VCU Cert 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sed8&Intub8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for the VCU Cert program for 2011-2012. If there is one please let me know, if not, let this be it.

Have you guys started apply?
Heard back anything?
What kind of stats do you guys have?
Where else are you applying?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: In the presentation during our orientation they shared the average stats of our class (11-12).

78 certificate students, 36 women 42 men
52 in-state, 26 non-residents (14 states, 3 international)

Average GPA 3.26
Average MCAT 28
Average DAT 19.5
Average GREs 1236

Applying to Medical School 67
Applying to Dental School 8
Applying for PhD/MS 3

I didn't see a thread for the VCU Cert program for 2011-2012. If there is one please let me know, if not, let this be it.
Hey, we've just been mooching off of the 10-11 thread
(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=699817&page=3), but probably a good idea to start one of our own.

Have you guys started apply?
Yep, I completed all of my stuff last week

Heard back anything?
"Your application has recently been completed. If you are accepted or rejected you should hear a response from us within the next 2 weeks. However, if you are placed on Hold it may take months."

Where else are you applying?
Temple ACMS
UPenn Pre-Health SS
UConn Post-Bac Program B
U of S Carolina Post-Bac in Biomed Sciences

Last edited:
I've just recently discovered this program and plan to apply. I e-mailed one of the staff with some questions, but maybe you guys can help me out. Do the letter of references have to be from science faculty?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just applied as well. They said I should hear back in about a week or so.

Did you guys always plan to apply their? My letters of recommendation are directed toward dental school, so I don't think they would accept those, not to mention that the letter of reference form isn't included. And do the letters have to be from science faculty?

Do the letter of references have to be from science faculty?
I don't see any explicit restrictions on letters of reference, so I would imagine that any three would suffice (though I'd check with the admissions folks first).

My letters of recommendation are directed toward dental school, so I don't think they would accept those, not to mention that the letter of reference form isn't included.
First, they state on their website that the CERT, "...is a one-year, graduate-level program for individuals seeking to enhance their qualifications for admission into professional school, including Medical, Dental, and Veterinary School."

So, your letters directed towards dental school are fine. VCU is aware that not all pre-health students are pre-med.

As far as the letter of reference form, I just recycled mine from Interfolio (or the equivalent). I simply sent my letters directly from the online database, rather than bug my letter writers to do more work.

As far as the letter of reference form, I just recycled mine from Interfolio (or the equivalent). I simply sent my letters directly from the online database, rather than bug my letter writers to do more work.
So you didn't have your references fill out the reference form? I thought the reference forms were required.

Did you guys always plan to apply their? My letters of recommendation are directed toward dental school, so I don't think they would accept those, not to mention that the letter of reference form isn't included. And do the letters have to be from science faculty?

My friend just got accepted into VCU's dental school from this program. Everything she had was dental related. So I think you'll be fine. I asked about the recommendations, and they said it doesn't matter, but would like at least one to be science.

So you didn't have your references fill out the reference form? I thought the reference forms were required.
The program administrator told me that emailing the letters they wrote in place of the evaluation is preferred.

This may be a dumb question, but for those who submitted the Fast Track Review form, did you submit a one-page personal statement and then a separate resume? Or did you cram it all on one page?

This may be a dumb question, but for those who submitted the Fast Track Review form, did you submit a one-page personal statement and then a separate resume? Or did you cram it all on one page?

I answered prompts 1-4 on the personal statement form (I think all of my essays combined was ~2/3 of a page). I then attached my CV/Resume in lieu of prompts 5-7.

I answered prompts 1-4 on the personal statement form (I think all of my essays combined was ~2/3 of a page). I then attached my CV/Resume in lieu of prompts 5-7.

Thanks, this is what I'm doing. My essay addressing prompts 1-4 was a full page even after a great deal of editing so there was no way prompts 5-7 were going to fit on there.

How quickly did you hear back about your FastTrack Review?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you use the fast track option will they really tell you dont apply if you wont be able to get in?

To those that used the fasttrack, did they tell your chances of acceptance or was it more of a vague 'we encourage you to apply' reply?

To those that used the fasttrack, did they tell your chances of acceptance or was it more of a vague 'we encourage you to apply' reply?

"Dear aSagacious,
I have finished reviewing you Fast Track application. You will be a competitive applicant for our program and I strongly encourage you to apply."

Was just speaking to the program director for the program, and just in case any of you guys were wondering, here are some of the things we spoke about. Recommendations, highly recommended to have one science, others can be whatever, non-science, volunteer supervisors, advisors, etc. If you have a committee letter, then just that is enough for all your recommendations. 3.0 is considered competitive, and 25 MCAT is competitive as well. Last years average was a 27 for the program. He said they do pay a lot of attention to your recommendations though. Just an FYI.

Just received my recommendation for acceptance into the program from the program director.
Here are my stats just in case anybody was curious about where they stand.

GPA: 3.32
GRE: 1160 690 Q 470 V
LORs: 1 science, 1 mentor, 1 non-science professor
Major: Psych, Biochem @ Virginia Tech
Clubs: Students Helping Honduras, Best Buddies

Best of luck to everyone!

Just got a recommendation for acceptance also.

3.34 OA, ~3.24 BCPM
29M MCAT
Business major

To those that received an acceptance - how did you find out? Call, EMAIL, LETTER? And congratulations!

