Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmoothNC said:
What is going on here? Is Wayne notorious for telling different people different things? Because when I just called, I was told that only 5 people have been offered off the alternate list and that the class is "full". I find that extremely hard to believe because I personally know more than 5 who withdrew acceptances to Wayne. And the fact that Wayne intially accepts the exact number of the class size before May-15th makes it impossible to only have 5 open spots. In years past, a large percentage of the class has come from the alternate list....I don't see why that would change this year, and I don't know why the admissions office would straight up lie either. Oh well, I guess all I can do is wait.

how do you know they accept the exact number? Most schools accept more people than they initially plan to matriculate because they know historically a certain number always decide to go somewhere else. Although I have not specifically talked to wayne about this, why would wayne be any different?

Members don't see this ad.

fun8stuff said:
how do you know they accept the exact number? Most schools accept more people than they initially plan to matriculate because they know historically a certain number always decide to go somewhere else. Although I have not specifically talked to wayne about this, why would wayne be any different?

That is 100% true - Wayne accepts more people than their are seats, knowing that there will be those that refuse.
I am not saying this is a fact, but a good source once told me- they accept like 400 students a year, initially that is.

fun8stuff said:

Damn you guys are students......you should know that Wayne says specifically that they accept "1/6 of the class" on each offer date. So if the class size is 250+, they accept 1/6 of that number each date. That is what they say.......and if they are lying about that, then oh well, that is madd unprofessional and I'd rather not attend, especially after I see how much students complain about the inefficiency etc. of the faculty

Members don't see this ad :)
SmoothNC said:
Damn you guys are students......you should know that Wayne says specifically that they accept "1/6 of the class" on each offer date. So if the class size is 250+, they accept 1/6 of that number each date. That is what they say.......and if they are lying about that, then oh well, that is madd unprofessional
few options:
1. they didn’t tell us that when we applied
2. they did and we don’t remember
3. we didn’t play attention to what they said about that because in the long run it really doesn’t matter.
4. we have more important things to remember now and consequently don’t really care that much about the whole med school application process (if you want to get our attention start talking about the residency application process)
5. I vaguely recall them saying that the class is full after the sixth date, how does your math explain the fact that they have most likely had some folks (that were accepted earlier) withdrawal from the class by that time?

SmoothNC said:
and I'd rather not attend, especially after I see how much students complain about the inefficiency etc. of the faculty
1. if that is truly how you feel than turn down the spot if one is offered to you – someone will be glad to take it
2. or you could even make the other people on the alternate list happy by removing yourself from the list
3. do you really think that the inefficiencies and other things that we vent about are really not issues at other schools? I don’t; maybe different but intrinsic to all schools.

oldjeeps said:
few options:
1. they didn’t tell us that when we applied
2. they did and we don’t remember
3. we didn’t play attention to what they said about that because in the long run it really doesn’t matter.
4. we have more important things to remember now and consequently don’t really care that much about the whole med school application process (if you want to get our attention start talking about the residency application process)
5. I vaguely recall them saying that the class is full after the sixth date, how does your math explain the fact that they have most likely had some folks (that were accepted earlier) withdrawal from the class by that time?

1. if that is truly how you feel than turn down the spot if one is offered to you – someone will be glad to take it
2. or you could even make the other people on the alternate list happy by removing yourself from the list
3. do you really think that the inefficiencies and other things that we vent about are really not issues at other schools? I don’t; maybe different but intrinsic to all schools.

Well said. That's exactly what I thought when reading this dude/dudette's posts. :thumbup:

Wayne isn't that bad. I know its no Michigan or Northwestern, but we are still a decent school.

And I agree with everyone else. I think most of us care less about the admission process and we don't remember the exact details. Just like I bet you don't remember the details of the admissions statistics when you got accepted to your undergrad school. But it does make sense to accept more students then the full class. Because logically alot of people are going to withdraw their acceptances to go to other schools. So I really doubt that the school will accept the exact number of students for the class of 2010 at the 6th day they accept students.

Again, I wish you the best, I remember the process of applying and I really hated it. Going from city to city and trying to sell myself. My god that sucked. And I remember being on the waiting list for Tufts and then being rejected. It did kind of hurt. So I hope you don't go what I went through

SmoothNC said:
Damn you guys are students......you should know that Wayne says specifically that they accept "1/6 of the class" on each offer date. So if the class size is 250+, they accept 1/6 of that number each date. That is what they say.......and if they are lying about that, then oh well, that is madd unprofessional and I'd rather not attend, especially after I see how much students complain about the inefficiency etc. of the faculty

For someone who asks so many questions about wayne admission policy, I don't think it is wise to just start insulting the school or the students who attend. To be honest, you would be lucky if you get accepted anywhere.

