VCU CERT Postbacc Program Fall 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2med_1

Reaction score
I am a former VCU CERT student, currently working in the CERT office and I wanted to create this thread for anyone interested in the CERT program/currently applying this cycle to help answer any questions!

I can help answer questions about:
1. Application process
2. Life in CERT/Richmond
3. Guaranteed interview with VCU School Of Medicine/Early file review with VCU Dental School
And anything else!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a recent graduate of the CERT program. Please do not enroll in this program. After graduating as a top student in the class (way over the 3.5 GPA requirement and scored over the 90th %ile for the MCAT), I have not been accepted to VCU medical school. If your goal is to get into medical or dental school, there are far better post-bacc/ masters programs to achieve that result. A guaranteed interview means nothing. If they guaranteed an interview to a cardboard box, they still don’t need to admit them. I was fortunate enough to get into a better medical school than VCU, but only because of my standardized exam scores.

In short, this program is a $30,000 MCAT prep class. The administration is horribly run (the professor who “ran” the program was physically absent in the Caribbean for the first 10 weeks of the program), we were treated like second class students even though we were in the same courses as PhD students, and the attrition rate of students in the program was startling (we started with about 110 students and finished with 50 something). And get this—I had classmates score poorly in a class and the administration would try and persuade them to drop ANOTHER $30,000 for the master’s degree. What a joke!

Reactions: 1 user
I am a former VCU CERT student, currently working in the CERT office and I wanted to create this thread for anyone interested in the CERT program/currently applying this cycle to help answer any questions!

I can help answer questions about:
1. Application process
2. Life in CERT/Richmond
3. Guaranteed interview with VCU School Of Medicine/Early file review with VCU Dental School
And anything else!

Hey!! I applied to CERT about 4 weeks ago. How long does it typically take to get a decision back?

I applied a couple of weeks back and got in. I already have MCAT 514 andit looks like one has to finish the program and then apply in the next cycle. Seriously? So if I join FALL 2022 that means I have to apply 2024 Fall Medical school admissions. What am I supposed to do in 2023? Gap year? This is stupid. I don not need further MCAT training.