Wake Forest Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a little gift to keep you obsessing for the next several months::D

Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Academic Calendar 2007-2008
FIRST YEAR - Class of 2011

Orientation Week Begins Monday, July 30, 2007
Year 1 Begins Monday, August 6, 2007

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone - Congrats on getting in. For those that are on the fence, I can say without any bias that Wake is probably the sweetest school around... Well, other than the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland - but that's out of the country - so in the US - Wake should be your choice. Um, let's see - if you need a realtor (cost of living is so good you can actually buy - and it's a good market for buying, too) - MGatWake and I both used a realtor named Ellen Stockton last year - www.ellenstockton.com. Anyone that is coming in town to look for places is welcome to contact me if you need a place to crash for a few days - I can get MGatWake to take you in. Oh, and maybe July 30th is your first day - if you really believe MGatWake.

Hey guys,
So here's another question I have:
Where do most of you med students live? Is there a specific area of town where you are all more concentrated or are you all over town?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a little gift to keep you obsessing for the next several months::D

Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Academic Calendar 2007-2008
FIRST YEAR - Class of 2011

Orientation Week Begins Monday, July 30, 2007
Year 1 Begins Monday, August 6, 2007

What will be fun is getting you guys looped up and REALLY seeing what you've made of

Orientation week is busy, but very fun. Welcome to the cool kids club (ACC champs)

Hey guys,
Where do most of you med students live? Is there a specific area of town where you are all more concentrated or are you all over town?

I bought a house south of Silas Creek, but it's up to you... No one had trouble finding housing that I've heard...

The area around Baptist is called "Ardmore" and many students live there -but we're all over town. If you have a car it helps your selection, again, I don't think anyone had troubles finding residence.

Hey everyone - Congrats on getting in. For those that are on the fence, I can say without any bias that Wake is probably the sweetest school around... Well, other than the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland - but that's out of the country - so in the US - Wake should be your choice. Um, let's see - if you need a realtor (cost of living is so good you can actually buy - and it's a good market for buying, too) - MGatWake and I both used a realtor named Ellen Stockton last year - www.ellenstockton.com. Anyone that is coming in town to look for places is welcome to contact me if you need a place to crash for a few days - I can get MGatWake to take you in. Oh, and maybe July 30th is your first day - if you really believe MGatWake.

Not sure I would - big fibber

I wonder when we'll start getting info...my mailbox is lonely

I wonder when we'll start getting info...my mailbox is lonely

I called the admission's office a week ago and the lady said the office was under staffed so they are taking a bit longer with the official mailings, but they should be coming out in a couple of weeks.

Good - my mailbox is lonely too. I used to spend a lot of time sitting next to it when I was waiting to hear from schools! ;)

Hey Wake students, another question! How much time do you have off for the holidays?

I called the admission's office a week ago and the lady said the office was under staffed so they are taking a bit longer with the official mailings, but they should be coming out in a couple of weeks.

Sweet, I can feel special again :love:

Good - my mailbox is lonely too. I used to spend a lot of time sitting next to it when I was waiting to hear from schools! ;)

Hey Wake students, another question! How much time do you have off for the holidays?

You get two weeks. This year, we get it from Dec. 16-Jan. 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess we've been spoiled with the 1 month for college. Then again, since I'm working this year, I get about 4 days.

I am happy with the 2 weeks. I honestly didn't know what to expect, and I have heard that a couple of med schools only give students 9 days. (??) I will take a 2 week break anytime.

Greetings Wake Forest Med Students and Hopefuls,

A big thank you to this site and the people who mentioned that to get a Wake Interview you need to keep calling. As you can imagine, I called every couple weeks after my completion, and when I called today they offered me the interview!!!!

I'm very excited to come to Winston-Salem on January 21st-22nd (Interview on Mon the 22nd). Wake sounds like a great school but I'd like to find out more, and what to expect during the interview. Do they waitlist a lot of people? What % of interviewees do they accept? Also, I heard that to get accepted you must continually show interest post-interview in the form of calls, Letters, etc.. not sure if this is true, can anyone verify?

Thanks so much!

Hey! I would guess they waitlist about 80% of hte people they interview so don't be surprised if you get waitlisted...it's not a bad thing. If you do get waitlisted, make sure you show interest. They like that and it makes a difference. Good luck to you!

I am happy with the 2 weeks. I honestly didn't know what to expect, and I have heard that a couple of med schools only give students 9 days. (??) I will take a 2 week break anytime.

hell my school has a 6 week xmas break! we are in a major budget crisis right now and are trying to save on heating bills...

so yeah, what have people called about once on the waitlist? do you just call and ask to check your status, or do you basically say "hi, I'm still interested." I'm still waiting for the initial decision, so hopefully I wont need to do so, but I figure I might as well be prepared.

