What personality should a female surgeon possess?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol.
I think race is a factor and don't have a problem with it being taken into consideration about a person. And no one who is accepted into a medical school in the US is incapable of doing the work. Ask any adcom on here, the picture you are painting isn't accurate. @LizzyM @Goro
You're kidding right? There are many medical students who are incapable of doing the course work and either fail out of coursework or voluntarily withdraw although early on in the process.

Members don't see this ad.

You mean a black person and a white person are found to do the same amount of cocaine and the black guy gets a higher sentence than the white guy?
no white person is found and convicted for doing cocaine. Unless it is for some tv reality show.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol look at the differences between sentencing rates for crack vs. Cocaine. It's the same damn drug, but crack has longer sentences. Ever notice there is a racial difference between ur average crack user vs. Ur average cocaine user?

You're kidding right? There are many medical students who are incapable of doing the course work and either fail out of coursework or voluntarily withdraw although early on in the process.
Life gets in the way sometimes. As a rule though, schools aren't admitting people who aren't academically capable to do the work

she should be very obedient and a good listener so when she's assisting the male surgeons she will be able to follow their instructions without asking them to repeat it, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol look at the differences between sentencing rates for crack vs. Cocaine. It's the same damn drug, but crack has longer sentences. Ever notice there is a racial difference between ur average crack user vs. Ur average cocaine user?
Crack and cocaine are the same in terms of effect.

I didn't know the formulation: crack vs. cocaine is racism. Must all be a vast conspiracy to entrap minorities. Give me a break.

I didn't know the formulation: crack vs. cocaine is racism. Must all be a vast conspiracy to entrap minorities. Give me a break.
I'm not saying that was the intention, I'm saying that was the result.

I just wikied it-
"While a person found with five grams of crack cocaine faced a five-year mandatory minimum prison sentence, a person holding powder cocaine could receive the same sentence only if he or she held five hundred grams. Similarly, those carrying ten grams of crack cocaine faced a ten-year mandatory sentence, while possession of one thousand grams of powder cocaine was required for the same sentence to be imposed"

"In 2009, the U.S. Sentencing Commission introduced figures stating that no class of drug is as racially skewed as crack in terms of numbers of offenses. According to the data, 79% of 5,669 sentenced crack offenders were black, while only 10% were white and 10% were Hispanic. The figures for the 6,020 powder cocaine convictions, in contrast, were as follows: 17% of these offenders were white, 28% were black, and 53% were Hispanic. Combined with a 115-month average imprisonment for crack offenses, compared with an average of 87 months for cocaine offenses, the sentencing disparity results in more African-Americans spending more time in the prison system."

There was the fair sentencing act in 2010 which helps to deal with this disparity, but I think they could do more.

Actually it's not far from exactly that. Look up the story of the real Freeway Rick Ross. Where his supply began. The black ops wars against grass roots leftist factions in central and South America began in the opposite direction. Coke for cash. Weapons and "technical support" from the profits. With more coke. Rinse repeat. Was Noreiga a "bad guy" or just somebody who forgot what the deal was?

I'm not saying that was the intention, I'm saying that was the result.

I just wikied it-
"While a person found with five grams of crack cocaine faced a five-year mandatory minimum prison sentence, a person holding powder cocaine could receive the same sentence only if he or she held five hundred grams. Similarly, those carrying ten grams of crack cocaine faced a ten-year mandatory sentence, while possession of one thousand grams of powder cocaine was required for the same sentence to be imposed"

"In 2009, the U.S. Sentencing Commission introduced figures stating that no class of drug is as racially skewed as crack in terms of numbers of offenses. According to the data, 79% of 5,669 sentenced crack offenders were black, while only 10% were white and 10% were Hispanic. The figures for the 6,020 powder cocaine convictions, in contrast, were as follows: 17% of these offenders were white, 28% were black, and 53% were Hispanic. Combined with a 115-month average imprisonment for crack offenses, compared with an average of 87 months for cocaine offenses, the sentencing disparity results in more African-Americans spending more time in the prison system."

There was the fair sentencing act in 2010 which helps to deal with this disparity, but I think they could do more.
What's your point? That bc blacks have a greater quantity of a particular form of a drug that sentencing should be changed? Why is the race of the criminal important here? Try to research how crack cocaine is different. I know you can do it.

What's your point? That bc blacks have a greater quantity of a particular form of a drug that sentencing should be changed? Why is the race of the criminal important here? Try to research how crack cocaine is different. I know you can do it.

Crack is just ****ty coke cut down with impurities and put into a form for easy smoking. It's the same difference between grass fed Kobe beef and McDonald's hamburgers.

