Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lj1230 said:
All in all I know I passed......
You're more confident than I am.

lj1230 said:
it is hard to judge how you think you did.....
Agreed.

Just glad to have that over with..... as long as I don't get a call in a month telling me that I'm getting yanked from my clerkship.

Only other think I have to say is that my head hurts

and it's almost time for me to go kill off some of those injured brain cells.... really hope that I don't end up needing the ones that are going to die tonight.

Members don't see this ad.

ddmo said:
1. The clinical rotations are the main draw to WSU as you get tons of experience. You put down preferences for where you want to do your rotations and a lottery is run. I got all of my choices except for one, which is pretty good.

2. The facilities are a low point, but are being improved. You should see the new third floor. Does it affect the education, no, I don't really see how it could. The color of the paint on the walls doesn't make learning pharm any easier. Don't be fooled, Wayne is as advanced technologically, if not more so, than any other medical school. We were one of the first to do the PDA thing, have streaming videoes of lectures, etc.

3. I don't think the large class size makes any difference. If anything it's just more people to get to know. In terms of lecture, what difference does it make if a person is lecturing to 1 or 300 people? You can get as much face time with a professor as you could ever want. They are always available and since about 95% of students never talk to them, you could have them almost all to yourself. We break up into smaller groups in the labs, so it's ~25 students per professor. Yes, they assign mentors who are physicians in the community, some of whom are very big in their fields. Mine first year was the VP of the american college of cardiology. Now mine is the surgery Chair at Henry Ford.

4. Patient population is about as diverse as you can get. It's pretty much different at every hospital. Although I think hispanics aren't as prevalent in Detroit as other major cities, they do get a good share at Henry Ford since it is closest to Mexicantown.

5. Yes, through the World Health Organization

6. I know of some cars around school that have been broken into and stolen, but not of any violence against medical students. The area is patroled by the Detroit Police, Wayne State Police, Veterans Hospital Police, and DMC Security, who's jurisdictions all kind of overlap where the medical school is.

7. Overall, I'm pleased with my decision to attend Wayne and have never had regrets.

agreed.

should i be really depressed about starting year 2? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
fun8stuff said:
agreed.

Not depressed, just nervous. It's much much harder than 1st year once the pathophys unit gets under way. I found immuno/micro to be the easiest part of the year (and enjoyed it a lot more too). I thought it was very challenging to learn new material and be tested on it every two weeks. Every exam I felt like I needed another week to study. I basically just got used to the fact that I'd never learn it all.

Any of ya'll get your z-scores for second year? I thought I had done better than what I got: same as first year. I guess I should be glad it didn't go down since second year was much harder, but my goal was to bring it up and that didn't happen. Now I'm disappointed and a little mad at myself.

fun8stuff said:
agreed.

Don't be depressed. But enjoy the summer as much as possible.

I also got my grade report.

Anyone else excited about starting year 3 tomorrow? It's going to be hard to get up at 8am and then sit thru a bunch of B.S. at orientation... but it'll be cool to see people again! And actually learn a few things we'll use like suturing!

katrinadams9 said:
Anyone else excited about starting year 3 tomorrow? It's going to be hard to get up at 8am and then sit thru a bunch of B.S. at orientation... but it'll be cool to see people again! And actually learn a few things we'll use like suturing!

i am jealous. please report how you like rotations!

To my fellow MS3s,

How are your current rotations treating y'all?

I don't know about the rest of you but my team started off super slow - I think we actually physically saw less than 5 patients total during the first two days. But things are changing - my senior's pager was going off constantly today.

I've had a great experience so far (OBGYN Providence). Everyone has been really cool, and I scrubbed in on four surgeries my first day post-orientation. The second day I was on call 8am-8am, and the babies kept coming so I didn't get more than 3 hours of sleep. I just slept 14 hours straight.

The first two years of med school were soul-killing for me. I did the bare minimum to pass, showed up only when required to. Suddenly I'm optimistic. And, from what I've seen so far, really grateful that I'll never have to push a person out through a pore in my body.

JonD-08 said:
I've had a great experience so far (OBGYN Providence). Everyone has been really cool, and I scrubbed in on four surgeries my first day post-orientation. The second day I was on call 8am-8am, and the babies kept coming so I didn't get more than 3 hours of sleep. I just slept 14 hours straight.

