Wake Forest Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me how well T-mobile works in NC? It looks like T-mobile has roaming coverage of NC through third party, but I wasn't sure if the coverage was good or not.

Members don't see this ad.

So I called Irene on Tuesday only to find that she told me the same thing that she told many of you...I am in the top third of the waiting list. What is that supposed to mean?

So I called Irene on Tuesday only to find that she told me the same thing that she told many of you...I am in the top third of the waiting list. What is that supposed to mean?

I really can't imagine anyone being told they're in the bottom 1/3 or the bottom 1/2. That'd be like telling you, "We put you on the waitlist b/c we might like to accept you...but there's really little chance of you actually getting in."

On the bright side, I feel like calling in and asking about your waitlist position may very well help your case. Med schools seem to be big on people demonstrating interest...so it may be that calling in and checking your status vaults you over the people on the list who haven't contacted admissions in a while. (By the way, this is not meant to incite a blizzard of telephone calls to admissions to make sure they know you're interested. I think a letter per month and one waitlist status check should be sufficient to demonstrate interest.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me how well T-mobile works in NC? It looks like T-mobile has roaming coverage of NC through third party, but I wasn't sure if the coverage was good or not.

My girlfriend says that it's really good and better than my Verizon. This is definitely the case in the library and other places around the hospital.

My girlfriend says that it's really good and better than my Verizon. This is definitely the case in the library and other places around the hospital.

Thanks! Does she have a local phone #? Because if I type in the W/S zip code on the T-mobile site it says that they don't offer service. What I'm wondering is if I have to type in my local zip code, get service, then just use roaming when I go to NC.

Thanks! Does she have a local phone #? Because if I type in the W/S zip code on the T-mobile site it says that they don't offer service. What I'm wondering is if I have to type in my local zip code, get service, then just use roaming when I go to NC.

No, she doesn't, most of my class uses roaming. It's rarely been a problem.

Anyone bummed out by their financial aid package?...i know i am :(

Does anyone know if we have to send in a transcript soon, or do we wait until we graduate and have a final transcript? That won't be until mid-June for me.

Edit: Nevermind I just called. They want the final transcript.

it happens. I'll see everyone in July.

Congratulations Musinj6! My daughter might be your classmate - so maybe I'll see you at a white coat ceremony or something. What a wonderful school! I'm so happy for you!:D

hey guys

i just stumbled onto this thread. I wanted to say hi and that i probably will be one of your classmates( i'm still deciding but leaning towards wake) anyways i'm from michigan and i am completely clueless about north carolina so you'll have to help me out a bit. :)

anybody looking for a place to stay early this summer/or onwards? you'll be joining 2 females in a house very close to wfubmc. if interested, give me a message!

ms2

Congratulations Musinj6! My daughter might be your classmate - so maybe I'll see you at a white coat ceremony or something. What a wonderful school! I'm so happy for you!:D

Oh, so that's why you're on this thread. Is she on waitlist or just trying to choose a school?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys

i just stumbled onto this thread. I wanted to say hi and that i probably will be one of your classmates( i'm still deciding but leaning towards wake) anyways i'm from michigan and i am completely clueless about north carolina so you'll have to help me out a bit. :)

Aside from the fact that I hate the redwings, I guess Michigan is ok :)

Ouch. well, i guess any michiganders at wake will have 4 years to change our mind...:) 2 questions 1) for those currently at wake, whats the best bank/closest bank on campus to get an account with since michigan and north carolina have only a few in common 2) for those who know where they are living if in condos/apartments where and why did u pick that?

thanks guys

Bah! You're just bitter that the Wings dominate the Avs every season. :D

Woohoo! We have another Michigander aboard. Welcome, Sueshok. :thumbup:
I chose Falcon Pointe Apartments because I got a decent price for a 2bed/1.5bath apartment, and the location is pretty reasonable (about 3 miles to the hospital through basically residential streets). The apartments are in decent shape as well.

hey everyone, i just noticed there was a group on Facebook called Wake Forest SOM c/o 2011. it would be great if more of our future classmates joined.

hey everyone, i just noticed there was a group on Facebook called Wake Forest SOM c/o 2011. it would be great if more of our future classmates joined.

i was wondering what it was under..been trying to find it for a while thanks!

Wow, how did you guys find out about this?

Someone started a group on Facebook for us (thank you) to find it:

Go to groups off your home page, then search for Wake Forest SOM c/o 2011.

