What's with all the "Dropping out of Med"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Well they already made a huge mistake by having a kid, so they're probably screwing up raising them.

Dick, lol. I truly did LOL at that statement, however. Well played.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this normal?

November.. two months after the start of med, peeps wanna drop out..

Its the whole loan issue that keeps people in med school when they really want to quit. In many other countries medical school tuition is very cheap or even free, so the financial consequences of dropping out are not as bad.

Its the whole loan issue that keeps people in med school when they really want to quit. In many other countries medical school tuition is very cheap or even free, so the financial consequences of dropping out are not as bad.
:thumbup::thumbup: Yup. Pretty much by the time you're in the middle of MS-3, it's too late to backtrack, esp. since those loans are non-dischargeable thru bankruptcy anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why worry about other peoples' threads, we gotz bigga fish to fry

:thumbup::thumbup: Yup. Pretty much by the time you're in the middle of MS-3, it's too late to backtrack, esp. since those loans are non-dischargeable thru bankruptcy anyways.

A Canadian classmate told me that it is much cheaper to go to school in Canada, the only catch is that its way harder to get into medical school over there.

What a thread! This is the typical SDN thread... You have the same people that are often on every single allo thread who think they are expert on everything...
d7d

Reactions: 1 users
Well I need some heirs to get my loot. You can't take it with you, and it's hard to spend it all.

The hard part actually is having some "loot" to give to your kids. Most people these days fresh out of school are drowning in debt.

We lost 13 (5 withdrew, 8 are getting kicked out, including myself). 5 more lost due to failing 2 classes so repeating the year. 15+ more failed 1 class, so based on if they pass remediation will determine if they continue, repeat, or get kicked out.

Anyone have any advice on what to do next in life? Feeling pretty depressed :(

We lost 13 (5 withdrew, 8 are getting kicked out, including myself). 5 more lost due to failing 2 classes so repeating the year. 15+ more failed 1 class, so based on if they pass remediation will determine if they continue, repeat, or get kicked out.

holy-sht.gif

How big is your class? Thats crazy attrition unless youre in the carib.....

With all due respect to your goal of becoming a doctor, you escaped with only 1 semester of debt under your belt and no step exams taken. You are extremely fortunate in the sense that there is a "next" in your life, because of your debt load. I've met so many people who were kicked out much later than this, or graduated and didn't match and are tied to this profession forever. Within that context I am happy for you and encourage you to take some time off and think about what to do next.

Is this normal?

November.. two months after the start of med, peeps wanna drop out..

It's a selection bias.
If I were to hazard an estimate, probably 99% Pre-Allo SDNers get off SDN (or at least stop posting) once they have medical school to deal with. They'll only come on when they have a serious question such as this. Also, unfortunately I doubt students are willing to talk about a desire to leave medical school openly for fear of resentment for peers/colleagues/family so most resort to the internet where their ID is at least semi-anonymous.

I'm sure that most people think about quitting school. It's just that admissions committees look for people who seem like they will be able to handle school and that there's so much sacrifice and effort that goes into getting into medical school that quitting isn't a decision to be taken lightly. I also thought seriously about quitting during first semester and still think about it every now and then. But I have so many great encounters with patients that I can't imagine doing anything else. I love doing things for patients that contributes to their care; the worst thing is to sit around and be useless. It's such an honor and yet humbling when someone mentions you as their doctor and actually makes you feel like you are, even though you've told them several times that you're just a student

Reactions: 2 users
Med students in WVU SOM's thread noted that they regularly lose 10-15 students to failing/dropping out in each entering class

Must be school-dependent.