Wake Forest School of Medicine Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livebetter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i'll def be attending wake forest for the class of 2014 and i just wanted to see how many others were out there. look forward to meeting you all!

oh and if anyone knows the best places to live, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be attending, as well! Really looking forward to it, I loved WF when I interviewed there earlier this fall :)

I'm accepted, and still not 100% on where I'm going (lots of BIG decisions coming up)... but i think it would help with those decisions to get to know you guys. I'll start:
I'm a vandy undergrad, originally from florida (tough loss this weekend). Most of my friends are from the southeast, and I have a girlfriend from here in Tennessee. Oh, and my cousin graduated from WFUSM about 10 years ago

I'm accepted, and still not 100% on where I'm going (lots of BIG decisions coming up)... but i think it would help with those decisions to get to know you guys. I'll start:
I'm a vandy undergrad, originally from florida (tough loss this weekend). Most of my friends are from the southeast, and I have a girlfriend from here in Tennessee. Oh, and my cousin graduated from WFUSM about 10 years ago

hey its all good, 2 BCS championships since '06 is still pretty sick...i'm originally from chicago so a big Illinois and ND fan (tough decade for both haha). i'm looking forward to the nice weather though, winters are pretty brutal in the north. compared to other schools, it seemed wake forest to be the most fun. i got a good vibe from the school and the environment.

im originally from chicago, too, but i go to undergrad in boston. i'm also looking forward to the better weather in the south, especially with today's snowy/rainy gross mix in boston. my boyfriend is at WFUSM right now, and i've met a lot of his friends- everyone i've met is really cool and down-to-earth. i think the admisisons committee here specifically looks for people who are a little more social than the typical med student. plus, i've met some of the profs, and they are really, really nice. i think they put a lot of effort into making the curriculum really good and actually care about the students.

I'm 100% attending as well...from raleigh nc...I'm so excited and really love WF! kinda trying to figure out where to live and who to live with!

100% attending as well. I'm also out of state and really excited to be in the warm weather. Wake Forest was awesome, really enjoyed the interview. Look forward to meeting you guys.

I'm also coming from Boston (originally from Seattle, did undergrad in Boston, postbacc in NYC, and I'm currently back in Boston for work) Very excited to live in a new part of the country! And I'm definitely looking forward to the milder weather, too... (as well as cheaper housing prices!) Loved WF when I was there to interview, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all, as well! :)

No, it doesn't look like anyone has started a facebook group. Does anyone know how to do it? The fb group for last year's class is just called "Wake Forest School of Medicine Class of 2013", so if anyone makes one for this year, I'll be sure to join!

Also, since most of you are intent on def going to WF next year, do you mind me asking if you withdrew all your other apps? Are any of you still going on interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances! I'm finishing up my second year and would be glad to answer any questions that you have up to this point. As far as housing goes, you'd probably get the best answers by searching through threads from the last 2 years which had some really good answers to those questions (and this info hasn't changed in the last few years). Other than that, feel free to ask me questions or PM me.

I'm very glad I chose Wake. It is a great place to go to medical school!

Congrats on your acceptance to Wake Forest. It is a wonderful hospital! I am a current resident at Wake Forest and from NC so can answer many questions if you have any. Also, I recently became engaged and would like to rent my townhouse to a new medical student. It is brand new and in a wonderful location. Please message me if you are interested and for more information- or if you have any questions about the hospital!

Accepted to Wake, but still some have to make some decisions. But since the decisions are between Wake and another school, I don't think I can go wrong.

Has anyone received a scholarship offer from Wake yet?

Congrats to those accepted already and good luck to those still waiting to hear. If you're concerned about being on the wait list, have patience...a significant portion of each class (some say as high as 50%) comes from the wait list.

As you've prob already figured out, I'm an MD/PhD student in my 3rd year here. My plan is to get done with research in time to rejoin med school with your class, so I look forward to meeting some of you in just a few months.