Hey, I hope you all don't mind if I redirect the thread here. I interviewed at Wake in January, loved it, and got in off the waitlist 5 days ago. I also got into my other top choice, University of Colorado. That school is in-state, and therefore cheaper, but I am having a really hard time deciding between these two schools. Is anyone else in the same boat? I'd especially love to hear from Avalanche, but please chip in with your 2 cents.

Why did you guys choose Wake?
Are you guys worried about paying back the loans? It's not exactly a cheap school, and all I am getting are loans.
How much do you care about prestige and test scores?

I'm at my wit's end about how to decide. There's so much going for both schools, and I have no idea what to do, nor do I have much time to think about it. Thanks for the help guys.

Hey, I hope you all don't mind if I redirect the thread here. I interviewed at Wake in January, loved it, and got in off the waitlist 5 days ago. I also got into my other top choice, University of Colorado. That school is in-state, and therefore cheaper, but I am having a really hard time deciding between these two schools. Is anyone else in the same boat? I'd especially love to hear from Avalanche, but please chip in with your 2 cents.

Are you guys worried about paying back the loans? It's not exactly a cheap school, and all I am getting are loans.

I'm at my wit's end about how to decide. There's so much going for both schools, and I have no idea what to do, nor do I have much time to think about it. Thanks for the help guys.

i dont know if this helps but i also got into a in-state school with tuition 12,000 cheaper a year. i'm most like going to go to wake because it is a better school. loans aren't fun but in the long run you earn it back and pay it off, esp if u get a better residency. I'm not sure about U of Colorado and its ranking/prestige but its up to you..i'm sure cost of living in Winstonsalem is cheaper though.. hope this helps

I think rankings should serve as a very rough guideline and that your gut feel for whether you'd be happy at the schools is much more important. (That's to say, coming from a pretty strict empiricist). But if you must. If you are looking at U of Colorado-Denver, then it technically is ranked higher than Wake according to US news 2007. It's tied for 6th for primary care (wake is 25th) and tied for 26th in research (wake is 41). So, in terms of rank and in-state tuition, it seems that Colorado is the choice. I do apologize if there is another U of CO and you're referring to that one, but this is the only one that presents on the top 50 rankings and my MSAR is at home.

Perhaps you are looking for a change of scenery, and that's why you're hesitant. Winston is in a great location (I went to Wake for undergrad a while back) and there is nothing like getting into the ACC b-ball mix.

Good luck with your decision

i dont know if this helps but i also got into a in-state school with tuition 12,000 cheaper a year. i'm most like going to go to wake because it is a better school. loans aren't fun but in the long run you earn it back and pay it off, esp if u get a better residency. I'm not sure about U of Colorado and its ranking/prestige but its up to you..i'm sure cost of living in Winstonsalem is cheaper though.. hope this helps

Hey Everyone
I am going crazy with my decision. I am 75% sure I am going to Wake but I'm still not positive. Does anyone know how Wake students match or have a match list from recent years?

Hey everyone- I was almost going to move to Philly but was FINALLY accepted to Wake on the 14th! I plan on taking a road trip from Los Angeles to NC at the end of June and then hopefully move in (I still need to find an apt.)--then its off to the Dominican Republic for a few weeks before school starts. Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Who is planning on going camping the 27th and 28th of July with the wilderness club???

That's a tough decision. I didn't exactly have to deal with your situation. Lets just say I did things a bit differently. Let me put it this way. I was very close to attending CU Boulder for undergrad, but chose to go to a small private school instead. Had I gone to CU Boulder, I would most likely have a free education. I chose the small private school (more expensive) because I thought it had something more to offer. For me, environment counts a lot. Smaller classes and a more friendly, close, community make a big difference to me. Now granted all med schools pretty much have small classes, but I got the sense that Wake had the close community had I was looking for. I got the feeling that the people there really cared about the students (I also liked the technology). Wake might be ranked lower, but I'm pretty confident I made a good decision.

Do I sometimes wonder if I made a mistake choosing a school with such high tuition when I had an instate school with less tuition? I'd be lying if I said no... But I'm thinking/hoping that it will be worth it in the end.. I know my undergrad decision was... Financially, I'm in your same boat. I'm sure things will work out in the end though. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi guys...

I just came across this thread (guess I'm slow). Got in to Wake in Dec and it's my first choice so I'll see you in July. It just came down to gut feel. I am from NC so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I am not that familiar with Winston-Salem, as I have lived in the Raleigh-Durham area for undergrad and grad school but I have visited and found a place to live so I'll try to help in any way possible.

