What personality should a female surgeon possess?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That bad?

It doesn't make any sense to me. I've never treated anybody in my entire life like I am treated. I have no idea how people act like that to someone just because they're an intern.

It would make more sense maybe if I were like a PGY3 and had a reputation for being an idiot or a jackass or whatever. But I am literally treated like dog**** by people I'm meeting for the first time. The only thing they know about me is my name and that I'm an intern.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't make any sense to me. I've never treated anybody in my entire life like I am treated. I have no idea how people act like that to someone just because they're an intern.

It would make more sense maybe if I were like a PGY3 and had a reputation for being an idiot or a jackass or whatever. But I am literally treated like dog**** by people I'm meeting for the first time. The only thing they know about me is my name and that I'm an intern.
Worst part is your attending will take your side last over everyone else's. It's quite a precarious situation to be in esp. if you're a prelim surgery resident. Actually a higher PGY gets more protection, not less.

I'm going to laugh when he matches in like nebraska or something. Or if he also applied gen surg maybe we will be neighbors here in the central valley of California. Mwahahaha
I thought Gen Surg was the specialty he was going for?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYC is the worst for residency in terms of nurses unions who don't do ****.
I would rather go to Nebraska than NYC. At least, I can buy a nice house in Omaha and live comfortably.

Reactions: 1 user
Worst part is your attending will take your side last over everyone else's. It's quite a precarious situation to be in esp. if you're a prelim surgery resident. Actually a higher PGY gets more protection, not less.

It's stupid. They all just shake their heads and go, "Oh, that's just Sue, she's always like that." Wait, Sue is known for being an dingus to people for no reason and bad at her job? I would get written up if I acted like this once or fired if I did it repeatedly.

I would rather go to Nebraska than NYC. At least, I can buy a nice house there and live comfortably.
Me too. NYC is filled with degenerates.

It's stupid. They all just shake their heads and go, "Oh, that's just Sue, she's always like that." Wait, Sue is known for being an dingus to people for no reason and bad at her job? I would get written up if I acted like this once or fired if I did it repeatedly.
That's bc Sue has a union to protect her. You don't. Be lucky they tell you Sue is like that and not to worry about her. At many programs, PDs and attendings are more than happy to take Sue's word over yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's bc Sue has a union to protect her. You don't. Be lucky they tell you Sue is like that and not to worry about her. At many programs, PDs and attendings are more than happy to take Sue's word over yours.

Just counting the days until I get out of the ICU and this den of pissed off, malignant nurses and RTs.

But he is the Prince!
Yes, but she can ask him why he likes Vascular so much. He can't be that much enamored with the tunica media, intima, and adventitia.

Just counting the days until I get out of the ICU and this den of pissed off, malignant nurses and RTs.
That has to be one of the worst part (one of many) of general surgery residency, being kicked by the nurses and your attending not even defending you or believing a nurse over you. It's quite degrading IMHO.

Yes, but she can ask him why he likes Vascular so much. He can't be that much enamored with the tunica media, intima, and adventitia.
People I know in vascular surgery seem to be pretty happy. It is beyond me how they are able to tolerate the lifestyle though.

That has to be one of the worst part (one of many) of general surgery residency, being kicked by the nurses and your attending not even defending you or believing a nurse over you. It's quite degrading IMHO.

Actually the surgical parts have been very pleasant (aside from the cardiovascular OR staff). This is a combined medical/surgical ICU run by pulmonary intensivists.

So I blame you ****ing medicine people.

Actually the surgical parts have been very pleasant (aside from the cardiovascular OR staff). This is a combined medical/surgical ICU run by pulmonary intensivists.

So I blame you ******* medicine people.
Oh medicine interns are definitely treated like **** in the ICU. How much the attending/PD defends interns/residents varies greatly.

People I know in vascular surgery seem to be pretty happy. It is beyond me how they are able to tolerate the lifestyle though.
Mimelim is a vascular fellow. I'm not surprised. People in vascular really love their job. Lifestyle is not an issue for them, bc they really love the work they do. I'd just do vein work, if it was me.

She mentioned vascular which has integrated programs or can be a fellowship after gen surg. Not familiar enough with that path to know if you usually apply for both or not.
Prob like plastics. Where you apply for integrated programs and categorical gen surg programs.

Welcome to my M3 surgery rotation. People speak about how they loved their surgery rotation and I can only smh. I really wanted to like it, but having an entire two months of being constantly degraded, insulted (both openly and passive-aggressively) and ignored turned me off of the field entirely. I try to separate my experience with that of the field in general. Logically, I can justify that separation; in reality, I can't and will likely never pursue a career in surgery. I know my ****, and am ridiculously respectful, polite and well-mannered to everybody on the wards.

I noticed scrub techs and floor nurses being particularly terrible. How some of these drunguses aren't fired is beyond me.