If this guy was as much of a tool in his interview as he is on here, it's no wonder why they didn't accept him. I can just imagine him as an MS1, spazzing out the first time something goes wrong: "You LIED, Dr. Roe! You said you'd post the slides yesterday and they weren't up til today and you LIED! You embody UNPROFESSIONAL!" Maybe they'll let him in for comic relief.

Have any of you guys done the free practice Q's released by the USMLE people? I just did the first block and did suprisingly well.... I'm just wondering if the questions were really easy or if my studying is starting to pay off. Maybe the next 2 blocks are harder. If you want explanations for the answers, the Kaplan website has 'em.

Soleil9 said:
Hey Mendel (et al),

The OSCE and final grades are up for 1st year clin med. Ugh. I'm average.. Again. I hate being average. Why can't I be outstanding? Grr....

Be glad you were average. I got ****ed on the OSCE. My person gave me an 80! I asked everything f#$ing question.

I was walking with my roomate and talking about this. He said for the SOAP notes, even though they said they wanted it short, they wanted us to put EVERYTHING in them. Im thinking thats what screwed me.

Then my small group gave me just as bad of a grade- so I go from honoring the tests to having like a 440 in the class b/c of those two f#@$ing things, and now CLIN MED IS MY WORST CLASS! WTF

Hi- I juse got my PD grade for the OSCE?
Was anyone, other than me, a little suprised by their grade.
I did not do so well, and I am a little upset with my grade.

Hey everyone,

I apologize as I'm sure this is bad timing to ask w/ everybody prepping for the boards, but I'm going to be an MS1 next year and had a couple quick questions some of you might be able to help with. (1) Do you recommend specific board review materials over others (i.e. first-aid, Qbank, high yield, etc)?...seeing as how I know virtually nothing about the board prep process, and (2) does anyone have any advice on how to approach the residency application process? I know for example, if I could go back, I would've done things much differently in my approach towards appying for med school starting w/ my first year of undergrad. Any advice would be great, thanks! And good luck with the studying :)

RollingStone said:
Hey everyone,

I apologize as I'm sure this is bad timing to ask w/ everybody prepping for the boards, but I'm going to be an MS1 next year and had a couple quick questions some of you might be able to help with. (1) Do you recommend specific board review materials over others (i.e. first-aid, Qbank, high yield, etc)?...seeing as how I know virtually nothing about the board prep process, and (2) does anyone have any advice on how to approach the residency application process? I know for example, if I could go back, I would've done things much differently in my approach towards appying for med school starting w/ my first year of undergrad. Any advice would be great, thanks! And good luck with the studying :)

All you will hear through-out 1st & 2nd year is that to do well on boards, you should just focus on doing well in your classes. I kind of thought that was BS, but now that I'm studying, I'm finding it to be correct. The classes that I did really well in or exams I honored in Pathophys are sooooo much easier to study than the others. For boards, you will need 1st Aid & Q-bank. Your other supplemental material will be up to you. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you use Kaplan books, High Yield books, or BRS. It's the amount of TIME you spend learning the material. About applying for residency, can't really help you since that's a year away.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Welcome to Wayne!

I'm just finishing 1st year, and I found I used BRS books alot during class. I wsa addicted to BRS Anatomy, Neuro, and Phys especially. I will probably be using these books for my board review as well. This was something that our acedmic counselor here suggested. Using board review books as study tools as you go through the class, and then you have a familiar resource for board review. So, I'd suggest picking these up (esp. if you can get a clean, used copy). Do the current board studiers think this is a good idea?

oldjeeps said:
For anyone that hasn't seen the coverage. From today's Free Press.

WSU orthopedics training program Oakwood bound

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/BUSINESS06/606060383

OK, my first thought was: I don't have time for the news, I can't even get the (to-be) nursery cleaned out! :scared: Let alone find shelf/cupboard space for all the stuff that I seem to be collecting for baby lately.

Second thought: Maybe I should read this because it may pertian to my medical career. :oops:

Thoughts after reading: Interesting! I wonder what other programs will be moving. I don't know that much about the Oakwood system, but honestly could it be any worse than the DMC? :smuggrin:

gbiz said:
Be glad you were average. I got ****ed on the OSCE. My person gave me an 80! I asked everything f#$ing question.