See you in July!!!!:p

females: anyone need a summer sublet? may-july20?

Hey!

Congrats to all those coming to Wake next year. I just wanted to let you know that there might have been a misprint on the flyer about the campout - the email address to respond to should be [email protected]

Its a great opportunity to get to meet some of your classmates before beginning orientation - and also to get to see some of the pretty landscape of NC. If you don't have camping gear we usually can find someone to share - so don't let that stop you. This is much more of a car camping sort of thing than a primitive or backpacking type trip.

If you have any questions feel free to email me - look forward to meeting you all.

Hey everyone,

First, I plan to go on the camping trip, so I'll see some of you there.

I just got back from Winston and found a fantastic apartment, and have been trying to crunch numbers to see what my budget is in light of my financial aid package. Has anyone looked into health insurance through the school? I cannot find a link to it on the med school website and would like to know how much per year I should expect to pay.

Thanks,

Nick

Hey!

Congrats to all those coming to Wake next year. I just wanted to let you know that there might have been a misprint on the flyer about the campout - the email address to respond to should be [email protected]

Its a great opportunity to get to meet some of your classmates before beginning orientation - and also to get to see some of the pretty landscape of NC. If you don't have camping gear we usually can find someone to share - so don't let that stop you. This is much more of a car camping sort of thing than a primitive or backpacking type trip.

If you have any questions feel free to email me - look forward to meeting you all.

Hey everyone,

First, I plan to go on the camping trip, so I'll see some of you there.

I just got back from Winston and found a fantastic apartment, and have been trying to crunch numbers to see what my budget is in light of my financial aid package. Has anyone looked into health insurance through the school? I cannot find a link to it on the med school website and would like to know how much per year I should expect to pay.

Thanks,

Nick

Hey! I would highly recommend not getting the health insurance through the school. And most people would probably say the same. It is more expensive and it's a pain to deal with b/c you have to get referrals for everything. I just recently got my own health insurance and I went with Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC. You can go on their website and request a quote: it's was surprisingly affordable. Also, if you are really really interested in the school health insurance, I think a representative will probably be at your orientation. You could email someone in student services to find out. Good luck

Nick,

The plan is $220.00/month, or it was last year, you can see it on the "MD Cost" part of the Wake web site. Last year they used Cigna (sp?) but are negotiating this year. Dental and vision are not included but can be purchased separately. If you have a wife and kids it will run around $1,200.00/month.

I have been looking into it because I currently have insurance through my job but have to figure out what to do with my family next year. The insurance guy that handles the school also offers Blue Cross and Blue Shield which is significntly less expensive, especially if you have a family. The coverage is reduced a little, and you can not be forced onto the plan if you have a pre-existing (you can on the Cigna plan), but it is still good insurance.

Chris

Hey everyone! I will be joining you at Wake this coming year, and I am actually in the process of purchasing a 3 bedroom house. I will be looking for 2 non-smoking roommates if anyone is interested, $425/mo. for the smaller bedroom at $450/mo. for the larger + 1/3 utilities. It is a nice place with a large living room w/fireplace, dining room, kitchen, deck and patio, quiet room and pool privileges. Washer/dryer, dishwasher, and central air. Shared large bath with the other roommate. 3 miles from the school. PM me if you are interested. I hope to have it furnished for the renters unless you would rather furnish your bedroom yourself.

Thanks for pointing that out, Chris.

I just checked with my own work insurance, which I could keep for an additional 30 months, but that's at $317, so I'm wondering if student is ideal. I think I'm going to check around some more. I spoke to one Wake med student who said that he hasn't heard anything good about the student plan. If anyone else out has any suggestions, please feel free to add your 2 cents.

Nick,

The plan is $220.00/month, or it was last year, you can see it on the "MD Cost" part of the Wake web site. Last year they used Cigna (sp?) but are negotiating this year. Dental and vision are not included but can be purchased separately. If you have a wife and kids it will run around $1,200.00/month.

I have been looking into it because I currently have insurance through my job but have to figure out what to do with my family next year. The insurance guy that handles the school also offers Blue Cross and Blue Shield which is significntly less expensive, especially if you have a family. The coverage is reduced a little, and you can not be forced onto the plan if you have a pre-existing (you can on the Cigna plan), but it is still good insurance.

Chris

To follow up on my own post, check out this website.

www.ehealthinsurance.com

Thanks for pointing that out, Chris.