The first two years of med school were soul-killing for me. I did the bare minimum to pass, showed up only when required to. Suddenly I'm optimistic. And, from what I've seen so far, really grateful that I'll never have to push a person out through a pore in my body.

I know how you feel. Seeing these women push 7-8 lb babies out their hoo-hahs is making me never want to have kids (not that I was particularly fond of the idea before). I just finished my call night at Providence. I got to scrub in for 3 C-sections and witnessed one vaginal birth. I even got about 5 hours of sleep! I'm loving OB so far... just not sure I could handle the schedule long-term (plus the high malpractice insurance).

Well, I'm going to take a nap now. :)

hey WSU students. I hope you are enjoying your summer! I am a female WSU student looking for a female roommate. Let me know if you are interested! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you took the Boards before June 23rd, there is a good chance the school has your score report. Check the NBME website first, to see if today is reported as the score date. Then you can go into student affairs and get it.

Hi! I'm a new first year who will be starting in a few weeks. This is kind of a dumb question but do any of you second year students know how manditory all of the orientation is? It's not that I want to skip any of it but I have an important family event one afternoon that I would really like to attend. If I slipped out, would anybody notice? Thanks! I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks!

ddmo said:
If you took the Boards before June 23rd, there is a good chance the school has your score report. Check the NBME website first, to see if today is reported as the score date. Then you can go into student affairs and get it.

Holy **** I'm nervous!!! :eek: Thanks for the heads up!

sarahps said:
Hi! I'm a new first year who will be starting in a few weeks. This is kind of a dumb question but do any of you second year students know how manditory all of the orientation is? It's not that I want to skip any of it but I have an important family event one afternoon that I would really like to attend. If I slipped out, would anybody notice? Thanks! I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks!

I’ve been hearing rumors that orientation is getting substantially revamped for your class – so I don’t know how accurate anything that we could tell you would be. Those rumors include having a BCLS class during orientation - which would be very mandatory.

You could always find out who your class councilor is going to be and contact them to see if you can get “officially excused” from the orientation events that afternoon.

ddmo said:

Yikes, I wonder if that is why I had a nightmare a couple of nights ago that I failed step one with a score that was so low it didn’t even warrant a three-digit score.

anyone know how long it takes for scores to be mailed to us? I just don't think I will be able to make it to wayne to get my results since I am on surgery this rotation... Thanks!

lj1230 said:
anyone know how long it takes for scores to be mailed to us? I just don't think I will be able to make it to wayne to get my results since I am on surgery this rotation... Thanks!

I think that I heard that if your scores were released today you should get them in the mail before next Monday - probably on Friday or Saturday.

I wish they'd just email the scores to us. It's not like an HIV test or something you'd actually need to go in for.

Though I'm about as terrified.

I just got my envelope in the mail. I'm too chicken to open it. I think I'll wait til my hubby gets home and have him give me the news. I just don't want to be alone if it's bad news... :scared:

Suggestions on books for Year 2 ? and Boards ??

For Year 2, I have Liipincotts Illustrated Pharm (and Biochem), Immuno Short Course, Medical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, and Dubin's Rapid EKG book, and might have an old BRS Pathology packed away.

For Boards, I have '06 First Aid, BRS series for Gross, Histo, Physio, and Nuero (and possibly Pathology), and plan on getting Kaplan's Home Study Black Books, and Qbank. Also have the UCV series books.

I keep hearing of another book for Immuno, and a lot about Robbin's texts for Path, though Robbins has several under the name, and more books that use name Robbins in the title but different authors.

Thanks, :eek: :confused: :)

I hate to break the flow of the thread, but I noticed that the LCME is going to review the school this year. Any news about that?

airferret said:
Suggestions on books for Year 2 ? and Boards ??

For Year 2, I have Liipincotts Illustrated Pharm (and Biochem), Immuno Short Course, Medical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, and Dubin's Rapid EKG book, and might have an old BRS Pathology packed away.

For Boards, I have '06 First Aid, BRS series for Gross, Histo, Physio, and Nuero (and possibly Pathology), and plan on getting Kaplan's Home Study Black Books, and Qbank. Also have the UCV series books.