I was walking with my roomate and talking about this. He said for the SOAP notes, even though they said they wanted it short, they wanted us to put EVERYTHING in them. Im thinking thats what screwed me.

Then my small group gave me just as bad of a grade- so I go from honoring the tests to having like a 440 in the class b/c of those two f#@$ing things, and now CLIN MED IS MY WORST CLASS! WTF

i'm in the same boat... which is why i am pretty pissed about the whole subjectivity of the osce and small group. i asked every question and was one of the main contributers in small group... guess what.. i have talked to every person but 2 from my small group and our doc gave us all 80s.. the class avg was over 90... WTF?

yeah, that's what happened to me too last year. That 80% really hurts.

I can't believe that the day I fail the boards is coming soon. I knew this day was coming, damn it! Am I the only one who didn't start pathophys yet?

Our small group guy gave everyone 80% too last year.... really pulled down my clin med grade....

Well only 9 more days till I take STEP 1....... kinda scary (anyone have a good idea to what a good q-bank % is)

Shangal said:
I can't believe that the day I fail the boards is coming soon. I knew this day was coming, damn it! Am I the only one who didn't start pathophys yet?

:eek: :eek: :eek: Yeah, I daresay you are the only one.

How far is everyone in q-bank? I'm only 20% done. I've been doing the Robbins Path Review too though. And the USMLE released q's. Just did NBME form 1 today....

katrinadams9 said:
How far is everyone in q-bank? I'm only 20% done. I've been doing the Robbins Path Review too though. And the USMLE released q's. Just did NBME form 1 today....

For Q-bank, I reached 50% today. I haven't started the robbins path review yet. I'm going to start those questions on Friday.

Can someone please fill me in on all these different questions....I recently downloaded 150 released questions...I thought they were from USMLE. The answers/descriptions were on the Kaplan website. Are they different from the NMBE ones??

Thanks.

hey katrina, since you did kaplan Q-bank and NBME, can you tell me what you think average is really supposed to be for Kaplan Q-bank?

Do you think a 65% is average?

Ahhh, I hate studying so much! All I have left is pathophys and almost 3 more weeks of studying. My god, I have to do pathophys in 10 days! Why does god hate me

The problem with Q-bank is that the averages can vary quite a bit depending on the question set. I've gotten 85%+ then turned around and gotten 50% the next time, wtf????? It seems the general consensus is that if you can get around 70% avg, you are doing fine. One thing I was thinking about is that avg. on qbank is above avg on the actual exam. The majority of the people who will do poorly most likely aren't doing qbank. Plus, take into account that almost half of the people taking the exam are FMG's, and only about half of them even pass, it seems like doing avg. on qbank is decent.

I feel like the farther I get into this, the more I realize that the majority of the questions I get wrong would be that way regardless of how much I study. Does anyone else feel that way? I mean, it's not in any of the review books, or involves some convoluted logic in the application of a formula or graph, that I don't know and probably won't know come test time. Everyone I have talked to that's taken it says it more logic based than qbank, with lost of arrows, graphs, and if drug x does this and drug y does this, what's drug z kind of stuff. Scary.

Whatever, F it all, I starting to just want to take the stupid thing and be done with it.

p.s. our pharm dept. truly sucks.

Shangal said:
hey katrina, since you did kaplan Q-bank and NBME, can you tell me what you think average is really supposed to be for Kaplan Q-bank?

Do you think a 65% is average?

Ahhh, I hate studying so much! All I have left is pathophys and almost 3 more weeks of studying. My god, I have to do pathophys in 10 days! Why does god hate me

The NBME form one said that the average was 500. The scores supposedly range from 200 to 800. Assuming that an 800 is the highest score one could get, an 500/800 is about a 62.5%. That's pretty damn close to the q-bank average.

cutesuperjo said:
For Q-bank, I reached 50% today. I haven't started the robbins path review yet. I'm going to start those questions on Friday.

Can someone please fill me in on all these different questions....I recently downloaded 150 released questions...I thought they were from USMLE. The answers/descriptions were on the Kaplan website. Are they different from the NMBE ones??

Thanks.