So ya, expecting that letter any time now...right?

I believe my interview group was supposed to be getting a decision in about 1 more week. Not going to be easy to wait.

I believe my interview group was supposed to be getting a decision in about 1 more week. Not going to be easy to wait.

I guess I really should quit whining considering I'm just waiting for acceptance materials while others are waiting for decisions.

Good luck! I know how the waiting feels - it sucks. :eek: Keep us updated.

What is everyone doing from now till July? School? Travel? Work?

I will be working part-time, as well as doing quite a bit of traveling. I will be in Florida for quite a few weeks, and a trip to Europe is being planned. :D I won't be overly busy, but just busy enough.

Good luck! I know how the waiting feels - it sucks. :eek: Keep us updated.

What is everyone doing from now till July? School? Travel? Work?

I will be working part-time, as well as doing quite a bit of traveling. I will be in Florida for quite a few weeks, and a trip to Europe is being planned. :D I won't be overly busy, but just busy enough.

Work, fun fun! I'll be doing some traveling I'm sure, not much. A couple day visit to Winston-Salem to check out apts, something like that.

Work, fun fun! I'll be doing some traveling I'm sure, not much. A couple day visit to Winston-Salem to check out apts, something like that.

skiing in montana for 2 weeks... I'll get my decision from a couple schools while I'm here. (I'd love to be able to do the apartment shopping thing... but I guess that'll have to wait til spring break for that when I know where I'm going)

hell my school has a 6 week xmas break! we are in a major budget crisis right now and are trying to save on heating bills...

so yeah, what have people called about once on the waitlist? do you just call and ask to check your status, or do you basically say "hi, I'm still interested." I'm still waiting for the initial decision, so hopefully I wont need to do so, but I figure I might as well be prepared.

I would do the "hi, I'm still interested". It worked for me. And seriously guys, we're not kidding when we say that a lot of people get waitlisted - so don't worry about it if you get on the list - you just have to wait in limbo a little longer, that's all.

Hey guys,

The ardmore area is a bit rundown- but a lot of students do live there for all four years.

Just called wake, said info for accepted applicants probably won't go out until April. I guess I can wait.

0-years,
I strongly suggest getting in touch with your inner nucleotides for phase 1b.

love,
1-year

:sleep:

Bump, our thread is dying! Save it! :scared:

Well I just interviewed at Wake this past monday and I LOVED it, very impressed with all aspects (especially the enthusiasm and pride the students have for their program). Praying for an acceptance, although I fear they won't take me seriously since I'm from california :oops:(. Most likely I'm looking at a waitlist.

Well I just interviewed at Wake this past monday and I LOVED it, very impressed with all aspects (especially the enthusiasm and pride the students have for their program). Praying for an acceptance, although I fear they won't take me seriously since I'm from california :oops:(. Most likely I'm looking at a waitlist.

Don't stress if they do waitlist, it happens

Well I just interviewed at Wake this past monday and I LOVED it, very impressed with all aspects (especially the enthusiasm and pride the students have for their program). Praying for an acceptance...

I interviewed with you! I was way more impressed than I expected to be with just about everything at Wake. Guess we have a couple weeks to wait before we find out... good luck! :luck:

I read on this forum somewhere today (forgot where) that Wake Forest was only interviewing from here on in to place people on the wait list. Does anyone here know if that could possibly be true?

I read on this forum somewhere today (forgot where) that Wake Forest was only interviewing from here on in to place people on the wait list. Does anyone here know if that could possibly be true?
Even if it is true, and it probably isn't, Wake takes 30%-50% of their class from the waitlist. Last year they accepted a total of 272 students for the 114 spots. After May 15th applicants can only hold one acceptance and the waitlist will start moving.

Actually, Wake puts a majority of the people they interview on the waitlist right from the start of their interview season. Just do your very best in the interview and if you do get put on the waitlist, don't stress but do show interest.

Thank you jllander and medpro! It is so very helpful to have your information!

They told us last week that they accept 10-15 students everytime they have a CoA meeting and put the rest on the waitlist. They accept 1/3 of the class off the waitlist after interview are over.

Don't lose hope! I'm from CA too, and I proved my love to Wake many times after getting waitlisted... I called every couple weeks, and sent at least 2 letters.

Glad you loved it -- I most definitely do too... although I'm gonna get killed by Dr. Smith's Mountain of Metabolism, at least until next Tuesday's exam! :eek:

I read in a previous thread that Wake was going to accept the students suggestion that lectures be available as video as opposed to audio only. Has this come to pass yet? or any info as to whether it will be available next year? It seems odd that a scool that prides itself on technology and being 'wired' would not have this already.