If you have any questions about WFUSM, feel free to shoot them my way (PM or post).

anyone know where the best/popular places to live are in winston salem?

anyone know where the best/popular places to live are in winston salem?

http://www.wfubmc.edu/school/community/available-housing.htm

The above link will take you to the page on the school's website where people post available housing and roommate requests. If you're working with a real estate agent (or using a listings website), look in the Ardmore/West End/Downtown areas if you want to be close to campus. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Robinhood-Polo Rd/University areas are only 10-15 min away, but still pretty nice. There are also some relatively new townhouses/condos/apts out Ebert St. Most people that I know live within a few miles of the hospital, but some people live further out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, congrats on your decision to come to Wake. I'm a 4th year and would be happy to answer any questions you have. I'm also selling my condo if anyone is interested. Only 4 years old, in amazing condition, close to everything and I'm pricing it to sell so you'll get an amazing deal. Send me a message if you have questions about Wake or are interested in the condo.

Here's a few: How's parking? If it's a pain, would it make more sense to get an apartment somewhere like west end/glade and just walk to class? How crucial is it that we buy the textbooks? Do we get tickets to the football games? Basketball?

Last edited:
Parking is amazingly easy. Never an issue. Something we don't even think about.

I remember worrying a lot about where, in Winston-Salem, to live. In reality, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Anywhere you live will be 10 minutes away (or much less). My friends live all over the city and we still hang out all of the time. It's part of the charm of Winston.

You'll want to buy some (a few) textbooks. Just wait and talk to upperclassmen. They will be full of advice about which ones are best.

Yes you get tickets to football and basketball. A lottery in in place but it's usually not hard to get tickets despite the lottery. Obviously, it's a function of how well the teams are playing.

Finally, my condo is for sale. I'm selling it for far less than I bought it for just so I don't have to worry about it in residency. It's in perfect condition, only 5 miles from school, close everything and has a great pool.

If you're interested, PM me or here's the link: http://www.maierandmaierrealestate....mLevel=10&PageNo=1&Agora__Item__Detail=574628

Best of luck.

Here's a few: How's parking? If it's a pain, would it make more sense to get an apartment somewhere like west end/glade and just walk to class? How crucial is it that we buy the textbooks? Do we get tickets to the football games? Basketball?

Yeah, parking is no issue. Also, with textbooks, lots of people only buy a few books during the first two years. It is often the highest yield to just study lectures (because this is in fact what you will be tested on). A good physiology book (i.e. Costanzo and/or BRS phys) could be helpful during second year to clarify and solidify your knowledge of physiology.

During first year, there are many books you can buy, but most only buy a few (Netter's anatomy, Robbins Pathology, a specific Neuroanatomy book, a medical interview book). Some people buy immuno/biochem books etc, but these are not at all essential. You will only be tested on things taught in class, so it is usually not high yield to spend excess time in books unless you really just don't get what's going on.

Year 2 a good physiology book is the most important (Costanzo or BRS phys are great) but again, only what is taught in class will be tested. Other than Step 1 study books (i.e. First Aid and Rapid Review Path), most people dont buy tons of books during second year. That being said, some people buy every book they hear about (but probably never read them).

Housing questions are not my forte, but I know a lot of people do walk to school or ride bikes and like it a lot. More probably drive and park in the student lots though. It really just depends on whether you have a car or not.

Tickets to basketball/football usually never run out (unless it is a big game). This year, it seems like they were always telling us that they had extra tickets.

Thank you so much for your informative responses! I was wondering what your experiences with the faculty has been like and just the general atmosphere at the medical school. Plus, what do you guys do for fun?

Thank you so much for your informative responses! I was wondering what your experiences with the faculty has been like and just the general atmosphere at the medical school. Plus, what do you guys do for fun?

My experience may be more limited than others because I did 90% of my studying at home during the first 2 years (once anatomy was over). However, any time I had questions I got rapid answers from faculty and I have really enjoyed the vast majority of the faculty that I have been exposed to. That being said, I just finished 2nd year, and I haven't had much time on the wards. My experience is limited to the faculty of the first two years which has, for the most part, been excellent and very approachable. Most faculty choose to work in a teaching hospital because they enjoy being around students, and this is very apparent in most of the faculty that I have observed.

