Wake Forest Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avalanche21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist starting this one. Anyone foreseeing an acceptance soon?

Members don't see this ad.

Avalanche,

Could you post the WF secondary prompts with word counts? August MCAT takers are all on hold.

Avalanche,

Could you post the WF secondary prompts with word counts? August MCAT takers are all on hold.

I would, but I'm honestly not sure. I applied last year, was accepted, and then deferred. I think they posted them in pre-allo though

Members don't see this ad :)
Do do doo dooo....

Hey guys - I'm interviewing at Wake this Friday. So excited!!

Hey guys - I'm interviewing at Wake this Friday. So excited!!

Woohoo, good luck! Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.

Hi all. I am Rob. I am currently finishing my BS in biology at the University of Michigan. I am a deferred candidate, and I will be joining the class of 2011. Good luck to all of you who got interviews coming up. It really isn't too bad. :thumbup: Feel free to ask any questions about the application process. I will try to help out as much as I can.

Avalanche, good to see you post. If I recall correctly, you were on the WFU 2010 thread quite a bit. It is nice that we can communicate and get to know one another before everyone even gets started with orientation. Talk to you all later.

Hi all. I am Rob. I am currently finishing my BS in biology at the University of Michigan. I am a deferred candidate, and I will be joining the class of 2011. Good luck to all of you who got interviews coming up. It really isn't too bad. :thumbup: Feel free to ask any questions about the application process. I will try to help out as much as I can.

Avalanche, good to see you post. If I recall correctly, you were on the WFU 2010 thread quite a bit. It is nice that we can communicate and get to know one another before everyone even gets started with orientation. Talk to you all later.

Another deferee (did I just make that word up?)! Woohoo!

Hi all --

I'm in my first year at Wake (Class of 2010), and am totally happy to answer questions about the school. I LOVE it here so I'll be pretty pro-Wake, but I promise to be honest :p

Good luck!

Hmm...so has Wake not started accepting people yet? I can't run this thread on my own:(

Hmm...so has Wake not started accepting people yet? I can't run this thread on my own:(

they accepted some people yesterday! unfortunately i am waitlisted! =( any tips on how to get off the waitlist

they accepted some people yesterday! unfortunately i am waitlisted! =( any tips on how to get off the waitlist

I called every two weeks. They mark your file when you call (at least they did last year). I also wrote them a letter of intent that I would accept if offered admission and included updates). Not sure if either of these specifically helped, but that's what I did! They like people who show interest. It took me 5 months though, that was harsh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to make sure if Wake only sends out secondaries to competitive students?

Just wanted to make sure if Wake only sends out secondaries to competitive students?

Lol, I saw this post in two other threads already, so I'm assuming you already know the answer

For those that found out 10/25 - When did you guys interview?

I got in, but I also got into another top choice. I really liked Wake and I am trying to decide based on curriculum, patient contact, finances, etc. Anyone who is at Wake care to answer any questions? If so, I have many......PM me and let me know! THX!

Also, I heard 10/25 and I interviewed 9/25.

I got in, but I also got into another top choice. I really liked Wake and I am trying to decide based on curriculum, patient contact, finances, etc. Anyone who is at Wake care to answer any questions? If so, I have many......PM me and let me know! THX!

Also, I heard 10/25 and I interviewed 9/25.

Gosh - thank you - what a relief. I interviewed 10/13 and was fearing the worst when I heard everyone hearing back from Wake 10/25. Do they send you an email or do you keep checking the status page? My status page doesn't look like it's updated yet. It just says I've been selected for an interview.

Gosh - thank you - what a relief. I interviewed 10/13 and was fearing the worst when I heard everyone hearing back from Wake 10/25. Do they send you an email or do you keep checking the status page? My status page doesn't look like it's updated yet. It just says I've been selected for an interview.

Folks,

My status page says, "You will receive notification of your status by e-mail." Anyone know what this cryptic message means and why it's been on my status page for over a week without any sign of an e-mail?

Y-marker,
I got an email about a day and a half after the status page changed. Did they tell you when you would be going to committee? You will probably hear about their decision the Wednesday after that. My status page said I had been invited for an email until Wednesday at about 9:30 am PST. (12:30 EST) when it changed to acceptance.

nebbione,
My status page never said they would contact me by email, as I remember, it always said what the next step in the process was and that I would be recieving materials shortly.

