VCU Cert 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats and good luck to those who got in! And refer to Instatewaiter's post on hitting the ground running. Spot on.

Wouldn't worry much about it unless your study style is particularly reliant on textbooks. Physiology print out a detailed "syllabus" which substitutes a text book and can be purchased at a reasonable price at the bookstore. BioC using Leninger's book. Histo might have a textbook, I can't recall if one was recommended or required. Make use of the program they provide for free, though.

Agree with this, but as a medical student who just finished taking Step 1, I would highly recommend going ahead and picking up Costanzo's physiology textbook and BRS Phys (also by Costanzo). They are very similar in their layout and content with her textbook containing more pictures, diagrams and a bit more explanation. I kept both after the program and have used them for just about all my blocks second year and for review of the boards.

Best of luck to everyone. I'd like to second Instatewaiter's comments about taking the program seriously. I can assure you that it's absolutely possible to do very well in the program if you put the effort into it. It is much more similar to medical school in that you get out of it what you put into it.

Members don't see this ad.

Best of luck to everyone. I'd like to second Instatewaiter's comments about taking the program seriously. I can assure you that it's absolutely possible to do very well in the program if you put the effort into it. It is much more similar to medical school in that you get out of it what you put into it.

Quick question with regards to the bold statement. Not that it'll make a difference, but I'm just curious. Are most of the classes graded straight scale (raw points / points available) or curved (top 10% = 4.0, top 30% = 3.0, etc)?

Quick question with regards to the bold statement. Not that it'll make a difference, but I'm just curious. Are most of the classes graded straight scale (raw points / points available) or curved (top 10% = 4.0, top 30% = 3.0, etc)?

Most of the classes are graded on a straight scale. Physiology is for the most part, 90%=A 80%=B sometimes there is a very small curve. Histology is just like physiology except there is no curve. You need a 90% for an A. To make up for not having a curve they give you 10 extra credit questions at the end of the year. There are a total of 4 exams with 100 questions each so that adds up to 2.5% potential extra credit points. Biochem has by far the easiest curve probably due to the fact that most exams are free response. Last year we were lucky and the first semester of biochem curved an A all the way to an 84%. On the syllabus it usually states that an 87% will give you an A and that it is subject to change based on the class performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
I got accepted into the VCU program as well as Midwestern University M.A Program and I am having a hard time deciding which school to attend! I was wondering to those that decided to attended the VCU program, what was your deciding factor? I have to let them know by the end of the week and I am still waiting to hear back from other schools as well... Thanks.

For all you that have been accepted recently, can you post when your app was "complete and ready to review" and when you heard back? Mine has been complete and ready to review for a bit now and I'm anxious to hear back!

Most of the classes are graded on a straight scale. Physiology is for the most part, 90%=A 80%=B sometimes there is a very small curve. Histology is just like physiology except there is no curve. You need a 90% for an A. To make up for not having a curve they give you 10 extra credit questions at the end of the year. There are a total of 4 exams with 100 questions each so that adds up to 2.5% potential extra credit points. Biochem has by far the easiest curve probably due to the fact that most exams are free response. Last year we were lucky and the first semester of biochem curved an A all the way to an 84%. On the syllabus it usually states that an 87% will give you an A and that it is subject to change based on the class performance.

Took the words out of my mouth. Biochem curve cutoff, from what I remember, was like 83-85 being the A/B cutoff. It was pretty gracious.

How about +/- grades? Do they do those here?

Last year we were lucky and the first semester of biochem curved an A all the way to an 84%. On the syllabus it usually states that an 87% will give you an A and that it is subject to change based on the class performance.

Took the words out of my mouth. Biochem curve cutoff, from what I remember, was like 83-85 being the A/B cutoff. It was pretty gracious.

Haha, I don't know if I should be more comforted or scared by this. Either they are being generous with the number of 4.0's handed out, or it is quite difficult to end up in the 90% range (which, in my experience, is very possible for a biochem sequence).

For all you that have been accepted recently, can you post when your app was "complete and ready to review" and when you heard back? Mine has been complete and ready to review for a bit now and I'm anxious to hear back!

I second this. I am in the same situation, so, please post dates!

I really want to go to this program, but will have a 3.22ish by Christmas my senior year...could you say your GPA/MCAT if any of you all are all right with that?

I second this. I am in the same situation, so, please post dates!

My app was complete on Feb. 16 and I got the acceptance e-mail on March 2.

Also, a 3.22 should be fine to get in. I think people have gotten in with sub 3.0 GPAs.

My app was complete on Feb. 16 and I got the acceptance e-mail on March 2.