There is no shortage of things to do in your free time. Think, when you're free, you have 120 other people who are also free, and there are usually lots of people to get together with. The school does frequently have socials/parties with other grad school classes (PA, etc). There are also intramural sports which many med students participate in and can be lots of fun (softball, basketball, inner-tube water polo, etc). NC also has lots of scenery within a couple hours of Winston-Salem that can be taken advantage of (though usually only on weekends after exams or on breaks).

The generally atmosphere can vary greatly depending on the cumulative personalities of an individual class. Turns out, my class tends to be notoriously more studious than classes in the past, but regardless is quite a social class. I have never felt like my class is cut-throat in any way. People just work hard and help each other out a lot. People are always sending out class-wide emails or study aids that are useful to share. Especially during first year, you spend a fair amount of time working in small groups (esp at the beginning of year 1). That experience will obviously depend on the personalities in your groups, but are usually great!

Any more questions, please let me know!

My experience may be more limited than others because I did 90% of my studying at home during the first 2 years (once anatomy was over). However, any time I had questions I got rapid answers from faculty and I have really enjoyed the vast majority of the faculty that I have been exposed to. That being said, I just finished 2nd year, and I haven't had much time on the wards. My experience is limited to the faculty of the first two years which has, for the most part, been excellent and very approachable. Most faculty choose to work in a teaching hospital because they enjoy being around students, and this is very apparent in most of the faculty that I have observed.

There is no shortage of things to do in your free time. Think, when you're free, you have 120 other people who are also free, and there are usually lots of people to get together with. The school does frequently have socials/parties with other grad school classes (PA, etc). There are also intramural sports which many med students participate in and can be lots of fun (softball, basketball, inner-tube water polo, etc). NC also has lots of scenery within a couple hours of Winston-Salem that can be taken advantage of (though usually only on weekends after exams or on breaks).

The generally atmosphere can vary greatly depending on the cumulative personalities of an individual class. Turns out, my class tends to be notoriously more studious than classes in the past, but regardless is quite a social class. I have never felt like my class is cut-throat in any way. People just work hard and help each other out a lot. People are always sending out class-wide emails or study aids that are useful to share. Especially during first year, you spend a fair amount of time working in small groups (esp at the beginning of year 1). That experience will obviously depend on the personalities in your groups, but are usually great!

Any more questions, please let me know!

I agree with pretty much everything NC Doc said and add the following:

Books - Don't worry about them now. There are some you'll need and plenty you won't. Inevitably, you will buy a few you don't use and miss out on a few that could've helped. You'll have a 2nd year big bro/sis who can help you out (you'll meet them during orientation).

Profs - On the whole, faculty in the first 2 years are very accessible/approachable. You won't find many who don't genuinely want to help you out. This is more the case at Wake than other blue-hued institutions you might encounter down I-40 East, according to my friends who go there. Year 3, you won't be spoon-fed things anymore, but that's not a bad thing. Faculty are still around to help you out. Plus, you have residents who are also still learning and can be a huge help. That said, every institution has its bad eggs. Some faculty you just won't get along with. But that's life.

Extracurriculars - You'll find that most people hang out with people of similar background and relationship status. That is, married folks tend to hang out with married folks. Young singles tend to hang out with other young singles. And nontrads tend to hang out with other nontrads. There are plenty of things to do around town and within an hour or two of Winston for every one of those groups. People go out downtown or in Greensboro almost every weekend. Sports keep others occupied, be it intramurals, Wake soccer/football/basketball, or our Class A minor league baseball team - the Dash (brand new stadium downtown). There are plenty of concerts in the area, the River Run Film Festival (mid-April), the School of the Arts, Winston-Salem Symphony, etc.

If you have more specific questions about stuff to do, feel free to shoot them my way. I grew up in Winston, so I know the area well.

Congratulations on your acceptances to Wake. I feel pretty safe in saying that you won't be let down. This school is great. I still feel the same about it as I did when I left my interview day. I probably can't add more to what the 2nd year, 3rd year, and resident can give you but if you have anything let me know. Also, if people are going to be around this summer there are a few things to do and we can always set something up.

Hey guys, congrats on all of your acceptances.

