rest of your life near your family.
Program director here- it’s not about the numbers it’s about clinical ability, professionalism, teachability, proactive learning. Many of our best residents rotated with us and matched despite low scores. One of our best passed step one by one point. Showing up unprepared though will definitely hurt your chances. Some people with great scores can’t apply their knowledge and make good medical decisions. Our program plans not to screen by step scores this year, we will be reviewing MSPEs as a first pass screen for red flags.
Would you say most programs will be doing this? I didn’t realize that many screened bu scores. Is this something I will find on the website? I hate to submit an app just to not get looked at

Members don't see this ad.

It is very unfortunate your hypothyroidism was untreated. If it makes you feel less alone I had a similar situation during my Step 1. Undiagnosed systemic autoimmune disease that was causing me severe fatigue and brain fog. I ended up barely passing step 1 with a score of 19x.
Midway through M3 I forced my NP to run specific rheum tests she was not even familiar with... Got on plaquenil, felt a lot better.
Just got my step 2 score of 25x. I had a 50+ point improvement.

During M3 my confidence plummeted. I let myself think I was the dumbest medical student who didn't deserve to be here. I struggled to stay awake to study and struggled with medical knowledge due to fatigue/brain fog. I never honored a shelf exam. I saw on residency searchers even FM programs had step 1 cutoffs of 200 or 215 etc... As someone who is tbh not great clinically, I was so worried I would not even get FM interviews and that my medical career was doomed.

I'm an M4 now applying FM soon. I never really had my sight set on any specific specialty, but hoping I can now get into a good FM program and keep living my life. Is it my ideal specialty? maybe not but maybe with effort you can still get into other specialties. You should still try.

Life sucks sometimes and it is unfortunate when things like this happen during something as big as Step 1, but you can and should still keep going forward.
Don't let your step 1 score make you feel less worthy. My step 2 score does not make me more worthy now either, but it let me see I have more potential than I let myself believe.
Never be the one to say no to yourself. Let someone else say no to you.
Congrats on the improvement that is amazing!!! Thank you for the kind words I hope everything works out for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Ms3

step 1: 205
All my clinicals will be pass. Our school does 20% H 20% HP.

I attributed my low step one to my TSH being 300. But now I think it’s just bc im not a good tester. No matter how hard I study for the shelf I’m 30th percentile.

i get great evals sometimes but then also get 3/5s. I’m not making up for my Step 1 performance.

I’m tired of the midwest and know I’m not a competitive applicant. I volunteer and have some research but that doesn’t even matter with my scores. Should I drop out now or try to use the MD? Like a teaching job? Please any advice would help
Whoa.. take it easy. All that and you want to drop out? I felt similarly many times .. I mean it’s a grueling schedule, your hours aren’t yours, your college friends are out there working, etc., and you’re not yet doing what you’re meant to be Doug or not even sure what you want to do. Totally common/normal etc.

As a side note, I think the first half year of Med school should be clinical rotations through ALL specialties and sub-specialties. It lends insight and motivation from the start (for some directionally lacking types).

First of all, finish it. Then you can do clinical or non-clinical with it.

You can pursue research. Even Finance/Start ups/VC etc etc

Or you may encounter a specialty that touches you enough to motivate you to be a good Physician to people you’ll possibly save/help etc.,- a good feeling.

By dropping out.. I think you’d be depriving yourself of quite a bit of opportunity.

Ms3

step 1: 205
All my clinicals will be pass. Our school does 20% H 20% HP.

I attributed my low step one to my TSH being 300. But now I think it’s just bc im not a good tester. No matter how hard I study for the shelf I’m 30th percentile.

i get great evals sometimes but then also get 3/5s. I’m not making up for my Step 1 performance.

I’m tired of the midwest and know I’m not a competitive applicant. I volunteer and have some research but that doesn’t even matter with my scores. Should I drop out now or try to use the MD? Like a teaching job? Please any advice would help
This makes no sense. You are passing. Why not just go to a community residency program in the midwest and become a doctor. Do you not want to do clinical medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.