I just checked with my own work insurance, which I could keep for an additional 30 months, but that's at $317, so I'm wondering if student is ideal. I think I'm going to check around some more. I spoke to one Wake med student who said that he hasn't heard anything good about the student plan. If anyone else out has any suggestions, please feel free to add your 2 cents.

any salseros/salseras in the class of 2011?

Hello all incoming first years,
I will be moving out of my townhouse next month into a smaller place. My landlord tailors his places (and prices) for Wake Med students. Seriously, this guy is the best landlord Ive had to deal with since Ive been living on my own, and just an overall good guy. He would love to have another tenant lined up after I leave and is offering the place for $700 a month---it normally runs for $850-$900. The townhouse is a duplex 2 bedroom, 21/2 bathroom with first and second floor patios and a fireplace. The address is 151 Forest View Dr. for anyone interested in checking out the area. The development--Forest Oaks condominiums is located directly off of country club about 1/10 up from south fork elementary (about 10 minutes from school). If you or anyone you know thinks this may be a good deal (and it is!), call Gerald Kinlaw at 336-785-6950.
"Try" to enjoy the summer and God Bless
Steven N
2nd year med student @ Wake

Ouch. well, i guess any michiganders at wake will have 4 years to change our mind...:) 2 questions 1) for those currently at wake, whats the best bank/closest bank on campus to get an account with since michigan and north carolina have only a few in common 2) for those who know where they are living if in condos/apartments where and why did u pick that?

thanks guys

There is a Wachovia on campus - very convenient and I've been very pleased with them (free online banking etc.)

If any of the Class of 2011 needs help moving in - PM me and we can round up a crew to make the move in go smoothly ;)

One of the bars downtown does weekly Salsa dancing... Not sure which one though
You might be thinking of Sounds on Burke Street. There's also 411 which has latin night two nights a week.

I got in!!!!!!! :):D;):oops::p I'm sooo excited to be part of the Wake class of 2011!! I was on the top half of the wait list in may and bottom of top third last week so good luck to everyone who's still waiting..it does happen..let them know how much you want it!! But now i'm scrambling to figure out where to live and make a trip down there asap (I'm from NY) I was wondering if there are still people who are looking for a female roomate, i love pets but I prolly won't be bringing any with me. I can't wait for the camping trip either!!! I don't have any info but i'm sure i'll get stuff in the mail. YAY!!!

I got in!!!!!!! :):D;):oops::p I'm sooo excited to be part of the Wake class of 2011!! I was on the top half of the wait list in may and bottom of top third last week so good luck to everyone who's still waiting..it does happen..let them know how much you want it!! But now i'm scrambling to figure out where to live and make a trip down there asap (I'm from NY) I was wondering if there are still people who are looking for a female roomate, i love pets but I prolly won't be bringing any with me. I can't wait for the camping trip either!!! I don't have any info but i'm sure i'll get stuff in the mail. YAY!!!

Congrats. Join the facebook club "Wake Forest SOM c/o 2011." There is a little roommate discussion there. Also, you could look into joining the roommate list. There's a form in the enrollment packet to do that.

hey, just got in off the waitlist. will my finaid package be with my acceptance letter? i have till friday to decide between wake and one of my state schools (rather unknown yet much cheaper, south alabama) :confused:

After taking a hiatus from StudentDoc (and forgetting my old username / password) due to extreme studying, I am back to congratulate the incoming class of 2011! Wake Forest is an amazing school and all of your hard work to this point will be rewarded with a great first year. Of course, you can expect to pile on more hard work (and some debt too), but it's all very manageable. If anything, WFUSM has exceeded my expectations. The people here are great and friendships are easy to find... that sense of community will really make first year fly by. You all have been asking great questions, so keep writing. I thought the WFU staff was informative compared to other schools, but the process leading up to orientation is still pretty chaotic.

I've seen a lot of questions about housing. We bought a house about 15 minutes from campus, but lots of people buy or rent within walking distance of the school. There are no apartment complexes nearby, but you can rent rooms from plenty of locals listed on the housing website. As far as I can tell, there is no "central" apartment complex for students. Maybe you guys can make one! If you are interested in buying a home, the Ardmore neighborhood is within walking distance. The houses are older and rather quaint, but a medical student doesn't need a mansion. If you need specific info, my wife is a real estate agent and can answer any questions in more detail (Laurie's mobile: three-three-six, four-zero-six, eight-three-four-zero). We've both lived in Winston forever (actually), so don't hesitate to ask questions.