I am planning on moving out of my apartment soon but my lease won't be up on my current apartment until July. Does anybody want to sublease it? If anybody is moving from out of state and don't really want to make hasty living arrangements this would be a good opportunity to have a place to live for a month and and a half until you find the a place that you would possibly be living for the next 1-4 years. I am posting it on here first, before I post it on an ad site for the sample fact that I wish I had this opportunity when I was moving here, it would have saved me money on flights and valuable time that I could have been doing other things that had nothing to do with the process of moving. It's it a pretty nice place, I think the complex was only built like 4 years ago.

Anyways, if you're interested, inbox me for more info and pictures (if I can find the USB for my camera).

I'll be here for sure next year. I'm coming from Wake undergrad too so in terms of stuff to do I have a pretty good idea of the places to make sure you go and to avoid. I have a house with one of my friends who will be working at BB&T and may need another roommate. If anyone is interested, the house is easily within walking distance, PM me if you are interested. I can't promise anything but would certainly like to have someone lined up in case this other one falls through.

Congrats to everyone, I know it was relieving news when I found out.

Hey guys,

anyone know any nice apartment complexes around winston salem area? thanks guys!

Hey guys! I just got my acceptance this morning and I'm planning on attending next year :)

A little about me: I'm female, oos (california, so I can't say I'm looking forward to "warm" weather :p). I've moved around a few times as a kids so I'm used to getting to know new places and love traveling. North Carolina is gorgeous and I think the next four years will be overall awesome! :)

oh and also, have you all heard from financial aid yet?

I posted this on the Facebook site...
Hi Everyone!
I'm looking on the Wake site for roommates but just wanted to put out there that I am looking for a place and a roommate(s) who is dog friendly. I have a 10lb poodle who is a very good girl. There are a lot of houses for rent south of campus but I want to make sure I end up living with other Wake Med Students

Hi all! Congrats to those of you who have been accepted and are definitely coming to Winston-Salem! I just graduated last week, and while I'm super excited about where I'm headed for residency, I am very sad to leave.

I'm looking to rent out my 3BR/2bath house. I have lived here 3 years and absolutely love it. It's on Redwood Ct at Birchwood Dr, 1.5mi from the hospital. It will be available July 1. I'll try to post this to the facebook site too!

Some quick info is below, and I'll send pictures, rent info, and more details for anyone who is interested.

3BR on the main floor
2 full bathrooms, one in the main hallway with 2 sinks and one in the master bedroom
Hardwood floors throughout main floor
Carpeted finished basement with LOTS of space, including 4th bedroom/office
Large garage for a car and/or storage
2 fireplaces -- gas on the main floor, wood-burning downstairs
Washer and dryer in the garage
Large deck
Large fenced-in backyard
Sunroom at one end with floor-to-ceiling windows
Great party house (we've had many... :)
On a quiet, safe cul-de-sac with amazingly friendly neighbors
Close to Baptist, Forsyth, Hanes Mall

Please let me know if you have any questions (about the program or my house!) and I'll send you more info.

Thanks! And good luck to all of you. Med school was one of the best times of my life.

Hey all ! I was accepted to WFU back in early March and I had been planning to go there since then, but I just found out that I got in to UNC from the wait list. I loved Wake during my interviews and I really want to go there, but as an in-state student UNC is obviously a lot cheaper. I am looking for any sort of guidance/advice/insight I can get. One of my questions is whether additional scholarship/grant money is ever offered to students after their first year, or if what you are offered year 1 is pretty much what you're stuck with. Any other information, thoughts, or feelings that might be helpful are also appreciated.

Hope to see you all in July!

Hello!

I'll be attending WFUSM also this upcoming July and am unbelievably excited. I'm looking to live in Ardmore and have been searching for houses along with a fellow "wolfpacker" (GO PACK) who is in the PhD program - suggestions on prime streets? I've found some properties on Elizabeth Ave...your input is welcome! Any fellow EAP acceptees out there?

Cannot wait to meet everyone at orientation,

Rebecca

Hey guys!

Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable but decent apartments that have studios or 1bd/1baths?

On another note, any females looking for a roommate?

I'm also looking for a studio or 1bd/1ba apt...please let me know if u find something--i'll do the same! :)

Hey guys!

Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable but decent apartments that have studios or 1bd/1baths?

On another note, any females looking for a roommate?