Also, a 3.22 should be fine to get in. I think people have gotten in with sub 3.0 GPAs.

Really? That's great. I should have a 3.3 after graduation, but now I'm wondering if I should do a post-bacc @ TCOM... my resident state of TX because it's cheaper. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Really upset with the program! I handed them all my recommendation letters and everything was complete June 9th. I went to the program office and handed them my recommendation letters in person on June 9th. I kept checking the status of my application and it kept saying that the letters have not been received. I emailed them to ask them what is going on, and Zack told me the letters have been sent to the graduate office. I called the graduate office last Friday to see why it's not updating in the system yet and they said they never received anything, contacted the certificate program office again, and they finally e-mailed me back yesterday. A new person e-mailed me, not Zack, and said the letters were never sent, nor processed and will be sent to the graduate admissions office. They were just sitting there for 2 weeks. They probably won't process them until the end of this week or next week. Which is almost 3 weeks after my application was "complete". I should have gotten a response from them by now, but due to their negligence, my application isn't even complete, and I will have to wait another three weeks.

You can always check the status online
https://ssb.vcu.edu/

It'll tell you what's in and what not.

My most recently received item was a rec letter, on 06/09. I think I was complete and ready for review that day..but no response as of now :mad:

I have some questions:
I don't plan on applying to medical schools this first year if I get accepted since I had a slightly lower GPA than other SMP-ers, and not to mention I won't be taking the MCAT until August (I had a GRE score already).

That being said, I 95% plan on continuing a second year for the masters during the glide year. Just wondering - are we able to choose our own topics for our research? Are there opportunities for conferences and publications? I'm not sure how research in this program works - at my undergrad, it was completely independent - I picked my own lab, and depending on how much work you put it and if you found anything novel, you could submit a paper/go to conferences with your PI, etc.

Also, if I do well and am offered an interview, and say I get accepted ; am I allowed to defer the acceptance by 1 year? Are interviews automatically given or do you have to apply to be eligible (as far as MCV is concerned)?

You can always check the status online
https://ssb.vcu.edu/

It'll tell you what's in and what not.

My most recently received item was a rec letter, on 06/09. I think I was complete and ready for review that day..but no response as of now :mad:

I have some questions:
I don't plan on applying to medical schools this first year if I get accepted since I had a slightly lower GPA than other SMP-ers, and not to mention I won't be taking the MCAT until August (I had a GRE score already).

That being said, I 95% plan on continuing a second year for the masters during the glide year. Just wondering - are we able to choose our own topics for our research? Are there opportunities for conferences and publications? I'm not sure how research in this program works - at my undergrad, it was completely independent - I picked my own lab, and depending on how much work you put it and if you found anything novel, you could submit a paper/go to conferences with your PI, etc.

Also, if I do well and am offered an interview, and say I get accepted ; am I allowed to defer the acceptance by 1 year? Are interviews automatically given or do you have to apply to be eligible (as far as MCV is concerned)?

I don't know about the rest, but they did tell me it's a 2-3 week time on a decision once everything is received. So, maybe by June 30th you'll know.

To my understanding, the second year is a classic master's degree. How these usually work is you pick a thesis advisor and work under the umbrella of their expertise. So, for example, if he/she was an ion channel expert you'd study a certain calcium channel for you project. It is really in the PhD programs where you 'choose' your own topic (at least to a greater extent). It is quite typical (and often expected) that you knock off a publication or two and attend a conference or two during your time in a master's program.

You can defer for a year but you need a valid reason (not just 'I want to tour Europe for a year') as with any other school. I'm not sure what more you'd need to be 'eligible' for the interview aside from the 3.5/30, since they presumably screened you for other criteria to be admitted to the CERT program (though I am not certain of this fact, so I'll yield to a person more informed than myself).

To my understanding, the second year is a classic master's degree. How these usually work is you pick a thesis advisor and work under the umbrella of their expertise. So, for example, if he/she was an ion channel expert you'd study a certain calcium channel for you project. It is really in the PhD programs where you 'choose' your own topic (at least to a greater extent). It is quite typical (and often expected) that you knock off a publication or two and attend a conference or two during your time in a master's program.

You can defer for a year but you need a valid reason (not just 'I want to tour Europe for a year') as with any other school. I'm not sure what more you'd need to be 'eligible' for the interview aside from the 3.5/30, since they presumably screened you for other criteria to be admitted to the CERT program (though I am not certain of this fact, so I'll yield to a person more informed than myself).

Is the cutoff for the interview a 30? I was under the impression it was a 28.

Is the cutoff for the interview a 30? I was under the impression it was a 28.

