Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was at the interview today and they said it would take about 3-4weeks to hear our decisions. For those who already interviewed, did they actually take the entire 3 weeks?

They also said they only send out decisions over snail mail, but I thought many people on sdn were notified over phone?

I actually found out over BanWeb first. I believe that status changes before they get a chance to call and before the snail mail arrived.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here 3/10 and just got my letter of deferred acceptance. Hope this update helps others.

I interviewed here 3/10 and just got my letter of deferred acceptance. Hope this update helps others.
Wait....don't you have to submit deferred acceptance not the other way around? Or did you mean something else by deferred acceptance?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The letter said there was no room in the current class but I was accepted for 2017.

The letter said there was no room in the current class but I was accepted for 2017.
That is peculiar....someone said they had 160 students and I know Western takes up to 220 students....seems a bit early for that.

I'm pretty sure everyone who is offered a deferred acceptance gets in for the current year as they offer seats to them before people on the waitlist. So u should be good! ☺️

I just called Martha and found that the class is indeed filled....so based on the posts above, it seems that from 3/31 to 4/1,, 60 people were accepted ?? which to me, is a bit unfathomable.
She also said there are about 20 people on the deferred acceptance list, followed by about 70 alternates.
as for the alternates movement, she said all 70 alternates ended up getting accepted last year, whereas only 2 alternates got in the year before that.
It would be impossible to predict how this year is going to be...

Anyone looking for a roommate? I'll be moving to Pomona in July and hoping to live with another first year student.

Reactions: 1 user
I just called Martha and found that the class is indeed filled....so based on the posts above, it seems that from 3/31 to 4/1,, 60 people were accepted ?? which to me, is a bit unfathomable.
She also said there are about 20 people on the deferred acceptance list, followed by about 70 alternates.
as for the alternates movement, she said all 70 alternates ended up getting accepted last year, whereas only 2 alternates got in the year before that.
That is odd that they would say that they have approx 60 seats left to fill on 3/31, then they just filled up the rest of them. I remember them mentioning the variants in the alternates acceptances. Did they accepted, rejected or waitlisted the 3/10 dates before the 31st right? So did they just start taking off the waitlist? That is kind of lame for the school to say they had that many seats open when in reality that is not the case. Life man...

Members don't see this ad :)
That is odd that they would say that they have approx 60 seats left to fill on 3/31, then they just filled up the rest of them. They accepted, rejected or waitlisted the 3/10 dates before the 31st right? So did they just start taking off the waitlist? That is kind of lame for the school to say they had that many seats open when in reality that is not the case. Life man...

They probably only say that on 3/31 knowing that a large amount of students will be putting deposits down within the next few days and then the class becomes filled. When i interviewed back in january, they said the class wasn't even half filled yet, but they also told us that another set of deposits were due within the next few days.

They probably only say that on 3/31 knowing that a large amount of students will be putting deposits down within the next few days and then the class becomes filled. When i interviewed back in january, they said the class wasn't even half filled yet, but they also told us that another set of deposits were due within the next few days.
That makes sense. Still is a waste of peoples time just to interview for the waitlist, especially if they had to travel far.

If the class is full that means they have no room for alternatives..........unless people pull their seats if they are just reserving multiple seats to choose their choiceiest med school.

That makes sense. Still is a waste of peoples time just to interview for the waitlist, especially if they had to travel far.

If the class is full that means they have no room for alternatives..........unless people pull their seats if they are just reserving multiple seats to choose their choiceiest med school.

Agree. But she did say to expect waitlist movement starting around the end of May until... the day before the first day of class...:smack:

I was optimistic until finding out that there is such thing as deferred acceptance and that at least 20 people are ahead of me.:cryi::cryi:

since the admissions committee is meeting today, should 3/31 interview group be expecting a phone call or an email early next week?

I emailed the admissions counselor yesterday about future interviews. She replied this morning:
Our last interview day was held on Thursday, March 31st. please expect to receive an email notification in regards to the status of your application.

If you haven't gotten an invite yet, I'm afraid the cycle is over for you. If you are on waitlist post-interview, there's still a chance. She didn't tell me how many spots were left in the class though.

since the admissions committee is meeting today, should 3/31 interview group be expecting a phone call or an email early next week?
Yeah probably, but from what as been said in this forum it seems the class may be full.

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a 2br at the Daumier, and they said that there are only two left...if anyone is interested, PM me!

I know it's only been 1.5weeks, but did anyone from 3/31 interview hear back from Western? I thought that the admissions committee met last Thursday.

Interviewed 3/31, and got a deferred acceptance for the class of 2021!!! No change on Banweb.

I actually got neither. I just received my decision via regular mail this afternoon.

Did you choose to defer, or is that what they offered you?

That is what they offered me because their class of 2020 was full by the time they reviewed my application. They did say that they will offer seats to the deferred acceptances first before the alternates should a seat open up for this year's class though.

Did not get a letter yet, I think I am in the rejection pile. Congrats on those who got the recent acceptances.

Did not get a letter yet, I think I am in the rejection pile. Congrats on those who got the recent acceptances.
Lets hope you got one of those deferred acceptance at the very least

Does COMP use letter grading or pass fail?

Do they send rejection letters or emails? It has been over a month. I am pretty certain I am rejected but it would be nice to have them tell me my status if I am.

^ same. I never heard back from them since receiving my "hold for interview" status.

Do they send rejection letters or emails? It has been over a month. I am pretty certain I am rejected but it would be nice to have them tell me my status if I am.
Maybe you should try contacting the admissions office and tell them your situation?

Im thinking about buying a new laptop soon, as mine is about to malfunction pretty soon. I'm looking at the laptop requirements for the 2014-2015 academic year, and it says that they highly recommend a PC. Did any current students have any problems with using a Mac at Western?

Also, it says that they require 2USB ports, but I was thinking about getting the Macbook, which doesn't any any USB ports. Would this be a big problem at Western?

Im thinking about buying a new laptop soon, as mine is about to malfunction pretty soon. I'm looking at the laptop requirements for the 2014-2015 academic year, and it says that they highly recommend a PC. Did any current students have any problems with using a Mac at Western?

Also, it says that they require 2USB ports, but I was thinking about getting the Macbook, which doesn't any any USB ports. Would this be a big problem at Western?

at least 1/3 - 1/2 of the people in my class have MacBooks so you will be fine compatibility wise. Having USB isn't necessarily required but seems more like an inconvenience not to have. you could probably get a USB adaptor if needed.

at least 1/3 - 1/2 of the people in my class have MacBooks so you will be fine compatibility wise. Having USB isn't necessarily required but seems more like an inconvenience not to have. you could probably get a USB adaptor if needed.

thanks!

Hi I'm a student at Western and if anyone's still looking for a place to stay my studio is available. It's walking distance to school and is perfect for anyone doing SPaRC (the prep course) or ISAC (summer anatomy). PM me for details.

Does anyone know the exact date for the white coat ceremony this year?

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday, I'm leaning towards giving it up later today since I'm already so far in the process at another school. Just wanted to let people know there has been movement.

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday, I'm leaning towards giving it up later today since I'm already so far in the process at another school. Just wanted to let people know there has been movement.
Were you on the waitlist or deferred acceptance?