Note taking service? Or is that organized by students if they want it?

What do folks at Wake do for a gym? are there gms available w/in walking distance of the school or the ardmore area?

Thanks for any insight.

What do folks at Wake do for a gym? are there gms available w/in walking distance of the school or the ardmore area?

I heard we're not allowed to use the gym on the main campus...boo!

For right now, the school provides the equipment for audio recording. But someone from your class needs to actually start and stop the recording. Video equipment has come up a lot however it's just too much of a hassle and the equipment is expensive, especially compared with a voice recorder. Sorry. Oh, and the students organize the note-taking service, not the school. I chose not to be in the note-taking group but plenty of people take part.

There is a gym available to students right on the same floor and in the same building as your lecture hall. It's availble for free. There are other gyms all over town that people use as well but obviously you need to pay for a membership and they aren't within walking distance of the school.

Video equipment has come up a lot however it's just too much of a hassle and the equipment is expensive, especially compared with a voice recorder.

There is a gym available to students right on the same floor and in the same building as your lecture hall. It's availble for free.

Thanks for the info. However, lots of other schools seem to have the video thing perfected so it seems like that should be doable.

On the gym.....are you referring to the small room with a couple of treadmills?

Yes, that's the gym I'm referring to. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but it's there and it's free so seems like a pretty good deal to me. As for the video lectures, Wake doesn't do them right now. If you want them that bad, I'm sure you can bring it up with the administration. Everyone in our class has done totally fine with the audio files.

Yes, that's the gym I'm referring to. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but it's there and it's free so seems like a pretty good deal to me. As for the video lectures, Wake doesn't do them right now. If you want them that bad, I'm sure you can bring it up with the administration. Everyone in our class has done totally fine with the audio files.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to be offensive and thanks for the info.:thumbup: I was just curious about the video--I am sure the audio will be fine.

So I was waitlisted today, but I've heard that isn't nearly as bad at Wake as it is at some other schools....the letter says they take 30-50 % off the waitlist so they can avoid over-accepting. Novel idea...

That said, I'm wondering what people have done or heard about being done to get in from the waitlist. Obviously I will make a few calls and write at least a letter, but I'm wondering if they respond better to statements about why you like Wake or statements about why Wake should like you? Do they care about your feelings for the area? If I'm from the West do I need to assure them that I would definitely be willing to live in the East, or even the SOUTH (heaven forbid)!

What do you guys think?

So I was waitlisted today, but I've heard that isn't nearly as bad at Wake as it is at some other schools....the letter says they take 30-50 % off the waitlist so they can avoid over-accepting. Novel idea...

That said, I'm wondering what people have done or heard about being done to get in from the waitlist. Obviously I will make a few calls and write at least a letter, but I'm wondering if they respond better to statements about why you like Wake or statements about why Wake should like you? Do they care about your feelings for the area? If I'm from the West do I need to assure them that I would definitely be willing to live in the East, or even the SOUTH (heaven forbid)!

What do you guys think?

I was waitlisted today as well

Yes, I think so. I'm still waiting on UNC but I liked Wake better, so we'll see....:)

I read in a previous thread that Wake was going to accept the students suggestion that lectures be available as video as opposed to audio only. Has this come to pass yet? or any info as to whether it will be available next year? It seems odd that a scool that prides itself on technology and being 'wired' would not have this already.
It is odd ladybug, which is one reason student government has brought this up with administration. However, there will be a significant cost involved (at Duke - there is a person on staff whose JOB it is to record and manage AV aspects of lectures.) In other words, it is likely a few years off. But consider this, for our current block - microbiology, there are something like 46 powerpoints for 48 hours of lecture... Video may be nice, but it's much more time effective if you listen to the audio at 2x (you get used to it :laugh: )
Note taking service? Or is that organized by students if they want it?
I would add to the previous comments that between powerpoints and audio, this probably isn't necessary.
Most people go to either the YMCA (one is w/in walking distance of the school) or Peak Fitness. I like both and belong to neither - I use the free gym at the school just because it is adequate and convenient for me.

BTW, this has been a crazy year for applicants. Wake has had over 1000 more applicants this year over last. So if you've gotten an interview, congratulations, and if you're on the list - have patience!

Anyway - back to memorizing antibiotics. Congratulations to all of you!

Hey 2011 and 2011 hopefuls! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted, and good luck to those still waiting to hear! Wanted to pass along some info in regards to housing in Winston-Salem. The Med school runs a housing website which includes houses, apartments, and condos to rent or buy, and even people looking for roomates. I found this webiste really helpful when I was figuring out housing last year.

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/housing

good luck and post with any questions :)