Oops, my apologies you are correct. Thanks for the catch.

"GUARANTEED MEDICAL SCHOOL INTERVIEW AT VCU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

Students successfully finishing the program with a GPA of 3.5 and presenting an MCAT score of 28 or higher are guaranteed an interview for the medical school at VCU, for the application cycle following completion of the CERT Program. Significant medical experience and exemplary professional behavior are also important for guaranteed interviews."
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/

Oops, my apologies you are correct. Thanks for the catch.

"GUARANTEED MEDICAL SCHOOL INTERVIEW AT VCU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

Students successfully finishing the program with a GPA of 3.5 and presenting an MCAT score of 28 or higher are guaranteed an interview for the medical school at VCU, for the application cycle following completion of the CERT Program. Significant medical experience and exemplary professional behavior are also important for guaranteed interviews."
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/

Okay, cool. Just making sure you didn't know any inside information that I wasn't aware of.

How about: I want to finish up this masters so I have another degree to tack up on my wall :laugh:

Hey everyone.
I'll most likely be joining the VCU Cert class of 2012. Excited! :luck: to everyone waiting to hear. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! And for those wondering about stats: GPA: 3.3, MCAT: 30. I'm sorry I don't remember my complete/acceptance date, but I've known for a while, I just hadn't posted.

Hey everyone.
I'll most likely be joining the VCU Cert class of 2012. Excited! :luck: to everyone waiting to hear. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! And for those wondering about stats: GPA: 3.3, MCAT: 30. I'm sorry I don't remember my complete/acceptance date, but I've known for a while, I just hadn't posted.

Congrats and good luck

Are the classes taught on the MCV side of campus?

This wait is killing me..they let you know via email before snail mail, correct? Is it possible they made a decision and are waiting on an email or something? Like if I call them, think they'd know? Guess it wouldn't hurt....

Yay! I got in today!

Application was marked complete ready for review June 23rd.

This wait is killing me..they let you know via email before snail mail, correct? Is it possible they made a decision and are waiting on an email or something? Like if I call them, think they'd know? Guess it wouldn't hurt....

I got an email which said I need to let them know by July 8th with your decision about accepting or declining their offer for a position in the program.

I decided to sign up for the big three, anyone know how long before it will let you sign up. I was a VCU student for undergrad so I have all my login stuff, but it says that I am not a student currently...

I decided to sign up for the big three, anyone know how long before it will let you sign up. I was a VCU student for undergrad so I have all my login stuff, but it says that I am not a student currently...

Hmm, I doubt it'd take longer than a week or so. Have you already sent in the letter to the graduate school accepting their offer? ([email protected]). I imagine this is where the hold-up might be.

Hmm, I doubt it'd take longer than a week or so. Have you already sent in the letter to the graduate school accepting their offer? ([email protected]). I imagine this is where the hold-up might be.

"We would ask that you inform us in writing by July 8th , by e-mail to [email protected], of your decision to accept or not accept this offer of a position in the Certificate Program for the fall of 2011."

So I emailed that emailed address. Where did you get the other email address from!?

"We would ask that you inform us in writing by July 8th , by e-mail to [email protected], of your decision to accept or not accept this offer of a position in the Certificate Program for the fall of 2011."

So I emailed that emailed address. Where did you get the other email address from!?

On the checklist for new graduate students sent with your offer of admission. I simply sent a quick email to both addresses (not sure if it's a big deal or not).

On the checklist for new graduate students sent with your offer of admission. I simply sent a quick email to both addresses (not sure if it's a big deal or not).

Just curious. After you sent an e-mail to them saying you accept the offer, how many days later did the graduate school send you an email about your acceptance. Apparently, when you send an email to accept the offer, the program lets the graduate school know that you want to do the program, and the graduate school will then send you an email saying you are accepted and your student number etc, and at that point you can register for classes, and the financial aid can go forward. I need to get financial aid processed so I can figure things out for getting an apartment and all that, so just trying to figure out when I can expect stuff...

Just curious. After you sent an e-mail to them saying you accept the offer, how many days later did the graduate school send you an email about your acceptance. Apparently, when you send an email to accept the offer, the program lets the graduate school know that you want to do the program, and the graduate school will then send you an email saying you are accepted and your student number etc, and at that point you can register for classes, and the financial aid can go forward. I need to get financial aid processed so I can figure things out for getting an apartment and all that, so just trying to figure out when I can expect stuff...

I think it was about a week until I heard back from the graduate school (but I can't remember exactly).

With regards to financial aid, I was accepted in late March and I am STILL waiting for my Graduate PLUS loan to be processed (though the Stafford took about a month to go through).

