What do I want to do? MD/PhD or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md1251

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am an Anthropology undergraduate major and a current applicant in this cycle. I applied and got in to NJMS, and want to get in to RWJ as well (I have interviewed) because of their Anthropology MD/PhD program. I am asking this question because I know I want to be a doctor and work with people in treating their pain, but I am also very very interested in the impact of issues such as immigration/undocumentation on people’s physical health and the medical system in general, and how colonization has shaped Western medicine. I really want to be working as a doctor and also researching on the side, perhaps 50/50 but moreso 70/30. I don’t know if I should pursue applying to such a program because I’m not sure if it even aligns with my goals. I have a couple years of anthropology research, nothing crazy though. I am more asking about if I should consider this pathway rather than whether or not I am qualified (although I know they go hand in hand).

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are exactly what an MD-PhD should be - curious, passionate, and interesting. Go forth and learn!

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to talk about what applying as a non-traditional (non-biomedical) PhD seeker to MD-PhD programs, feel free to send me a PM! In the middle of my cycle right now, but also applying to non-traditional MD-PhD programs.

Reactions: 1 user