Crack is just ****ty coke cut down with impurities and put into a form for easy smoking. It's the same difference between grass fed Kobe beef and McDonald's hamburgers.
Try again. And you as a psychiatrist should know this: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs_devices_supplements/hic_Cocaine_and_Crack

Crack is cocaine that has been processed so that it can be smoked. It also goes by the street name "rock." Crack looks like small pieces or shavings of soap but has a hard, sharp texture. When a person smokes crack, cocaine reaches the brain more rapidly and in higher doses than when taken as a powder. The user feels an intense "rush" followed by a "crash" that can produce a strong craving for more of the drug.

Members don't see this ad :)
the drug is the same though, crack is free base cocaine. You can cook crack with cocaine and baking soda. You cant smoke cocaine. It does not vaporize, it burns.

Sure. But you can freebase the good **** if you can afford it, with the same delivery properties.

Regardless if you think the criminal justice system is structured to reduce addiction...then the starting point for this conversation is when you remove your head from your own @ss.

Reactions: 2 users
i am all for freebasing the good stuff when possible. I dont like my stuff in salt form.

the drug is the same though, crack is free base cocaine. You can cook crack with cocaine and baking soda. You cant smoke cocaine. It does not vaporize, it burns.
So what if the drug is the same? "crack, cocaine reaches the brain more rapidly and in higher doses than when taken as a powder" -- giving you a better high which merits the longer sentence, regardless of the race of the person using it. Stop being obtuse.

i am all for freebasing the good stuff when possible. I dont like my stuff in salt form.

Damn straight my cracker. Because lord knows when me, you, Thaddeus, and Carter get pulled over with our 8 - ball of pure Colombian in the glove box that is strictly for noncommercial pleasures it's not nearly as dangerous as a couple of rocks in the hands of somebody who intends to make minimum wage, high risk employment out of it. Goodness gracious no. Why...who doesn't know that?

You don't think it merits a stiffer jail sentence?

I don't think it merits a jail sentence at all.

As a human being who knows other human beings--forget my profession--I haven't seen jail sentences do much for society in terms of reducing anything...except parental supervision of children, inhibitions to violence, employability, life expectancy, human well-being, and you know...just the general life force of minority communities.

DermViser, thinks he knows everything, but on most subjects he's a *****. I have honestly seen the guy argue with a cardiologist about the right way to do cards procedures.

Damn straight my cracker. Because lord knows when me, you, Thaddeus, and Carter get pulled over with our 8 - ball of pure Colombian in the glove box that is strictly for noncommercial pleasures it's not nearly as dangerous as a couple of rocks in the hands of somebody who intends to make minimum wage, high risk employment out of it. Goodness gracious no. Why...who doesn't know that?
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

yes but imagine you are brought up in the hood, all the shizzle you have to do to get the bread at the door, means you sling some dope in the saturday, you get you little check up and bamn, you are grounded, while the rich boy with all the paper and pen crimes done for him by his parents and shizzle, is in the clear
Or, perhaps, you strive to become a better person than what was expected of you. You decided to earn and honest living. Suppose you intend to leave the 'hood' ASAP. Isn't that more commendable than 'slinging dope.'

Or, perhaps, you strive to become a better person than what was expected of you. You decided to earn and honest living. Suppose you intend to leave the 'hood' ASAP. Isn't that more commendable than 'slinging dope.'

If this was so easy to do, people would do it. You think people want to live in dangerous impoverished neighborhoods? Options are limited. Most people really are clueless.

If this was so easy to do, people would do it. You think people want to live in dangerous impoverished neighborhoods? Options are limited. Most people really are clueless.
Fine. But can't you still make an honest living? Perhaps by washing cars or working at a restaurant. Even if you're earning MW.

Edit: I don't know where you grew up, but you made something of yourself. You're a medical student. That's pretty impressive no matter who you are. Not everyone is as bright as you are, but they can still do something with their lives.

Fine. But can't you still make an honest living? Perhaps by washing cars or working at a restaurant. Even if you're earning MW.
Minimum wage isn't enough to get you out of the hood

Minimum wage isn't enough to get you out of the hood
That's why you work your way up. You start by earning minimum wage. Then you get better and better jobs, and, eventually, you can make a respectable earning. Dealing drugs can be lucrative, but you risk ending up in the slammer. You disregard hard work and honesty. There's something called the American Dream, and drug dealing is not encompassed by that notion.

Edit: I don't know where you grew up, but you made something of yourself. You're a medical student. That's pretty impressive no matter who you are. Not everyone is as bright as you are, but they can still do something with their lives.

My mom raised 4 kids making 15k a year, so yeah a lot of public assistance and welfare helped us. Washing cars and working other minimum wage jobs that's what people do in the "hood", still there are not enough jobs like that to go around. Growing up as a young black person in poverty you are told you are a stupid thug so much- by teachers, the media, whoever that you subconsciously believe it. I'm an anomaly, people like me don't happen very often, people think I'm bragging when I say that but really its sad.

love how crack rock became the primary topic of this thread...

and lets be honest.....you def don't want to be at the party where people are smoking rock........