I keep hearing of another book for Immuno, and a lot about Robbin's texts for Path, though Robbins has several under the name, and more books that use name Robbins in the title but different authors.

Thanks, :eek: :confused: :)

If you buy Step Up and find the BRS Path book, you are pretty much set for Year 2. There are so many notes that you won't find the time to go through that many additional texts except right before the exam when you need a quick review. I would also recommend buying IV Q-bank from Kaplan because it is all long vignettes and teaches you how the USMLE wants you to think (you'll see what I mean).

As for the Kaplan books, you can use either the black or white ones so long as you supplement the white ones with other review sources (esp 1st aid, step up, and BRS path). I've heard the text in the black ones is denser, and I found the white ones to be rather quick to get through.

That was my strategy and my score came out more than fine :D

Warning: don't only listen to me or other people; make sure you come up with your own study strategy and schedule throughout year 2 and for board prep. Do what works for you.

Hey guys,

Entering 2010 Class and I have been out of school since April 05. I wanted some advice before starting class on what to do. Should I look up what books to get? Would love some good advice before starting :)

Thanks!!!!

shad420w said:
Hey guys,

Entering 2010 Class and I have been out of school since April 05. I wanted some advice before starting class on what to do. Should I look up what books to get? Would love some good advice before starting :)

Thanks!!!!

Have fun.
Relax.
Rest up.
Do something else for fun.
Relax some more.
Maybe, work/save up some $.
Don't worry about doing anything to "get ready" prior to orientation (other than figuring out your housing).
Ask us about books again in August.

Can any current students help me with this?
I need a new computer, and this thread makes a tablet look really appealing to me. But the question is, will this actually be useful at Wayne? ie, are the lecture notes/power point slides available online? Should I not spend the extra money for a tablet, and save it for the PDA instead? Thanks for any help.

I am looking to buy the following books...

Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple : Bill Trattler, Mark Gladwin (Paperback, 2001)

BRS Pathology : Arthur S. Schneider, Philip A. Szanto (Paperback, 2005)

Step-Up : Adam Mirarchi, Edmund A. Milder M.D., Eugene Milder, Samir Mehta (Paperback, 2003)

Any of you guys still have these and are willing to part (for $$, of course)?

rux said:
I need a new computer, and this thread makes a tablet look really appealing to me. But the question is, will this actually be useful at Wayne? ie, are the lecture notes/power point slides available online? Should I not spend the extra money for a tablet, and save it for the PDA instead? Thanks for any help.

How much do you want to end up spending?
WSU-SOM will have you buying a PDA at some point during your time there - so do you want to have both a tablet and a PDA?

I don't recall seeing many tablets around school during MS1 and MS2, but I don't know why that was.

rux said:
some guy has a tablet in our class... it looked very useful for gross anatomy lectures when certain profs would lecture only with netter diagrams.... he could pull the slides up and write right on them. I am not sure how we faired, but it looked like a good idea... not sure how helpful it would be for other classes. I would rather get a cool laptop and PDA, given you are going to have to get a PDA eventually than get a PDA and a tablet.

So, I'm not sure why I expected any different, but I'm trying to finalize daycare for my kids for the semester - so I went out to download the calendar to my PDA - and wow, there's no schedule, so I call and ask, and they say "We'll have it to you Monday . . . . Maybe" WTF, Monday?!?!?! Classes start a week from Monday. Dammit

mendel121 said:
So, I'm not sure why I expected any different, but I'm trying to finalize daycare for my kids for the semester - so I went out to download the calendar to my PDA - and wow, there's no schedule, so I call and ask, and they say "We'll have it to you Monday . . . . Maybe" WTF, Monday?!?!?! Classes start a week from Monday. Dammit

Know in advance that you cannot trust the schedule that they give you. First, forget about Monday; the earliest they will have it ready for you will be the Friday before classes start if not on the morning of. Second, there will be so many schedule changes that you may as well toss it in the recycling bin as soon as you get it. The only schedule you can trust is the one that you can log into from owa, and only one day in advance. Don't bother syncing your PDA with the schedule because you will end up with several repeats of each hour due to the changes.

deowolf04 said:
Know in advance that you cannot trust the schedule that they give you. First, forget about Monday; the earliest they will have it ready for you will be the Friday before classes start if not on the morning of. Second, there will be so many schedule changes that you may as well toss it in the recycling bin as soon as you get it. The only schedule you can trust is the one that you can log into from owa, and only one day in advance. Don't bother syncing your PDA with the schedule because you will end up with several repeats of each hour due to the changes.