Those 150 questions are different from the nbme ones. They are released from the same people though. The NBME exams let you hone in on areas that you need to work on (for me: GI, heme and respiratory). That and you don't find out the answers to the questions.... or maybe I did something wrong. I was hoping for a set of explanations at the end and all I got was my performance profile.

ddmo said:
The problem with Q-bank is that the averages can vary quite a bit depending on the question set. I've gotten 85%+ then turned around and gotten 50% the next time, wtf????? It seems the general consensus is that if you can get around 70% avg, you are doing fine. One thing I was thinking about is that avg. on qbank is above avg on the actual exam. The majority of the people who will do poorly most likely aren't doing qbank. Plus, take into account that almost half of the people taking the exam are FMG's, and only about half of them even pass, it seems like doing avg. on qbank is decent.

I feel like the farther I get into this, the more I realize that the majority of the questions I get wrong would be that way regardless of how much I study. Does anyone else feel that way? I mean, it's not in any of the review books, or involves some convoluted logic in the application of a formula or graph, that I don't know and probably won't know come test time. Everyone I have talked to that's taken it says it more logic based than qbank, with lost of arrows, graphs, and if drug x does this and drug y does this, what's drug z kind of stuff. Scary.

Whatever, F it all, I starting to just want to take the stupid thing and be done with it.

p.s. our pharm dept. truly sucks.

I totally agree, I feel the same way. That happened to me on regular tests too, though. No matter how much or how little I studied, I always got the same grade. I wouldn't worry about some of those Qbank questions that we never learned. In First-Aid it says that on the USMLE, they put in some impossible questions, and some "experimental" ones (how nice of them). The experimental questions don't count for your final score, they are just for research purposes. I'm sick of studying because I feel like I already know what I'm going to know, and more studying is not going to get me to suddenly get right questions I got wrong all year, if that makes sense. I guess everyone has a "brain capacity" and mine is full :p
And yes, our pharm dept. sucks. That's my worst subject.

CeLo said:
I totally agree, I feel the same way. That happened to me on regular tests too, though. No matter how much or how little I studied, I always got the same grade. I wouldn't worry about some of those Qbank questions that we never learned. In First-Aid it says that on the USMLE, they put in some impossible questions, and some "experimental" ones (how nice of them). The experimental questions don't count for your final score, they are just for research purposes. I'm sick of studying because I feel like I already know what I'm going to know, and more studying is not going to get me to suddenly get right questions I got wrong all year, if that makes sense. I guess everyone has a "brain capacity" and mine is full :p
And yes, our pharm dept. sucks. That's my worst subject.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way! I love it when I get a nice 85% on Q-bank, but then feel like sXXt when I turn around and get a 48%. I am sooooo sick of this studying. Being alone in the library all day, every day, when the weather is so nice had got to be one of the most depressing things! No one told me how lonely this whole process would make me:( I cannot wait until this is over...... Oh, and pharm is MY worst subject too....must be the pharm dept!

katrinadams9 said:
The NBME form one said that the average was 500. The scores supposedly range from 200 to 800. Assuming that an 800 is the highest score one could get, an 500/800 is about a 62.5%. That's pretty damn close to the q-bank average.

I don't think the three digit numbers correlate to percentages like that... I could be wrong, though.

Shangal, a 65% average for someone who isn't nearly close to done studying and hasn't started pathophys yet is pretty good. You'll be fine. Mine is permanently stuck at 68% at this point because I did way too many questions early on and now that I'm ~90% done with QBank (and still haven't finished path), I can't really seem to budge the score. All you can do is look at your recent performances on timed, random blocks of 50. When you are consistenly scoring 70%+, you are good to go.

Good luck everyone. I take the beast in 8 days. :scared:

good luck flobber

In 8 days you will be a free man, or woman, I have no idea what you are

The toughest part of studying is refusing to play cards with friends and not being able to watch games like I was planning on doing. For god's sake, the world cup is tommorrow! And I am stuck in the library. I think I am going to put that on my application when I apply for residency. I sacrificed watching the world cup for you bastards

Well good luck everyone. I hope everyone in our school aces this thing, and every student in every other school and all them FMGs fails it. I know I am evil

Shangal said:
good luck flobber

In 8 days you will be a free man, or woman, I have no idea what you are

The toughest part of studying is refusing to play cards with friends and not being able to watch games like I was planning on doing. For god's sake, the world cup is tommorrow! And I am stuck in the library. I think I am going to put that on my application when I apply for residency. I sacrificed watching the world cup for you bastards

Well good luck everyone. I hope everyone in our school aces this thing, and every student in every other school and all them FMGs fails it. I know I am evil

I am a pseudohermaphrodite... what's that mean then, 5-alpha reductase deficiency?? Blah, I already forgot that stuff. I think that my external genitalia were ambiguous until puberty, then they virilized. I also have testicles in my labia. Surgery is scheduled for Monday. Yeah, I'm hot.