Does anyone know what model of Lenovo ThinkPad they're going to give us? I'm just curious

Does anyone know what model of Lenovo ThinkPad they're going to give us? I'm just curious

T401...if you go to the link sent out to everyone that has the physical forms and demographic forms, at the bottom I recall their being something on computing and it tells you all about the computer and printer you receive.

T401...if you go to the link sent out to everyone that has the physical forms and demographic forms, at the bottom I recall their being something on computing and it tells you all about the computer and printer you receive.
Oh, cool, didn't notice that before! Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'll be attending WFUSM this year and look forward to getting things rolling in July. I just found this forum...wish I would have known about it sooner, it looks like there is great info being passed around. I've been trying to get in touch with the school's student ambassadors, but it doesn't seem like they are on-call.

I noticed that the topic of books was brought up earlier, but I have one question regarding this: I just received an email for admissions with a list of "required" books...Which out these ten books are "required"? I saw that there were three anatomy atlas books, but I'm guessing that they all contain pretty much the same material so we don't need all three. I found most of these books online for a fraction of the price, so I would like know which are the most important that way I can save a few bucks to put towards coffee. Does anyone remember which books were the most important to have?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'll be attending WFUSM this year and look forward to getting things rolling in July. I just found this forum...wish I would have known about it sooner, it looks like there is great info being passed around. I've been trying to get in touch with the school's student ambassadors, but it doesn't seem like they are on-call.

I noticed that the topic of books was brought up earlier, but I have one question regarding this: I just received an email for admissions with a list of "required" books...Which out these ten books are "required"? I saw that there were three anatomy atlas books, but I'm guessing that they all contain pretty much the same material so we don't need all three. I found most of these books online for a fraction of the price, so I would like know which are the most important that way I can save a few bucks to put towards coffee. Does anyone remember which books were the most important to have?

Thanks

Yeah I definitely don't think we actually need to buy all of those books. I was thinking that I would wait until I got to campus and talked to some 2nd years to buy books. I think that will still give me enough time to order them and get them delivered

Yeah I definitely don't think we actually need to buy all of those books. I was thinking that I would wait until I got to campus and talked to some 2nd years to buy books. I think that will still give me enough time to order them and get them delivered

I called the admissions office today and was told that all ten books (including the three separate anatomy atlas books) are required. I don't know if she was 100% sure....like you, I'm going to wait to speak with a 2nd year.

I called the admissions office today and was told that all ten books (including the three separate anatomy atlas books) are required. I don't know if she was 100% sure....like you, I'm going to wait to speak with a 2nd year.

Hey, I'm a recent graduate of WFUSM. You DON'T need to buy any books until you get here. Upperclassmen will tell you what to get (and will probably sell you theirs for much cheaper).

Also, I'm renting my condo out and would love to rent it to an incoming med student. 2Br, 2Ba, only 4 years old. Pool, fitness room, private (top floor, and all of the windows and balcony only overlook trees). Only 5 miles from the hospital (6 minute drive in no traffic). Tons of other students/residents live there. I'm giving a 100.00/month discount to a med student if you're interested it (listed for 950/month but I'll rent it to you for 850).

PM me if you're interested or email me at mattgrace (at) gmail (dot) com.

Good luck. I loved Wake and feel well-prepared for residency.

Don't worry about the 'required' books. I tend to think that those are aimed at the military folks who have to have required books. I would defnitely wait until you get here to start asking around about which books are preferred. I can only think of one that is absolutely required and you don't need it until at least a month after you guys get here. There are some students that studied pretty much solely out of the books in the library while there are others who bought a ton of books to find the one they liked. It is all a matter of personal preference.

sooo we're starting in a month minus one day!!!

I don't know whether to be excited or dread the next decade of my life. swinging between both currently.

when are you moving in?

sooo we're starting in a month minus one day!!!

I don't know whether to be excited or dread the next decade of my life. swinging between both currently.

when are you moving in?

Moving in is the tricky part. I haven't found a place yet because I don't want to travel down more than once. So I'm going to try to find a place mid-month and then just stay until orientation. The July 22 start date is a bit awkward, but once I've worked it out I'm sure it will be fine. Apartments are a great price; it seems possible to find a decent 1 bedroom for ~$450/month, which is unheard of in the northeast.