Anyone else here actually planning on going to Wake at this point? It's kinda quiet...

Anyone else here actually planning on going to Wake at this point? It's kinda quiet...

Maybe I started the thread early. As I recall, it was started around December of last year. What is your other top choice?

Well, I am considering Miami....I really liked it there. They have a really great hospital system. I just really like Wake's curriculum and I kinda like the idea of living in a not-so-big city...

Y-marker,
I got an email about a day and a half after the status page changed. Did they tell you when you would be going to committee? You will probably hear about their decision the Wednesday after that. My status page said I had been invited for an email until Wednesday at about 9:30 am PST. (12:30 EST) when it changed to acceptance.

nebbione,
My status page never said they would contact me by email, as I remember, it always said what the next step in the process was and that I would be recieving materials shortly.

I went to committee last Wednesday :eek: :scared: Though she said they'd have the votes tallied up by Monday - I'm wondering if I should call Monday morning?

Well, I am considering Miami....I really liked it there. They have a really great hospital system. I just really like Wake's curriculum and I kinda like the idea of living in a not-so-big city...

Cool, well good luck with your decision!

I think I am pretty close to making up my mind. Unless I hear from USC or Emory about an interview (not so likely at this point...) I am headed for Wake. :) Avalanche, if I go there, you'll have to introduce yourself as your SN so I know who you are. Are you living near Wake now?

Y-marker,

nebbione,

Congratulations on your acceptance! Hopefully you choose Wake. I will be heading to Winston Salem in February to begin checking out some places. I really like the small-town charm it has. I know some people who didn't like Wake for that reason. But anyway, hope to hear more about you in this thread. See Ya. :cool:

Good luck everyone! Just a little heads up.....about 75% of people who interview are put on the waitlist right off the bat so don't be discouraged if you are put on the waitlist. PM me if you have any questions.

Another deferee (did I just make that word up?)! Woohoo!

Hey Rob and Avalanche I will be joining you guys at Wake next year. I am currently finishing up my last semester at Notre Dame (sounds like a little friendly rivalry could go on between you and me, Rob, jk). I got in through Wake's early assurance program, so I guess I am technically a "deferee" as well.

Good luck all those in the application process.

Hey Rob and Avalanche I will be joining you guys at Wake next year. I am currently finishing up my last semester at Notre Dame (sounds like a little friendly rivalry could go on between you and me, Rob, jk). I got in through Wake's early assurance program, so I guess I am technically a "deferee" as well.

Good luck all those in the application process.

Uh oh... Notre Dame... that is trouble. :laugh: Many people in my family are Michigan alumni, so I think you can figure out how I was raised, especially in regard to ND. :D

My brother's girlfriend actually just started law school there. How do you feel about this year's football game between UM and ND? :D

Congrats on your early acceptance. I was accepted through the same program last year. What is your field of study at ND? Talk to you later.

Rob

Uh oh... Notre Dame... that is trouble. :laugh: Many people in my family are Michigan alumni, so I think you can figure out how I was raised, especially in regard to ND. :D

My brother's girlfriend actually just started law school there. How do you feel about this year's football game between UM and ND? :D

Congrats on your early acceptance. I was accepted through the same program last year. What is your field of study at ND? Talk to you later.

Rob

I was a "pre-professional" major which is essentially a bio major but you have a little more freedom to take some other non-bio science courses. What about you?

I think I am pretty close to making up my mind. Unless I hear from USC or Emory about an interview (not so likely at this point...) I am headed for Wake. :) Avalanche, if I go there, you'll have to introduce yourself as your SN so I know who you are. Are you living near Wake now?

Will do, as long as I know to whom I should introduce myself :D I'm nowhere near Wake right now. I'm from CO and I'm spending the year here (my SN might make more sense now)

Ahhh, an Av's fan. I figured. Well, let's just say I grew up going to Red Wing's games, so we may have a little bit of a rivalry on our hands ;)

Oh, and I really think you should go around to all the girls in the first year class and tell them all that your name is Avalanche21. You'll find me that way, and I'm sure nobody will forget you. J/k.

We'll talk more when we get closer to classes starting and I'll send you a pic.

