VCU Cert 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys read the email about histology. They took out the lab hours, so no 1 hour classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and everything is digital on the computer.

Still debating on histology though. AHHHH

Yeah, they look like they're trying to make it less painful.

I can tell you this is not an overbearing course. It is not easy, nor are any of the classes you are about to take, but it is less difficult and more manageable than what some of you have been hearing.

What are you considering instead? Immuno?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup sweet! A review course for biochem sounds pretty awesome to me! I hope it doesn't take too much time though.

Did you guys read the email about histology. They took out the lab hours, so no 1 hour classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and everything is digital on the computer.

Still debating on histology though. AHHHH

Since it's going all digital, I am assuming Histo on the computer is the exact same class as was in med school. It was a joke.

Immuno can be tough. Drug dependence has always been relatively easy but i have heard they tried to make it tougher a few years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still looking for a roommate?? Or know of anyone looking for a roommate? I was recently accepted and I'm from out of state so don't really know anything about the area! :(

Good news! Please elaborate. :D

They have a really good digital program, but the testing questions are just obnoxious the way they're set up.

on another note...does anyone want to buy a lehninger biochem for 60 bucks? I can't remember what I paid for it last year, but I just looked on amazon and they're "used from 75" there. PM me if interested.

Okay, here's the update (I'll merge all of the related posts to keep it coherent):

... and the update:
"We view each year of academics and if there is a decreasing GPA it is important that you address it, and the cert program should. If you did well your senior year then the committee might be able to make a decision after the first semester of the cert program, if not then two semesters of the cert program will be necessary. Your application would be put on hold until the end of Dec when grades would be available, which will not put you at a disadvantage if you have a decreasing GPA from undergrad which would not be looked upon favorably."

So it looks like I (as well as applicants similar to myself) will be put on hold for fall grades.

Anyone have any idea what kind of GPA might be req'd to have the app put on hold til December?

Is anyone currently filling out secondaries? I'm working on NYMC and they're asking for a letter from a professor of a graduate course (since I'm enrolled in Cert). Anyone have any idea how I should fill this out?

Also, should I submit my VCU secondary ASAP or does it matter since they'll probably hold my app until december?

Is anyone currently filling out secondaries? I'm working on NYMC and they're asking for a letter from a professor of a graduate course (since I'm enrolled in Cert). Anyone have any idea how I should fill this out?
I would call/email them and explain that you are not in a degree-granting graduate program. The thought behind the letter is they want to make sure that your thesis (non-existent in your case) is on schedule and that you'll successfully graduate prior to matriculation. I had to obtain a similar letter for MCW and I just had Dr. De Felice write:
- That I was, in fact, enrolled in the program
- That the program takes one year to complete
- That I am currently in good academic standing

Also, should I submit my VCU secondary ASAP or does it matter since they'll probably hold my app until december?
Immediately. If I remember correctly you have one month to submit the secondary after receiving the invitation to fill it out, December would be much too late.

How important do you think it is for the VCU essay to be close to 8000 characters? I'm at about 2000 now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The physiology syllabus came in yesterday and I picked up yesterday morning. Looks brutal.

I just got into the program literally about 2 days ago. so those emails saying someone doesn't have their stuff set up is probably me! can anyone tell me how far behind I am? I missed the first two days of classes. Got accepted Wed, and rushed to Virginia asap. thanks

I just got into the program literally about 2 days ago. so those emails saying someone doesn't have their stuff set up is probably me! can anyone tell me how far behind I am? I missed the first two days of classes. Got accepted Wed, and rushed to Virginia asap. thanks

Not too far. Thursday in Physiology we half the class was introduction stuff the other half was the first lecture, and on Friday we review the first lecture a bit, finished the first lecture, and proceeded to the second lecture. In Biochemistry we didn't really do anything the first day, and the second day was more of a review of topics that you should already know. Once you get on blackboard both lectures are video recorded there, and you can watch them and catch up on the class completely. If you chose histology for your elective, then we didn't do anything the first day accept being shown how to use the digital histology program. On your schedule it shows that histology is everyday, but Tuesday and Thursday the class does not meet. It meets only MWF, so the second class will be tomorrow. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the reply. It helps and calms my nerves way more than you can imagine!! Blackboard should be set up for me early this week so I'll spend any free time I have catching up.

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? :) Probably a little late, but if not, where do you guys live?

Welcome back to school!

I am highly interested in VCU's CERT program and thinking about applying for 2012-2013 year. I was wondering if I can get some numbers (GPA, GREs, and MCATs), extracurricular activities (volunteer, research, jobs)....and anything else that is put on an application?

And those who are now attending/attended, what is the program like?

I was wondering if I can get some numbers (GPA, GREs, and MCATs), extracurricular activities (volunteer, research, jobs)....and anything else that is put on an application?