I think it was about a week until I heard back from the graduate school (but I can't remember exactly).

With regards to financial aid, I was accepted in late March and I am STILL waiting for my Graduate PLUS loan to be processed (though the Stafford took about a month to go through).

This is not good to hear...

I really hope they don't take this long for me, that will be bad, real bad.

This is not good to hear...

I really hope they don't take this long for me, that will be bad, real bad.

Remember this though. The date that you are awarded a loan and the date that it is disbursed is different. Most likely the money won't be in your hands until the week classes start (or perhaps the week before), so I wouldn't count on it for an apartment security deposit or something similar.

Though disbursement date is something that could probably be answered by the financial aid office: http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/finaid/contact.html, (804) 828-6669

Remember this though. The date that you are awarded a loan and the date that it is disbursed is different. Most likely the money won't be in your hands until the week classes start (or perhaps the week before), so I wouldn't count on it for an apartment security deposit or something similar.

Though disbursement date is something that could probably be answered by the financial aid office: http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/finaid/contact.html, (804) 828-6669

Oh yea, that's not the concern, I just want to make sure everything works out and that it will be available. Thanks though!

Hey everyone.

With that MCAT Score, you dont need this program!

Has anyone else received an email for the generic graduate student orientation? VCU grad school says it's August 19th.

Do we have to attend this one (in addition to the generic med school orientation on the 22nd AM as well as the CERT orientation on the 22nd PM)? That's a lot of orienting :D.

Has anyone else received an email for the generic graduate student orientation? VCU grad school says it's August 19th.

Do we have to attend this one (in addition to the generic med school orientation on the 22nd AM as well as the CERT orientation on the 22nd PM)? That's a lot of orienting :D.

I did not receive an email about that, however, it seems like this one is optional. The other two are mandatory.

I signed up for classes today! YAY!

Bittersweet victory, huh? ;)

Yea I guess. I'm still debating on taking the Neuro class and the seminar instead of Histology...but I think I'll probably stick with Histo. Histo scares me though.

Yea I guess. I'm still debating on taking the Neuro class and the seminar instead of Histology...but I think I'll probably stick with Histo. Histo scares me though.

Good choice, here's what they recommend:

1. Strongly recommended for those planning to go to medical or dental school:
ANAT 611 Histology- 5 credit hours- it is a subject which is part of the first year medical and dental curriculum. The course content correlates well with Physiology, so that you are often studying the structure and function of the same systems. The microscope lab allows you to meet other certificate students, and interact on a more personal level with the faculty (as compared to a strictly lecture course).

2. For those students who may already have had histology as an undergraduate course, or have a particular interest in oncology (cancer). It is a research-based graduate course. Immunology is also a course in the first year medical curriculum.

3. For those with an undergraduate background and particular interest in neurobiology who may, or may not, stay for the Masters Program and do research in the field of neuroscience:
NEUS 609 Cellular & Molecular Neuroscience- 4 credit hours- an advanced course in neuroscience

4. For those interested in research who may be considering staying for the Masters Program should consider taking this one-hour seminar course that will acquaint you with contemporary areas of biomedical research.

Source: http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/documents/electiveadvice_Fall2010.pdf

Good choice, here's what they recommend:

1. Strongly recommended for those planning to go to medical or dental school:
ANAT 611 Histology- 5 credit hours- it is a subject which is part of the first year medical and dental curriculum. The course content correlates well with Physiology, so that you are often studying the structure and function of the same systems. The microscope lab allows you to meet other certificate students, and interact on a more personal level with the faculty (as compared to a strictly lecture course).

2. For those students who may already have had histology as an undergraduate course, or have a particular interest in oncology (cancer). It is a research-based graduate course. Immunology is also a course in the first year medical curriculum.

3. For those with an undergraduate background and particular interest in neurobiology who may, or may not, stay for the Masters Program and do research in the field of neuroscience:
NEUS 609 Cellular & Molecular Neuroscience- 4 credit hours- an advanced course in neuroscience

4. For those interested in research who may be considering staying for the Masters Program should consider taking this one-hour seminar course that will acquaint you with contemporary areas of biomedical research.

Source: http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/documents/electiveadvice_Fall2010.pdf

Oh cool thanks. Yea, I'll just stick with the Histology. However, I really don't like the second semester options. I wanted to be able to take a Immunology and a Neuroscience class in the second semester. But there is no immunology course and the Neuroscience course they do offer is 5 credits. So if I take that with the seminar that's six credits out of 7, and I don't want to take too many credits, I wanted to stick with exactly 7...