Thanks for the congrats. I got mine by email

You don't have to fill out the fast-track review in order for an acceptance? I've been complete for a few weeks now and nothing.

32R, 3.4 cum, 3.3 sci

Hey, I have a question about references

VCU's site says we can have our professors email their reference letters...but how would they use the reccomendation form that VCU requests you use? The PDF says it can't be saved..how would professors include their responses to the *superior/good/average...* type checkbox questions they have?

IIRC, you can just submit your lors without the recommendation forms. Email the program admin to confirm.

I spoke with Zach today and he said that a LOR can replace the "checkbox" questions they have on their Reccomendation form.

However, he said I should use interfolio or some sort of service to submit my letters. Has anyone just had their profs submit their letters VIA email directly (as http://www.graduate.vcu.edu/admission/prospective/domestic/checklist.html says [include applicants full name in subject line...etcetc])?

It is advantageous to use a letter bank service now so that you'll have these letters readily available when you apply to medical school using AMCAS.

It is advantageous to use a letter bank service now so that you'll have these letters readily available when you apply to medical school using AMCAS.

I couldn't agree more. I've dealt with the application process already, and I've been delayed weeks (even months) by an elderly professor and his struggles to submit an LOR. It just makes sense to use a virtual letter collection program- no delays, instantaneous confirmation and submission, and the ability to reuse the recommendations ad infinitum.

-C.J.

For those who are waiting to hear back from admissions...

2/6 - Fast track application submitted
2/10 - Formal graduate application submitted
3/16 - Accepted

Last edited:
For those who are waiting to hear back from admissions...

2/6 - Fast track application submitted
2/10 - Formal graduate application submitted
3/16 - Accepted

Stats - see MDApps profile

3.70 and 32 and no med school acceptances :eek: ?

anyone that's been accepted get any mail from VCU yet?

Hi all! I applied to this program earlier last month and I haven't received anything other than a receipt of payment. I have tried calling them numerous times, but I have been unsuccessful in getting in touch with anyone.

There isn't even an applicant portal or anything. Could I possibly e-mail them any updates or my MCAT re-take?

Thanks and congrats to those accepted! :)

Checked that my MCAT scores aren't there for some reason....should I probably just e-mail him the score report? Or, if I was a previous applicant to their school (this 2010-2011 cycle) will they be able to retrieve it via my AMCAS once they get a chance?

Hmm, good question. I'd recommend just emailing the report (would be a much faster turnaround).

Accepted today. Submitted application 3/16 and it was complete 3/25.

Submitted 3/1, complete 3/21, accepted 4/1.

I was accepted today also. Goodluck to everyone still applying or waiting to hear back.

Congratulations to you both. Have either of you settled on a particular program yet, or still waiting to hear back from a few?

I haven't settled on a particular program yet. This is my first acceptance, which is a huge relief. I'm still waiting to hear back from a medical school and three other graduate post bac programs. The best part is that you don't have to notify them of your decision to accept or decline until June 1st. Plenty of time to hear back from other schools and make a decision without losing a deposit.

I haven't settled on a particular program yet. This is my first acceptance, which is a huge relief. I'm still waiting to hear back from a medical school and three other graduate post bac programs. The best part is that you don't have to notify them of your decision to accept or decline until June 1st. Plenty of time to hear back from other schools and make a decision without losing a deposit.

Have to agree with this.. alot nicer than the two weeks most schools give you

I'm also waiting to hear from other programs. Nice to get the first one.

Edit: how do yall think VCU cert compared to BU mams? which would you choose?

Last edited:
I'm also waiting to hear from other programs. Nice to get the first one.

Edit: how do yall think VCU cert compared to BU mams? which would you choose?

+1 the question.. Can anyone compare VCU to BU MAMS? What types of linkages or percentages does VCU advertise?

Can anyone compare VCU to BU MAMS? What types of linkages or percentages does VCU advertise?

VCU
Class size: 75
Tuition: 22k
Linkage: ~20%, 3.5+ / 28+ = guaranteed interview at VCU-SOM
Glide year: after one year cert (if needed) continue on to masters

BU
Class size: 170-180
Tuition: 44k
Linkage: no guarantees, 25 / 175 accepted to BU (70% eventually get in somewhere)
Glide year: no real plan in place, just cut you loose

Last edited:
I sent in my application a week ago and all my recs, transcript, PS have been received-- but my "Application Status" says it's still incomplete items outstanding. Did anyone else have this problem? Will they not look at my application until this changes into a "complete" on my status?

I sent in my application a week ago and all my recs, transcript, PS have been received-- but my "Application Status" says it's still incomplete items outstanding. Did anyone else have this problem? Will they not look at my application until this changes into a "complete" on my status?

Test score? Application fee?

One of the things that I liked about the application process at VCU was that everything was laid out so that you could see what was missing.

The status should change to "Complete ready for review" once everything is all set. I'd be surprised that they would look at your application before it was complete. Call over there today and see what they need from you.

VCU
Class size: 75
Tuition: 22k
Linkage: ~20%, 3.5+ / 28+ = guaranteed interview at VCU-SOM
Glide year: after one year cert (if needed) continue on to masters

BU
Class size: 170-180
Tuition: 44k
Linkage: no guarantees, 25 / 175 accepted to BU (70% eventually get in somewhere)
Glide year: no real plan in place, just cut you loose

Wheredja get this info? just your own research or is there something liek this for most of the schools already out there?