Last edited:
Welcome to my M3 surgery rotation. People speak about how they loved their surgery rotation and I can only smh. I really wanted to like it, but having an entire two months of being constantly degraded, insulted (both openly and passive-aggressively) and ignored turned me off of the field entirely. I try to separate my experience with that of the field in general. Logically, I can justify that separation; in reality, I can't and will likely never pursue a career in surgery. I am a top student in my class, and ridiculously respectful, polite and well-mannered to everybody on the wards.

I noticed scrub techs and floor nurses being particularly terrible. How some of these drunguses aren't fired is beyond me.
Did u make everyone else aware that you were the top student in the class?

Reactions: 1 users
They need to be intelligent enough to ace step I that's all !

Welcome to my M3 surgery rotation. People speak about how they loved their surgery rotation and I can only smh. I really wanted to like it, but having an entire two months of being constantly degraded, insulted (both openly and passive-aggressively) and ignored turned me off of the field entirely. I try to separate my experience with that of the field in general. Logically, I can justify that separation; in reality, I can't and will likely never pursue a career in surgery. I know my ****, and am ridiculously respectful, polite and well-mannered to everybody on the wards.

Did u make everyone else aware that you knew your ****?

Being a surgeon doesn't make one alpha male. All you have to do is say" do you even lift bro?" That'll emasculate him really quickly. Oh, and to be a female surgeon, you need to be 6 ft 4, feminist, with a chip on your shoulder.

Jk

Reactions: 2 users
Out of 11 pages approximately 1.5 were about female surgeon personalities

Out of 11 pages approximately 1.5 were about female surgeon personalities
That's bc it prob only took 1.5 pages to answer such an inane question.

not having read the entire thread, that said:

Female and male surgeons should possess many of the same personality traits (which are likely held by other medical professionals and non-med people). Though it's true gender plays a role (subconscious or otherwise), at the end of the day, a surgeon is a physician and a human being. Be reasonable, confident, humble, decent...and yes, calm. Absolutely calm. Be good at what you do, and nice to people, and you'll likely be respected; in many ways, this trumps gender and profession, at least in the long run.

Don't under any circumstances bully a nurse. They actually run the OR, and are an integral part of the team necessary in providing excellent care. I suppose the surgeon can be viewed as "captain" of a team (for that single procedure), emphasis on TEAM and not CAPTAIN. The roll of the captain is to help things run smoothly. Thus, everyone on that team should be met with respect and professionalism (that's not to say one cannot critique when necessary, but do so tactfully). Truth is, the OR doesn't run without the nurses, and a surgeon who thinks otherwise will shortly find themselves in hot water. It's a team sport, which means respect and trust are paramount to success.

On that note, a female surgeon who is untoward nurses is uncouth and especially unattractive (I suppose one could argue that there is a bit of a double-standard here). All the more reason not to be an ass. Just do your job, know your stuff, don't be a pain, and be decent...

EDIT: having read thread briefly, appears the focus isn't so much on the original question. My bad!

That's why you work your way up. You start by earning minimum wage. Then you get better and better jobs, and, eventually, you can make a respectable earning. Dealing drugs can be lucrative, but you risk ending up in the slammer. You disregard hard work and honesty. There's something called the American Dream, and drug dealing is not encompassed by that notion.

Crazy entitlement here man. Many fail to obtain the American dream despite their best efforts. Straight up too conservative

Last edited:
Nurses hitting on you and treating you like crap are not mutually exclusive

a great measure of attractiveness is how the nurses treat you regardless of marital status

Mimelim is a vascular fellow. I'm not surprised. People in vascular really love their job. Lifestyle is not an issue for them, bc they really love the work they do. I'd just do vein work, if it was me.
Yup. I don't think I'll never meet a Vascular surgeon who doesn't like their job, but it seems like they are generally content with it. And enjoy teaching it, too. The people at my department just hate how little time med students/interns/residents spend in Vascular.

The wonderful program I was at showed me just how... malignant some programs can be. Given the fact that this program has no ranking status in the nation and M&M generally involves mistakes that make your jaw drop (especially since they're repeat mistakes) and never any real prevention strategies...
I was more shocked, however, in how they treated the medical students. The MS3s are pretty much treated like the lowest of the low. They condescend almost all the time and make them feel like complete **** every time they get a question wrong. A fellow lectured two of them on how poorly they were doing because they didn't know the grading criteria for pancreatic fistulas. Or the NCCN guidelines for the treatment of the different types of breast lesions. The hours they made them do were also shady... they didn't leave until 7pm a lot of times and were coming in at 4:30am. They had zero time to study.
It also didn't help that they mandated medical students wear scrubs a different color than all staff...
I was told not to give them advice on the shelf exam because I didn't know as much as the staff did... when I said the surgery shelf is 99% medicine. They're telling them to study the indications for different procedures and how they should know the different types of hernias because it's tested on the exam.
The laughable part - a student was told that his clinical performance was borderline and almost warranted a failure. This guy was performing like any MS3 would... I didn't know what to say.

a great measure of attractiveness is how the nurses treat you regardless of marital status

You mean they act mean to hot people? Because that explains why I'm in so much trouble *badoom psshhht*

Reactions: 1 users