I figured the whole trust the schedule thing out pretty eraly on last year, but for the most part, the start and end times for the day as a whole were fairly accurate - and ussually the required stuff was pretty stable.

Amazingly enough, they just sent an email with the schedule - a new leaf being turned over for Wayne?

Should I bother with the 106 dollar Basis of Disease or just get the BRS Path instead?

In other news, holy **** 2nd year starts in a week!

inked_caduceus said:
Should I bother with the 106 dollar Basis of Disease or just get the BRS Path instead?

In other news, holy **** 2nd year starts in a week!

Just get BRS. You won't have time to read a bunch of extaneous stuff.

fun8stuff said:
some guy has a tablet in our class... it looked very useful for gross anatomy lectures when certain profs would lecture only with netter diagrams.... he could pull the slides up and write right on them. I am not sure how we faired, but it looked like a good idea... not sure how helpful it would be for other classes. I would rather get a cool laptop and PDA, given you are going to have to get a PDA eventually than get a PDA and a tablet.

Your mailbox is full.

What, nobody's on at 4:24? Oh right. The first and second years don't have to procrastinate just yet.

In other news, are there any other non-first years going to the "meat market" party on Monday? I never went to my orientation parties, so I'm thinking it should be fun to watch this time around. :)

Hey 3rd and 4th years!

Do any of you guys remember getting any course work on Women's Reproductive health during 2nd year? For ex.: Any mention of birth control options, infertility issues, menopause, pregnancy, etc?

If you do remember something, can you let me know what exactly it was? Thank you for your help!!!

Soleil

I was in the medical bookstore today and saw a bunch of books on their used rack (cash only) that many of you second years are going to want - so get on down there.

The books on the rack included Micro made ridiculously simple, immuno, etc. All looked new to me - I think that they are just looking to get rid of some overstock.

To my fellow MS3s,
I assume that most of the rest of you got the letter from WSU Parking that said unless you contacted them and told them otherwise then they were going to assume that you wanted to buy a parking permit this year and were going to bill you ($450) for it.
I had been hearing rumors that it was possible to buy parking by the month (save on that walk across the parking lot in snowy January), so I asked the person at the Parking Office while I had them on the phone. Turns out that it is possible to buy parking from them by the month – for a mere $180/month :eek: .
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think that I’ll just put some cash on my OneCard and use that on the days that it’s too cold (or I'm running too late) to make the hike from the old Hutzel parking structure.

I just got word from the office of admissions today that there will be a 5.8% tuition increase. They will bill the increase after registration I believe since there isn't enough time to take care of it now. They just increased it by like 18% last year alone!!! Is there anyone out there looking out for our interests?

Jon Davis said:
Is there anyone out there looking out for our interests?

No. I'm seriously disenchanted with Wayne at this point and expect nothing from them except BS. They will get what they give in the long run, when the current students are the docs they will be banking on for donations in 20-30 years. This is one person who plans on giving nothing except a big "f- you".

to any 2nd years that still need immunology: a short course, or HY immunology message me, i was going to sell these at the amsa book sale but i think you begin class before that takes place. both in great shape.

hi there!

me is the new rookie in da forum, wht shuld i do to proceed the discuss my study... can u help me>>>>>>>>>>>>>.................

monocyte17 said:
hi there!

me is the new rookie in da forum, wht shuld i do to proceed the discuss my study... can u help me>>>>>>>>>>>>>.................

I must say, the WSU adcom never fails to find the diamonds in the rough.

Flobber said:
I must say, the WSU adcom never fails to find the diamonds in the rough.

I must say that I was completely lost as well. The finer points of grammer and spelling, not to mention capitalization and punctuation, seem to be lost on many a person once they begin to type on the internet. Don't people realize how hard it is to read non-english? I feel like a kintergartener sometimes, I have to read pho-ne-ti-cal-ly to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.