DermViser, thinks he knows everything, but on most subjects he's a *****. I have honestly seen the guy argue with a cardiologist about the right way to do cards procedures.
I have never argued with a cardiology fellow on the right way to do a cards procedure. If you're going to lie, you should probably try harder esp. with some of the doozies that you say here.

I do, however, think you are weird considering you say how much you hate your family, hate your classmates, hate women, how much you hate people (and thus patients), your incessant nonstop whining about medicine, that have been complaining since before medical school started, and believe everyone is racist against you, and everyone else leads some type of charmed life. Hopefully you choose a field like Pathology, bc it's the only specialty that will be able somewhat accomodate your hating people so much.

My mom raised 4 kids making 15k a year, so yeah a lot of public assistance and welfare helped us. Washing cars and working other minimum wage jobs that's what people do in the "hood", still there are not enough jobs like that to go around. Growing up as a young black person in poverty you are told you are a stupid thug so much- by teachers, the media, whoever that you subconsciously believe it. I'm an anomaly, people like me don't happen very often, people think I'm bragging when I say that but really its sad.
I think if someone wants it bad enough, they can achieve greatness. I think many people who live in poverty don't care. They say, well the governments giving me everything and they will continue to do so for the rest of my life. So they don't work. Then there are the people who deal drugs. Then there are people like your mother who did the best she could. And she did one hell of a job. Look where you are now. She provided you with everything she could. And how bad did you want to get out of the hood? I'm guessing pretty bad. And guess what, you did. But I think some people just don't care.

Reactions: 3 users

And yet he still complains and whines when he's in a position many of his undergrad classmates would kill for.

I think if someone wants it bad enough, they can achieve greatness. I think many people who live in poverty don't care. They say, well the governments giving me everything and they will continue to do so for the rest of my life. So they don't work. Then there are the people who deal drugs. Then there are people like your mother who did the best she could. And she did one hell of a job. Look where you are now. She provided you with everything she could. And how bad did you want to get out of the hood? I'm guessing pretty bad. And guess what, you did. But I think some people just don't care.
I think it's the law of unintended consequences. I don't genuinely believe people WANT to be useless. I think that may be what is shown on tv as an example, but I don't think it's the rule. Probably naive of me to believe, but whatever.

You're saying there is no one like you who makes it to med school? Really?

lol from surgeons to crack rock, to bring things full circle maybe some surgeons do crack. How else do they perform 30hr surgeries.

You're saying there is no one like you who makes it to med school? Really?

I said its rare.

There's definitely some truth to this, and it's justification for a lot of politically conservative voters to say "I don't want my earned income to go towards those who are just milking it for handouts" (this is what I hear from my own family who I do not align with on everything). However, this attitude is sort of half-baked and doesn't go on to realize that people are products of their environment, and it's not about assigning blame but how can we realistically provide resources for the greatest amount of people that will keep doors open for everyone to rise up in socioeconomic status.

And @DermViser, how is a clean needle exchange program much different than metformin for type II DM? It addresses a problem that reduces overall health, while not actually addressing the problem. No one in needle exchange efforts thinks this is all addicts need, but they want to reduce morbidity in the process of addressing the deeper lying issues. I don't have a problem with that.

There's definitely some truth to this, and it's justification for a lot of politically conservative voters to say "I don't want my earned income to go towards those who are just milking it for handouts" (this is what I hear from my own family who I do not align with on everything). However, this attitude is sort of half-baked and doesn't go on to realize that people are products of their environment, and it's not about assigning blame but how can we realistically provide resources for the greatest amount of people that will keep doors open for everyone to rise up in socioeconomic status.

And @DermViser, how is a clean needle exchange program much different than metformin for type II DM? It addresses a problem that reduces overall health, while not actually addressing the problem. No one in needle exchange efforts thinks this is all addicts need, but they want to reduce morbidity in the process of addressing the deeper lying issues. I don't have a problem with that.
You're really going to equate the voluntary act of shooting up illicit drugs (that aren't for medicinal use) with taking Metformin for Diabetes Type 2 a chronic medical condition? Really?

The problem is that that's all they do. They stop there. Actually demanding of personal responsibility is where it stops.

You're really going to equate the voluntary act of shooting up illicit drugs (that aren't for medicinal use) with taking Metformin for Diabetes Type 2 a chronic medical condition? Really?

The problem is that that's all they do. They stop there. Actually demanding of personal responsibility is where it stops.

Of course I will? I don't see how intentionally shooting up harmful drugs is much different than intentionally continuing to eat fast food, drink their liter of soda everyday, and drink beer every evening.