On the second post of the first page I posted the average stats our current class. Here's what you need to list on their 'fast track' application:
- Test scores (MCAT, DAT, GRE)
- GPA (cumulative, BCPM)
- Course grades (include the name of the courses: BCPM only)
- Personal statement: (Please limit to one page – Questions 5-7 may be answered in CV/Résumé format to keep to the page limit.)
Detail your career goals and previous experience to better assess reason and motivation behind your application. In essay format, address in particular:
1. Long-term career goals and how CERT at VCU would help you achieve those goals?
2. Initial motivating factors for a career in medicine or other health professions.
3. What has been your most difficult challenge, and how have you met that challenge?
4. What have you learned most about yourself over the last three years?
5. Medically related experience, including dates and duration.
6. Research experience, including dates and duration.
7. Community service, including dates and duration.

And those who are now attending/attended, what is the program like?
I'm only in the second week, so it's too early to say much. From what it looks like, though, if you've taken biochem and physio as an undergrad these courses should definitely be manageable.

Thanks aSagacious, I appreciate your help.

For the GPA, do they ask for AMCAS style or what is on the official transcript?

For the GPA, do they ask for AMCAS style or what is on the official transcript?

It is AMCAS style in that you must report cumulative GPA (from all courses taken since high school, including dual-enrollment courses taken during high school) as well as a BCPM average as defined by the AAMC. It differs from AMCAS in that you do not need to report a year-by-year breakdown or report an 'all-others' GPA (or the average from those courses that are not classified as BCPM).

Has anyone in the CERT program gotten an interview at VCU or maybe even gotten an acceptance into VCU yet? Since Fall grades are already out, I'm wondering how many people have gotten their "guaranteed interviews" before the cycle's over.

Last edited:
For those who attend there now, what were your GPA, sGPA, MCAT scores for applying?

Edit: In the presentation during our orientation they shared the average stats of our class (11-12).

78 certificate students, 36 women 42 men
52 in-state, 26 non-residents (14 states, 3 international)

Average GPA 3.26
Average MCAT 28
Average DAT 19.5
Average GREs 1236

I have a 3.24cGPA, ~3.00 sGPA (3.775 last semester, 3.8 last last semester). Say I get a 25 on my MCAT, are my chances pretty decent for this program? What about S.Carolina's?

I have a 3.24cGPA, ~3.00 sGPA (3.775 last semester, 3.8 last last semester). Say I get a 25 on my MCAT, are my chances pretty decent for this program? What about S.Carolina's?

You probably have a decent chance at both programs (though probably better at USC than VCU). In any event you will probably be encouraged to retake your MCAT prior to applying to med schools (and will certainly be required to retake it if you hope to make use of VCU's guaranteed interview).

I am waiting for my last two LORs to post in my application packet...:xf:....anyone else applying interviewing at Medical schools or on waitlists? How are you managing both...me, I think that if I do not get an SOM acceptance by late may I will take potentially an acceptance to VCU CERT...classes start in August?

Is the personal statement the same thing as the statement of purpose?

I just did primary motivation to do medicine, academic downfall, and proposed path to med school. But I also attached my amcas personal statement.

No, your personal statement is the AMCAS one and the statement of purpose is for activites and your interests, and anything else you want to write...
Unless you do not have an AMCAS PS, then the statement of purpose is for that too.

For those future doctors applying for the 2012-2013 school year, what are your current stats?

Has anyone heard from the program for the 2012-2013 year?

Just got accepted into the program today. However, I will be declining my offer

Started app - 2/3
Completed app - 3/12
Accepted - 3/30

I will now visit this school and to evaulate the program and campus, to see if I will accept the offer.

hey alex what was your GPA and GRE if you don't mind me asking

Recived notice that I have been accepted to the cert program, after being waitlisted
at several schools it feels marvelous to see an acceptance.

I have been accepted to the program, and will be attending this fall. I realize that this is my last chance to get into a dental school. My question is, how many students in the 2011 class were given an interview for the VCU dental school?
An response would be appreciated.

Just got ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!! I'll probably be attending. Anyone know where to look for apartments/housing and room mates and what not.

Just got ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!! I'll probably be attending. Anyone know where to look for apartments/housing and room mates and what not.

Congratulations! I just received my acceptance email yesterday as well! I'm still debating between this program and another one that accepted me, however I think I'm leaning towards VCU :)

I've kind of been looking at apartments, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to room with someone or not (esp. because I have a puppy), but apartments.com has been my go-to browsing site. I think the program website has some helpful sites wayyy down at the end about housing options. Hope this helps!

I've recently been accepted into the program and am looking for a roommate. Anyone that's chill and ready to strap down for a year of hard studying. I was hoping to stay very close, if not walking distance, to the MCV campus, since that is where our most of our classes seem to be. PM me. Thanks.