Good luck everyone. I take the beast in 8 days. :scared:[/QUOTE]

Good Luck FLOBBER- you are a brave pseudohermaphrodite

Is anyone else having trouble with the random blocks of 50 on q-bank? My scores have actually been getting worse and it's freaking me out! :scared: Only 8 days left to study (not including today) before I take the exam. I'm thinking about pushing my exam back a day or two...

katrinadams9 said:
Is anyone else having trouble with the random blocks of 50 on q-bank? My scores have actually been getting worse and it's freaking me out! :scared: Only 8 days left to study (not including today) before I take the exam. I'm thinking about pushing my exam back a day or two...

Screw QBank... Kaplan is just a fear-mongering institution; they should work for the Bush administration. They'd fit right in.

I concur - especially w/ pharm, which is far more detailed than what we'll see on the real exam (according to the usmle forum on this site, memorizing 1st aid is enough for pharm). If you're going to take 1-2 more days to study then it's probably better if you know exactly what you plan to study in those 1-2 days. If you can't see it directly increasing your score, might as well just take the test and spend those days on the beach.

JonD-08 said:
I concur - especially w/ pharm, which is far more detailed than what we'll see on the real exam (according to the usmle forum on this site, memorizing 1st aid is enough for pharm). If you're going to take 1-2 more days to study then it's probably better if you know exactly what you plan to study in those 1-2 days. If you can't see it directly increasing your score, might as well just take the test and spend those days on the beach.

ohhhhh....the beach! The thought of the beach is the only thing that is keeping me from jumping off the roof of the library! My q-bank scores are getting worse too, along with my self-esteem. Only 10 study days left....I don't know whether to be relieved or terrified!

yeah, I hate Qbank too. I think my highest yet was mid 70s, to be honest. I don't think I can get an 80, I am just not 80s material like ddmo,

Man, pathophys is so much better then studying micro

Flobber said:
Screw QBank... Kaplan is just a fear-mongering institution; they should work for the Bush administration. They'd fit right in.
Post of the week!

And the countdown begins... 1 week from tomorrow, :eek:

katrinadams9 said:

Good thing that a bit of stress helps me to focus

since my stress level just headed into orbit as I realize that I’m dealing with the beast in about 10 days and am still a bit behind schedule.

katrinadams9 said:

I have 4 days. This blows. I just want to take the damn thing NOW and get it over with.

Anyone else experiencing a trend of IV Qbank treating you better than Qbank (with the exception of stupid Pharm)?
Or does it just seem that way because I lucked into a couple of easier question blocks?

oldjeeps said:
Anyone else experiencing a trend of IV Qbank treating you better than Qbank (with the exception of stupid Pharm)?
Or does it just seem that way because I lucked into a couple of easier question blocks?

Oh yes, and a very nice trend it is...with the exception of evil pharm and those ****ing percentage questions.

oldjeeps said:

Ummmmm....what is IV Q-bank?!?!!?

a very nice trend it is ......

who says that?

God, I hate this. Why is god punishing us? I wish board grades meant nothing and we just had to pass them, I would've felt so much better right now. My goal is to break 80% once on Q-bank and just call it quits for studying. Damn that 80s mark, seems impossible to reach for a person like me. I think my brain capped on how much I can learn.

I realized that I've been reading about the same diseases again and again, it seems like medicine is all correlated, but we had to break everything in systems. I think school would've been so much easier if we studied all the organs at the same time by diseases and not organs. And that goes for biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology too. I feel like that is the only thing I learned studying this month, integration, I don't feel like I learned anything new though

cutesuperjo said:
Ummmmm....what is IV Q-bank?!?!!?

It's an additional 1500 questions in vignette form that Kaplan sold to some of us on top of regular Q-Bank.

I'm starting to get very depressed. I've only got about 250 questions to go on Q-bank. My scores are getting worse! WTF! Is it because all the hard questions are at the end or something? It seems like it's all minutia that I will never learn or grasp. It's making me worried. I take the damn thing on the 19th and I felt prepared a few days ago. Now I'm freaking out. I'm consistently scoring between 60-70 on random blocks of 50 (today all low 60's). Is that good? My overall % is not moving at all.

At one point today I almost cried. I know, I'm over-reacting.... just feeling very overwhelmed right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.