Wake Forest Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey, just got in off the waitlist. will my finaid package be with my acceptance letter? i have till friday to decide between wake and one of my state schools (rather unknown yet much cheaper, south alabama) :confused:

I think financial aid comes in later... If it's really about money, go with your state school. If a great clinical education is what you're looking for - go with Wake.

Most of us end up in debt (except those with rich parents or full ride scholaships) so I don't worry about it. Take out what money you need to live (no med-student needs a car-payment on a BMW for example) and pay off your debt quickly after residency, i.e. don't buy crap you can't afford to fit the "doctor lifestyle".

Members don't see this ad.

i'm going for it, see ya'll in a month!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going on the camping outing the weekend before orientation?

I def want to go on the camping trip, I'm hopin a lot of ppl will be doin it too. I think it'll be a nice getaway before the real fun begins..haha!

congrats 1/2asser!! i chose Wake over my instate school too (Upstate Med in NY)..I kno it's wayy more expensive, but I think it will def be worth it from all I've heard!

So a question for any current students- do they start you right off with gross anatomy your first week of classes, or is the first week introductory class stuff, just to get you used to being in medical school? Thanks!

So a question for any current students- do they start you right off with gross anatomy your first week of classes, or is the first week introductory class stuff, just to get you used to being in medical school? Thanks!

I don't think they have changed the schedule, but no guarantees. We had one week of orientation, which involved a LOT of meetings / presentations. For example, Monday (day 1) went from 9 AM - 5 PM and had a bunch of intros from deans, school tour, ID badges, etc. And yes, the entire week was full (generally 9-5). Dress is business casual. There's also a ton of stuff to do at night (dinners, parties, etc). So get unpacked before orientation week so you can get to know your classmates.

Classes started the next Monday with Gross, Micro, Case, and Embryo.

I def want to go on the camping trip, I'm hopin a lot of ppl will be doin it too. I think it'll be a nice getaway before the real fun begins..haha!

What kind of equipment do you need for the trip?

I don't think they have changed the schedule, but no guarantees. We had one week of orientation, which involved a LOT of meetings / presentations. For example, Monday (day 1) went from 9 AM - 5 PM and had a bunch of intros from deans, school tour, ID badges, etc. And yes, the entire week was full (generally 9-5). Dress is business casual. There's also a ton of stuff to do at night (dinners, parties, etc). So get unpacked before orientation week so you can get to know your classmates.

Classes started the next Monday with Gross, Micro, Case, and Embryo.

Yep - lots of unbearable, but necessary stuff all day, some decent parties at night... :hardy:

YES finally!! What's up everybody? Feels so good to finally join the party!

Members don't see this ad :)
I see that the dress for orientation is business casual, but what is the dress for everyday classes?

dress for class is casual, just like undergrad times.. except when seeing patients/going to wards/doctor-patient class, they'll let you know what to wear. otherwise, just wear anything you like!

Does anyone have information on the white coat ceremony? I had a friend that went to Wake (she left her first year though) tell me that it wasn't until the second year, but then I got this email from someone at the school asking for my parent's mailing address. Anyone have some info?

The white coat ceremony for the class of 2010 was held this past February, 2007. It had been held during the second year in the past but now it is held during the first year.

Does anyone know when our breaks will be? i can't find anything on the wake site and i kinda would like to book some flights etc. thanks...

i t just occured to me that we haven't started yet and i'm already asking ab breaks...i'm in trouble haha

i t just occured to me that we haven't started yet and i'm already asking ab breaks...i'm in trouble haha

Our calendar is in the pre-enrollment guide. I'll PM you the internet address.

just got into UAB off the wait list. it was my first choice bc i never really expected to hear from wake. can someone just make the decision for me? thanks:confused:

Does anyone know when our breaks will be? i can't find anything on the wake site and i kinda would like to book some flights etc. thanks...

so for thanksgiving it said recess starts at noon. for second years, do people out of state ever leave that tuesday/ can they. or are there exams?

so for thanksgiving it said recess starts at noon. for second years, do people out of state ever leave that tuesday/ can they. or are there exams?
You will soon learn that eWake is your ultimate timekeeper. If you don't know yet, that's the online schedule that will dictate your classes and exams. If you already have access, check there to see your exact schedule for Thanksgiving. As for us last year, we did not have an exam that week, but we did have classes on Wednesday morning until noon. Some classes are "attendance required" and you have to log-in with your badge. Otherwise, you can skip if you really want to leave for the holiday on Tuesday.

If you already have your username and password, here are two key websites:
ewake.wfubmc.edu (eWake - online schedule)
owa.wfubmc.edu (Outlook email access)

I've gotten a few PM's about housing around the hospital. I thought that the admissions office would list their website, but here it is again:

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/housing

That lists rooms for rent, roommates wanted, apartments, and houses for rent. If you have questions about buying a home in the area, as I mentioned before, my wife is a realtor and can answer specific questions. Her website:

http://www.allentate.com/lauriebeard

Dear Class of 2011:

I'm happy to tell you that a pre-orientation party has been planned in your honor. Plan on coming out to get the jump on meeting your fellow classmates and some hospitable and wise upper classmen.

When: Sunday, July 29th, 8pm-Whenever

Where: Burke Street Pub--1110 Burke St. From the School take a right on 1st Street. First Street forks. Stay to the left (Burke St.) The Pub is on the left. Or Google Map it.

Cost: $4 at the door. Includes beer all night and drink specials.

This has become a time-honored tradition and you should plan on attending. Think about it—would your rater start med school and meet your classmates dressed casually at a pub, or dressed in business casual with “continental” breakfast at 8am? You decide. :thumbup:

PM me if you have questions. And someone post this on your facebook group.

Thanks.

This has become a time-honored tradition and you should plan on attending. Think about it—would your rather start med school and meet your classmates dressed casually at a pub, or dressed in business casual with “continental” breakfast at 8am? You decide. :thumbup:

PM me if you have questions. And someone post this on your facebook group.

Thanks.

Do it.

FYI, bring snacks the first week or your stomach lining will digest itself. A bagel and yogurt lasts only so long.

hey second years, i was just wondering if med student can can tickets for sports. If so, when can we order and how much if you know. thanks!

hey second years, i was just wondering if med student can can tickets for sports. If so, when can we order and how much if you know. thanks!

you can get free sports pass from the cashier's office. :thumbup:

Here's to the WFSOM Class of 2011 as you start orientation today! I wish you all the best!