Ahhh, an Av's fan. I figured. Well, let's just say I grew up going to Red Wing's games, so we may have a little bit of a rivalry on our hands ;)

Redwings, huh? Maybe I can overcome my hate i mean uh "competitive dislike" for the redwings. :D

Hi all --

I'm in my first year at Wake (Class of 2010), and am totally happy to answer questions about the school. I LOVE it here so I'll be pretty pro-Wake, but I promise to be honest :p

Good luck!

I wonder who this is, hmmmm.

Anyway - Congratulations to the class of 2011!!!

If we can be of any help, simply let us know. No really. How long does answering an email take?! Let us know, we love Wake, we love medicine and medicine is about teaching.

Good Luck all of you Wake Hopefuls! :luck:

Are lectures available on-line? Video? Audio? Do most students go to lecture? What is the daily schedule like? Class til 5? Noon? Trying to compare student 'lifestyle' issues between schools.

Thanks for any info.

Are lectures available on-line? Video? Audio? Do most students go to lecture? What is the daily schedule like? Class til 5? Noon? Trying to compare student 'lifestyle' issues between schools.

Thanks for any info.

As of now, lectures are available in an audio format online. We just had a meeting today about initiating a video format, and since there was strong support for it, it'll hopefully get started up soon.

For the first 12 weeks (anatomy), yes, most students go to class. I think this is mostly because we have so much anatomy lab (which is mandatory), it just makes sense to stay and go to lectures. I personally find it helpful to attend lectures, although the anatomy professors most always have really good speaker notes that accompany their powerpoints, all of which are posted online. Very few lectures have been required, however attendance IS required for all small group classes. Now that we've started Phase 1B, it seems as though less people are planning on coming to the morning lectures. The big dip in attendance hasn't really happened yet, but we've heard from other classes to expect it.

Daily schedule? Specifics differ from day to day, week to week, but the hours you'll be in class are generally the same. During anatomy (Phase 1A, first 12 weeks), 8-12am is lecture+lab, everyday except Thursdays. So mornings are always full. You'll always get 2 afternoons (after 12 noon) completely free each week. Three days a week, we have small group sessions from either 1-3 or 3-5, randomly depending on your group. Because of anatomy lab, it feels like you're at school a good amount. You'll need to spend quite a bit of time outside class up in the lab reviewing what was done with your friends/groupmates. But, all in all, we definitely had quite a bit of "free time" to study or do what we wanted.

Phase IB (biochem, immunology, genetics) seems to be a pretty similar time schedule, but with only 3 hours of lecture in the morning, usually 8-11. Same small group schedule as in Phase 1A. But no more lab time means less school time, moreso for those who decide not to come to lectures.

I can give more info on our curriculum or whatever you guys want to hear, but thought I'd keep it (somewhat) simple here. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for any info.

Oh yeah -- forgot to mention that there are no morning classes on Tuesdays during Phase 1B. So, for half the class, that means no class on Tuesday. The other half has 2 hours of small group in the afternoon.

Hey, I'm into UNC and Wake now, and withdrew everywhere else, so it's one or the other for next year (a decision I'm happy to make). Any of the current students at Wake have the same choice as an NC resident? If so, any specific reasons for why you chose Wake? Thanks and congrats to all the other Wake acceptees! Maybe I'll see you there next year.

Just accepted today...So far its Wake vs. UVA. Any input?

Congrats to those of you who just got in today! I am pretty sure it's where I am going next year, so it's fun to see some more SDNer's who could be in the same class!

I got in Wake today!!!!!!!!! I'm 85% sure it's where I'll be next year! I'm so excited!:D

Congratulations and good luck on your decisions. :thumbup:

Hopefully you decide to join us at Wake. :D

Oh No! We almost fell off to page 2! Saving the thread and bumping for those who have gotten in recently!

Does anyone know when classes start for 2007? I know it's early, but I'm trying to plan a final summer trip.

Does anyone know when classes start for 2007? I know it's early, but I'm trying to plan a final summer trip.

This year orientation started around July 24, so I would guess somewhere around the last week of July

Aside from the acceptance letter, have any accepted candidates received any other materials in the mail or by e-mail?

Nope. It would be nice to hear more from them. I am so excited, and I just want to get something! Oh, and my parents got my acceptance letter, so I don't even have a piece of paper to hold onto :(

Anyway, thanks Avalanche, I can now finish planning my vacation!