Of course I will? I don't see how intentionally shooting up harmful drugs is much different than intentionally continuing to eat fast food, drink their liter of soda everyday, and drink beer every evening.

You're right. Shooting up heroin (and the consequences of abuse of that drug) are exactly like the consequences of eating fast food, drinking a liter of soda everyday, and drinking a 1 beer every evening. Yup, exact same level of functional impairment and consequences in terms of lifespan. :rolleyes:

And how do we do this? We create jobs. We encourage those people to work. We presure them to work with repercussions. But if people don't want to work, they just won't. And thus perpetuates a vicious, but deserved circle of poverty.

Making into medical school isn't common either. Point is you made it. Unless you think you making into medical school was a fluke.
Theres nothing inherently difficult about making it into medical school. Some work harder than others, but my company isn't composed of geniuses. If it were, Id have a harder time getting that top %. Medical school seems to be one of those rare situations where you get what you put into it. Becoming a doctor is one of the last few american dreams.

It's not that people are incapable of becoming doctors. Most don't want to be. ****, I'm here by default. I wanted to be an astronaut, or an actor. I'm just smart enough to know this is my best option.

You're right. Shooting up heroin (and the consequences of abuse of that drug) are exactly like the consequences of eating fast food, drinking a liter of soda everyday, and drinking a 1 beer every evening. Yup, exact same level of functional impairment and consequences in terms of lifespan. :rolleyes:

I know you're trying to come off as condescending, but yes DV, I think both drug abuse and dietary abuse are in principle similar behaviors with adverse health consequences. I'm not in the business of deciding which should have different LEGAL consequences (and in that respect they are not the same). But from a health stand point, a needle exchange program as well as some meds that address poor lifestyle habits are both saying "look this isn't going to fix the problem, but since I know you probably won't fix it yourself, I'll do this for you which should really help improve things in the meanwhile."

But what is our role as docs? We treat the people with diabetes. We medicate them and help them so they don't lose limbs and die before we know it. Do we encourage drug use? No. Do we encourage unhealthy habits and eating? No.

The difference is one is illegal. The other is just stupid. If people want to eat pure crap and get diabetes then let them. We should encourage them otherwise. But if they don't want to then whatever. Drug usage is and should be illegal. The two things aren't really comparable.

And how do we do this? We create jobs. We encourage those people to work. We presure them to work with repercussions. But if people don't want to work, they just won't. And thus perpetuates a vicious, but deserved circle of poverty.

I'm not disagreeing with you here at all. I have no idea what the answer and I don't envy those who feel responsible for figuring it out.

But what is our role as docs? We treat the people with diabetes. We medicate them and help them so they don't lose limbs and die before we know it. Do we encourage drug use? No. Do we encourage unhealthy habits and eating? No.

The difference is one is illegal. The other is just stupid. If people want to eat pure crap and get diabetes then let the. More money for us. We should encourage them otherwise. But if they don't want to then whatever. Drug usage is and should be illegal. The two things aren't really comparable.

I understand your reservations because one is illegal and one is not, and I never said it should be physicians that provide these clean needles. I'm just saying I don't have a problem with needle exchange programs in my community and will (continue) to support them.

Edit: I did compare the programs to prescribing medicine so I see what you're saying. I'm really just addressing personal feelings more than the responsibility we have as doctors/students.

I understand your reservations because one is illegal and one is not, and I never said it should be physicians that provide these clean needles. I'm just saying I don't have a problem with needle exchange programs in my community and will (continue) to support them.

That's no different than supporting any other crimes. If I said I would continue to support theft what would be the difference?

That's no different than supporting any other crimes. If I said I would continue to support theft what would be the difference?

I don't know, I guess I feel this is a much grayer area than stealing. Addiction is recognized as something that can and should be addressed by health professionals, and why should it not? So is kleptomania. I sort of lump it in with abortion laws at the moment. Not every Ob/Gyn should HAVE to perform them, but we shouldn't demonize those that are willing to (at least not at an institutional level, you have every right to your own feelings and actions).

I know you're trying to come off as condescending, but yes DV, I think both drug abuse and dietary abuse are in principle similar behaviors with adverse health consequences. I'm not in the business of deciding which should have different LEGAL consequences (and in that respect they are not the same). But from a health stand point, a needle exchange program as well as some meds that address poor lifestyle habits are both saying "look this isn't going to fix the problem, but since I know you probably won't fix it yourself, I'll do this for you which should really help improve things in the meanwhile."
Not being "condescending" at all. But if you are equating those 2 situations: shooting heroin with eating fast food, drinking a liter of soda everyday, and drinking a 1 beer every evening, as being on the same level of magnitude or on the same plane then you are greatly mistaken.